DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Zed [Led] Zeppelin to reunite? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/496099-zed-%5Bled%5D-zeppelin-reunite.html)

Dalvin 03-23-07 08:20 PM

Zed [Led] Zeppelin to reunite?

Has anyone else heard this? First Genesis, then The Police, and now these guys? My god....I think everyone is trying to really cash in. I have heard it will be Robert, Jimmy,John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham(son of the late drummer John). My God...if this is true...I seriously can't wait.

vegasbaby 03-23-07 08:22 PM

No John Bonham. Its like 'The Who' without their drummer (and now bass player).

Also, John Paul Jones made up with those 2 ?

AGuyNamedMike 03-23-07 08:24 PM

Whose motorcycle is this?
It’s a chopper, baby.
Whose chopper is this?
Zed’s.
Who’s Zed?
Zed's dead, baby, Zed's dead.

The Infidel 03-23-07 08:24 PM

Who the hell is Zed Zeppelin? The fifth member from Kentucky?

wendersfan 03-23-07 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by vegasbaby
No John Bonham. Its like 'The Who' without their drummer (and now bass player).

Also, John Paul Jones made up with those 2 ?

They can just do what everybody else does and get Zak Starkey. I swear, that kid is probably the best rock drummer in the world right now.

das Monkey 03-23-07 08:26 PM

:lol:

http://www.retro-stuff.co.uk/acatalog/zedkey2sa.jpg

B5Erik 03-23-07 09:30 PM

I don't know about Zed Zeppelin, but I'd love to see a Dread Zeppelin reunion!

BRING ON TORTELVIS!!!!

"I'm a whole lotta hunka hunka burning love!!"

(As for LED Zeppelin, it's over and done - LONG over and done. If they were going to do this the time would have been right 15 years ago. Plant's vocal range is gone, and Page is almost as broken down as Ozzy and plays about as sloppy as me. John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham would be the best part of a Led Zeppelin reunion, really.)

parker63 03-24-07 12:33 AM

That Jimmy Page is one hell of a zead guitarist.

Tscott 03-24-07 01:08 AM

I'm sensing a Whole Zotta Love in this thread...

atlantamoi 03-24-07 06:56 AM

Zed Zeppelin! Zsa Zsa Gabor + Dread Zeppelin! How can you lose?

To be honest, I'd go see this reformation if I scored realistic priced tickets. I was all excited about seeing them for the first time when Bon kicked the bucket. Dammit.

kilcher 03-24-07 10:01 AM

After a quick search this is the only thing I could find. Just Jason saying he'd like to play with the band, even if it's only once.

http://www.therockradio.com/2007/03/...hoping-to.html

drmoze 03-24-07 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I don't know about Zed Zeppelin, but I'd love to see a Dread Zeppelin reunion!

BRING ON TORTELVIS!!!!

"I'm a whole lotta hunka hunka burning love!!"

Tortelvis has LEFT the band? (Again?) I'd *really* like to see a reunion with Jah Paul Jo. Probably won't happen, alas.

mickey65 03-24-07 11:59 AM

I don't think they'll reunite - altho they only did that ONE time for the Live Aid show - with Phil (gag!) Collins on drums!

Plus, John Paul Jones is a bit peeved at Robert Plant and Jimmy Page for blowing him off when they did that Led Zep unplugged thing on MTV a few years back.

I'm a hard-core Zep fan (with a Swan Song logo tattooed on the back of my right hand to prove it!), and I haven't heard a word about this.

I'm not a big fan of The Who, but I think they should have disbanded after the bass player croaked. I called them "Who's Left?" now!

atlantamoi 03-24-07 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by mickey65
I'm not a big fan of The Who, but I think they should have disbanded after the bass player croaked. I called them "Who's Left?" now!

But you still have the two main guys left (just like with Zep) and from many reports I've read the latest Who tour has been pretty damn great.

Josh-da-man 03-24-07 04:33 PM

Maybe Zed Yago is getting back together.

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 03-24-07 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
But you still have the two main guys left (just like with Zep) and from many reports I've read the latest Who tour has been pretty damn great.

Yeah its pretty good, not crap like that CD they released.

rw2516 03-24-07 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by mickey65
I don't think they'll reunite - altho they only did that ONE time for the Live Aid show - with Phil (gag!) Collins on drums!

Plus, John Paul Jones is a bit peeved at Robert Plant and Jimmy Page for blowing him off when they did that Led Zep unplugged thing on MTV a few years back.

I'm a hard-core Zep fan (with a Swan Song logo tattooed on the back of my right hand to prove it!), and I haven't heard a word about this.

They reunited for Knebworth in '90(I think it was) and the Hall of Fame. There was second drummer at Live Aid. I think it was Plant's drummer from the tour he was on. Collins didn't rehearse with them, it was a spur of the moment thing and he kept looking over to the other drummer trying to follow his lead.
There are no bad feelings between Jones and Page/Plant. They have always been and remain good friends. He tossed one good natured jab at them during his acceptance at hall of fame about "remembering his phone number".
The whole point of retiring the band was because Bonham was irreplaceable and they never wanted to come across as Led Zeppelin with a replacement drummer. It would be like The Beatles without Ringo. A rip-off. I guess they could call themselves Page/Plant Jones or PPJ or something. They decided Led Zeppelin consisted of four distinct individuals and anything else would be a pale imitation.
Right off the bat, even before Plant's first solo record, Page and Plant moved on without Jones rehearsing with Chris Squire(bass) and Alan White(drums) of Yes,calling themselves the XYZ Band. If anything got put down on tape it's never surfaced.
I don't ever see this happening, mostly out of the band's desire to leave Led Zeppelin strictly defined as Page/Plant/Jones/ (John)Bonham.

GuessWho 03-24-07 08:49 PM

I'm happy that I saw the Page & Plant tour in the mid 90s... that's the closest we'll ever get.

The Infidel 03-24-07 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by drmoze
Tortelvis has LEFT the band? (Again?)

Looks like he's kept busy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../tortelvis.jpg

JeffTheAlpaca 05-07-13 06:11 PM

Re: Zed [Led] Zeppelin to reunite?

Bill Clinton of all people tried

Rock music royalty including the Rolling Stones joined last year's charity show for victims of superstorm Sandy -- but even Bill Clinton couldn't convince Led Zeppelin to play.

Organizers said they tried to get the iconic band to play the so-called "12-12-12" concert at New York's Madison Square Garden in December, alongside the likes of Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen, The Who and Eric Clapton.

The Robin Hood Foundation were brainstorming to put the show together in only a few weeks, ultimately raising $50 million to help victims of the October 29 hurricane-strength storm which killed about 120 people.

"There were two bands that we were trying desperately to recruit, one was Rolling Stones, the other was Led Zeppelin," the group's executive director David Saltzman explained on CBS news show "60 Minutes."

Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein "had this great idea that we could enlist Bill Clinton to convince Led Zeppelin to reunite to perform at the 12-12-12 concert.

"So, Harvey and I got on a plane to fly down to Washington to meet with President Clinton who was going to be seeing the members of Led Zeppelin, who were being honored at the Kennedy Center.

"And, you know, the president was terrific. He goes, 'I really want to do this. This would be a fantastic thing. I love Led Zeppelin.' And Bill Clinton himself asked Led Zeppelin to reunite. And they wouldn't do it."
http://www.newsdaily.com/article/1a5...-to-sandy-show

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...t_2555629b.jpg

mickey65 05-07-13 10:35 PM

It's been 6 six years since their last show together - which was done only by request by Ahmet's wife as a tribute for him (The president of Atlantic Records) after he passed away. If they haven't done anything since then, I don't think they ever will.

Mordred 05-07-13 10:51 PM

Yeah, it's not happening. Pretty sad because that tribute show was really damn good. My guess is that Robert doesn't want to be a touring only act and he doesn't want to write Zeppelin style music anymore so he has no reason to get the band back together.

rw2516 05-08-13 06:08 AM

I have a personal feeling that they have become perfectionist about their image. A less than stellar performance is a stain on that image. They rehearsed six weeks for the reunion show and pulled it off. They performed like they had been on tour non stop for 40 years. Not a quickly slapped together performance you often get from benefits and reward shows.
If they can't do it right they're not going to do it, and going through six weeks of rehearsal for a single show is asking a lot.