Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Upcoming Rush album and tour thread

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Upcoming Rush album and tour thread

Old 07-06-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Spoiler:
At a recent show, they apparantly played Distant Early Warning instead of Summertime Blues. Thank God.
I'm glad they dumped the song they did, but I don't like the replacement either but Oh Well. The song they dumped seemed really popular at the Scranton show, I'm not sure why.

The highlights of the show were for me:

Spoiler:
Basically anything from the new album, the lighting for Far Cry and Spindrift was AWSOME! I also really liked The Way the Wind Blows with the poor child tumbling backwards as the rest of his "tribe" kept on going; oh and how can I forget Working them Angels! My wish list would include the entire "Fear" trilogy and Red Sector A/Between the Wheels montage!

Last edited by Lateralus; 07-06-07 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-06-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts
Yeah, definitely not the ultimate replacement, but an upgrade.
Old 07-24-07, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, Rush played the Hollywood Bowl last night and I was a little disappointed.

I understand that they are in their mid 50's and they play with more energy than bands 20 years younger their junior, but that 25 minute intermission is a real momentum killer.

If they are going to do an intermission, why not play one of their old live performances, maybe Exit...Stage Left? At least kept the crowd interested in what is going on.

And then to come back and play 5 songs from their new album really didn't get the crowd into it. They politely clapped and cheered after those songs.

Now when they played Subdivisions, the crowd (and I) erupted. It may have been one of the best sounding songs of the night.

Also another problem, which wasn't their fault, was starting at 7:45 pm when it was still light. It pretty much killed their light show and the big screens couldn't even be seen for the first 45 minutes. But since they had to end by 11 pm (they ended 5 minutes before that), I guess they were forced to start that early.

I stopped actively listening to Rush music in 1985, because they got away from their progressive roots. In my opinion, they still had some good songs here and there, but I didn't listen to any of their new albums after that.

They will always be my 2nd, 3rd or 4th favorite group of all time (the 3 candidates are Rush, Queen & Genesis), and they will always be my favorite band to practice my drums to, but I'm thinking this will probably be my last concert that I will see of them.

I will happily play the Exit...Stage Left DVD, when I need my Rush fix.

They still put on a great show, with incredible lighting in my opinion. They are still the 'tightest' band of all time. No one comes close to their skills. I also noticed that Alex Lifeson sings a lot more backup on the newer songs, compared to the old songs. And of course, Neil Pearts drum solo was incredible and had 3 different elements to it.

Chris
Old 07-24-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have to agree with the 7:45 start time, the light show does not get good until after dark which was about intermission at the show I saw, that is why I will always like to see them in an arena as opposed to outside.

As for the intermission the concert I saw was only 15 minutes, I'm not sure why they waited 25. For me I love the new songs as I have heard all the old stuff lots of times before and I like seeing a new show.
Old 07-24-07, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I have to agree with the 7:45 start time, the light show does not get good until after dark which was about intermission at the show I saw, that is why I will always like to see them in an arena as opposed to outside.

As for the intermission the concert I saw was only 15 minutes, I'm not sure why they waited 25. For me I love the new songs as I have heard all the old stuff lots of times before and I like seeing a new show.
Yeah, I'm not exaggerating about the 25 minutes. It was between 25 and 30 minutes. But the average age of the crowd was in their mid 40's (my age), so they were cool about it.

Chris
Old 07-24-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,179 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Yeah, I'm not exaggerating about the 25 minutes. It was between 25 and 30 minutes. But the average age of the crowd was in their mid 40's (my age), so they were cool about it.

Chris

I was there too. Just remember that RUSH has been doing long shows, with no opening band, and an intermission for several years now. I prefere that to the lame 70 to 90 mintues show that most acts due to today. Especially at the high RUSH tix prices....

My buddy predicted show would NOT start at 7:30 and I'll be damned if he wasn't right. I call him a pro-concert goer since he hit some 70 or 80 shows a year.

Also, people are so fathful to RUSH's old stuff that as the years have gone by I've noticed that unless the new songs is absolutely killler the crowd seems to just be 'ok" with them. I watched the crowd around me and it seemed like they either didn't know the new songs, kinda liked teh new songs, or just didn't care. I would say that this kinda slowed the show down a bit especially with the new stuff being more soft rockish. I have a feeling as tiem goes by the new stuff will grown on some but who knows.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-24-07 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-24-07, 03:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Seeing them tomorrow in Irvine, can't wait.
Old 07-24-07, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
My friend Robert, who is also a drummer, will be in the first couple of rows. I don't think he's missed a show in the last 10 to 15 years. He's got a picture of him and his wife backstage with Geddy & Alex hanging on his wall in his office.

Chris
Old 07-24-07, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I was there too. Just remember that RUSH has been doing long shows, with no opening band, and an intermission for several years now. I prefere that to the lame 70 to 90 mintues show that most acts due to today. Especially at the high RUSH tix prices....

My buddy predicted show would NOT start at 7:30 and I'll be damned if he wasn't right. I call him a pro-concert goer since he hit some 70 or 80 shows a year.

Also, people are so fathful to RUSH's old stuff that as the years have gone by I've noticed that unless the new songs is absolutely killler the crowd seems to just be 'ok" with them. I watched the crowd around me and it seemed like they either didn't know the new songs, kinda liked teh new songs, or just didn't care. I would say that this kinda slowed the show down a bit especially with the new stuff being more soft rockish. I have a feeling as tiem goes by the new stuff will grown on some but who knows.
Hey, I saw you there!

You were the only black guy there!

Chris
Old 07-24-07, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 160 Posts
If they are going to do an intermission, why not play one of their old live performances, maybe Exit...Stage Left? At least kept the crowd interested in what is going on.
When they first started doing these "Evening with Rush" shows on the Test for Echo tour, it was stated somewhere that during intermission they would be playing short films, animation, etc.

Never happened.

I don't mind the format or the break at all. The first hour is almost like an opening act, and gives them a chance to loosen up, play a few oddball things, and enjoy themselves. The second part starts just as it gets dark and that's when they really put the pedal to the metal. I will agree that this would work even better in an indoor venue, but I really don't like the summer sheds at all, so I'm just biased towards arenas in the first place

And then to come back and play 5 songs from their new album really didn't get the crowd into it. They politely clapped and cheered after those songs.
I was a little disappointed with this too, but at least it shows that they don't see themselves as a nostalga act, and there was nothing that left a person thinking that this was any kind of "farewell" tour. They often played most of the new album on tour in the past, and they've stated in interviews that they're really excited about the new material. My problem was that I didn't know the material, as I was waiting for the MVI release (a mistake), which didn't come out until the day after the show.
Old 07-25-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

See you there.
Old 07-25-07, 04:32 PM
Banned by request

Just a few hours now.
Old 07-25-07, 11:47 PM
Banned by request

I'm at the show now. The performances are great, but what is with these videos? They're either abstract to the point of meaninglessness, or really bad attempts at humor. Other than that (and the 5 assholes in front of me who won't shut up), this show rocks.
Old 07-26-07, 12:06 AM

I'm at the show now. The performances are great, but what is with these videos? They're either abstract to the point of meaninglessness, or really bad attempts at humor. Other than that (and the 5 assholes in front of me who won't shut up), this show rocks.
Two of my friends from work are in the orchestra section right now. One of them went with me to the Hollywood Bowl show on Monday night.

I probably could have gone again tonight, because my friend had 4 tickets that he got from the band and he needed 3 other people to go with him. But, I was still too tired from the other night.

Regarding the videos, I was pissed that right after the intermission they played their 5 new songs and instead of showing closeups of the band performing, they showed the videos that you are speaking of. It was a total waste of time and one of the reasons why I was pissed off until Subdivisions was played.

Chris
Old 07-26-07, 03:29 AM
Banned by request

The only video I liked was the South Park clip.

As for the show itself, I only enjoyed one of the new songs. I'll admit I didn't give the album more than two listens, but live they just dragged. And I understand Rush doesn't want to be a nostalgia act, but they did at least 8 new songs, if not more. And we didn't get anything from A Farewell To Kings, which I would have killed for. I was glad they did Circumstances, wish we could have had more from Hemispheres. I also really wanted to hear Vital Signs.

That out of the way, there were some awesome parts to the show. Natural Science was one of the best live performances I've seen in a while. Neil's drum solo was incredible and the only other time the video worked. I also loved Summertime Blues, although I had The Who version in my head. Overall, I had a really good time.
Old 07-26-07, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Huh? Which videos did you hate? The in between bits or the videos that went with the songs. Either way the Videos have been a part of RUSH shows 4-ever and they've always been kinda goofy/fun(in between) or a good fit as a visual during the songs. Did you ever see the one(s) with Jerry Stiller from a few years ago? "Bangkok! They never play Bangkok!" I know it doesn't seem like it but the guys in RUSH have a sense of humor.

I was just telling my concert-buddy that new RUSH stuff always takes time with some fans. I swear, sometimes it seems like people only come to RUSH shows to hear Tom Sawyer, Spirit of Radio, Trees, and Closer to the Heart.

...oh well, to each their own.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-26-07 at 04:04 AM.
Old 07-26-07, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Spoiler:
At a recent show, they apparantly played Distant Early Warning instead of Summertime Blues. Thank God.
Yeah they always have an "A" and "B" show where they switch out 1 or 2 songs I'm guessing it's to keep the show from being the same thing every night for the guys in the band. You wouldn't know the switch unless you saw 2 shows back to back or saw the 2 set lists.

For instance:

Monday's show in LA they played
Spoiler:
Distant Early Warning
I happen love that song but again, to each their own.

Then on Wednesday's Orange County/LA show switched the above songs with
Spoiler:
Summertime Blues

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-26-07 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-26-07, 05:17 AM
Banned by request

I was just telling my concert-buddy that new RUSH stuff always takes time with some fans. I swear, sometimes it seems like people only come to RUSH shows to hear Tom Sawyer, Spirit of Radio, Trees, and Closer to the Heart.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I would be fine to see a show without any of those songs you mentioned, if they played Cygnus X-1 Book 2, Xanadu, Vital Signs, etc. Even some of the more progressive style stuff from Counterparts would have been cool. It's not just about the hits, I just think Snakes and Arrows is a fairly lackluster album, so to hear so much stuff from it wasn't all that enjoyable. The rest of the show was great, and The Real Monkey Business felt right at home with their more well known material, but it just went on too long.

Edit: Although I love Distant Early Warning, I really dug Summertime Blues. It was a nice surprise.

Last edited by Supermallet; 07-26-07 at 05:22 AM.
Old 07-26-07, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts
I think Snakes And Arrows is their best release since Power Windows, so the more the better for me, but it is much more new stuff than they usually do, that is for sure.

Please tell me they are not still playing the Zarathustra/Nut-Bolt video.
Old 07-26-07, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw them on their last tour and I loved it, it was the first time I had seen them since Roll the Bones (Primus opened). I thought it was a great show and I love the extra long set. I'm pissed I didn't get to see them this time around but I will definitely see them again.

I dig the new albums and I'm glad they play stuff from them. Iron Maiden does the same thing, which prevents the bands from becoming a nostalgia act, as someone pointed out above. Good stuff.
Old 07-26-07, 10:34 AM

That's why, thank God, we have the Exit...Stage Left DVD to watch over and over again.

I really wish they had that whole concert on video, but it seems the only video that survived of that 1981 tour is the video that we have.

Chris
Old 07-26-07, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as I know, all creative groups want to play their most recent material when a new album is out, so while it's unfortunate that they don't play as many hits as people would like, you got to respect a band that's still ways from becoming a nostalgia act.
Old 07-26-07, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jdodd
I dig the new albums and I'm glad they play stuff from them. Iron Maiden does the same thing, which prevents the bands from becoming a nostalgia act, as someone pointed out above. Good stuff.
But if they had paid attention to the last Iron Maiden tour, they would have noticed the rather large backlash against the band for playing the entire new album, in order, on their last tour. And since Maiden do traditional tours with an opening act, that left little time for older material.

I think they should drop 2 songs from the new album, and switch back and forth between new and old songs more. There a a LOT of old songs they never play anymore. While they pulled out a few genuine surprises this time around. if they played more of these rarities, people wouldn't mind either the new stuff or the lack of "classics."
Old 07-26-07, 05:48 PM

In 10 years I would think most people will still prefer pre 1986 Rush songs. To me, very few of their songs after that were very memorable. I could be in the minority.

But judging from the crowd reactions last Monday night, people still prefer their 70's & 1st half of the 80's songs much more than anything after that.

Chris
Old 07-26-07, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In 10 years I would think most people will still prefer pre 1986 Rush songs. To me, very few of their songs after that were very memorable. I could be in the minority.

But judging from the crowd reactions last Monday night, people still prefer their 70's & 1st half of the 80's songs much more than anything after that.

Chris
If Rush are still touring in 10 years, I don't think anything from Snakes and Arrows will be on the playlist. Many songs from Rush through Moving Pictures will be though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.