Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Aesop Rock: None Shall Pass - August 28th

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FINALLY!, info on the best album of the year!

NONE SHALL PASS OUT AUGUST 28th on DEFINITIVE JUX

Responsible for all but revolutionizing the entire face of underground hip-hop in the early portion of this decade with a slew of potent and influential releases such as 2000's Float LP, 2001's monumental Labor Days LP, and 2003's Bazooka Tooth to his most recent EP/book, 2004's Fast Cars, Danger, Fire and Knives, Aesop Rock (aka Ian Bavitz) has proven that resting on his past laurels is all but forbidden. In the last year alone, Aesop has released a 45-minute workout mix for Nike+, a short story in collaboration with visual artist Jeremy Fish, and scored music for two short films. 2007 finds Aesop delivering his next full length album, the highly anticipated None Shall Pass on Definitive Jux.

Created over a 2 year period following his last release, None Shall Pass documents not only a vast amount of personal change that Aesop experienced over this time, but deftly depicts scenes and stories relative to all ages of life. Production is a vital strong point on this album, with the majority of production duties handled by Aesop's longtime partner Blockhead. El-P and Rob Sonic each make offerings, while Aesop himself confidently produces a large portion of his own tracks as well. The duality of Aesop's hectic stream-of-thought coupled with the complex production on this album makes no exception to Aesop Rock's consistent pedigree, blazing a trail far ahead of his peers with an album that will be followed for years to come.
Tracklisting:
1. Keep Off The Lawn
2. None Shall Pass
3. Catacomb Kids
4. Bring Back Pluto
5. Fumes
6. Getaway Car (feat. Cage and Breeze Brewin)
7. 39 Thieves
8. The Harbor is Yours
9. Citronella
10. Gun For The Whole Family (feat. El-P)
11. Five Fingers
12. No City
13. Dark Heart News (feat. Rob Sonic)
14. Coffee (feat. John Darnielle)

None Shall Pass Tour Dates

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/67iLknqtLFI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/67iLknqtLFI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Lyrics to None Shall Pass
flash that buttery gold, jittery zeitgeist wither by the watering hole, what a patrol, what are we to heart huckabee art fuckery suddenly? not enough young in his lung for the waterwings? colorfully vulgar poacher outta mulch like "i'm 'a pull the pulse out a soldier and bolt". fine. sign of the time we elapse when a primate climb up a spine and attach. eye for an eye by the bog's life swamps and vines, they get a rise out of frogs and flies, so when a dog fight's hog-tied prize sorta costs a life, the mouths water on a fork and knife, and the allure isnt right. it's gore on a war torn beach where the cash cow's actually beef. blood turns wine when it leak for police like that's not a riot it's a feast, let's eat

and i will remember your name and face on the day you are judged by the funhouse cast
and i will rejoice in your fall from grace with a cane to the sky like 'none shall pass'

if you never had a day a snow cone couldn't fix, you wouldn't relate to the rogue vocoder blitz, how he spoke thru a no-doz motor on the fritz, cuz he wouldn't play roll over fetch like a bitch, and express no regrets, though he isn't worth a homeowner's piss to the jokers who pose by the glitz. fine. sign of the swine in the swarm when a king is a whore who comply and conform. miles outside of the eye of the storm, with a siphon to lure out a prize and award, while avoiding the vile and bazaar that is violence and war, true blue triumph is more, like wait, let it snake up outta the centerfold, let it break the walls of jericho, ready? go. sat where the old cardboard city folk swap tales with heads like every other penny throw.

chorus

ok woke to a grocery list. it goes like this: duty and death. anyone object come stand in the way, you could be my little snake river canyon today, and i ran with a chain of commands and a jet pack strap where the back-stab lands if it can. fine. sign of the vibe in the crowd when i cut a belly open to find what climbs out. what a bit of gusto he muster up, to make a dark horse rush like enough's enough, it musta struck a nerve so they huff and puff, til all the king's men fluster and clusterfuck, and it's a beautiful thing, to my people who keep an impressive wingspan even when the cubicle shrinks, you gotta pull up the intruder by the root of the weed, NY chew thru the machine

chorus

Last edited by Quake1028; 07-19-07 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-11-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like Aesop quite a bit, but he's even harder to understand than Ghostface. It's like a random word generator.
Old 05-13-07, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my most anticipated album of the year.
Old 05-13-07, 04:42 PM

new interview at pitchfork

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/n...e-storytelling
Old 06-06-07, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Added the coverart to the first post. Awesome.
Old 07-19-07, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

New info including tour dates added to first post!
Old 07-19-07, 02:36 PM
Banned

Great album! Too bad only the promo copy is out. The voiceovers are annoying. Loving the album though
Old 07-26-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Added the coverart to the first post. Awesome.
Personally, I find Aesop Rock's cover art to be excruciatingly bad... It's not as bad as the Volta cover, but it's pretty darn close.

Bazooka Tooth's cover was also horrendously awful. The sad part is that it does affect my judgment of the content too. If he can't choose good cover art, then his artistry is undermined, IMO.

I mean, it would be better to do something innocuous or uninspiring than something that's simply ugly...

Again, just my opinion...
-ringding-
Old 08-21-07, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One more week people!

Link to pics from the "Coffee" video shoot:
http://upperplaygroundglobal.blogspo...ares-some.html

Lyrics to "Citronella"
CITRONELLA

i stood before the glittery borders of new radius in search of the fabled city of mud and crushed velvet, what i found was a gutter where the love of entertainment meets the lust for blood and demerits, cutters of the pie throw your summers in the sky, collar pop jolly roger, die motherfucker die, apache on the ship shape and bristol fashion snuck a jammy through the red tape and tip toe past him. worm teeth grinding feverishly below, as little organic hacksaws eager to feed and grow, so when it's blackhawk over the glass walk, they surface up through the cash crops with clippers for your belly-up mascots, and never dine alone, meanwhile back at sea level it was home by home zone for zone, bloom county's homeless riot for home ownership, i hope you put gas in the motor-home and know the roads, i studied with the finest combs stuck under my thumb as opposed to the loaded nose who pray armageddon is numb and that's unevenly rendered to those who grew up thinking faith was the surrender of reason but not a reason to surrender. catch the liberty fires catalog, 40 torched orchids and citronella for algernon, don and vagabond alike repent, this shit should have gone "beta burns babylon, the end".

chorus:
and when the radio stars climbed up out of the floors to murder the medium that shot 'em 30 years before they said...
and when the cutters of the pie throw your summers in the sky, no love lost baby the future is so bright...

nothing says charm like an armored car taking the clone-farm 'tards to the arms bizarre, we were the homemade marker makers born to pour the marsh ink into right guard parts and march through the gauntlet of car alarms, no harps, no delusions of losing with something prettier than ash around the metacarpal still clutching the teddy bears, we can run with scissors through the city fair or situate the nuzzle with the subtle art of splitting hairs, double park the shuttle, some will arc the funneled cutty sark where budding narcs target the gushing heart in the muddy clarks, these are the vices of the p-noid bastards who will chew whatever tablets blur the axioms fastest, crews lose lunches by the hundreds, lose electricity, lose gas, phone, plumbing, humming keep your mouth closed, keep your cows cloned, go, i am the pulse of this fucking town, homes, no. my what a convenient embargo, at least i'll always know which side of the gun i'm supposed to buy the farm from, the too-far-gone kicks still in the box, fix still in the pill in his sock ,chilling, gill in the slop, and a million watch gideon scribes, but once the arc honor pussy and bribes, the animals will divide and that's a win for the garish who keep charity in the parish while profiting off the lack of a marriage amongst the classes.

chorus

the mobile infantry is so postal, coast into the quotient provoking the local pistol pete, choking his liberty and justice quotas and cloaking his folk in smithereens, smokey little pile of bloody pulp and co-dependencies. dopey no surrender bender in effect, sole defenders of the longest night new york had never slept, and there were jumping jacks and whistlers over christmas, like rockets from the crypt spilling the festive morning beverage of your preference, i step in hog heaven, stoney with no weapons, pissing on TelePrompTers, selling megaphones to hecklers, who broadcast 80 million versions of the sermon for that one indisputable masterpiece before the curtains, pale arcadian moon, high definition flat plasma, Imax city-wide transfer, artificial einstein-rosen out the tenement, ease into the xanadu, let it hammer the tension out, i'm talking cool, calm, dominant phenomenal, monitor face to the wall opposite. u.f.o.'s and locusts sing the same old song while the weathermen get retarded as the day is long

chorus
Old 08-21-07, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DrRingDing
Personally, I find Aesop Rock's cover art to be excruciatingly bad... It's not as bad as the Volta cover, but it's pretty darn close.

Bazooka Tooth's cover was also horrendously awful. The sad part is that it does affect my judgment of the content too. If he can't choose good cover art, then his artistry is undermined, IMO.

I mean, it would be better to do something innocuous or uninspiring than something that's simply ugly...

Again, just my opinion...
-ringding-

You will hate the video to "None Shall Pass" also, it was done by the same artist, Jeremy Fish.
Old 08-21-07, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If people aren't feeling the video, check out a live performance:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xUelF3lKnvM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xUelF3lKnvM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

That's insane breath control. I'm really enjoying the album. Much more of a throwback to Float and Labor Days.
Old 08-22-07, 07:49 AM

I'll be picking this up on eMusic.com. Can't wait!
Old 08-22-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whoever said his lyrics are like a random word generator, they were right on.

= J
Old 08-22-07, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matt925
If people aren't feeling the video, check out a live performance:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xUelF3lKnvM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xUelF3lKnvM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

That's insane breath control. I'm really enjoying the album. Much more of a throwback to Float and Labor Days.
Look in the first post silly.
Old 08-28-07, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone else grab this? After 3 listens it's clearly my album of the year thus far. FWIW, Best Buy had it in store for $12.99 even though it's not on their site. CC has it on their site but it's nowhere to be found in store.
Old 08-29-07, 01:19 AM

Thanks for the reminder! I am going to grab this tonight on eMusic, where this showed up today. A good deal for anyone who is a member over there.
Old 08-29-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
It's like a random word generator.

Great way to describe it. Listening to the new album after hearing so much talk about Aesop.. Like his flow, but it does sound like just randomness
Old 08-29-07, 06:28 PM

It might seem random at first but there is meaning there, he can be quite deep actually. Digging the new album so far, need to listen more.