DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Nickel Creek & Fiona Apple Tour! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/500817-nickel-creek-fiona-apple-tour.html)

woofman 05-16-07 08:56 PM

Nickel Creek & Fiona Apple Tour!

Nickel Creek & Fiona Apple will be playing a limited number of dates together this Summer. Two artists who both put on incredible shows! I paid $25 for my ticket, can't be that for two great shows.

8.02.07 Baltimore, MD
Pier Six Concert Pavilion Nickel Creek w/
very special guest Fiona Apple

8.03.07 Glen Allen, VA
Innsbrook Pavilion Nickel Creek w/

8.04.07 Charlottesville, VA
Charlottesville Pavilion Nickel Creek w/

8.05.07 Charlotte, NC
Ovens Auditorium Nickel Creek w/

8.07.07 Columbus, OH
The LC Pavillion Nickel Creek w/

8.09.07 Milwaukee, WI
Riverside Theater Nickel Creek w/

8.10.07 Highland Park, IL
Ravinia Pavilion Nickel Creek w/

8.11.07 Rochester Hills, MI
MeadowBrook Music Festival Nickel Creek w/

8.12.07 Peoria, IL
CEFCU Center Stage at the Landing Nickel Creek w/

8.16.07 Rochester, NY
High Falls Festival Site Nickel Creek w/

Rogue588 05-16-07 09:00 PM

Fiona + http://www.8notes.com/images/artists/nickelback.jpg :hscratch:

I know, I know, but for some reason I always think of them when I hear this band's name. Must be the "nickel"...

Duh Vuh Duh 05-17-07 09:39 AM

Woofman, wow, that's eerie, I was just thinking of starting a Nickel Creek thread about a day ago and never did it. I second woofman, Nickel Creek is absolutely incredible and if you get a chance to see them live, it will be one of the best shows you've ever been to. Also, they are going on indefinite hiatus at the end of this year, so catch them while you can.

I discovered them through watching Mutual Admiration Society (Glen Phillips+JPJ+Nickel Creek) on "Breakfast with the Arts" on A&E, then picked up Nickel Creek self titled and the rest is history.

Here is a quick bio of the band and announcement of the tour. I spoilerized it because of length.

Spoiler:
NICKEL CREEK
BIO FOR “FAREWELL (FOR NOW) TOUR”

This might take a little while. Nickel Creek is pulling out the stops for its 2007 tour because there won't be one next year. Maybe not the following… Calling for an “indefinite hiatus,” is not hype, but indeed, a needed break.

The band's three members - Chris Thile, Sean Watkins and Sara Watkins - have spent two-thirds of their lives in Nickel Creek, creating a mutation of pop-smart bluegrass-influenced music that earned them a still-growing audience. The process was simple and has been in place for years: Record, promote, tour. Repeat.

Performing over 100 dates a year since 2000, Nickel Creek’s fanbase hasn’t stopped expanding. With their virtuosity, surprise covers, ever-changing setlist, and staggering improvisation -- every show is a unique experience. In 2006, their broad appeal secured performances at such diverse festivals as The Telluride Bluegrass Festival, Lollapalooza, Merlefest, Bonnaroo, Austin City Limits Music Festival, and the Cambridge Folk Festival in the UK.

Talk to the three, and not one of them suggests some grand plan for a non-musical wind-down. Thile (mandolin, vocals) has a new bluegrass album, How To Grow A Woman From The Ground that he is promoting. There's also project with bassist Edgar Meyer, and touring with that. There's also an ambitious composition about which he's rather vague.

Sean (guitar, vocals) says he has a number of “irons in the fire,” including a bluegrass EP, and a collaboration with Switchfoot singer (and neighbor) Jon Foreman. He's also looking forward to “surfing a little more.” He and sibling Sara have also created a sort of anything-goes jam session at the popular club Largo, where a number of notable musicians drop in.

Sara (fiddle, vocals) is “… looking forward to finally making my own record next winter, but I'd also love to be a part of as many other projects as possible. . . mixing myself in new musical scenarios that may make me a little uncomfortable, but cause me to grow.”

They all have juggled other work with Nickel Creek for years. But Sean explains that amid its successes Nickel Creek became something of a “big machine. It needs to go or stop. The people working with us, it's their main thing. It's hard for them to work a few weeks here and a few weeks there. The other side of it is that we'll finally have a big chunk of time to explore these other areas that have been looming the past few years. As a musician, you always want to explore new territory.”

Just for the record, nothing bad happened. There were no dishes flung, insults or instruments hurled at one another (though only the guitar would REALLY hurt . . .).

The usual combustible suspects aren't here, because this break wasn't a decision made in fiery times. The band's third album, Why Should the Fire Die?, was bigger, louder and more daring and different than anything Nickel Creek had done. Surely such a creative stretch caused growing pains? Yeah, not really.

“It's actually in part due to how satisfied we were with Fire that we're doing this I feel like it was definitely what we were trying to do. Certainly more so than the other two records, says Thile. “It’s not that now we are banging our heads against the wall creatively, but we'd never want it to come to that. This is just maintenance for the band.”

It should also be noted that this year's tour will wrap a few months before Nickel Creek turns 20. Thile points out that he and Sara have done this since they were eight. Your average band's members would've hit this point in their 40s.

None of the three expresses any regrets for the early start. “I think maybe more than any other attribute that the band has, that kind of defined us, how early we started,” Thile says.

That early start has been well documented. Three fresh-faced pre-teens in San Diego met at a bluegrass event at a local pizza place in 1989. Each happened to play an acoustic instrument. Gigs grew into festival appearances. By 1998 bluegrass star Alison Krauss helped secure a record deal with independent Sugar Hill, and produced a self-titled debut.

That album grew as albums once grew. It didn't make a monstrous first-week splash with a six-figure Soundscan tally. It sold in small bunches, then larger bunches, then much larger bunches, reaching a million in sales. Some credit a bluegrass boom prompted by roots music soundtrack O Brother Where Art Thou? That film surely didn't hurt anyone, but some credit should be placed in the direction of Nickel Creek itself. Small wooden instruments took on rock & roll swagger. The group dazzled with its chops, particularly with marathon runs through their song “The Fox.”

This Side was released in 2002 and advanced the band's fidgety relationship with bluegrass. It included a whispery take on the traditional English folk ballad “House Carpenter” and a cover of “Spit on a Stranger” by alt-rock totems Pavement. It wasn't your grandfather's bluegrass, and fittingly it earned the group a Grammy.

The successes were enviable, but they also create demand for more -- more touring, more experimentation. That led to Why Should the Fire Die? made by a tougher, flintier Nickel Creek.

Now there's the tour. Despite the hints of hiatus, Nickel Creek plans to make this tour its best. The group will be bringing along a number of the friends they’ve made over the years: superproducer Jon Brion, bassist Edgar Meyer, singer-songwriter Glenn Phillips to name a few. Longtime bassist Mark Schatz will again accompany the band.

The shows already have a feeling of event-ness. Comments about the need to recharge are peppered with enthusiastic chatter about the tour.

Says Sara, “The timing for this break is perfect for each of us. It's been a long while that the great majority of our creativity has been focused on this band, this personnel, for these instruments and I know we're going to flourish personally and musically by allowing the Nickel Creek ground to lie fallow for as long as it needs to.”

Sean sounds confident that there will “be a next time around. For the first time, we just don't know when that's going to be.”

So this might take a while. The way good things do.

starman9000 05-17-07 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Fiona + http://www.8notes.com/images/artists/nickelback.jpg :hscratch:

I know, I know, but for some reason I always think of them when I hear this band's name. Must be the "nickel"...

Thats who I thought it was too, I was very confused.

cungar 05-17-07 10:05 AM

I always get them mixed up with Rascal Flats. Not sure which is country and which is rock.

slop101 05-17-07 11:17 AM

I thought Nickel Creek had broken up.
Do they have new album coming out or something?

woofman 05-17-07 12:03 PM

Nickel Creek vs Nickelback: Oh gawd the horror! :lol:

They're not even close.

Nickel Creek had an album come out last year, they're still tourning to support it for this "Farwell (for now) tour", before their break to pursue other projects.

Nickel Creek started more as a contemporary Blue Grass band and have evolved other elements into their music. I can't think of another band doing what they're doing right now, let alone as good as they're doing it, especially live.

Brent L 05-17-07 12:22 PM

I've been a Nickel Creek fan since I first discovered them about 8 years ago or so, I love, love, love Sara Watkins. :)

They're a really interesting act as well. They started out as pretty much just a contemporary bluegrass act, but over the years they've been adding things here and there, becoming some sort of bluegrass/indie rock hybrid. They've had a huge part in introducing the bluegrass sound to young people.

Duh Vuh Duh 05-17-07 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by woofman
I can't think of another band doing what they're doing right now, let alone as good as they're doing it, especially live.

QFT!

NORML54601 05-17-07 02:22 PM

I'm going to try my damndest to get to the Milwaukee show. I've never seen Nickel Creek live but I do have some Mutual Admiration Society shows which all 3 membrs of Nickel Creek were part of and I love them.

CrusaderU.2.K. 05-17-07 03:08 PM

I dont know who nick creek is, but Fiona Apple i am so a fan of. She's cool and her music is very peaceful.

Jocko6577 05-17-07 10:36 PM

I saw them when I worked for a distributer in Woodland, CA and they came to promote their first album at the facility. They had a "churchgoer" vibe to them at that time. Their music has grown, but it was cool to see them at that time and wonder if they would ever make it.

Too bad Fiona isn't coming to Cali. Ever since the Pawn album I have been a huge fan. I wasn't much into her Tidal album.

woofman 05-18-07 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
QFT!

:confused:

slop101 05-18-07 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by woofman
:confused:

That's "internet-speak" meaning "Quoted For the Truth", or QFT.
Lame, I know.

NORML54601 05-21-07 12:12 AM

From Fiona Apple's Myspace blog:

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 6:24 PM
Subject: Nickel Creek & Fiona Apple Announce Collaborative Tour
NICKEL CREEK AND FIONA APPLE ANNOUNCE COLLABORATIVE TOUR

Two Groundbreaking Artists Will Share The Stage As Part of Nickel Creek's "Farewell (For Now) Tour"

Visionary singer/songwriter Fiona Apple will join Nickel Creek's "Farewell (For Now) Tour" for what promises to be a highly collaborative series of shows in August.

The dates begin August 2nd in Baltimore MD, and wrap August 19 in Westbury, NY. Shows in Charlotte, Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago, and a performance at New York's Rumsey Playfield are included. A full itinerary is available on www.nickelcreek.com

The members of Nickel Creek and Apple met several years ago in Los Angeles, and began occasionally working together at the club Largo - an intimate and magnetic music club that has become legendary for stellar lineups and surprise appearances. A loose and friendly musical exchange began with Apple sitting in on Sean and Sara Waktins' 'anything goes' "Watkins Family Hour," and with either Thile or the Watkins returning the favor whenever possible.

For the August dates, fans will be treated to an expansion of those collaborations developed at Largo. Naturally, material will be pulled from both artists' solo catalogues, but fans can also expect to hear anything from pop standards to country classics to modern rock covers. Apple's presentation will be unique in that she will rely on Nickel Creek for back up during her set.

Fiona Apple established herself as a visionary singer/songwriter at age 19 with 1996's debut album, Tidal. That stunning record went on to earn her a Grammy Award in 1998 for "Best Female Rock Vocal Performance," establishing her as an uncompromising and original artist while gaining intensely loyal fans all over the world. Her latest record, the remarkable Extraordinary Machine, was the highest charting album of her career and drew rave reviews from critics nationwide, with the New York Times and Entertainment Weekly each proclaiming it to be the album of the year.

Nickel Creek announced their forthcoming break via Billboard last year to give their fervent fanbase a chance to see them again. The Grammy-winning band wrapped the first leg of the "Farewell (For Now) Tour" after a highly successful string of shows, including performances at Coachella and the inaugural Stagecoach festival. The second leg of the tour will begin July 13 with longtime friend Glenn Philips as the opener. A final leg in October and November will conclude the tour. Award-winning acoustic bassist Mark Shatz, who has been touring with them since 2003, will accompany the band for the entire tour.

This ought to be a phenominal show

woofman 08-06-07 06:02 PM

Two clips from a recent performance: (Nickel Creek as her backup band)

Fiona's "Criminal"
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LmPHCz3Xnbw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LmPHCz3Xnbw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Patsy Cline's "After Midnight"
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OhVuirHObjg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OhVuirHObjg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

WOW!

Tomorrow night I'm there!!!!

Numanoid 08-06-07 10:05 PM

Wow...I've just lost all interest in seeing this bill.

kilcher 08-07-07 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Wow...I've just lost all interest in seeing this bill.

Yeah, I wasn't too impressed either and I've seen Fiona in concert several times.

Jeremy517 08-07-07 12:59 AM

I like Fiona a lot, but that is horrible.

slop101 08-07-07 01:34 AM

I like Nickel Creek, but Fiona sounds (an looks) horrible. She has zero grasp of melody.

kilcher 08-07-07 03:18 AM

For some reason it reminds me of this.

johnroxx 08-22-07 01:04 PM

I'll pass on Fiona, thanks.

I used to see Nickel Creek's Sara and Sean Watkins perform on "open mic night" at a local pizza place here in North San Diego County when they were kids. Been a fan ever since...

;^)