Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Best Rap Songs of the past five years

Old 03-30-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Lupe Fiasco - Kick Push.
K-Os - B Boy Stance
Ghostface - Run
Will Smith - Holy Roller (go ahead, clown me)
Busta - NY Shit
De La Soul - Church
Slum Village - 1,2

How can you put Will Smith on a list with De La, Slum, Etc. The thread is for best rap songs in past 5 years not best pop song of past 5 years. I dont care what anybody says but Will Smith isnt rap he is pop
Old 03-30-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by acubfaninmd
How can you put Will Smith on a list with De La, Slum, Etc. The thread is for best rap songs in past 5 years not best pop song of past 5 years. I dont care what anybody says but Will Smith isnt rap he is pop
Because I liked it and he was rapping on the song?

Are you saying Fresh Prince/Will Smith isn't hip-hop or isn't hip-hop anymore? If it's the latter you sort of have a case, even though Lost and Found was mainly a rap album with a few attempts at "pop" songs. If it's the former, you couldn't be more wrong if you tried.
Old 03-31-07, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

im just saying will smith is pop and he isnt hip hop. I also would put Nelly in the Pop category, he isnt hip hop either. Nelly is a biter, that Band Aid thing he tried when he first came out was done before by Das Efx and someone who comes and tries to beef with a godfather/pioneer of the hip hop/rap scene than you dont get any respect for me. Nelly had no reason to come and try to start beef with KRS one like he did a few years ago. but now im rambling on.

my opinion is my opinion and your opinion is yours. i can say I think will smith is pop and doesnt really represent the hip hop culture and you can say he is hip hop.