DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Sly & The Family Stone - The Collection (7 disc set) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/497629-sly-family-stone-collection-7-disc-set.html)

Andalusia 04-11-07 01:03 AM

Sly & The Family Stone - The Collection (7 disc set)
 
After reading about this in Speedy's Best Buy thread in the Bargain forum, I knew I had to get this. I'm a big Sly fan, so it was a no-brainer at $50 (and I got it at Best Buy, so it came with a bonus DVD).

Okay, now the gripe. I take it home and open it up, and every thing's fine. Then I start to skim the bonus tracks on each CD and I notice something. This "Collection" is missing three tracks. Not just some minor obscure tracks, but the following...

1 - Hot Fun in the Summertime
2 - Everybody is a Star
3 - Thank You (Faletin Me Be Mice Elf Agin)

Okay, WTF? They're NOWHERE to be found! There was no tracklist on the box itself, but it didn't matter to me because I just assumed they'd have those songs on there somewhere. I know they're non-album singles, but stick 'em on the end of "Stand!" and call it a day.

This is something so obvious and yet, Epic manages to drop the ball. Bravo, I say. Anybody else considering picking this up, buyer beware!

Giantrobo 04-11-07 01:14 AM

Ok, missing those is just wrooooong. :down:

Gerry P. 04-11-07 04:44 AM

Yep. I guess we're all supposed to go out and pay $15 for a compilation.

This is why people steal music rather than pay for it.

Dalvin 04-11-07 12:24 PM

^ That is absolutely correct. If studios put out quality music and did it right I would glady hand over my money. Since they screw up, and don't respect me as a cosumer why should I respect them?

PerryD 04-11-07 03:31 PM

I picked it up at Best Buy also, had them price match their website to get it for $39.99. How are the other bonus tracks? I'm saving my copy for a Mother's day gift for my wife.

Hiro11 04-11-07 03:56 PM

Just buy "Stand!", "There's a Riot Goin' On" and the Greatest Hits and call it a day. Those three are essential, but no one needs 7 discs of Sly, IMO.

auto 04-11-07 04:08 PM


Originally Posted by Andalusia
There was no tracklist on the box itself, but it didn't matter to me because I just assumed they'd have those songs on there somewhere.

Looks like the only problem is that you assumed these tracks would be included. Why are you mad that they didn't give you something they never promised to give you in the first place. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this a collection of their albums? Those we're non-album singles.

Andalusia 04-11-07 10:22 PM


Originally Posted by auto
Looks like the only problem is that you assumed these tracks would be included. Why are you mad that they didn't give you something they never promised to give you in the first place. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this a collection of their albums? Those we're non-album singles.

You're right, the problem was my assuming the tracks would be on there. And I knew those were non-album singles, see my first post. But with all the bonus tracks being added to the albums, I took it for granted that those very important songs would be included.

Yeah, I messed up for not researching the set beforehand. But I still believe Epic dropped the ball and released a sub-par box set. :down:

Andalusia 04-11-07 10:27 PM


Originally Posted by PerryD
I picked it up at Best Buy also, had them price match their website to get it for $39.99. How are the other bonus tracks? I'm saving my copy for a Mother's day gift for my wife.

Damn, didn't know I could have gotten it for $39.99 :(

The bonus tracks are so-so, the standouts being on the first three albums (including a kick-ass "I Can't Turn You Loose").

auto 04-11-07 11:16 PM


Originally Posted by Andalusia
You're right, the problem was my assuming the tracks would be on there. And I knew those were non-album singles, see my first post. But with all the bonus tracks being added to the albums, I took it for granted that those very important songs would be included.

Yeah, I messed up for not researching the set beforehand. But I still believe Epic dropped the ball and released a sub-par box set. :down:

Yep, that goes without saying...

Gerry P. 04-12-07 02:03 AM


Originally Posted by Hiro11
Just buy "Stand!", "There's a Riot Goin' On" and the Greatest Hits and call it a day. Those three are essential, but no one needs 7 discs of Sly, IMO.

Well, Fresh is a minor classic and the pre-Stand albums are pretty good, too.

PerryD 04-12-07 09:17 AM


Originally Posted by Andalusia
Damn, didn't know I could have gotten it for $39.99 :(

Just go back to Best Buy and have them price match it. You should get an extra $1 for the trouble (they typically give you an extra 10% of the difference). Bring a print out of their web price to be safe.

Andalusia 04-13-07 09:26 PM


Originally Posted by PerryD
Just go back to Best Buy and have them price match it. You should get an extra $1 for the trouble (they typically give you an extra 10% of the difference). Bring a print out of their web price to be safe.

Thanks for the tip, PerryD. I just got $10.60 back (and now don't feel quite as ripped off).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.