DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   VELVET REVOLVER: Libertad -7/3/07 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/498257-velvet-revolver-libertad-7-3-07-a.html)

Matt 04-16-07 11:35 PM

Is Velvet Revolver gonna release another album?
Yes!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Vrlibertad.jpg

Libertad, due May 29

These tracks were recorded for the album:

* American Man
* For Brother
* Gas And A Dollar Laugh
* Get Out the Door
* Grave Dancers
* Just 16
* Let It Roll
* Queen For A Day
* She Builds Quick Machines (first single)
* She Mine
* Spay
* This Fight (Could Be The Last Fight)
* Wasted Heart

(This is probably not the actual track listing, however.)

gerrythedon 04-17-07 07:24 PM

VELVET REVOLVER: Libertad -7/3/07

Velvet Revolver Sets July Date For 'Libertad'

After scrapping the original May 29 release date, Velvet Revolver has settled on July 3 to unveil its second RCA album, "Libertad." Impacting in mid-May, the first single from the set will be "She Builds Quick Machines," one of the four new tracks the group has been playing of late during shows in South America.

"RCA did a bunch of research on what the first single should be," bassist Duff McKagan told Billboard.com last night (April 16) before a gig in Buenos Aires. "I'm pretty anti that stuff. The band had something they wanted to go with, but RCA just kept coming with it. So we decided, it's fine. It's a great f*ckin' rock song. It has a kick-ass guitar riff, a great chorus, a really big bridge and a great Slash solo."

McKagan is also high on "Last Fight," which he calls "a mid-tempo, really beautiful song; probably something you wouldn't expect from us," as well as "She Mine," described as "a fun pop ditty."

"I think 'Contraband' was a great record," he says of Velvet Revolver's 2004 debut. "It was the right one for us to make as our first record. But 'Libertad' really goes way beyond that musically. I don't think any of us could have made a better record at this point in our careers."

As previously reported, the group was planning to record "Libertad" with producer Rick Rubin but found itself at odds with his approach. Brendan O'Brien ultimately produced the album.

"We all went to dinner last August and shook on it," McKagan recalls of Rubin. "At that point, we had 30 songs. He came down the second week of September and said, 'Okay great guys, now write some more songs.' So we wrote more songs. Another month later, he was like, 'Okay great, write some more songs.' We got up to 50 songs! When somebody tells you to write more songs, you start thinking, 'Well, all of our sh*t sucks.' It's not a good place for a band like us to be at."

"Rick is a great guy," he continues. "We've all known him for a long time. But we just decided, maybe next record, or some other time." Once O'Brien took over, "he inspired all of us to dig in to the parts," McKagan says. "None of us were afraid to bring anything new to the table."

Velvet Revolver begins a short North American tour May 3 in Los Angeles, and European festival dates are on tap through early July. McKagan says fans can expect songs from its members' old bands (Guns N' Roses, Stone Temple Pilots) to crop up occasionally, but less frequently than in Velvet Revolver's early days, when it barely had enough originals to play a headlining set.

"I don't know whether we'll do it the whole tour or once in awhile," he says. "But I know people like to hear them and sometimes we really like to play them. It's songs we wrote, so why not?"

BILLBOARD.com

db27 04-18-07 10:05 PM

looking forward to this one!

gerrythedon 04-18-07 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by db27
looking forward to this one!

heh heh... thank U, [for the support] buddy :)

gerrythedon 05-04-07 09:03 PM

Velvet Revolver singer honors dead brother in L.A.

Velvet Revolver singer Scott Weiland paid tribute to his recently deceased brother on Thursday, during the first show of a brief North American tour to promote the band's upcoming second album.

Michael Weiland died of a drug overdose during the recording of "Libertad," and a brother of drummer Matt Sorum died about the same time in similar circumstances, the singer told the crowd at the Avalon Hollywood club.

"It literally crushed us," said Weiland, who has long struggled with drugs himself. "It made this record happen for both of us."

He then turned his back to the crowd to sing Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here," with Sorum singing harmony, as he looked up at a video screen playing home video footage of Michael, his wife and two young daughters. The concert was a benefit for Michael Weiland's family.

Velvet Revolver also unveiled a handful of tunes from "Libertad," which comes out July 3 via RCA Records. It marks the follow-up to 2004's "Contraband," which yielded the Grammy-winning hit single "Slither," the final tune of Thursday's 90-minute gig.

The band formed in 2003, Weiland previously having been in Stone Temple Pilots, while Sorum, guitarist Slash and bass player Duff McKagan were in Guns N' Roses. The lineup is rounded out by Dave Kushner.

New material previewed included the first single "She Builds Quick Machines," for which the band had shot a video the day before, "The Last Fight," "Get Out the Door" and "Just Sixteen," according to a set list.

The abundance of unfamiliar songs, combined with the show's late start -- 50 minutes behind schedule at 10:50 -- was a drain on the crowd. The floor emptied steadily throughout the performance.

The band also dusted off an extended version of the Stone Temple Pilots' "Vasoline" and Guns N' Roses' "Used To Love Her." The penultimate song was another cover, Talking Heads' "Psycho Killer."

The audience included former Guns N' Roses guitarist Izzy Stradlin, and Alice in Chains guitarist Jerry Cantrell.

The band has 11 more club shows scheduled through May 22 in New York, and will then spend June playing throughout Europe. A big American tour is scheduled for the end of summer.

BILLBOARD.com

DarthMarino 05-15-07 01:27 PM

http://music.aol.com/franchise/first...lver-new-songs

Theres 4 snippets there.

FM 05-18-07 01:22 PM

I heard the first single yesterday. The music itself kicks ass, but I didn't like what Scott did with his voice - it seemed like someone else's voice, at least to me. Of course, the lyrics were nearly impossible to hear, at least for me, because of the mixing.

Fred

PopcornTreeCt 05-18-07 02:35 PM

Good news.

Damed 05-18-07 03:39 PM

Not impressed with the first single. At least not yet. I've only heard it once.

FM 05-20-07 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by FM
I heard the first single yesterday. The music itself kicks ass, but I didn't like what Scott did with his voice - it seemed like someone else's voice, at least to me. Of course, the lyrics were nearly impossible to hear, at least for me, because of the mixing.

Fred

I'm listening to the song from a different source, and the lyrics are much easier to hear. I like the song, and can't wait to hear the rest of the album.

Fred

auto 06-02-07 12:06 PM

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...4L._SS500_.jpg
I wonder which will be the actual cover? I'm leaning toward this one...

Matt 06-02-07 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by auto
I wonder which will be the actual cover? I'm leaning toward this one...

Yeah, that's what I'd say, too. The image in the original post is on a t-shirt, and has t-shirt proportions. The newer image is more proportionate with an album cover. And it's got a similar look to the cover of the "Melody and the Tyranny" EP, which comes out on Tuesday (and leaked yesterday). . .

gerrythedon 06-17-07 11:29 PM

BEST BUY exclusive

limited edition version includes 30-minute bonus DVD

Save and get free shipping on both the standard and limited edition versions of this new CD.

If you order the limited edition version, you'll also get a free, Best Buy exclusive DVD, featuring 30 minutes of behind-the-scenes footage of the band's South American tour, along with other priceless content.

Available while supplies last. Bonus DVD will arrive with the new CD.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....at123700050004

Music 06-19-07 04:05 PM

Best Buy's listings suck.

It doesn't even say it is the limited edition and it doesn't come with free shipping even though it says it does.

C_Fletch 06-23-07 06:14 AM

The guitar solo is back. It's been a long ten years. I really dig the She Builds Quick Machines song and video. It's far better then Bon Jovi, what happened to that guy??? He sounds like Rob Thomas now.......uggg!!

Matt 06-23-07 06:37 PM

Leaked!

Josh H 06-23-07 06:54 PM

Indeed, downloading it now.

thecrackedjack2 06-23-07 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Josh H
Indeed, downloading it now.

Same here. Listened the whole way through and I love it! Best rock and roll album I've heard in a while. Stands up well to a lot STP songs (although not the best of them).

Rypro 525 06-24-07 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by C_Fletch
The guitar solo is back. It's been a long ten years.

u must be listening to the wrong kind of music, most of the stuff i listen to have at least one or two per song.

DVD Josh 06-24-07 08:14 AM

While you guys are "acquiring" the VR album, look for the MSN webcast of the band's 930 club show. They did a good job with the production of this one for a webcast. Great show, lots of energy from Scott.

BTW, when did Slash get so jacked? His biceps are enormous.

mdc3000 06-24-07 09:42 AM

This is much better than I was expecting...I wasn't too excited about it coming out, but it seems like a very solid record. VR put on a hell of a live show, so I"ll have to check out that webcast. When I saw them (before their first record came out) it was probably the loudest show I've ever been to (been to a lot)...my ears rang for two weeks - no joke. (I've worn earplugs to most shows since because it got so bad). I'll be picking this up on release date for sure.

nodeerforamonth 06-24-07 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by C_Fletch
The guitar solo is back. It's been a long ten years.

LOL! Dude, you got to get out more! Check out the Supersuckers (two great guitarists in the same band) and Hellacopters for starters!

gerrythedon 07-05-07 07:58 PM

I almost thought we had an Avril fiasco. Also got this album at Target [as the Avril album] and noticed no PA label compared to Contraband. Asked my brother to check Best Buy on both versions and he said no label to be found. I wanted to make sure this time before opening it. Heard album once so far...

slacker6 07-06-07 12:19 PM

Album is OK to me but that's about it. It just lacks attitude and swagger for lack of a better word. I think part of the dilemma is that SW's vocals seem flat for me although there are tons of people that love them.

It just seems to lack some "oomph" to really get me going. Kind of steady but not a world-beater.

LOL! Dude, you got to get out more! Check out the Supersuckers (two great guitarists in the same band) and Hellacopters for starters!
I'd also add Backyard Babies to the above list, particularly their "Diesel and Power" album.

cdollaz 07-06-07 12:29 PM

I think the album is OK, but I do not like it nearly as much as the first one. As the poster above said, it doesn't seem to have the sleazy swagger the first one did. There is nothing on here that has the balls of Sucker Train Blues or Do It For The Kids. While I think the first one had a lot of Gn'R-ish attitude, this one is more STP-ish. Not bad, but definitely a step down.