Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Who was more popular at the height of their career...Duran Duran or Depeche Mode?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Who was more popular at the height of their career...Duran Duran or Depeche Mode?

Old 05-14-07, 01:08 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by redhenry
As informative as wiki can be, it is riddled with inaccuracies and bias as it's largely written by people like you and I. I would never use it as sole source of enlightenment.

And neither would I. My first "citation" was answers.com.

So far as I can tell, no-one here has suggested that DM "beat" DD.

Maybe what people have wanted to point out, after considering the original question, is that, because fame can be fleeting, measuring fan approval over a short period is perhaps less insightful than looking at durability e.g. if one were to look at comparative record/cd/ticket sales over the best ever month and compare it with sales over say a one, two or five year period, you might get astoundingly different answers.

Clearly I am not alone in thinking that it seems a worthwhile distinction to draw.
Old 05-14-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You seeme confused still. The question was who was more popular AT THEIR PEAK, not who was popular for longer!
I agree - seems there are a lot of people missing the question or just huge fans of DM.
Old 05-14-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Flashback
I agree - seems there are a lot of people missing the question or just huge fans of DM.

I don't think anyone has missed the question. Regardless of whether they are huge DM fans or not. They have answered that DD were the most poplular at the height of their career. But you can't just stop there. Longevity and overall numbers need to be pointed out. Please see the Moderators post above. Also, DM were just as popular during the "Violator" era as DD were during their early 80's peak. At least here in America.
Old 05-14-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RichDB10
As for the topic at hand...not even close!!!..certainly not here in the UK...i think a lot of commercial success relied on appeal to young girls who formed the majority of the record buying public....and let's face it i think Simon Le Bon and Andy Taylor were far ahead of Dave Gahan and Martin Gore in those stakes!!!
I disagree totally. Dave Gahan circa Violator was much better looking than any of Duran Duran looked in their peaks IMO.
Old 05-14-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I don't think anyone has missed the question. Regardless of whether they are huge DM fans or not. They have answered that DD were the most poplular at the height of their career. But you can't just stop there. Longevity and overall numbers need to be pointed out. Please see the Moderators post above. Also, DM were just as popular during the "Violator" era as DD were during their early 80's peak. At least here in America.
that is true, Violator was huge, remember the record store signing incident? The difference is that DM took a much longer time to really get off the ground in America while Duran exploded with the advent of MTV, by the time of Violator when Depeche had officially crossed over in America, Duran was already well out.

I like both, but there's no comparison musically, Depeche has a much stronger catalog. The string of albums from Some Great Reward to Violator blow away any ALBUMS Duran ever recorded.
Old 05-14-07, 09:00 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by OutRun2
WHOAH bold statement! Kraftwerk wants a word with you
There's no question that KW have their spot in electronic history, but I'll actually say they were somewhat overrated. While they certainly were forerunners in the scene, I'd actually say that over time, DM have had a larger influence. KW introduced alot of musicians to the synth, but DM took the baton and ran off with it.

I'm sure many will disagree, but sometimes I think people rate Kraftwerk so high only because they think they're supposed to.
Old 05-14-07, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Supergroup Duran Duran hands down. Depeche Mode had what? One big hit or maybe two?
Old 05-14-07, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Duran Duran... easy
Old 05-14-07, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unless I died for several years, I don't recall any time in my life when DM was more popular than DD AT THEIR PEAK. Madonna influenced fashion and DD were so big, so did they. I have some scary pictures that proves this. That's pretty big.

I'm the perfect age for this, because I was around 15 when DD really exploded and saw them in concert in 1984. The women, about 75% of the audience, were bloody hysterical. The men who attended benefited greatly from this after the show and the was one of the best nights of my life.

I think if you went back and polled the 300 students in my graduating class, class of '86, those who were teenagers during the DD peak years, even looking back and whose career lasted longer, you'd probably get 8 out of 10 saying DD at their peak.

As far as who was better, more influencial, had the better overall career, well, I'll leave that to the critics and those who want to crunch numbers and try to illustrate one point over another simply because they prefer one of the bands over the other.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 05-14-07 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-14-07, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by big whoppa
Supergroup Duran Duran hands down. Depeche Mode had what? One big hit or maybe two?
you're kidding, right?

Just Can't Get Enough
People Are People
Strangelove
Personal Jesus
Enjoy The Silence

and those are just the ones everyone knows, they had a lot of smaller hits.
Old 05-14-07, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nothingfails
you're kidding, right?

Just Can't Get Enough
People Are People
Strangelove
Personal Jesus
Enjoy The Silence

If you took those songs and maybe set up a booth at a concert where you might find a lot of 35-40 year olds and asked them to rate those songs as hits (the lower the number the smaller the hit) and then did the same thing with DD's songs like:

Is There Something I Should Know?
The Reflex
Save A Prayer
Rio
Hungry Like A Wolf
Girls On Film

I just don't even think it would be close. DD would win big and I, personally, love every DM song that you listed. I also not only left off some of DD's smaller hits (including pretty much every song on Rio that didn't become a smash single/video) but some really, really big hits as well.
Old 05-14-07, 10:03 PM

They have answered that DD were the most poplular at the height of their career. But you can't just stop there. Longevity and overall numbers need to be pointed out.
I stopped there cause that was what the original question asked. I think it's pretty clear that as a career, DM could probably claim a better return.

"Longevity and overall numbers need to be pointed out." - but only if that's what was being asked, and it wasn't.

DD's peak was brief-ish (three years or so) but the saturation they enjoyed was far greater than that of DM at their respective peak.
Old 05-14-07, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Unless I died for several years, I don't recall any time in my life when DM was more popular than DD AT THEIR PEAK. Madonna influenced fashion and DD were so big, so did they. I have some scary pictures that proves this. That's pretty big.

I'm the perfect age for this, because I was around 15 when DD really exploded and saw them in concert in 1984. The women, about 75% of the audience, were bloody hysterical. The men who attended benefited greatly from this after the show and the was one of the best nights of my life.

I think if you went back and polled the 300 students in my graduating class, class of '86, those who were teenagers during the DD peak years, even looking back and whose career lasted longer, you'd probably get 8 out of 10 saying DD at their peak.

As far as who was better, more influencial, had the better overall career, well, I'll leave that to the critics and those who want to crunch numbers and try to illustrate one point over another simply because they prefer one of the bands over the other.
This has nothing to do with preference or crunching numbers. A fact is a fact. DD came out and were huge. Bigger than DM "at their peak". No one here is disputing that. But then they died on the vine. Big time. Here, nearly 25 years later, Depeche Mode are selling out 55,000 venues. And still selling records. Whether you want to admit it or not. Will Duran Duran ever see the fame they once had? Time will tell. They hired hit maker and in demand producer Timbaland to helm their next album. So it seems they're definitely looking for it. But "Astronaut" and it's tour were not the exactly a success. And last, the critics have never liked DD's studio efforts. DM were like that at the beginning of their career, but that changed from "Black Celebration" on.
Old 05-14-07, 10:10 PM

I am not confused. I understood the question. And I also said that DD were the most popular at their peak. I was pointing out that their peak was very short lived. And side by side, career-wise, there really is no comparison. DM are still going strong. DD completely fell off the radar for 10 years and are struggling to make a come back.

Look, I know DM aren't played much in Australia. I have friends in Sydney and Brisbaine and they told me they never play them on the radio anymore. And if they do, it's hardly ever. Didn't DM play in Australia for the first time this past tour? At any rate, we're on the same page here.
I am not sure how many times DM have played live in Australia but yeah I am pretty sure they have played here recently although not on the west coast where I am.

It's also very true that I hear far more DD on commercial radio than DM - although both are worthy of airplay, DD have a stronger legacy then DM who really only had one or two significant radio friendly hits here as opposed to DD who had a good 6 or 8 massive hits over a shorter period. This ensures you stay in the public eye longer, at least that's the general rule.

DM's 'hits' seem to be more spread out and radio aren't as keen to play bands who might have some sort of staying power!
Old 05-14-07, 10:15 PM

This has nothing to do with preference or crunching numbers. A fact is a fact. DD came out and were huge. Bigger than DM "at their peak". No one here is disputing that. But then they died on the vine. Big time. Here, nearly 25 years later, Depeche Mode are selling out 55,000 venues. And still selling records. Whether you want to admit it or not. Will Duran Duran ever see the fame they once had? Time will tell. They hired hit maker and in demand producer Timbaland to helm their next album. So it seems they're definitely looking for it. But "Astronaut" and it's tour were not the exactly a success. And last, the critics have never liked DD's studio efforts. DM were like that at the beginning of their career, but that changed from "Black Celebration" on.
But again we are only talking about the PEAK of each band's popularity. You keep going back to the 'now' - and it's pretty clear that DD would struggle to match DM for that NOW!!!

DD's reign was brief because, well their music was more disposable really, and teenage girls with wet knickers grow up and move on after a few years. DM fans are less likely to be in the demographic and so the band 'keeps' more of their fans.
Old 05-14-07, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
If you took those songs and maybe set up a booth at a concert where you might find a lot of 35-40 year olds and asked them to rate those songs as hits (the lower the number the smaller the hit) and then did the same thing with DD's songs like:

Is There Something I Should Know?
The Reflex
Save A Prayer
Rio
Hungry Like A Wolf
Girls On Film

I just don't even think it would be close. DD would win big and I, personally, love every DM song that you listed. I also not only left off some of DD's smaller hits (including pretty much every song on Rio that didn't become a smash single/video) but some really, really big hits as well.

Listen to one of KROQ's Memorial Day or Labor Day weekend countdown sometime. A few years ago, every one DM's singles were on there. Probably most of DD's too. But definitely more DM. And yes, I know DM have always been huge in Southern California. My point is, it just depends on who you ask or your location.

Also, DM were never a commercial band. Nor were they marketed as such until "Violator".
Old 05-14-07, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But again we are only talking about the PEAK of each band's popularity. You keep going back to the 'now' - and it's pretty clear that DD would struggle to match DM for that NOW!!!

DD's reign was brief because, well their music was more disposable really, and teenage girls with wet knickers grow up and move on after a few years. DM fans are less likely to be in the demographic and so the band 'keeps' more of their fans.
No, "we" are not only talking about their peak. I know that was the question. You can stop reminding me. And the question was answered. I (and a few others) are elaborating on both careers. Got it? Can we not have a discussion in addition to agreeing about who "won" at the height of their career? Jesus!
Old 05-14-07, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also, DM were never a commercial band. Nor were they marketed as such until "Violator".
You'll get no argument from me. I mean, the question really does touch on who was more commercial anyway. And DD was more commercial in every way and, like the majority of teens at the time, I bought into it completely.

I will say, I still enjoy quite a bit of their older stuff. I could listen to Rio from beginning to end any day of the week. The put out a concert dvd shot not so long ago in London and I even thought they sounded quite good, it didn't have the feeling of one of those concerts where 80's bands who just get together to play their hits and cash in on people like me. The music held up quite well, I thought, and if it had come out now, I don't think a lot of it would be out of place.

I will say that not only teen girls moved on. So did most fans. That kind of glam style, whether it was rock (Poison) or pop (DD) simply didn't interest me as I got older and went to college. That's probably where DM's "quality" of music might trump DD's. I wouldn't know because I didn't listen to either. The end of the 80's on the radio and at the record stores weren't good for me, music wise, but then came grunge and that was the next thing I latched onto or felt fit who I was at the time.
Old 05-14-07, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Again, as has been pointed out by others already, I was only posting about the title of this thread. My comments were about DD being bigger at their peak, whether in being hugely commercial or having more well known hit singles.

I don't think I ever claimed DD would ever go back to their glory days and I really don't care. Again, this is about then and not now...at least according to the OP and my comments. I don't think that I'd buy a DD or a DM album these days, so a lot of these debates don't interest me, which is why I said I'd leave it to the critics, like you, who do care to bring up records sales and concert sales to try and make a case for who has had the best career.

I know that they all live in bigger houses than I do, so since I don't have interest in any new music by either band, only the original question really interests me.
Old 05-15-07, 12:27 AM

I don't understand why so many fans of DD moved on musically. Am I the only one that's stuck in the 80's? Am I the only one that still loves DD's early catalog of music and thinks songs like Rio, HLtW, Reflex, NMoM hold up extremely well today? Don't get me wrong I LOVE Depeche Mode's music to death, but you cannot tell me that Rio and Seven and the Ragged Tiger are not flawless albums!

Even the Wedding album was quite good. Ordinary World and Come Undone are two of the greatest songs ever made by ANY band! I think DD doesn't get enough credit. Who cares about how dated their style was back then. If you really listen to their albums with an open mind I think quite a few songs will grow on you(well, except for "Thank You") of course

At 34 years years old, I think I'm just an 80's kid at heart. Sooo much garbage out there now
Old 05-15-07, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by OutRun2
I don't understand why so many fans of DD moved on musically. Am I the only one that's stuck in the 80's? Am I the only one that still loves DD's early catalog of music and thinks songs like Rio, HLtW, Reflex, NMoM hold up extremely well today? Don't get me wrong I LOVE Depeche Mode's music to death, but you cannot tell me that Rio and Seven and the Ragged Tiger are not flawless albums!

Even the Wedding album was quite good. Ordinary World and Come Undone are two of the greatest songs ever made by ANY band! I think DD doesn't get enough credit. Who cares about how dated their style was back then. If you really listen to their albums with an open mind I think quite a few songs will grow on you(well, except for "Thank You") of course

At 34 years years old, I think I'm just an 80's kid at heart. Sooo much garbage out there now
I love the 80's too. And I listen to Sirius 22 all the time. I throw at least two DD songs on any compilation disc I make for friends and parties. You can't think of the 80's without thinking of DD. I think their earlier stuff worked best. That's why I think working with Timbaland is a huge mistake. Do you remember the Human League's work with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis? Woof! Well, save for "Human". I don't know who DD should work with today. But definitely not someone who's big for R&B. Horrible mistake IMO.
Old 05-15-07, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nothingfails
you're kidding, right?

Just Can't Get Enough
People Are People
Strangelove
Personal Jesus
Enjoy The Silence

I know People are People and maybe Strangelove. That's all I heard on the radio. I'd rather listen to Howard Jones, frankly.
Old 05-15-07, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know People are People and maybe Strangelove. That's all I heard on the radio. I'd rather listen to Howard Jones, frankly.
You've never heard "Enjoy the Silence" or "It's No Good" on the radio??

Anyway, speaking of Howard Jones, I highly highly recommend his last album. It was released in 2005. It's pure electronic. Sounds like it's straight out of the 80's and yet fresh. Same with the Human League's last album, "Secrets" (2001). Both sadly came and went unnoticed.
Old 05-15-07, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like we have a jokester here.

hahaa.
Old 05-15-07, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You would have to been living in a cave to not have not heard Personal Jesus and Enjoy the silence.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.