Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Great, Rare, Live KISS Stuff...

Old 06-03-07, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great, Rare, Live KISS Stuff...

From one of my favorite tours...

1980 - RARE live song!

From 12/04/85 in Dallas... (Poor audio & video, but check out the band's energy on stage! Much higher energy than in the 70's.)

Silent footage put to studio recordings (no song matches) - check out the KISS Logo for this tour! (And more of their on stage energy - I forgot just how hyper they were back in the mid 80's!)

The last tour KISS did a cover song...

Same song 10 years later...

The "Missing" Midnight Special song from KISSology...
Old 06-03-07, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Japan 1988

1981 on Fridays
Old 06-04-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good stuff, I've never seen the 1980 clip of them performing "Is That You?". I'm really hoping that the next KISSology volume will include some good stuff from the "Unmasked" era (what little there is, mostly from the Australian tour) as well as good quality (if possible) footage of the songs they performed on Fridays in '81.
Old 06-04-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Awesome. KISS always knew how to "bring it" in live shows.

The FRIDAYS appearance brings back memories. You can also tell they're playiing LIVE and not faking it.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-04-07 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-04-07, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
The FRIDAYS appearance brings back memories. You can also tell they're playiing LIVE and not faking it.
Yep, and that was the only time they even played songs from THE ELDER live until years later. That's why their performances on that episode of FRIDAYS are so cool.
Old 06-05-07, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cultshock
Yep, and that was the only time they even played songs from THE ELDER live until years later. That's why their performances on that episode of FRIDAYS are so cool.
The performances from Fridays were spot-on, too! They were really tight, as if they had toured in support of the album already. I actually like the live versions better - more energy and enthusiasm.
Old 08-04-07, 10:57 AM

For anybody who has Time Warner Cable, if you go to the Music on Demand channel, they are pimping the Kissology2 set. There is a 52 minute 1980 Australian concert on there, as well as some Ace videos (?) from a couple of his solo albums for some reason. It's been a while since I've seen "Rock Soldiers!" I cannot wait for Volume 2.
Old 08-04-07, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That was not the last time KISS did a cover song! They covered "2000 Man" on the 2000 tour. And they covered "God Gave Rock n Roll To You" on the 2004 tour.
Old 08-04-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
That was not the last time KISS did a cover song! They covered "2000 Man" on the 2000 tour. And they covered "God Gave Rock n Roll To You" on the 2004 tour.
True. Although they did do significant rewriting/rearranging to both of those songs (and they both appeared on KISS studio albums), but you are correct.
Old 08-04-07, 06:46 PM
Banned

What tour was that cover of the Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" from, anyway?!? I was not as big a fan of the non-make-up years as I was/am of the make-up stuff, but I saw them on a few of those tours...and I can't believe I never at least HEARD about it! Thanks for that....waycool.
Old 08-04-07, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B5Erik
True. Although they did do significant rewriting/rearranging to both of those songs (and they both appeared on KISS studio albums), but you are correct.
Significant rearranging? It is practically an exact copy of Petra's second version of the song from their album Beat The System from 1984. True some of the lyrics are different but it is some of the worst/lamest lyrics ever by Paul & Gene (and that's saying something).

I personally despise their version and hate that they still sing it so often in concert.

It's even worse when you see Wyld Stallyns do it.
Old 08-04-07, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey, don't be so negative - Be excellent to each other! Wild Stallyns Rule!

Besides, I like KISS' version. It's a lot better than the original Argent version. (I've never heard the Petra version, and I'd be willing to bet that Gene and Paul haven't either. The KISS version is just an amped up, more straightforward Rock version of the Argent song with better lyrics - I hate some of the lyrics in Argent's version, they're too "flowery.")

Last edited by B5Erik; 08-05-07 at 02:36 AM.