Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Cheat Sheet: If you like x : You will Like y

Old 05-21-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Cheat Sheet: If you like x : You will Like y

I've been listening to new progressive folk/rock/punk/pop/Alt Country music for 25+ years. As I get older, it gets harder to keep up. There are a ton of new artists, especially smaller and indie small label.

I thought I would start a cheat sheet thread to assist in some new purchases to assist in seeking out newer bands/artists that remind you of older bands/artists.

Here's one to get it rolling:
If you like: The Talking Heads
you may like
The Arcade Fire; Franz Ferdinand

Background Check:
My Top Bands/Artists
Older: Elvis Costello, Talking Heads, Richard Thompson, CCR, Beatles, Warren Zevon, Graham Parker, B52's, Joe Jackson, Pretenders, BNL, John Hiatt
Current: Snow Patrol, John Mayer, FOW, Keane, Coldplay, Amos Lee, Brandi Carlile, Patty Griffin, Gomez, Ben Kweller, Belle & Sebastian, Rilo Kiley, Ray LaMontagne, Death Cab, Guster, Josh Rouse, Citizen Cope,

Please add some more..
Old 05-21-07, 01:48 PM

Most of the bands you mention are among my favorites as well. Here's some other stuff I'm really into...

Josh Ritter - singer/songwriter in the vein of Josh Rouse but (IMO) far more talented
The Avett Brothers - acoustic roots music trio with beautiful lyrics and harmonies. Think a slightly twangier Guster (though that description doesn't do them justice)
The Hold Steady - Great, straight ahead rock n roll with exceptionally good lyrics
My Morning Jacket - Not really definable by genre. Lead singer has one of the best voices in rock right now
Okkervil River - If you had to pigeonhole them, I'd call them indie folk/alt-country. Black Sheep Boy and Down the River of Golden Dreams are two of my favorite albums of all time
Old 05-21-07, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy

Here's one to get it rolling:
If you like: The Talking Heads
you may like
The Arcade Fire; Franz Ferdinand

also The Futureheads, LCD Soundsystem
Old 05-21-07, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pandora.com
Old 05-21-07, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Pandora.com
I've tried it for a few weeks, but it I found pandora a bust. I swear there must be music in there that was so obscure that there must be pandora family members releasing that stuff.
Old 05-21-07, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
Most of the bands you mention are among my favorites as well. Here's some other stuff I'm really into...

Josh Ritter - singer/songwriter in the vein of Josh Rouse but (IMO) far more talented
The Avett Brothers - acoustic roots music trio with beautiful lyrics and harmonies. Think a slightly twangier Guster (though that description doesn't do them justice)
The Hold Steady - Great, straight ahead rock n roll with exceptionally good lyrics
My Morning Jacket - Not really definable by genre. Lead singer has one of the best voices in rock right now
Okkervil River - If you had to pigeonhole them, I'd call them indie folk/alt-country. Black Sheep Boy and Down the River of Golden Dreams are two of my favorite albums of all time
I've got some Hold Steady, Josh Ritter and My Morning Jacket. Thanks for the referrals on Avett Bors and Okkervil River, I have not sampled those yet.
I'm almost at the point of conquering the Hold Steady, the band kicks ass, but I have to warm to the vocal stylings still.
Old 05-21-07, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can't go wrong with Kings of Leon.
Old 05-21-07, 02:55 PM

If you like Josh Ritter, you might like Richard Hawley

If you like Snow Patrol, you might like Leaves

If you like Belle & Sebastien, you might like Trembling Blue Stars

If you like Gomez, you might like The Zutons, Mystery Jets.

if you like Fountains of Wayne, you might like Straw

if you like the Beatles, you might the Boo Radleys, Apples in Stereo

Last edited by Giles; 05-21-07 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-21-07, 03:47 PM

Okay I'm sure I've mentioned this like 100 times now but I gotta keep plugging these bands.

If you like Man or AstroMan? You may like The Causey Way. If you like the Causey Way you WILL like Pilot Scott Tracy.

If you like The Brian Jonestown Massacre or the Dandy Warhols, you may like The Black Angels.
Old 05-21-07, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you like Fountains of Wayne, you might like Owsley

If you like Keane, you might like Ben Folds

If you like Cake, you might like Spoon

If for some unknown reason you like My Chemical Romance, you might like Lostprophets

If you like vertical horizon, you may like athenaeum.
Old 05-21-07, 07:01 PM

If you like Radiohead you might like Stereolab.

If you like ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead you might like I Love You But I've Chosen The Darkness.

If you like X you might like The Ex.

If you like Love Spirals Downwards you might like Soul Whirling Somewhere.

If you like Death Cab for Cutie you might like Cute Is What We Aim For.

If you like Kittie you might like Pet.

If you like Some Girls you might like Everybody Else.

If you like Sarah McLachlan you might like Tara MacLean, Natalie MacMaster, Nelly McKay, Maria McKee, Bonnie McKee, Loreena McKennitt, Lori McKenna, Erin Mckeown, Shannon McNally, Holly McNarland and Dido.

And of course, if you like Patti Smith you might like Patty Smyth.

Last edited by Tscott; 05-22-07 at 01:00 AM.