DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   New "Maroon 5" (video link) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/496750-new-maroon-5-video-link.html)

Daytripper 03-30-07 11:12 PM

New "Maroon 5" (video link)

Never liked these guys much. But I don't actually hate this new song. Yet anyway ;) Video is o.k. too.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GVIgOBVO5gA

Thoughts?

DaveWadding 03-30-07 11:49 PM

I dig it. Great funky feel and a nice bass line. Might take a pounding from some people for a little much on the quasi-Justin Timberlake/Rob Thomas thing going on, but it's good with me.

DVD Josh 03-31-07 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by DaveWadding
I dig it. Great funky feel and a nice bass line. Might take a pounding from some people for a little much on the quasi-Justin Timberlake/Rob Thomas thing going on, but it's good with me.

I was not a Maroon 5 fan until I saw them live opening for Johnny Mayer. AWESOME live band, lots of energy and they really jived up the songs. Shiver from SFJ is a great song, especially live.

whaaat 03-31-07 02:32 PM

I just discovered this band about a week ago... caught this new vid and really enjoyed it. I like how they mix up pop, R&B and rock, and somehow have it not suck.

In the same vein, I caught a local artist last night named Roz Bell who had a tight, tight backing band. He mentioned they're releasing an EP in a couple of months with a full album to follow this summer: http://www.myspace.com/rozbell

nothingfails 03-31-07 06:50 PM

I've been a fan since This Love came out, I like how they definately are coming back from left field and doing something different. I think some music snobs are too harsh on them, they're not trying to revolutionize things, they're just making catchy songs that stick in your head. Same goes with Mika.

Tarantino 05-17-07 01:37 PM

Not bad. Listening to the CD now. Wasn't a fan of the last CD, but this one is alright after a listen.

= J

Rypro 525 05-17-07 01:43 PM

i can't stand this song for some reason (and the only good songs on "songs about jane" are the singles. I might download the album.

big whoppa 05-17-07 04:59 PM

I downloaded the single from Itunes and I've only done that twice before. It was instantly catchy after I heard it on the radio about a month ago. Hot dance track. Great video too.

Maroon 5 performed the single on Idol last night and they perform again on SNL this weekend.

Oh, and there is a higher resolution version of that video on their website.

jrobinson 05-22-07 05:14 PM

I just picked up the new CD today at BB w/ the 2 bonus tracks. I've been listening too it... very poppy. Not sure what to think about it.

U6C84 05-22-07 05:46 PM

I've been listening to the new cd for a week or two now. At first I didn't like it at all, now I kinda like it.

nothingfails 05-22-07 09:01 PM

I think I'll like it better when I have a better chance to get into it. I tried to listen to it earlier but had a lot of distractions that really prevented me from really getting into it.

mdc3000 05-23-07 08:59 AM

I think this new record is better than their last album... a lot of fun upbeat tracks on it.

firteen88 05-23-07 07:49 PM

I picked up te album today. Never heard a Maroon 5 album before, only listened to their singles. So far I've only heard the first 5 songs but I like it. Very upbeat and fun. Looking forward to hearing the rest.

project86 05-23-07 08:54 PM

Is the rest of the album disco crap like the first single? If not I might check it out. But that new single... ugh, no more disco please. It died long ago and needs to stay dead.

gatoinfeliz 05-24-07 12:38 AM

I've had the album for about three weeks and it has far surpassed Songs About Jane. My only problem is that we waited half a decade for it. A bunch of great songs with about two or three fillers. I would have hoped Won't Go Home Without You would be the next single but it's going to be Wake Up Call, what a way to kill them momentum. At least they played it on SNL, kinda figure it'll be a single further down the line.

nothingfails 05-24-07 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by project86
Is the rest of the album disco crap like the first single? If not I might check it out. But that new single... ugh, no more disco please. It died long ago and needs to stay dead.

disco bashing died long ago and needs to stay dead. Donna Summer and The Bee Gees had some amazing music, end.

Makes Me Wonder sounds much more like early 1980's funk than disco.

Quake1028 05-24-07 07:51 AM

My GF is a huge fan. She's been to 2 or 3 shows, driving from Florida to Alabama for one of them. She has every release of theirs, including before they were Maroon 5. Anywho, I got her the CD a few weeks ago. At first she was really disappointed, but now she says she is warming to it. Personally I can't stand them, but to each their own.

Quake1028 05-25-07 08:12 PM

Anyone get this at best buy? If so, were the bonus tracks on a separate disc? Did you have to ask for it?

mdc3000 05-25-07 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by gatoinfeliz
I would have hoped Won't Go Home Without You would be the next single but it's going to be Wake Up Call, what a way to kill them momentum.

What??? I think Wake Up Call is one of the best tracks on the record...it's going to do really well as a single (which kind of makes me sad, since that means it'll get overplayed and start to get on my nerves)...they usually go 2 upbeat singles, then a slower one, so Won't Go Home will probably be the third single from the record.

jrobinson 05-26-07 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Anyone get this at best buy? If so, were the bonus tracks on a separate disc? Did you have to ask for it?

I purchased my copy at BB and almost got it without the bonus CD. The version with the bonus tracks has a sticker on it that indicates it as a special 2-disc version. The versions look identical (besides the sticker indicating it has the bonus tracks on a 2nd CD.)

nothingfails 05-27-07 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by gatoinfeliz
I've had the album for about three weeks and it has far surpassed Songs About Jane. My only problem is that we waited half a decade for it. A bunch of great songs with about two or three fillers. I would have hoped Won't Go Home Without You would be the next single but it's going to be Wake Up Call, what a way to kill them momentum. At least they played it on SNL, kinda figure it'll be a single further down the line.

Won't Go Home Without You would likely do well, but Maroon 5 does not need this as a single because She Will Be Loved already typecast them as AC to a lot of rock snobs. Either they can play into it and be thrust into a realm that is criminally uncool or have the image of that of a funky pop/rock band. Look what the ballads have done to Phil Collins' image, a lot of people don't realize he used to rock.

kurupt 05-27-07 07:01 AM

When Songs About Jane came out, I was a fan because it reminded me of 70's Rundgren-esque rock, but this album, while being impeccibly produced, is a little too poppy for me. Not to say that I don't appreciate it (Won't Go Home Without You is good example of how pop music can actually be more substance than style), but I don't like this sound as much as their last sound.

PJsig08 05-27-07 10:25 AM

Very poppy, but still alright. Pretty surprised it has some good tracks.

And from the kid who said the first song is disco, your statement holds no merit. It's funk. You were born in 1987. Go do some research and come back.

nothingfails 05-27-07 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by PJsig08
Very poppy, but still alright. Pretty surprised it has some good tracks.

And from the kid who said the first song is disco, your statement holds no merit. It's funk. You were born in 1987. Go do some research and come back.

lol, the kid probably had "Disco Sucks" parents who brainwashed him from birth that disco was evil. Sad, but I have seen a lot of people like that. Disco music had it's low points (Ethel Merman's disco album, Village People, etc...), but it also had it's great moments. I'm sure to a lot of those people it'd be better if Adam started whining more (he has a good emo voice if he wanted to do that) and Maroon 5 became a pretentious annoying emo band, that'd be so much better than making a song that is totally funk (:::sarcasm:::).

nothingfails 05-27-07 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by kurupt
When Songs About Jane came out, I was a fan because it reminded me of 70's Rundgren-esque rock, but this album, while being impeccibly produced, is a little too poppy for me. Not to say that I don't appreciate it (Won't Go Home Without You is good example of how pop music can actually be more substance than style), but I don't like this sound as much as their last sound.

I'm a little surprised you think this cd is too poppy. I actually think they rock harder here than they did on Jane. I liked SAJ when it came out, but they were definately a lot more Adult Contemporary friendly there (She Will Be Loved was huge on AC radio, pretty much making rock snobs hate them immediately) than they are here.