Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Poison "Poison'd" & Tesla "Real To Real" cover CDs 06/05/07

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: I plan to buy:
Poison "Poison'd"
12.82%
Tesla "Real To Real"
25.64%
Both (I'm a 80's hair band fan)
23.08%
Neither (These groups should've stayed in the 80's)
38.46%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Poison "Poison'd" & Tesla "Real To Real" cover CDs 06/05/07

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-07, 02:36 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Even as a Poison fan, Poison'd is a bit of a letdown. A few tracks, like "Little Willy" and "Can't You See", are decent because they are already close in spirit to some of Poison's past work. But in general I think they try to stretch a bit too much at times. "What I Like About You" and "Just What I Needed" in particular do not work, as neither song fits their style.
Old 06-06-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by too much
Tesla "Real To Real" FYE Exclusive Bonus CD featuring "All the Young Dudes" and an exclusive acoustic version of "Heaven's Trail (No Way Out)."

So far, it looks like you need to buy about 12 bonus editions to get the full second disc from "Real To Real"

Also, the acoustic bonus tracks (at least at Walmart) are from the upcoming box set.

It was pretty much the same with Def Leppard's Yeah last year, too. Best Buy, Target and Wal-mart all had exclusive versions of the CD with different bonus tracks - plus, I believe the import versions, depending on which country, also all had different bonus tracks.

Don't so much care for the Poison disc, but still debating on the Tesla. What I sampled was surprisingly great. Might even have to try and make it to a show to get that second disc, as it does look better than disc one for some of the song choices I'd really like to hear.
Old 06-06-07, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
can any wal-mart buyers review 'sexyback'?
Old 06-07-07, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I Like About You video up on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HhALWkJlhY

not too bad...

And their webcast for the album launch is now on their site here

Last edited by stinkeye; 06-07-07 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-08-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
So far I'm enjoying the Best Buy bonus disc more than the album.

Tesla : Acoustic :: Peanut Butter : Jelly

With all these studio acoustic versions on the various bonus discs, I wonder if this box set is going to have a "Times Makin' Changes" GH type disc of ALL acoustic versions of the tracks. Maybe two discs. That would be awesome.

On the actual album I'm loving Ball of Confusion and Thank You. It is finally good to hear Thank You which was recorded for Encomium but rejected. And in true fashion it is 10x better than anything that ended up on that album.
Old 06-11-07, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Picked up both on release day (actually had wife pick them up)

Tesla at Best Buy for the bonus disc and Poison at Circuit City for the T-Shirt.

Don't care for the packaging of the Tesla discs... hate that floating rubber type holder... and I looked at the CD and there was crap all over it.... which I don't get at all since the CD wasn't touching anything. But it appears to play fine without any skips.

Circuit City said they didn't get the T-Shirts in yet and they would call us when they did. Still waiting... actually had the wife call them to see what was up and they are telling her to call customer service so she can talk to the person who rang her up and took the info to call her.... wtf is with that POS store? BAH!
Old 06-11-07, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sexyback sample
Old 06-12-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Wow... that certainly doesn't sound anything like what Poison has done before...
Old 06-12-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

this news story has a link to the full-length MP3 version

http://www.stereogum.com/archives/mp...fail.html#more
Old 06-16-07, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Real to Real is definately worth a listen if you like Tesla.
Old 06-17-07, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First of all to the person who said it's a copy of Def Leppards Yeah CD... Warrant and LA Guns did covers albums too before... doing mostly 70's glam stuff... so Def Leppard is coping Warrant! (didn't Great White do one too?)

Warrant "Under The Influence" (2001)
1. Toys In The Attic
2. Hollywood
3. Dead, Jail Or Rock N Roll
4. Hair Of The Dog
5. Tie Your Mother Down
6. Suffragette City
7. Surrender
8. Down Payment Blues
9. Come And Get It

L.A. Guns "Rips the Covers Off" (2004)
1. Rock and Roll Outlaw
2. I Just Want To Make Love To You
3. Tie Your Mother Down
4. Until I Get You
5. Wheels Of Steel
6. Nobody’s Fault
7. Custard Pie
8. Moonage Daydream
9. Marseilles
10. Hurdy Gurdy Man
11. Search and Destroy

by the way, Posion'd debuted at Billboard #32!! Go Hair Metal! I love how radio keeps shoving Nickleback and the like down our ears and keeps telling us nobody wants to hear hair metal anymore, but it still sells well with no radio play and those bands still sell out concerts.

Originally Posted by DRG
Even as a Poison fan, Poison'd is a bit of a letdown. A few tracks, like "Little Willy" and "Can't You See", are decent because they are already close in spirit to some of Poison's past work. But in general I think they try to stretch a bit too much at times. "What I Like About You" and "Just What I Needed" in particular do not work, as neither song fits their style.
wow, As a huge Poison / Hair Metal fan, I totally disagree. I usually can't get into covers albums that much but I loved Poison'd. "What I Like About You" and "Just What I Needed" are my two favorite songs on the CD because it's different for them. They made those songs thier own. Anyone getting this CD must pick up the Wal Mart version, "Sexy Back" is a trip! Loved it.
Old 06-27-07, 10:53 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by turborobb
First of all to the person who said it's a copy of Def Leppards Yeah CD... Warrant and LA Guns did covers albums too before... doing mostly 70's glam stuff... so Def Leppard is coping Warrant! (didn't Great White do one too?)

Warrant "Under The Influence" (2001)
1. Toys In The Attic
2. Hollywood
3. Dead, Jail Or Rock N Roll
4. Hair Of The Dog
5. Tie Your Mother Down
6. Suffragette City
7. Surrender
8. Down Payment Blues
9. Come And Get It

L.A. Guns "Rips the Covers Off" (2004)
1. Rock and Roll Outlaw
2. I Just Want To Make Love To You
3. Tie Your Mother Down
4. Until I Get You
5. Wheels Of Steel
6. Nobody’s Fault
7. Custard Pie
8. Moonage Daydream
9. Marseilles
10. Hurdy Gurdy Man
11. Search and Destroy

by the way, Posion'd debuted at Billboard #32!! Go Hair Metal! I love how radio keeps shoving Nickleback and the like down our ears and keeps telling us nobody wants to hear hair metal anymore, but it still sells well with no radio play and those bands still sell out concerts.

wow, As a huge Poison / Hair Metal fan, I totally disagree. I usually can't get into covers albums that much but I loved Poison'd. "What I Like About You" and "Just What I Needed" are my two favorite songs on the CD because it's different for them. They made those songs thier own. Anyone getting this CD must pick up the Wal Mart version, "Sexy Back" is a trip! Loved it.
Yeah, I bought the Wal Mart version just for SEXY BACK too just because it is such a odd choice for a cover. It suprised me but I really like that track a lot while I really hate the original. POISON turned SEXY BACK into a blistering funky rock track. The rest of the covers are pretty cool too imo. I don't like it as much as DEF LEPPARD'S YEAH! but it's worth owning. So, how is that L.A. GUNS cover album? I used to really like them but lost track of them in the mid 90's.
Old 06-27-07, 10:56 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I pretty sure that Great White did at least one covers cd that I think was all Zep songs.
Old 06-27-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by turborobb
Dream Theater's newest debuted in the top 20 a few weeks back. They obviously get zero radio play either. Quite a feat. Billboard Article

Looks like Tesla's "Real to Reel" disc 2(only given away at concerts) is fetching a premium on ebay. I wouldn't have minded paying $20-$25 for it, but doesn't look like I will even get that chance.
Old 06-27-07, 01:08 PM

Tesla is really hurting their fans who want Reel 2 and can't see them in concert. Talk about limiting your audience....
Old 06-27-07, 03:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I would agree about hurting their fans, as they really are on a limited tour (so far, at least). I'm hoping that they release a 2 cd set after the tour. Has anybody heard the 2nd cd? How is it?
Old 06-30-07, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I have both Real to Reel Cd's and I have to say I prefer the 1st one. The standouts to me on the 2nd disc are Is it My Body, Shooting Star and Seasons of Wither with honorable mention going to Do You Feel Like I Do. Actually the only song I dont like on Reel 2 is I Wanna Take You Higher.
Old 06-30-07, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just read that the August or September issue of Classic Rock magazine is supposed to feature disc 2 of Tesla's Real to Reel as the monthly "free CD" that comes with the mag. You'll still have to pay about $10 for a copy, as it's an import zine, but at least you should be able to obtain a copy without necessarily going to see a show.
Old 07-01-07, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well I drove around the city looking for the various bonus discs last night. The only one I found was FYE(already have the one from BB).

Was there actually a bonus disc offered at Target and Wal-Mart for Tesla's album?
Old 07-01-07, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There was a bonus disc for Best Buy and Fye. The BB one contained War Pigs(Reel2) and
Shine Away, Modern Day Cowboy and Paradise(all acoustic and supposedly to be included in upcoming box set). The FYE bonus had All The Young Dudes(Reel 2) and Heavens Trail(acoustic box set preview). The Classic Rock Magazine Reel 2 deal was supposed to be this months issue but was pushed back a month.

No bonus discs for Target or Wal-Mart.
Old 07-01-07, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

What's this Magazine deal you are talking about? Just another single track bonus disc?
Old 07-01-07, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No. The magazine is Classic Rock Magazine a UK publication that is usually available in Barnes and Noble and Borders here in the U.S. a couple of weeks after it comes out in England. It is supposed to include the entire R2R disc 2.
Old 07-02-07, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Cool. Keep us posted.
Old 07-02-07, 12:54 PM

FYI the second disc will probably be released in their upcoming box set
Old 07-02-07, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The second R2R disc should also be available on the website in a couple of months. The boxset is supposed to be out this Christmas, but I heard an interview with Frank Hannon where he said it might not be until 2008. Im hoping the boxset includes remastered versions of their earlier stuff. So far all I have heard is it will include a ton of video dating back 25 + years

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.