DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Bananarama remasters (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/500045-bananarama-remasters.html)

Daytripper 05-08-07 03:58 PM

Bananarama remasters

Don't laugh, it's true. I was on Rhino's website to see what other new releases they have coming up. I was very impressed with what they did with Depeche Mode's back catalog and that Pretenders box set. And sure enough, Bananarama is the latest to get the remaster treatment from them. Now, their early stuff is a guilty pleasure of mine. When they were more "new wave". Really hated it when they became assembley line dance music. Anyway, for those who care (less than a handful I'm sure), their first six studio albums were reissued with bonus material, including alternative versions, remixes and B-sides. And Best Buy online has all of them for $11.99 each (Import!)

nothingfails 05-08-07 10:13 PM

Drama was actually a good comeback album, well, a comeback in England

gatoinfeliz 05-09-07 04:29 AM

They were always good until the Pop Life album with Siobhan's replacement but got back to the good stuff for their last London Records album Please Yourself, or is it Enjoy Yourself?

The less said about the two albums inbetweeen Drama the better.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but from what I heard the remasters are lackluster. Misplaced mixes and some of the bonuses are remastered from vinyl! It sucks really bad because I really wanted to buy.

I hate it when remasters seem to be made by 12 year olds. I'm still pissed by what RCA did to the remastered Peace album from the Eurythmics.

I think if it wasn't for them there wouldn't be Flans (mexican girl group from the 80's with 3 members as well). They were in the same vein but never drifted into hi-nrg dance music thank god.

gatoinfeliz 05-09-07 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by nothingfails
Drama was actually a good comeback album, well, a comeback in England

Great album but surely you jest? It barely made a dent in their album charts and was removed from circulation a mere 2 weeks after it came out. It didn't help matters at all coming out the same day as Madonna's album either.

Daytripper 05-09-07 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by gatoinfeliz
They were always good until the Pop Life album with Siobhan's replacement but got back to the good stuff for their last London Records album Please Yourself, or is it Enjoy Yourself?

Personally, I thought they derailed with "WOW!". And that's because the craptacular Stock Aitken Waterman (SAW) took over from Steve Jolley and Tony Swain on production. Jolley & Swain worked solely on Bananarama's first two albums and mostly on "True Confessions". Huge mistake IMO turning the production over to SAW. Hated all the songs and singles from "WOW!" save for "I Can't Help It". And even that sounded like pure SAW. I thought "Pop Life" was a much improved effort and semi return to their earlier sound. Even Steve Jolley returned to work on the album. And the first three songs on the album were just great, "Preacher Man", "Long Train Running" and "Only Your Love". "Pop Life" album earned some pretty high marks from critics. Got an A- from Entertainment Weekly. After this album, I never liked another single or album from the girls. I'm going to buy the second album remastered for "The Wild Life" alone. Their best song ever.

Pointyskull 05-09-07 07:10 AM

And I always thought I was the only living Bananarama fan....

nothingfails 05-09-07 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by gatoinfeliz
Great album but surely you jest? It barely made a dent in their album charts and was removed from circulation a mere 2 weeks after it came out. It didn't help matters at all coming out the same day as Madonna's album either.

Move In My Direction and Look On The Floor were their biggest UK hits since the early 90's, and both songs did well on the US dance charts. Granted, it wasn't a comeback like Kylie had, but it did quite well considering it had two UK top 30 singles when most people had given up thinking of Bananarama in the present tense in 2005, and Look On The Floor was massive in the clubs in America, giving them a #2 on that chart.

big whoppa 05-09-07 06:14 PM

Look on the Floor is a great dance song. I admit to liking "Wow" back then. Wore out the cassette.