Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Queens of the Stone Age: Era Vulgaris - June 2007

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Queens of the Stone Age: Era Vulgaris - June 2007

Old 09-10-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry man your storys all wet. looks more like a threadcrap.

L2P sold more than EV in their respective first weeks out. L2P got excellent overall reviews and sold a ton of albums.
EV hasnt sold as much but has still recieved overall good reviews. Rolling stone gave it 4 stars.. the ONLY other QOTSA album they gave 4 stars to was their self titled debut album. (i dont really care what any mag says im just using this to show that a very big, perhaps the biggest music mag, says the newest is one of their best).
SFTD sold more and got great reviews too.
Nick was great, Mark is great, but the whole idea of QOTSA is a somewhat revolving cast.
It seems like you just dont like the band and want to crap on them. Some of your statements were not founded in truth, and most just looked to be hater-ish.
And before you say...no no no.. Your statement of "their day is done and good riddance" just shows your a hater, and you should never have posted in the first place if you had nothing to say.
If you were to have said "I dont care for the new album I basically quite liking them after SFTD, Im hot for Nick" I would have been cool with it.

And btw , ive talked to quite a few people who have been to a QOTSA show and never have heard from any of them they were put to sleep. Even by non-fans. Ive seen them several times since 2000 and I think they do a good show.
Old 09-10-07, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 203 Likes on 138 Posts
I for one cannot understand what anyone sees in Songs for the Deaf. It's not a bad album but it's definitely the least fav out of all of them for me.

Seems like anytime someone gets made a this band they always have to bring up Songs for the Deaf.

I really think wife-beater Nick took A LOT AWAY from the band and the creative side on how Homme likes to do things. I don't think Lullabies would have been as good as it is if Nick was in it.

I love Era Vulagaris because the tunes are just so damn raw and once again completely different from anything they have done. It took me forever to adjust to this album and now that I have, I find myseld constantly listening to it.
Old 09-10-07, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lcnickell

their day is done and good riddance.

seeing them numerous times , they always put me to sleep.
I alway make it a point to see bands numerous times that I find boring.
Old 09-11-07, 03:26 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm, never went to really see Qotsa, when your friends of the band members, or friends with opening band/headlining band, you'll go see and sit through about anyone.

i always thought they were a boring band, recycled grunge crap.

granted i haven't seen them since 2003, but heard the albums- not impressed.

i saw their first show as QOTSA( sxsw 1998 ( turbonegro/dwarves) , saw them with dave grohl, and after him, they've always been a mediocre band at best.though grohl is impressive on drums to this day.

of course i thought kyuss was overrated as well.

the original fact is album is a bomb, they didn't get any label support for tour, especially overseas, and i guarantee they are done - they might do anyther album with their label, but they'll probably drop it to lesser sublabel.then they will be no more.

nick is a wife-beater now? obivously you're a fanboy, but not a very good one. as josh used that as his first excuse for dropping nick, but then later retracted, and now won't discuss the issue.

seeing as how josh admittedly assaults defenseless people for which he was charged, that'd be the pot calling the kettle black.
Old 09-11-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lcnickell
hmm, never went to really see Qotsa, when your friends of the band members, or friends with opening band/headlining band, you'll go see and sit through about anyone.

i always thought they were a boring band, recycled grunge crap.

granted i haven't seen them since 2003, but heard the albums- not impressed.

i saw their first show as QOTSA( sxsw 1998 ( turbonegro/dwarves) , saw them with dave grohl, and after him, they've always been a mediocre band at best.though grohl is impressive on drums to this day.

of course i thought kyuss was overrated as well.

the original fact is album is a bomb, they didn't get any label support for tour, especially overseas, and i guarantee they are done - they might do anyther album with their label, but they'll probably drop it to lesser sublabel.then they will be no more.

nick is a wife-beater now? obivously you're a fanboy, but not a very good one. as josh used that as his first excuse for dropping nick, but then later retracted, and now won't discuss the issue.

seeing as how josh admittedly assaults defenseless people for which he was charged, that'd be the pot calling the kettle black.
Uh, he did beat his wife: Wife Beater . When your friends with a band you'll sit through their show even if they suck? Why? Because they're famous? Not sure I really get that.
Old 09-11-07, 08:58 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont get it, because you get a site that says something that makes it true?

wow, i got a lot of stuff you dont know then.

here's a little tidbit, why don't you got to public court records access, before making such claims about people.

as stated previously, Josh did say that was the reason, then quickly retracted the statement. why? fear of being sued probably.

now are they famous or not????, one person claims their a household name ( or now FAMOUS) one claims they're not? who's correct?

seems as though is nick were convicted of anything- it would be hard for him to travel overseas or into canada,which he has done regularly for the last 8 years with various bands.

what i'm saying is stick with what you know, not with what you read. if you say album is great, fair enough, but why throw accusations about people you don't know, or know anything about.

my opinion was the album blows, and it's probably their last for the label.

if it were legal i'd bet this is the last one interscope, no way they're gonna push queens of the trust fund past this album. seeing is they already gave up on promoting them
Old 09-11-07, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's all good, I really don't care honestly and I'm not the kind of person who is a fanboy "stick by my band" type of guy either. In fact here's my breakdown for the hell of it:

Self titled - pretty good, same sound throughout but overall a breath of fresh air from what was being released at the time.

R - eh, whatever but it's a damn fun album and that's what did it for me

Songs for the Deaf - border-line shit - music any band can make and have already made - not sure what the hell was going here but still, there are about 2 or 3 cool tunes on the album.

Lullabies - liked it a lot but definitely the most monotonous of them all funny thing though? It has a lot of variety for what it is - monotonous with variety? Makes no sense I know and that's why I like it.

Era Vulgaris - like it the most - it breezes by when listening to it and I like how the songs at the end wind you down.

As for their label, I could care less I really, really, don't care who dumps them and who picks them up - they ain't done yet - too big of a fan base.

But what I still don't get is the whole being friends with the band and having to go to their shows thing - I don't care if you hit on again or not either - just saying. And yes, Queens of the Stone age are famous.