DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Queens of the Stone Age: Era Vulgaris - June 2007 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/493550-queens-stone-age-era-vulgaris-june-2007-a.html)

auto 02-24-07 06:14 PM

Queens of the Stone Age: Era Vulgaris - June 2007

from pitchforkmedia:

Casablancas, Reznor, Lanegan on New QOTSA LP

Never ones to do things in a conventional matter, Queens of the Stone Age have "unofficially" leaked a bit of information about their new album.

The record is titled Era Vulgaris, is scheduled to come out in June, and is "rumored" to feature guest appearances from the Strokes' Julian Casablancas, Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor, Mark Lanegan, and ZZ Top guitarist Billy Gibbons.

The band's MySpace blog cryptically lists "Into the Hollow", "Sick, Sick, Sick", "Misfit Love", and "Battery Acid" as potential song titles.

Footage of the Queens recording in the studio is below, and though it's soundtracked mostly by feedback, there is a short song snippet with a twisted-around "Smells Like Teen Spirit" riff. Perhaps the sign of another Dave Grohl cameo?

In-studio Recording

auto 04-10-07 08:57 AM

Tracklist:

1 Turning on the Screw
2 Sick, Sick, Sick
3 I'm Designer
4 Into the Hollow
5 Misfit Love
6 Battery Acid
7 Make It Wit Chu
8 3's & 7's
9 Suture Up Your Future
10 River in the Road
11 Run Pig Run

Obey The D 05-13-07 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by auto

...there is a short song snippet with a twisted-around "Smells Like Teen Spirit" riff. Perhaps the sign of another Dave Grohl cameo?

That's the intro to "3's and 7's", which is currently floating around the net...great track.

Rival11 06-11-07 08:31 PM

Wow, this bad boy comes out tomorrow and no takers huh? I'll be picking it up. Here's Rolling Stone's review:

Era Vulgaris

foofighters7 06-11-07 09:07 PM

Im a huge QOTSA fan and will be waiting to get this. Awesome band. Fun live too. Ive got tickets already for their Aug show in Indy.

invisiblegt 06-11-07 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by foofighters7
Im a huge QOTSA fan and will be waiting to get this. Awesome band. Fun live too. Ive got tickets already for their Aug show in Indy.

See you there...

CTH 06-12-07 09:27 AM

I plan on heading to Best Buy on my lunchtime to pick this up. This is my most anticipated new release of the year.

foofighters7 06-12-07 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
See you there...

Cool, Just listen for the loudest screamer. Thats me. I dont think I ever get out...err...screamed.

I got told at the last show I was at, (cornell) buy a guy that he lost more hearing because of me than because of the music. haha

I quite liked that.

auto 06-12-07 04:38 PM

$10 at Best Buy. I've only heard the first few songs but I'm diggin' it. Should be a good summer record.

Rival11 06-12-07 05:00 PM

Picked it up today - gave it a quick listen so far and love it - track 5 (don't know the name yet) is a kick ass tune.

Thrush 06-13-07 12:53 AM

After a hanful of listens. Its sorta, meh. Definitely a different sound than any previous QOTSA effort.

islandclaws 06-14-07 05:29 PM

Another QotSA classic. Once again this is unmistakably a Queens record, especially since it differs greatly from it's predecessors which is their norm. This is going to be my album for the summer easily. I love the artwork and layout. It's full of catchy tunes and mellow grooves. Bummer that the BB exclusive track is only Windows Media compatible, but thankfully it can be had on file sharing sites so you can download it to itunes. In fact there were quite a few b-sides from this session so my buddy made me a little ep with all of them.

I've got tix for the concert in Costa Mesa next month. Gonna rock!

U6C84 06-14-07 05:42 PM

I was at a concert last week where Queens was playing.

AWESOME!

They played a couple of their new tracks and they sounded good to me.

I'll probably get this some time this week

Rival11 06-19-07 04:49 PM

Definitely my fav Queens cd - I keep stopping one song to go to the next - can't get enough.

Between this and the new Stripes I consider myself spoiled - I did not expect these albums to be a good as they are.

foofighters7 06-20-07 11:57 PM

Its not my fav QOTSA album, but doesnt matter because they have all been great.

also, did anyone else notice that sick, sick, sick sounds a bit like a sped up version of All My Life by Foo Fighters? especially near the beginning.. I at first thought it MUST be me, but I had a few friends listen to them back to back, and they both said they definetly heard a similar sound going on.

Anyways, Great album, cant wait til the Indy show..
and today they just announced they added a L'ville show, next day after the Indy show, If it were a week apart I would certaintly go to both, but im still thinking about it even a day apart. hmmm what to do..

drainout 06-26-07 06:59 PM

Just found out that Queens covered Tom Waits Going Out West on the Sick, Sick, Sick single. Has anybody heard it yet? That's a great song to start with.

foofighters7 06-26-07 10:17 PM

Im a bigger Waits fan than QOTSA fan and thats saying something. haha

Ive been looking for the QOTSA' version of Goin' Out West without buying the actual cd single since I heard about it awhile back.

By the way, anyone who doesnt own it, Do yourself a favor and Go buy Tom Waits' Bone Machine album right now.

Who else here can really drive a bed? Hmmm? That Is the question.

drainout 06-27-07 09:00 AM

Bone Machine is great, but Rain Dogs will always be my favorite.

foofighters7 06-27-07 01:58 PM

Drainout, I agree. It is my favorite too. But bone machine is now a close second. I mentioned it because of Goin' Out West.

Hmm.. a QOTSA/WAITS thread. hehe

Rival11 09-09-07 09:44 PM

Thought some of you would like to hear what Misfit Love sounds like live:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sYw0KhwXdAY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sYw0KhwXdAY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

lcnickell 09-10-07 06:06 PM

Boy did this album ever bomb.

seems as this is probably the end as well, as label didn't even give the band any touring support for europe following this crapper.

heard this once and it's clear to see all the talent that was one time in the band is long since gone.

Cusm 09-10-07 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by lcnickell
heard this once and it's clear to see all the talent that was one time in the band is long since gone.

Wow I would have to completely disagree with EVERYTHING you said.

auto 09-10-07 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm
Wow I would have to completely disagree with EVERYTHING you said.

As would I. What makes you think this album bombed? How many copies has it sold?

foofighters7 09-10-07 07:18 PM

Quite a random and bizarre statement to me.

When people start saying things like "it bombed" I alway like to know how they get to that statement. Bombed? To who? Why? Queens of the Stone Age are not exactly a household name. They have gotten QUITE a bit bigger over the past few years, but are still not a HUGE money tree band. They have their real fans, and then a lot of poser fan types who look at Top 40 singles only and want to hear all the songs on the radio or they get pissed.
Its certaintly not MY favorite QOTSA album, but its good, and honestly im surprised at the number of people who say this is their favorite QOTSA album. Ive heard quite a number of people say this is their favorite so far.

As far as support, they did get support. And they are touring in Europe. Wether or not it was all done with the record company holding their hand is just moot to me.

lcnickell 09-10-07 09:43 PM

Lanegan as full time member, and Oliveri on bass/and vocals were clearly the talent in the band.

last album was dud, with the first single being a reject from the songs for the deaf album.

this album, doing better than last in sales comparison so far, but nothing like SFTD.

when i say no support from label, the label didn't take out the same full page ads and back cover ads as they did for the previous 3 albums - in all the euro press.

they got no label support to play the Euro Festivals, or at least the Big ones- which in years past they were always invited to with a new album.

though it was a stupid sign in buying the back cover of kerrang promoting Lullabies, and then having that album slaughtered in the review in the same issue.

Kerrang was thier biggest supporte

their day is done and good riddance.

seeing them numerous times , they always put me to sleep.