DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Paul Simon - what songs are the best? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/498354-paul-simon-what-songs-best.html)

Ronnie Dobbs 04-18-07 06:36 PM

Paul Simon - what songs are the best?

I'm getting into Paul Simon. I got "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard", 'Graceland", "Ceclia", 'Bright Eyes" and some others. Whats are some of his best works?

Brain Stew 04-18-07 06:40 PM

"50 Ways To Leave Your Lover", "Kodachrome", "Still Crazy After All These Years"; just about every track on the great hits collections.

fiver 04-18-07 08:41 PM

If you're just in the mood to sample, you really can't go wrong with the "Negotiations and Love Songs" greatest hits...strictly from his solo years and somewhat dated now but all the material on this cd is strong. Simon & Garfunkel is pretty awesome too...I'm not sure what compilation is best but I find that the Concert in central park cd gets a lot of play from me also. I used to watch this on PBS all the time as a kid...it was always one of their staples during pledge drives. There's a scene where someone in the audience attempts to rush on stage directly at Paul Simon while he's playing "The Late Great Johnny Ace " (terrific song not on the above compilation). Paul looks pretty startled afterwards. I myself have been trying to familiarize myself with his individual solo albums as of late.

Recommended Paul Simon solo songs:

Mother and Child Reunion
Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard
St Judy's Comet (wonderful lullabye I think)
Loves Me Like a Rock
Kodachrome
Still Crazy After All These Years
You Can Call Me All
The Late Great Johnny Ace

Recommended S & G
Bridge over troubled waters
The Boxer
Homeward Bound
I Am A Rock
The Sounds of Silence
America
Mrs Robinson
A Hazy Shade of Winter
El Condor Pasa

Some of the S&G songs can be a bit pretentious but they're still pleasing. My favorite S&G song is probably The Boxer

By the way, the song "Bright Eyes" (if it's the one from Watership Down) is actually performed exclusively by Art Garfunkel, not Paul Simon.

Hope this help,
Michael

yojimbo44 04-18-07 09:48 PM

if you're looking for something new, the first track from his latest album Surprise is called "How Can You Live in the Northeast" and it's pure ear candy

Big Dave 04-18-07 10:22 PM

I think the whole Graceland CD is excellent, my favorite of his works.

Jackson_Browne 04-18-07 11:00 PM

American Tune.

DrRingDing 04-19-07 12:31 AM

Definitely get the entire Graceland cd. It works as a whole and to cherry pick "the best" songs from it would miss a lot of really good music. One of my favorites ever.
-ringding-

thismeansyou 04-19-07 01:36 AM

"Can't Run But," "Homeless," "The Boy in the Bubble," "The Obvious Child"

And of the stuff already posted I would definitely cosign "Kodachrome," "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" (Steve Gadd's percussion on that is just genius), "You Can Call Me Al" (which you must have heard already), and "The Boxer."

thismeansyou 04-19-07 01:37 AM

DrRingDing's right, as with a lot of unique artists, many peoples' favourite Paul Simon songs aren't necessarily the hit singles or even fan favourites. His style speaks to different people in different ways so It'd be best to get an album or two and just go through it like that.

Decker 04-19-07 09:05 AM

Oh, I love The Obvious Child. Very cool song. Still Crazy is an all-timer. Besides the one mentioned here (including the entire Graceland album -- my first CD purchase), I also like Late In The Evening, Hearts & Bones, She Moves On, Something So Right, Born At The Right Time and his latest Oscar-nominated track Father And Daughter -- that one came out right after my daughter was born and almost made me tear up as it's a really beautiful song.

Props to Zach Braff for including The Only Living Boy in New York in Garden State. I had never heard that S & G song before and it's very good.

Duh Vuh Duh 04-19-07 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jackson_Browne
American Tune.

Yep. and "Hearts and Bones"

and the entire Graceland album.

paulringodaman 04-19-07 09:26 AM

All you need to survive is You Can Call Me Al and 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover

and ok, Mother and Child Reunion

vegasbaby 04-19-07 02:38 PM

Late in the Evening is my favorite Solo Simon.

America, The Only Living Boy in New York & Bridge Over Troubled Water are my favorite S&G

Fielding Mellish 04-19-07 03:30 PM

One Man’s Ceiling Is Another Man’s Floor

DrRingDing 04-20-07 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
Props to Zach Braff for including The Only Living Boy in New York in Garden State. I had never heard that S & G song before and it's very good.

Could be because it was really more of a Paul Simon tune and not so much of a S&G tune - it's rumored that it's actually a dig at Garfunkel. The opening line "Tom, get your plane right on time" is a reference to Garfunkel, as their original group name was Tom & Jerry, with G being "Tom". You'll notice a distinct lack of Garfunkel for most of the song.

I learned this from the <i>Catch-22</i> commentary where Mike Nichols was saying that filming ran long and Garfunkel missed his plane back to New York to record with Simon. Apparently, Nichols had wanted to cast Simon in the film as well, but it didn't work out for some reason. So one has to wonder if there wasn't a bit of jealousy about that as well.

-ringding-

Decker 04-20-07 04:08 PM

Wow, that's very interesting. I'd read that Catch 22 had an awesome commentary track. Thanks for the cool bit of trivia. :)

Jocko6577 04-21-07 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by vegasbaby
Late in the Evening is my favorite Solo Simon.

America, The Only Living Boy in New York & Bridge Over Troubled Water are my favorite S&G

Agreed!! Late in the Evening has got to be one of his greatest although you can't go wrong with much of his work.

CharlieK 04-22-07 12:07 AM

'The Rhythm of the Saints' also has some great songs inclulding 'She Moves On' and 'The Cool, Cool River'.

nazz 04-22-07 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by fiver
There's a scene where someone in the audience attempts to rush on stage directly at Paul Simon while he's playing "The Late Great Johnny Ace " (terrific song not on the above compilation). Paul looks pretty startled afterwards.

It was made even more eerie by the fact that Simon had just mentioned John Lennon in the lyrics right before the crazed fan rushed him. I was pretty startled the first time I saw it. I can't imagine how he felt with that happening with thoughts of Lennon in his head.

nothingfails 04-22-07 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by nazz
It was made even more eerie by the fact that Simon had just mentioned John Lennon in the lyrics right before the crazed fan rushed him. I was pretty startled the first time I saw it. I can't imagine how he felt with that happening with thoughts of Lennon in his head.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fr7y4_usH3A

shows what a professional Simon was by the way he kept on singing instead of stopping the song or making a comment right afterwards

Supermallet 04-24-07 02:37 AM

Basically, you should get his first three solo albums, Hearts & Bones, Graceland, Rhythm of the Saints, and Surprise. :)