Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever want to go to a concert, but can't find anyone to go with?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Ever want to go to a concert, but can't find anyone to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-07, 09:23 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've gone to concerts, festivals, etc by myself.

Festival-wise, it's the only way to go, unless your group is okay with splitting in order for everyone to see who they desire.

E

P.S. Arcade Fire saved music™ .
Old 06-02-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thankfully I've got a few concert cronies that always go to the shows I want to see with me. I've had a few (most recently Dimmu Borgir in LA) where no one else had tix so I just went alone. Sure it's more fun with friends to hang out and drink, but I go to these shows to see the bands, not socialize. If I'm alone that's cool, the experience is the same for me either way.
Old 06-02-07, 11:55 PM

The two things I probably enjoy more than anything in terms of entertainment: Movies in the theater and live music, are things that my wife is sparingly interested in doing. I see probably 4 or 5 movies a week alone.

I've seen dozens of concerts alone. No big deal. I did have a funny occurrence once at a Vans Warped Tour show a few years back. I was mingling towards the front of the stage to see Dropkick Murphys and a guy near my age (i'm 43) was nearby in the crowd. He leaned over to me and said how crazy this scene was, and I agreed. He then told me he was there bringing his teenaged daughter and friends of hers, and needed to keep a little distance so the could still look "cool". Then he asked how old my kids were.

I told him that my daughter was 20 at the time, and she was off to college in Chicago, I was actually there for myself because I loved the music. His mouth gaped open so far that I thought his jaw had become unhinged. I just kinda shrugged and moved closer to the stage. It was priceless...
Old 06-04-07, 08:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
Thankfully I've got a few concert cronies that always go to the shows I want to see with me. I've had a few (most recently Dimmu Borgir in LA) where no one else had tix so I just went alone. Sure it's more fun with friends to hang out and drink, but I go to these shows to see the bands, not socialize. If I'm alone that's cool, the experience is the same for me either way.
sadly that wasn't the case for the majority of the concerts I saw at the Georgetown (DC) venue: The Bayou (now closed). People talked like there was no tomorrow, during the concert - it was extremely distracting.

Originally Posted by tecumseh1000
The two things I probably enjoy more than anything in terms of entertainment: Movies in the theater and live music, are things that my wife is sparingly interested in doing. I see probably 4 or 5 movies a week alone.

I've seen dozens of concerts alone. No big deal. I did have a funny occurrence once at a Vans Warped Tour show a few years back. I was mingling towards the front of the stage to see Dropkick Murphys and a guy near my age (i'm 43) was nearby in the crowd. He leaned over to me and said how crazy this scene was, and I agreed. He then told me he was there bringing his teenaged daughter and friends of hers, and needed to keep a little distance so the could still look "cool". Then he asked how old my kids were.

I told him that my daughter was 20 at the time, and she was off to college in Chicago, I was actually there for myself because I loved the music. His mouth gaped open so far that I thought his jaw had become unhinged. I just kinda shrugged and moved closer to the stage. It was priceless...
you and me both.

jeesh I'm only 37, but six years from now, I hope I don't look too old for the music scene...
Old 06-04-07, 08:48 AM

I'm flying solo to the 'secret' O.A.R. show tonight at the Knitting Factory (under their high school band name 'Exposed Youth'). I almost always wind up going to shows by myself, as I go to 2-3 a week and it's usually a decision I make an hour before the show stars - I see a lot of locla music, small shows.
Old 07-10-18, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,507 Posts
Re: Ever want to go to a concert, but can't find anyone to go with?

Yeah I know, holy thread bump!

Well, 11 year ago me was not sure if I could go to a concert by myself (judging by my answer earlier in this thread which I don't remember posting!) but I'm finally going to break my "attending a concert solo" cherry next month. I'm a big fan of Dimmu Borgir and they are doing a very limited four date North American tour next month including a date near me, I personally don't know anyone who is a fan so I thought "Fuck it!" I really want to see this show so bought one ticket. I'll feel a little weird at first but am stoked for the show. Plus in my experience, metal fans are pretty friendly with each other, it's like a little family, so I'm sure I'll find someone to talk with before and inbetween the sets.
Old 07-11-18, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I used to live in the DC area I had a concert buddy. We used to attend at least one concert a month.

I moved to California, and it was mostly concerts by myself, sometimes with my gf/wife. Later we had kids, so most of the time it was mostly my myself. Later again with my wife, and lately it's the whole family. Last year we went to the Ohana Fest in Southern California. Our daughter that's in college flew to meet us there, and the rest did the drive from San Jose. Fun times.

I still go to some concerts for myself, but right now I don't remember when was the last time that happened.
Old 07-11-18, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I’ve gone to a few concerts alone (Eddie Vedder, Pearl Jam, and one of the times I saw Foo Fighters). It’s not something I’m a huge fan of doing but I’d rather have gone than missed the shows I went to. All the times I went alone I at least traveled with my dad and we were able to do other things before the shows.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-11-18 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-11-18, 07:24 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

I go to shows alone all the time. I'm not missing out on something because someone isn't coming with me.
Old 07-11-18, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I probably go to about half my shows alone. Basically, if it's a show I really want to see, I'm going regardless.

With friends the whole evening is more fun, because we usually go out to dinner before the show, and have drinks afterward and talk about the band.

Alone, it's not quite as fun, but it's a much cheaper evening and I still enjoy the actual concert just as much.
Old 07-11-18, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Was just thinking about this- I gave up long ago and just gone by myself. One of my friends refuses to go to any shows now because the last one he went to they patted down everyone on the way in. Meanwhile I have a bucket list of artists I want to see while they're still performing.
Old 07-11-18, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Going to see Kool Keith tomorrow night by myself.
Old 07-12-18, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I saw Clownvis Presley and The Blasters by myself a couple weeks ago.

My wife (not the same wife I mentioned last time I posted in this thread) isn't into most of the current bands I'm into, and it's tough for her to do weeknight shows. I was home by a little before midnight so it wasn't too bad. I couldn't do it every night but every couple weeks is do-able.

Sometimes it's fun to do the group thing, but I like being able to go where I want during the show, etc.
And good point about bands who may not be around much longer - that's exactly my thought, if a band I'm into comes, I'm going to try to see them, because more and more are no longer performing, for various reasons.

Go, enjoy the experience.
Old 07-12-18, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, as a Pearl Jam fan sometimes is hard because the club fan tickets are usually sold in pairs. So I have to buy a pair and see what to do with the other ticket. By Ten Club rules you can't sell it over value, for a Temple of the Dog concert in SF I ended up just wasting the additional ticket. I just didn't have time to even give it away for free.
Old 07-12-18, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Just happened to me recently. I got GA tickets to see U2 in Boston last month and due to some health issues that have gotten worse, I was unable to stand for more than a few minutes at a time so I ended up spending most of the show in the concourse sitting on the stairs listening to the show while the cramps in my legs spasmed away. I was almost vomiting from the pain. Every so often I would make my way back down and stand for a song or 2 before I had to leave. I felt so bad for my buddy who I treated as I had to leave him alone for most of the show. He loved it and had a great time but I wanted to try and see another show from seats.

So I attempted to get tickets to the July 3 show at Mohegan Sun but I was unable to get anyone to go so I ended up not going despite seeing cheap tickets to the show. So disappointing.
Old 07-12-18, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

I saw Ravi Shankar (with Anoushka), by myself.

No one I knew was interested, and it turned out to be a good thing, as it allowed me to get a great seat (not needing two or more seats together).
Old 07-12-18, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,507 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Just happened to me recently. I got GA tickets to see U2 in Boston last month and due to some health issues that have gotten worse, I was unable to stand for more than a few minutes at a time so I ended up spending most of the show in the concourse sitting on the stairs listening to the show while the cramps in my legs spasmed away. I was almost vomiting from the pain. Every so often I would make my way back down and stand for a song or 2 before I had to leave. I felt so bad for my buddy who I treated as I had to leave him alone for most of the show. He loved it and had a great time but I wanted to try and see another show from seats.

So I attempted to get tickets to the July 3 show at Mohegan Sun but I was unable to get anyone to go so I ended up not going despite seeing cheap tickets to the show. So disappointing.
Oof, that sucks. But I hear you, I'm getting old and can no longer stand through a whole show, my feet can't take it. That's why I always try to get front balcony seats so I can sit down if I have to and still see the show fine. I got such a ticket for next month's concert.
Old 07-12-18, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock

Well, 11 year ago me was not sure if I could go to a concert by myself (judging by my answer earlier in this thread which I don't remember posting!) but I'm finally going to break my "attending a concert solo" cherry next month. I'm a big fan of Dimmu Borgir and they are doing a very limited four date North American tour next month including a date near me, I personally don't know anyone who is a fan so I thought "Fuck it!" I really want to see this show so bought one ticket. I'll feel a little weird at first but am stoked for the show. Plus in my experience, metal fans are pretty friendly with each other, it's like a little family, so I'm sure I'll find someone to talk with before and inbetween the sets.

Shit, I did not know Dimmu Borgir was going to tour. I'd like to see them live.

EDIT - saw that they're playing Vegas, so I guess I will not be seeing them live after all.
Old 07-12-18, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I've seen 5 concerts by myself. Lionel Richie twice, Celine Dion, Vanessa Williams, and Chicago. No biggie at all. I've also been to many sporting events by myself.

As I've gotten older, my friends including the close ones, just don't have the same kind of time and schedule like me to do these things.

No point waiting for anyone. Like I do with travel, I just go when I want.
Old 07-12-18, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Fellow metal fan and I've only been to 5 concerts with someone else and only 3 were metal (Mayhem Tour 10 and Iron Maiden last year and Exodus/Municipal Waste last year). I've been to over 50 concert by myself just because no one I know listens to metal and certainly not extreme metal. I love going to concerts by myself. Generally someone will strike up a conversation about a patch on my vest or some other random thing to keep me entertained between sets. Only time I've ever really wished I had someone there is when I go to a concert several hours away and I have to drive alone home. That shit gets boring.
Old 07-12-18, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Oof, that sucks. But I hear you, I'm getting old and can no longer stand through a whole show, my feet can't take it. That's why I always try to get front balcony seats so I can sit down if I have to and still see the show fine. I got such a ticket for next month's concert.
Nice! enjoy the show!

I had seen GNR recently and while the seats were actual seats I stood for the whole show minus a guitar solo. Since that show was over 3 hours I figured I could handle the 2 hour U2 show. Oh how very wrong I was. Man the old age and health issues can creep up on you where you may not feel much different day to day but you try and do something you used to be able to do and realize your body has failed you.
Old 07-12-18, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 436 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I go to shows alone all the time. I'm not missing out on something because someone isn't coming with me.
Same here... I've probably seen an equal amount of shows with or without anyone going with me.
Old 07-12-18, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I should also point out that I don't do festivals anymore - I used to go to KROQ's Weenie Roast and Ozzfests, etc., and outgrew them. I will roll solo to a show if no one else wants to go.
Old 07-12-18, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

I have been to countless shows alone. If I want to see someone, I go. I had a single GA ticket for U2 2 months ago, last minute my friend picked up a seat, so we went together, but I was "alone" the whole show.
Old 07-12-18, 03:10 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by beavis69
Fellow metal fan and I've only been to 5 concerts with someone else and only 3 were metal (Mayhem Tour 10 and Iron Maiden last year and Exodus/Municipal Waste last year). I've been to over 50 concert by myself just because no one I know listens to metal and certainly not extreme metal. I love going to concerts by myself. Generally someone will strike up a conversation about a patch on my vest or some other random thing to keep me entertained between sets. Only time I've ever really wished I had someone there is when I go to a concert several hours away and I have to drive alone home. That shit gets boring.
For the past 5 years or so, I've gone to 20 to 25 metal shows a year. At first, I was going alone, but I tend to do the Meet & Greep VIP, and get the same spot in the front, so I was starting to see the same people at most of the shows, and now a group of us talk on Facebook about shows coming up and who is going to what show.

My daughter graduated college a couple years back, and I've been bringing her to a few shows a year, usually the bigger ones like Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, along with some more mainstream metal bands like Asking Alexandria or Kamelot that I may not have gone on my own to.

But yeah, I'll still go to a few shows alone, I'm there to see the bands. But the social element does help in the excitement for announcements of tours.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.