Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

VELVET REVOLVER: Libertad -7/3/07

Old 07-11-07, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Velvet Revolver's sophomore RCA album, "Libertad," debuts at No. 5 with 92,000. The supergroup's first album, 2004's "Contraband," climbed onto the chart at No. 1 with 256,000.
Old 07-11-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OUCH! Thought this would chart higher.
Old 07-11-07, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by auto
OUCH! Thought this would chart higher.
Unfortunately, emo rulez, and rock droolz.
Old 07-11-07, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I haven't heard this getting any airplay and if I hadn't told some people, I have friends who didn't even know this was coming out... poor marketing IMO. It'll probably sell OK in the long run...especially since people like me weren't hyped for it but have been singing it's praises since it came out.
Old 07-11-07, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Unfortunately, emo rulez, and rock droolz.
Not really. White Stripes had a solid first week, as did Arcade Fire, Modest Mouse, Nine Inch Nails, etc...

Rock is making a comeback. We'll see where the new Pumpkins lands next week.
Old 07-11-07, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Velvet Revolver's sophomore RCA album, "Libertad," debuts at No. 5 with 92,000. The supergroup's first album, 2004's "Contraband," climbed onto the chart at No. 1 with 256,000.
Too bad. I recieved my 2-disc set from BB this week and think it's a very solid album. I haven't spent time delving into the lyrical content yet, but I enjoy the various guitar tones they managed to create. Not as sleazy sounding as the first one, but they have shown some musical growth.
Old 07-12-07, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by auto
Not really. White Stripes had a solid first week, as did Arcade Fire, Modest Mouse, Nine Inch Nails, etc...

Rock is making a comeback. We'll see where the new Pumpkins lands next week.
I hope so man. I'm tired of AFI and Blue October. (BTW, you could probably argue that AF and MM are Emo).
Old 10-28-07, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finally picked this one up. A solid effort. Do I like every song? No (but then again, I haven't liked an album in full in I don't know how long). They have definitely improved on their sound and the songs change pace quite often which I like a lot - never gets dull.

Love "The Last Fight".

Call me crazy but Velvet Revolver reminds me A LOT of Alice in Chains....which is also a damn good thing because I just ordered "The Essential Alice in Chains" from Amazon as well.
Old 01-22-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Slash Itching To Start New Velvet Revolver Disc

Velvet Revolver guitarist Slash says the group is planning a significantly shorter turnaround for its third album.

Slash tells Billboard.com that the group plans to start working in earnest on the follow-up to last year's "Libertad" in April, almost immediately after the quintet finishes a tour that starts Jan. 24 in Chicago and includes dates in North America, Australia and Europe.

"That's the big thing right now," Slash says. "I'm really jazzed about doing it. I've been working on new ideas, and we've had a couple times where the guys all got together and worked on some stuff. I'm itching to see what this third record's gonna be, 'cause I think it's gonna be fuckin' awesome, and I think we don't necessarily need to spend two years on the road like we did last time (for 2004's 'Contraband')."

Slash adds that he's "not gonna go so far as to say, 'Yeah, we've got a couple of new songs done,'" but he says there are arrangements and ideas in place that he thinks will come together in short order. "As you go along you've got more and more freedom and are less inhibited to do whatever you want, just for the simple fact you've been working together for as long as you have, and you've established a certain creative relationship," he explains. "Wherever we're at (now) is definitely far and away beyond where we were a year ago, and we're gonna go explore that."

No producer has been chosen for the project, but Slash says he favors "Libertad" collaborator Brendan O'Brien. And while the Velvet Revolver album is on the front-burner, Slash still wants to move forward on a solo album, which he says will feature a roster of guest vocalist.

"The only progress is I'm starting to put it together as to how I'm gonna do it and who I'm gonna do it with," he says. "It's actually really in the back of my mind, but I haven't gotten the wheels in motion to get it produced. It'll be coming -- probably the next thing I do after the next Velvet Revolver record. But if anything delays the Velvet record, I would turn around and do that (solo album) then."

BILLBOARD.com
Old 01-22-08, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, and Scott Weiland said this past weekend that a STP reunion is "imminent".
Old 01-23-08, 07:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Yeah, and Scott Weiland said this past weekend that a STP reunion is "imminent".
Yeah, right after G-n-R reunites with the original members to tour for "Chinese Democracy".

STP reuniting is actually more likely than what I said above (obviously), but I really hope they don't; I'm enjoying VR as they are, rolling along doing what they do. But money talks.
Old 01-23-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

good to see this - i almost thought VR were gonna break up.
Old 01-25-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Slash: Weiland Playing With STP This Summer

Velvet Revolver wraps a spring tour in support of its second album, "Libertad," frontman Scott Weiland will rejoin his former bandmates in Stone Temple Pilots for a handful of summer reunion shows, guitarist Slash tells Billboard.com.

STP broke up in late 2002; the band's last album was the previous year's "Shangri-La Dee Da." No other details have yet been revealed about STP's plans.

In the meantime, Weiland and his Velvet Revolver bandmates are still plugging away in support of "Libertad" with dates that run through early April. There's also the hope that recording for album number three could begin in the spring.

"I don't think anybody knew the second one came out," Slash admits. "We didn't promote it, for one. The first record I remember going out for three weeks on the road and just promoting, with (bassist) Duff (McKagan) and myself going to Europe, Japan and the States.

"This time around we actually went on the road way before the album came out. It's just a different kind of promotion," he continues. "People are just going to a concert, and you're not necessarily drilling into their head about the new album. So I think that had a lot to do with it. All things considered, it doesn't matter to me. It's still just a really good record."

On the current tour, which plays Milwaukee tonight (Jan. 25), Velvet Revolver has added additional Guns N' Roses and Stone Temple Pilots covers it hadn't performed previously.

"There was a point there where I thought that we felt like we were sort of obligated to do them, like people really, really were expecting that," Slash says. "And once we got a bigger catalog by putting out another record, there was a feeling like we don't necessarily have to do any Guns N' Roses and Stone Temple Pilots songs."

"It was more like Pete Townshend feeling like he didn't have to smash his amps every night," he continues. "So for a second there, that was the plan, but then we personally started missing it. They were like the easiest cover songs for us to cover because we wrote them, so we just sort of got over that.

"Speaking of Guns N' Roses, Slash admits he has no contact with Axl Rose, nor has he heard material from the long-awaited "Chinese Democracy." But any silence between the camps is bound to end come 2012, when the influential hard rock act becomes eligible for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Slash, McKagan and drummer Matt Sorum experienced firsthand what could be in store based on the drama that ensued last year around Van Halen's induction into the Rock Hall. With Eddie Van Halen in rehab and David Lee Roth refusing to attend after a set list squabble, Velvet Revolver ended up jamming with Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar.

"I never even thought about it until we had to do that," Slash says. "Somebody asked me, 'Do you think you guys will be able to show up for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (induction ceremony) in five years?' I was like, 'Oh, I guess we're eligible.' It never dawned on me before then. If this comes up, I'd hope we'd be mature enough to get up and do that, but I have no idea.

"When asked what his gut feeling is about Rose and the other original members coming together, Slash says, "My gut doesn't count because it's not just about me. It's about everybody. And if it was easy to predict, we probably wouldn't have had so many hassles in the first place."

BILLBOARD.com
Old 01-27-08, 09:55 PM
Banned

Holy cow, Ghandi!
Old 01-28-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Duff McKagan on Weiland and STP re-formation rumours

Classic Rock just tracked down Duff McKagan, Velvet Revolver bassist, and quizzed him about VR singer Scott Weiland's recent 'antics'.

Here's what Duff had to say:

On the Sundance Festival:
“I sang It’s So Easy and I Wanna Be Your Dog and then we were panicking a bit over what to play so Matt [Sorum] got up and sang Patience, Matt’s a great singer, he really is. Why wasn’t Scott there? Scott missed his plane, yeah, let’s say that, Scott missed his plane…”

On Stone Temple Pilots re-forming:
“That’s the rumour that I’ve heard too, good for him. You can’t plan ahead in this thing and if you do you’re going to be disappointed. Don’t get me wrong, I love playing live and we love this band, but I don’t have expectations any more. This is a great band and I’m proud to be a part of it, but it doesn’t define me any more.”