DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Kaiser Chiefs: Who are they, and are they any good? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/495621-kaiser-chiefs-who-they-they-any-good.html)

reubs82 03-18-07 09:40 PM

Kaiser Chiefs: Who are they, and are they any good?

As I've been spending more time on this forum and with my iPod I've started looking into more music, and I see that the Kaiser Chiefs have a new one out in a few weeks for pretty cheap.

How is this band, and how do they compare to others out there? Sound, music, lyrics, etc?

Thanks in advance.

fallfan 03-18-07 10:18 PM

I'd probably compare them to mid period Blur, sound-wise. Their first album was a bit patchy, but it had some really good singles. Check out "I Predict A Riot". I really like their new single "Ruby". Looking forward to the new album

chino77 03-18-07 10:24 PM

not to sound like a dick but we are on the internet. check out allmusicguide.com or their myspace page. maybe learn how to use bitorrent or limewire. if you like it then buy it (or not). like any band some will say they suck some will say they are good. listen for yourself to judge them. personally i like them but i see alot of negative feedback in the hipster indie forums i go to.

chino77 03-18-07 10:26 PM

nevermind

paulringodaman 03-18-07 11:19 PM

they were the FIRST and ONLY band that I saw that were openers that were better than the headliners (Weezer/Foo Fighters)

also, na na na na naa, i predict a riot, everyday i love you less and less, and oh my god are INCREDIBLE songs

The Bus 03-19-07 08:05 AM

They have a couple of good songs and fit into that sort of new-wave revival from 2004-2006, along with Maximo Park, Dogs Die in Hot Cars, The Futureheads, etc. I'd put them at the middle of the pack of that group of bands. They've got more than one good song but unlike Maximo Park their entire album isn't good.

Hiro11 03-19-07 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
They have a couple of good songs and fit into that sort of new-wave revival from 2004-2006, along with Maximo Park, Dogs Die in Hot Cars, The Futureheads, etc. I'd put them at the middle of the pack of that group of bands. They've got more than one good song but unlike Maximo Park their entire album isn't good.

That's sort of how I see them. They're yet another (slightly better than most) Jam/Gang of Four/neo-mod- inspired Brit-guitar pop band.

Also, their new album isn't as good as their debut. IMO. It's much more poppy and rote with shouty choruses and football/lager type lyrics. A very average album, IMO.

Giles 03-19-07 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by paulringodaman

also, na na na na naa, i predict a riot, everyday i love you less and less, and oh my god are INCREDIBLE songs

'Oh My God' is a great song, but my fave off the first album is 'Modern Way'

Originally Posted by Hiro11

Also, their new album isn't as good as their debut. IMO. It's much more poppy and rote with shouty choruses and football/lager type lyrics. A very average album, IMO.

I agree it isn't as strong as the first, but it still delivers - I enjoyed it immensely. There's a Best Buy two track sampler of live cuts currently out, that has a two dollar off coupon that one can use for the actual CD, I think... but don't quote me, the Best Buy edition has a least one bonus track exclusive to BB.

UK and US have a bonus DVD, The dvd is comprised of six live tracks from a gig last year in Berlin of all new songs.

wendersfan 03-19-07 10:07 AM

I'm with Hiro and The Bus on this one. They're a decent band and some of their songs are very catchy in that retro 80s way.

When I played "I Predict a Riot" for my wife she told me she'd heard the song a bunch of times and just assumed it was a song from the 80s she'd forgotten about. :)

Giles 03-19-07 10:18 AM

That's sort of how I see them. They're yet another (slightly better than most) Jam/Gang of Four/neo-mod- inspired Brit-guitar pop band.

what do you think of The Fratellis album: 'Costello Music' - as a debut album that impressed me immensly.

Hiro11 03-19-07 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
what do you think of The Fratellis album: 'Costello Music' - as a debut album that impressed me immensly.

I agree, I liked that album a lot (more than either of the Kaiser Chief's albums). I reminded me of Supergrass' debut: a bunch of coked-up teenagers making completely wired music.

I'd say Maximo Park still has the best album of this very specific genre, though. If you rope Bloc Party in, either of their albums are much better than anything here, IMO.

Giles 03-19-07 10:44 AM

I agree, I liked that album a lot (more than either of the Kaiser Chief's albums). I reminded me of Supergrass' debut: a bunch of coked-up teenagers making completely wired music.

I'd say Maximo Park still has the best album of this very specific genre, though. If you rope Bloc Party in, either of their albums are much better than anything here, IMO.

and it's only 7.99 at Best Buy :D best blind purchase this year so far!

I'm really quite angered that once again another UK band, Maximo Park in the instancem bypasses DC, I believe they were part of the numerous opening bands for the Killer/Keane show at Merriweather, but I missed them :(

Maximo Park US tour dates:

Wed 07/11/07 Allston, MA Great Scott

Thu 07/12/07 New York, NY Webster Hall

Fri 07/13/07 Montreal, QC La Tulipe

Sat 07/14/07 Toronto, ON The Mod Club Theatre

Mon 07/16/07 Chicago, IL Double Door

Tue 07/17/07 Minneapolis, MN Varsity Theatre

Thu 07/19/07 Denver, CO Larimer Lounge

Fri 07/20/07 Salt Lake City, UT Club Sound

Sun 07/22/07 Seattle, WA Chop Suey

Mon 07/23/07 Vancouver, BC Richard's On Richards

Tue 07/24/07 Portland, OR Doug Fir Lounge

Thu 07/26/07 San Francisco, CA TBA

Achtung 03-19-07 11:43 AM

Saw them at Lollapalooza in 2005 and haven't looked back. Fantastic energy, catchy tunes. Seeing them again in April.

They haven't gotten into US radio as much, though "I Predict a Riot" was a minor radio hit last year. And Fox is using "Modern Way" on the commercials for their new show "Drive".

danganet 03-19-07 12:17 PM

Check out Amazon for the new album. They got a version with a dvd on sale for $9.99 (50% off), which is at the same price as the single cd version. I am not sure what version will show up in stores like BB.

Also, has anyone picked up the single at Best Buy that was on sale for $1.99 as of last week? It has 2 live songs plus the cool video of "Ruby", it rang up $0.00 for me and it came with a $2 coupon for the new cd!

Trevor 03-19-07 12:22 PM

'Oh My God' is a great song, but my fave off the first album is 'Modern Way'

I agree, incredible song.

They are one of my favorite current bands.

I never frequent this forum, but thankfully saw this thread by chance on the main forum screen. Thanks for the BB coupon/Amazon tips guys.

Giles 03-19-07 02:15 PM

sorry to go off topic, but I can't seem to directly email you Hiro11, but you do know that the new Maximo Park single comes out today in the UK:

- MAXIMO PARK OUR VELOCITY/DISTANCE MAKES/MARY O BRIEN - CDS £2.99
- MAXIMO PARK OUR VELOCITY/PRIDE BEFORE A FALL-WHITE VINYl-LTD EDITION 7 £1.99
- MAXIMO PARK OUR VELOCITY/ROBERT ALTMAN-RED VINYL-LTD ED 7WAP220R 7 £1.99

Trevor 03-22-07 03:25 PM

The sampler CD is still ringing up free at Best Buy.

I haven't listened to the two live tracks much, but I digg the Ruby video.

reubs82 03-22-07 03:42 PM

I've got Employment on the way from Lala (which by the way appeared a few days after placing it on there...I've been waiting for other stuff for months...), so I'll check that out before pulling the trigger on their new one. Also, thanks for the heads up on the Fratellis. Maybe my money will go that way this week. Thanks.

EDIT: Trevor, which BB is it ringing up free at in No. Va? I may check that out on my next trip there.

Trevor 03-22-07 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by reubs82
EDIT: Trevor, which BB is it ringing up free at in No. Va? I may check that out on my next trip there.

I would imagine it is nationwide, just ignore the price tag and bring it up to the cashier.

I got it at the Tyson's store.

brucehf 03-24-07 10:49 PM

the samplers always seem to ring up free, just take them all up there and tell them you were told they are free.....never been asked to pay for them

Trevor 03-25-07 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by brucehf
the samplers always seem to ring up free, just take them all up there and tell them you were told they are free.....never been asked to pay for them

The Modest Mouse sampler doesn't unfortunately.

Giles 03-26-07 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by brucehf

The Tenleytown location discs didn't even have a price on them, but of course that doesn't surprise me since the music department staff comes across as completely incompetent anyway.

with the two dollars off the first week release price comes to $5.99. Can't tell if this includes the DVD that some retailers have noted the domestic version has.

SlingshotBandit 03-26-07 05:52 PM

Without a doubt. I didn't know what I was in for when I popped the cd into my car stereo. Brit rock with panache, attitude, flair, and catchy as all hell.

I highly recommend this one.

reubs82 03-26-07 07:31 PM

Just picked up the Fratellis today. Haven't ripped it to the iPod yet as I'm working through a Decemberists show, but I'll get to it soon. Can't wait.

Artman 03-27-07 10:46 AM

Can't tell if this includes the DVD that some retailers have noted the domestic version has.

The DVD version is in a hardcover digipack, got mine in the mail yesterday. It's anamorphic and pretty good, worth the extra few bucks imo.