Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever want to go to a concert, but can't find anyone to go with?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Ever want to go to a concert, but can't find anyone to go with?

Old 05-13-07, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
I don't mind going to the movies by myself (but, if I had my choice, i'd rather take my girlfriend), but I can't go to concerts by myself for some reason.
I feel the same way.
Old 05-14-07, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last year I bought Wilco tickets and couldn't get anyone to go with me becuase it was a 1 hour drive, which I thought was really weak. I ended up not going, which sucked.

Then, a couple months later I had tickets to My Morning Jacket and couldn't get anyone to go. I decided to go alone, which was really weird, but I wasn't throwing away another $100.

I went by myself and it was fine. I liked having some extra elbow room anyway.

I'm still not big on going alone, but if your wife/SO doesn't like your music, sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
Old 05-14-07, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
I didn't choose them over Arcade fire - doing both.
Yeah, I realized that. I must have worded my post wrong. I meant it sounds like your friends would rather see Hold Steady than Arcade Fire since none of them will go with you.
Old 05-14-07, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Yeah, I realized that. I must have worded my post wrong. I meant it sounds like your friends would rather see Hold Steady than Arcade Fire since none of them will go with you.
The bastards are anti-Canadian. Perhaps because i flaunt the maple leaf constantly.
Old 05-14-07, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used to go alone to concerts simply because none of my friends really liked the music I was into.

One year I went to a local music festival and then saw Garbage the next weekend. Both concerts were cool because at the local one I ran into some people I knew from school (in HS at the time) and then at the Garbage show I started chatting it up with some people while waiting in line and I hung out with them for a bit.

Nowadays I go to concerts with my girlfriend.
Old 05-15-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock
But at a concert, there's the wait before and in between acts where I'd probably feel unconfortable.

Unfortunately, my friends don't always share the same taste in music as me, so I miss out on some concerts. But after seeing the responses here, maybe I should try it sometime.
Do it. I used to go alone a lot because people where not interested in the shows I wanted to go to. I also ALWAYS end up talking to people at the show during the down times. And when I was single I used to get dates from the women at the shows as well. Think about it, there is a common interest already between people at the show and yourself. I never felt weird about it at all. These were mainly large theater, club shows. After a while you start to see some of the same people you have met before. Then again I am in a large city were going to shows is not that difficult to do by walking, cab etc.
Old 05-15-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have no problem going to shows by myself. i usually have to since my friends dont like a lot of the artist I like. I like alot of underground/independent hip hop and they all like the mainstream/commercial bs that mtv and the radio play all the time.
Old 05-30-07, 01:39 AM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts
Oh man this thread just applied to me this week!!!

The B-52s were doing a FREE show here in Omaha, NE and I asked a friend to go with me. He said "Sure Ill go" so I was set.

Now keep in mind...before the show I probably would never pay to see them play but thought it would be cool to see them do "Love Shack" and of course their best song "Rock Lobster"....

Well my friend bailed about 2 hours before the show...so I said "Screw it...Im going anyways...its a free show.."

I must say...even though they are pretty old anymore...they still put on one heck of a show!!! After that I now have a new appreciation for them (will buy more albums than just their "best of") and would definetly pay to see them again...yes the show was that much fun!!!

But yes...this thread hit me this week like a ton of bricks!
Old 05-30-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just go alone! I can't even count how many concerts/clubs I've gone alone to (including Nirvana and about 1000 others).

I'd rather go alone than with someone else! When you go with someone else, you're at their mercy (especially if they're driving). I saw Janes Addiction play a club back in '87 or '88 and had to leave early because my ride wanted to leave.

Going alone, it's much easier to get/sneak backstage too!
Old 05-30-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I saw Janes Addiction play a club back in '87 or '88 and had to leave early because my ride wanted to leave.
Who leaves a concert before it's over? That's crazy talk.
Old 05-30-07, 01:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
thankfully the guy with the big fat head, left before the ending of last night's Keane show at the 9:30.
Old 05-30-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had 2 tickets to see BB King and i couldn't find anyone to go...I have regretted not going ever since.
Old 05-30-07, 01:51 PM

I'm a creature of habit, I like to see concerts and matinee movies on my own... if I can find someone to go with, fine, but if I can't and I really really want to go I won't miss it on account of someone not being able to go with me.
Old 05-30-07, 01:57 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
I go to see shows all the time alone, I'd say 3 of 4 shows I see alone, and I have no problem with it, there are a couple of groups in SF that do the concerts thing, I didn't know about them but a co-worker I met at a show told me.

It's an email list, and normally you'll meet like minded people, but for the most part I don't like having to worry about where to stand, or where other people like to see the show.

for example, mrs bdb really only likes seated concerts, our 2 friends we go with sometimes, and myself prefer standing in the crowd.. So when we are all going to the show its a compromise.

When I go solo, I stand where I like, get a drink when I like, chat with the folks around me, I have no problem with that. Most of the shows I go to have a similar crowd.

Also I have no problem going to see a movie by myself, none. heck thats a lot easier.
Eating alone I can do, but prefer to eat with someone.
Old 05-30-07, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I go to see shows all the time alone, I'd say 3 of 4 shows I see alone, and I have no problem with it, there are a couple of groups in SF that do the concerts thing, I didn't know about them but a co-worker I met at a show told me.

It's an email list, and normally you'll meet like minded people, but for the most part I don't like having to worry about where to stand, or where other people like to see the show.

for example, mrs bdb really only likes seated concerts, our 2 friends we go with sometimes, and myself prefer standing in the crowd.. So when we are all going to the show its a compromise.

When I go solo, I stand where I like, get a drink when I like, chat with the folks around me, I have no problem with that. Most of the shows I go to have a similar crowd.

Also I have no problem going to see a movie by myself, none. heck thats a lot easier.
Eating alone I can do, but prefer to eat with someone.
and it's cheaper, when I went with my group of friends to concerts in the past, we all had to do the obligatory 'buy a round of drinks'. I agree about 'where to stand' - I like being up close to the stage. With friends that tends to be closer to the back of the venue.
Old 05-30-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Twice I've posted to fan sites of the groups for local fans and had a great time.
Old 05-30-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been to a number of shows on my own. No big deal.
Old 05-30-07, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Since I'm in a long distance relationship, I can't just go anyplace with my sig. other anymore. I wanted to go to Dinosaur Jr. and Arcade Fire concerts, but can't find anyone to go with. Anyone ever have that problem? What do you do? Go by yourself?
Yes, I go by myself. I even went to Las Vegas alone to see a concert.
Old 05-30-07, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
buying a single ticket can ofen get you a lot closer than trying to buy a pair
Old 05-30-07, 07:37 PM

If the show sucks, I'm out before the encore. Example: Bloc Party.
Old 05-30-07, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

She had seen Janes a few times in the clubs and didn't think it was "any big deal". I knew she wanted to leave, so I hid in the crowd of 300. She was smart. She knew I had to go pee every 10 minutes, so she just waited by the bathroom and said "Let's go. Now." when I had to pee.
Old 05-30-07, 10:04 PM

I may start going by myself. I've missed out on three shows (OK GO, Fratelli's, and Snow Patrol TWICE at a fairly small venue) lately because I couldn't get anyone to go with me. Last night I dragged my wife to see the Killers (by the way they were great, and I'm not necessarily a HUGE fan), and we had to sit the whole time and from my vantage point I couldn't see part of the show and couldn't see the drummer the whole time which sucked.

I have no issue eating by myself(just sit at the bar) especially when out of town on business. I have to say I don't think I would go to the movies by myself but that is because I am really growing tired of the theaters due to theater goers that sit near me seem to get ruder every time I go and I'd prefer to just watch on my home theater.

GREAT thread topic by the way.
Old 05-30-07, 11:36 PM

Although I'd prefer to go to a seated concert with someone, it won't stop me going if I had to go alone. And if it's to a general admission concert (such as the DragonForce moshfest I went to the other week) then in fact I'd prefer to go alone, since I like to try and get right down the front and join in with the crowd, and my wife prefers to stand back and watch.
Old 05-31-07, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Go see the show. People have different tastes in music.

YOU go to the show to see the music. Who gives a F**K if someone goes with you. that's bullsh**

Enjoy the music and the show and talk with your friends the next day.
Old 05-31-07, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Chaza
If the show sucks, I'm out before the encore. Example: Bloc Party.
as I recall the only show where I've done that was Razorlight, god they got repetitious.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.