Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Just got an Ipod and have some questions [should be in Tech]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-22-07, 03:00 PM

My friends Ipod has a playlist called My top 25, he said it came up automatically but mine doesnt have it. Do I have to listen for a certain amount of time before it is created?
Also what do people usually buy 30 or 80 G. I bought 30, but after filling 2.25 in about two weeks and the 2.25 the ipod has filled when you buy it, i am thinking the extra 100 for the 50 extra gig may have been a good idea.
Old 03-22-07, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can make your own Top 25 playlist by using the smart playlist function in iTunes (found under File > New Smart Playlist).

Uncheck - "Match the following rule"
Check - Limit to 25 items selected by most often played
Check - Live updating (this will update the playlist everytime you sync your iPod)

Smart playlists are a pretty cool feature, IMO.

As for your other question, I learned the hard way when I bought my 10gig 3rd gen iPod that those things fill up fast. When it came time to buy a new one, I picked up the 80gig. Hopefully it'll be enough for a while (though it's already about 1/2 full).
Old 03-22-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had a 10gig 3rd gen and like a month later the 15gig came out. doh!

now I have a 30gb and it's plenty big. I have over 14,000 songs on my Mac Mini, but hey, I'm never gone from home long enough that I can't arrange to have my iPod rocking what I want it to. Manage your playlists well and get a ratings system down, and a 30gig will do you just fine.

For example, I have a playlist that I sync that is of my most recent additions. And I do a new one every month. So I'm always sure the new stuff is on the iPod. Also, I have a playlist of all my 4 and 5 star rated songs (My Top Rated) that is ALWAYS on the iPod and I also have a 3 star one (Middle of the Road, I call it) that I will limit to say, 5gig or something, and have it selected by random, to throw on most of the time. Then, you may want to make a playlist of your Top 50 albums, or "the essentials" that you must always have on the iPod. From there, just fill it up with whatever else.

Like I said, I keep some things on there all the time, the rest go in and out depending on my travels, how new the records are, etc...

Have fun with it!!
Old 03-22-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the ipods come with 2.5 gig already full? wtf?
Old 03-22-07, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GuessWho
the ipods come with 2.5 gig already full? wtf?
Just like a 100gb hd is really only 97gb. It is the way they are measured. It isn't filled up.

In order to have a top 25 list, you first have to rate some songs. Have you done that?
Old 03-22-07, 04:21 PM

I havent gotten into all this stuff yet. Sounds great thanks for all the tips. I didnt sync my Itunes with my Ipod because my girlfriend uses Itunes all the time and I dont want that crap(captain & tenille, fill me up buttercup, come on eilene) on my ipod. So I am forced to upload and drag.
One question is the most listened to playlist based on how many times you listen to a song on the ipod or on itunes?
Old 03-22-07, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My son just got an iPod and I'm ready to throw it out the window. Honestly, my little $50 MP3 player is a thousand times easier to use.
Old 03-22-07, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What do you find so complicated about the iPod Kittydreamer? I'm interested b/c I've found my iPod incredibly easy to use.
Old 03-22-07, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The thing I don't like about the iPod is having to use iTunes. I just want to be able to copy folders (each folder being an album) to the thing.
Old 03-22-07, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by reubs82
What do you find so complicated about the iPod Kittydreamer? I'm interested b/c I've found my iPod incredibly easy to use.
Well so far I have yet to figure out how to add music or delete music. Somehow I managed to add my collection of Green Day but um, my 9 year old doesn't need to hear most of their songs. I have no clue how I managed to do this. Also, I'm retarded. *hangs head in shame*
Old 03-22-07, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sticky Bomb
I havent gotten into all this stuff yet. Sounds great thanks for all the tips. I didnt sync my Itunes with my Ipod because my girlfriend uses Itunes all the time and I dont want that crap(captain & tenille, fill me up buttercup, come on eilene) on my ipod. So I am forced to upload and drag.
One question is the most listened to playlist based on how many times you listen to a song on the ipod or on itunes?
first of all, you need a new girlfriend.

ok, and you don't have to sync the whole library. you can just sync selected playlists. that may be your best bet. and, if I'm not mistaken, ONLY if you sync will the iPod ratings and play counts carry over into iTunes. I'm pretty sure.
Old 03-22-07, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
Well so far I have yet to figure out how to add music or delete music. Somehow I managed to add my collection of Green Day but um, my 9 year old doesn't need to hear most of their songs. I have no clue how I managed to do this. Also, I'm retarded. *hangs head in shame*
1. Install iTunes on your PC.
2. Plug in iPod (play with settings using the guide that came with it).
3. Click and drag preripped songs from the PC to iTunes or use iTunes to rip CDs THEN click and drag onto the iPod.

Done!
Old 03-22-07, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Just like a 100gb hd is really only 97gb
Understood, but he's saying 2.5 out of 10. That's a quarter and seems like a lot to me.
Old 03-22-07, 08:51 PM

One more question. is there a way to delete the album pictures and have it stop downloading the album covers?
Album pictures are taking up about 100mb of space. that is about 20 albums.
Old 03-22-07, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Understood, but he's saying 2.5 out of 10. That's a quarter and seems like a lot to me.
the 30 gig Ipod has 2.5 g of space used out of the box. You only have 27. something available.
Old 03-22-07, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You mean 20 songs, right?
You should be able to go into the ipod section under 'music' when your ipod is connected and check/uncheck "Display album artwork on ipod."
I think by default itunes finds album artwork when you add tracks, but you don't have to have them on the ipod itself.
Old 03-22-07, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by redhenry
1. Install iTunes on your PC.
2. Plug in iPod (play with settings using the guide that came with it).
3. Click and drag preripped songs from the PC to iTunes or use iTunes to rip CDs THEN click and drag onto the iPod.

Done!
Ok, number three is the problem here. I know how to rip CDs and such but I don't want the entire CD on the iPod, just select songs.
Old 03-22-07, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can either:
* rip them all then delete the ones you don't like from your library;
* set up a playlist/s or smart playlist/s to include the songs you want using various criteria;
* rip them all, leave them in your library, uncheck the ones you don't want on your ipod, then in the ipod preferences select 'manage only checked songs' or something like that. That's what I've done for a lot of the duplicates (for greatest hits albums, I uncheck the track on the original album.)
Old 03-22-07, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sticky Bomb
I havent gotten into all this stuff yet. Sounds great thanks for all the tips. I didnt sync my Itunes with my Ipod because my girlfriend uses Itunes all the time and I dont want that crap(captain & tenille, fill me up buttercup, come on eilene) on my ipod.
Hey, I got all those three on my iPod. It doesn't quite fit with all my metal & punk stuff, but I like it!
Old 03-23-07, 02:39 AM

Ok, number three is the problem here. I know how to rip CDs and such but I don't want the entire CD on the iPod, just select songs.
I don't have iTunes in fornt of me ATM but after iTunes has ID'ed the CD and listed the songs, select just the titles you want (hold down Ctrl and click the titles) then let go Ctrl and right click on a highlighted song title. There is an option there to rip (called Convert ID3 tags - I think) - click that and it will rip the highlighted choices.

When they are finished, click on "Library" on the left hand menu of iTunes to see themin a playlist (they are actually stored in an iTunes folder on yr hard drive) and click and drag the lot to your iPod.

I believe that there is a default setting that rips the entire CD but mine doesn't so I must have altered that setting when i got my iPod a couple of years back. When I put a CD in, it does a net search and lists the tracks but rips NONE until I have done the above process.

It might be easier to click and drag pre-ripped mp3s from your PC to the iPod (drag them to yr iPod that is listed down the left hand side of iTunes). You'll know you've done it right as it gives a progress report across the top of iTunes.
Old 03-23-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, I think I understand. I'll give it a try after coffee and report back. Thank you all so much.
Old 03-23-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

iTunes is fucking stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Old 03-23-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just going to have to agree with you, Bus.

Ok, I think I got it sorta figured out. Now I need to put some "new music" on it. What are kids listening to these days?
Old 03-23-07, 04:18 PM

I'm just going to have to agree with you, Bus.

Ok, I think I got it sorta figured out. Now I need to put some "new music" on it. What are kids listening to these days?
Define "kids". Kids as in your budding erotic artist, or kids as in guys like me, Giles, Hiro, The Bus, etc?

ETA: The new releases by The Shins, Arcade Fire, and Modest Mouse seem to be generating a lot of interest. Also, you might try Amy Winehouse, but she's not my cup of tea (at all.)
Old 03-23-07, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I sympathize ... got an 80 GB iPod a couple of weeks ago. Still getting used to it. Finally got my CD selection ripped - still have over 50 GB left (definitely needed the bigger size though). The jury's still out on iTunes though. When left to its own devices, it seems to sometimes do strange things. I'm sure it's deleted some files I didn't want it to, and the way it organizes things doesn't always make sense. And I had to move around files and directories a couple of times, and it really doesn't seem to like that. I don't get the song buying thing either. People really pay CD-prices for 128 Kbps AAC files? I guess they must since those are the prices. They lose me though. It sucks since I'd buy tons of stuff for say, $5 a CD. But I'll buy nothing for $10.

iTunes keeps recommending for me purchases of Fall Out Boy, Daughtry, Fergie, and Gym Class Heroes. That must be the hip-kid music

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.