Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What's a reasonable price for an autographed CD?

Old 05-25-07, 03:32 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 2,656
What's a reasonable price for an autographed CD?

I have an autographed CD that I am looking to sell. Wondering what kind of price I should be asking for it. I know it varies by the popularity of the artist, but anyone have any tips or some kind of formula I should use to calculate my asking price?
Yavin is offline  
Old 05-25-07, 03:39 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 13,361
check ebay
Spiderbite is offline  
Old 05-25-07, 03:51 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 2,656
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
check ebay
Did that. Not sure if ebay prices are entirely reasonable though
Yavin is offline  
Old 05-25-07, 07:39 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,602
It helps if the person is dead. Finite supply. You can't go by popularity alone. A real popular artists may give out autographs willy-nilly making them almost worthless, while someone less known may fetch a higher price because they rarely sign anything. The item signed can make a difference. You walk up to Sean Connery with a photo of him as Bond and another as Dr. Jones, he signs both, the Bond photo instantly becomes more valuable.
rw2516 is offline  
Old 05-26-07, 01:44 AM
  #5  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: rent-free, apparently.
Posts: 20,344
Originally Posted by rw2516
You walk up to Sean Connery with a photo of him as Bond and another as Dr. Jones, he signs both, the Bond photo instantly becomes more valuable.
sad, but true.


So... OP... who signed the CD and which album is it?
Dan is offline  
Old 05-26-07, 09:13 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Shagrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 7,383
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a related question. I've got a couple autographed cds as well, and one of them is personalized "To Justin:" How does this affect the value at all? I'm sure it brings it down some, just not sure how much.
Shagrath is offline  
Old 05-26-07, 10:43 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
mdc3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 9,921
Personalized brings the value way down - most people (unless they are also named Justin) won't want it... a lot of 'stars' personalize just for that reason, so you can't turn around and make money off of them. The only other tricky thing is people may be concerned about the authenticity of a signature, so it helps if you have photos of the signer.

Like already asked, what artist/album is it you're trying to sell? I've got a bunch of autographed cds displayed on my wall...very cool.
mdc3000 is offline  
Old 05-26-07, 05:36 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 923
Unless I actually witnessed the cd being autographed it's worthless to me.
Leechboy is offline  
Old 05-26-07, 07:38 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
DeanoBKN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5,247
Originally Posted by Leechboy
Unless I actually witnessed the cd being autographed it's worthless to me.
Yep, or it's coming from a place where I know the COA will be 100% legit. I just don't trust places like eBay anymore.
DeanoBKN is offline  
Old 05-26-07, 08:21 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Shagrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 7,383
Originally Posted by mdc3000
Like already asked, what artist/album is it you're trying to sell? I've got a bunch of autographed cds displayed on my wall...very cool.
My personalized items are from Linkin Park and Insane Clown Posse/Twiztid, none of which I'm terribly into anymore. I've got non-personalized autographs from Mudvayne and Nonpoint. I think that's about it for my music autographs, and I have a couple of DVDs signed, but that's for another thread.
Shagrath is offline  
Old 05-26-07, 10:37 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bigjim25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: WV
Posts: 11,217
Originally Posted by Yavin
What's a reasonable price for an autographed CD?
Depends...it ain't one of William Hung's CD is it. I'll pay big bucks for that.
bigjim25 is offline  
Old 05-07-18, 11:23 AM
  #12  
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1
Re: What's a reasonable price for an autographed CD?

So I have a " The Best of Blue Oyster Cult"- Don't Fear the Reaper- CD that has been signed by Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser who was lead guitar & its been signed twice, once on the CD & again on the album cover. He sighed it exactly as I wrote it above in both signiture's. I know it is authentic even though I didn't see him actually sign it since it was a gift, but since I was right next door @ my cousins house who happened to be his neighbor & met him myself after the fact,I have no doubt that it's real, what I've been trying to figure out exactly how much to value it at...? It's 2 signatures,1 on the CD & another on the Paper Insert cover. If anyone has an Idea of what its worth please let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Bob IV is offline  
Old 05-07-18, 11:32 AM
  #13  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,222
Re: What's a reasonable price for an autographed CD?

Originally Posted by Bob IV View Post
So I have a " The Best of Blue Oyster Cult"- Don't Fear the Reaper- CD that has been signed by Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser who was lead guitar & its been signed twice, once on the CD & again on the album cover. He sighed it exactly as I wrote it above in both signiture's. I know it is authentic even though I didn't see him actually sign it since it was a gift, but since I was right next door @ my cousins house who happened to be his neighbor & met him myself after the fact,I have no doubt that it's real, what I've been trying to figure out exactly how much to value it at...? It's 2 signatures,1 on the CD & another on the Paper Insert cover. If anyone has an Idea of what its worth please let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Probably $30-$50

Here are some comparables: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...p2045573.m1684
dex14 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.