Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

GNR: Chinese Democracy update

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

GNR: Chinese Democracy update

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I don't know if there's anyone left who cares anymore!
well, GNR's Greatest Hits album still sells tons of copies a week, it's one of the top Catalog albums, I think more people care than you'd think
Old 05-06-07, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe so, but this thread was started the beginning of April. A month later, there's only 26 replies to it.
Old 05-06-07, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the problem is that people are just tired of waiting so whenever a thread like this gets bumped they will just ignore it. If they knew that theres actual finalized music from the album out there to listen to they might suddenly care.
Old 05-06-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DarthMarino
I think the problem is that people are just tired of waiting so whenever a thread like this gets bumped they will just ignore it. If they knew that theres actual finalized music from the album out there to listen to they might suddenly care.
yea, it's a total "boy who cried wolf" scenario with GNR right now, people will care the day they see it on the shelf or on iTunes
Old 05-06-07, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, a 4th song leaked today apparently. It's the new version of "There Was A Time". While similar to the one that leaked last year it has more orchestration and the guitar is heavier so it's pretty cool. So to sum up the stats, 4 songs have leaked and zero people care.
Old 11-02-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Former SKID ROW frontman Sebastian Bach was recently interviewed by Matt Chord of Philadelphia's 93.3 WMMR. An excerpt from the chat follows:

Q: You have a new record coming out, "Angel Down", November 20. We've been waiting for songs from Axl Rose for about 15 years, and all of a sudden, you get him to sing on your record. How did that work, did you text him, did you call him?

Sebastian: "We've done about 80 shows with GUNS N' ROSES all over the world. At Christmas we did three nights at Universal Ampitheater in Hollywood... Axl had a Christmas party, we were playing pool. He played 'Chinese Democracy', a song called 'Sorry' came on and I started singing a harmony over top of the chorus. Axl loved that and booked studio time at Electric Lady in New York the next week, and I sang on 'Chinese Democracy'. So then, I was being silly and texted Axl, 'When are you going to sing on my record?' and he texted back, just one word, 'When' ... He sang three songs on my record."

Q: What do you think is the biggest misconception people have about Axl Rose?

Sebastian: "They think that 'Chinese Democracy' is never coming out... that is #1 misconception, 'cause I've heard it... like, it exists. To me I think it has a lot more to do with the business side of it. I've heard four albums' worth of material that's incredible. So when people go 'Is it ever coming out?', I go 'Yeah! And you're ever gonna feel stupid when it does.'"

Q: He's a very down-to-earth kinda person.

Sebastian: "I wouldn't call him down to earth. He's lived a life none of us could ever imagine, because of the level of success he has achieved. GUNS N' ROSES is bigger than rock. They're not a metal or rock band, they're like the STONES, or LED ZEPPELIN, or THE BEATLES, to a lot of people. He can't go out on the street and walk around. Like, when I was in London, England, I went to Hyde Park, played frisbee with the road crew — he can't do stuff like that. And that must really suck... Paparazzi's always there. It's just a different life... and I've watched millions of people that were in a room with the man, and they don't say what they think — they try to figure out what he wants them to say to make him like them and then they'll say that. I've seen people get so flipped out, but when he's in the room with them, he can't get a straight answer out of them. He's not like a human, he's like a demigod walking around."

Q: He does have a bad reputation in town — December 8th 2002, it was a no-show.

Sebastian: "Go do an interview with him there. I wasn't on that tour... I don't know what to say. I read all the time about Paul Stanley cancelling shows — nobody goes 'Paul Stanley, man, what's up?!'… I just did a whole GN'R tour, 80 shows... they cancelled one show, out of 80 shows. That's not unheard of..."

Q: I always stick up for the lineup when people go "It's not the true GN'R..."

Sebastian: "It's not... but then what's better... Slash and Duff doing STONE TEMPLE PILOTS songs? I'd rather hear Axl sing 'Welcome To The Jungle' with Tommy Stinson on bass... I love Duff McKagan, but he's busy." (Laughs)

NEWGNR.com
Old 11-11-07, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There's been a "leaked" Chinese Democracy floating around for a year or two now. It's a fan-made compilation of various demos and live tracks. Completely bogus.

These are the tracks included, though I've seen them ordered differently:

01 Better (4:58) - demo
02 Catcher In The Rye (5:40) - demo
03 Chinese Democracy (3:11) - live
04 I.R.S. (4:07) - demo
05 Madagascar (5:34) - live
06 Oh My God (3:40) - End of Days soundtrack
07 Rhiad And The Bedouins (3:36) - live
08 Silkworms (3:27) - live
09 The Blues (4:43) - live
10 There Was A Time (6:34) - demo

Last edited by Matt; 11-11-07 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-11-07, 09:39 PM

And...

that's not even close to how many tracks they've got in the can. According to the GNR bio I read recently, the writer tracked down a lot of the people playing on the sessions going back years, and there's about three or four times that many tracks that Rose is working on.
Old 11-11-07, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is never coming out. Close the thread. It's a waste of time.
Old 11-12-07, 04:49 AM

No 2007 release heh. When then?
Old 11-12-07, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
does anybody else ever have a sense of dread when they click on this thread? For years i've been cicking on ths damn thing and everytime its the same thing, its not out. Remember last year when he said that the album was gonna come out by the end of the year with no advanced notice? we were gonna walk into the record store, which don't even exist anymore, and pick up our copy of the new GNR album. I officially give up all hope of caring about this record.
Old 11-13-07, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I hope Axl has kids, if he hasn't already. That way, when he dies, his children can state they will release the album themselves. We can continue on with the yearly (non)updates.
Old 11-15-07, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When this comes out, it better be a 2 or 3-discer! haha

I mean, I'm really curious as to what kind of wealth of songs he's got stored up. And I'm afraid that after this realease, we might have to wait anotehr 50 years to hear all the "lost recordings". Let's just get it out all at once, so we don't have to worry about it anymore. And more importantly, not have to click open this thread again.
Old 11-15-07, 02:38 AM

i think the only saving grace if 'Chinese Democracy' does come out is that we wont be subjected to Axl Rose's figure hugging pink short leotards that he used to wear on concert. Now that really was going over the top.

Besides, my interest in this project peaked in around 2002, and I just cant get excited about it anymore. Perhaps they should change the name of the CD. How about 'Pakistani Emergency'?
Old 11-15-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Swedish Dictatorship
Old 11-15-07, 06:57 PM

I think the next wave of rumors will center around Slash and co and the inevitable reunion of the AFD lineup:

-Libertad tanked
-Weiland doesn't like the current "bookend" to STP's story, wants to possibly reunite
-Izzy showed up on a few stops of GNR's last tour
-Steven, Duff, and Izzy jammed at the AFD 20 party, which Slash was photographed at
-Steven keeps pushing the idea
-Slash is playing Welcome to the Jungle on GHIII
-Oh yea, all the money that looks to be made

I really would be shocked if Velvet Revolver makes another album. Contraband going double platinum I think helped them see past tensions in the band. Libertad didn't even go gold, I don't see them going through the writing/recording process again. They're just touring to make Libertad a worthwhile investment. I think it's hard for Scott to turn down an STP reunion, a band like them can only disappear so many years and still be a hot ticket.
Old 11-16-07, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
Swedish Dictatorship
I don't know why but .......

This album will never be released.Asshole Rose will find some reason to hold off and pretty much only perform some of the songs at live shows.
I had tickets for the show here and when they canceled I knew then I would never see them nor would I hear the album.At this point I could give two shits.I waited long enough in 2000 when it should have been out.......
Old 11-16-07, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm still surprised by how many people who "don't care" continue to post in these threads. Seems like they should just get over it and move on with their lives.
Old 11-16-07, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Buckleyesque
Besides, my interest in this project peaked in around 2002, and I just cant get excited about it anymore. Perhaps they should change the name of the CD. How about 'Pakistani Emergency'?
American Theocracy!
Old 11-16-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by MetalGator311
I think the next wave of rumors will center around Slash and co and the inevitable reunion of the AFD lineup:

-Libertad tanked
-Weiland doesn't like the current "bookend" to STP's story, wants to possibly reunite
-Izzy showed up on a few stops of GNR's last tour
-Steven, Duff, and Izzy jammed at the AFD 20 party, which Slash was photographed at
-Steven keeps pushing the idea
-Slash is playing Welcome to the Jungle on GHIII
-Oh yea, all the money that looks to be made

I really would be shocked if Velvet Revolver makes another album. Contraband going double platinum I think helped them see past tensions in the band. Libertad didn't even go gold, I don't see them going through the writing/recording process again. They're just touring to make Libertad a worthwhile investment. I think it's hard for Scott to turn down an STP reunion, a band like them can only disappear so many years and still be a hot ticket.
I had no idea Libertad was doing so poorly. It's only sold 250k. Yikes that's bad.
Old 11-16-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by kilcher
I'm still surprised by how many people who "don't care" continue to post in these threads. Seems like they should just get over it and move on with their lives.
Thank you Dr. Kilcher
Old 11-16-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kilcher
My beef with it, is that this thread shouldn't exist! Not until there's a (real) release date.
Old 11-18-07, 06:29 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
My beef with it, is that this thread shouldn't exist! Not until there's a (real) release date.
Some people here want to talk about the prospect.

I suggest that they are allowed to do so (in peace).

Old 01-10-08, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
cd is finished....but

RollingStone's rock daily section is reporting a story from antimusic.com about Geffen having CD. We may have started this rumor.

(antiMusic) The latest rumor swirling around Guns N' Roses is that the long over-due "Chinese Democracy" is complete and with the label but a new battle has emerged that is causing further delay.
We don't know how much stock to put into third or fourth generation rumors, but the word on the street is that Axl has turned in the CD to Geffen at long last but no release date is in sight because Axl and the label can not agree on the marketing of the album.

Are we closer to Chinese Democracy? We have no idea but we are hopeful. We have yet to hear back with the official denials or "no comment" from the GNR or Geffen camp but we'll keep you posted on what we hear officially or hearsay. Again this is all but rumor at this point , besides rumors are more fun than official news anyway.

Original Source
http://www.antimusic.com/news/08/jan...inish_CD.shtml

Same Story
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily

taken from the NEWGNR.com forum
Old 01-10-08, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe Chinese Democracy will come out.... sometime before Axl is 90.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.