Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Upcoming Rush album and tour thread

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Upcoming Rush album and tour thread

Old 04-24-07, 02:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
KLOS is almost country? What? I listen to KLOS daily at work and it's all classic rock. Just this week I've heard Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, Vital Signs, Closer To The Heart, and Subdivisions. They've also been giving away Rush tickets. But even normally they play a decent amount of Rush. Obviously they play more Rolling Stones and Tom Petty and such, but I wouldn't say Rush is underrepresented on that particular station.
Old 04-24-07, 02:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really only listen to two stations in Pittsburgh, one of them is a mix of classic rock and more current stuff and the other is one of those new "all format" stations. Between the two of them I hear the following songs at LEAST once a week:

Working Man
Fly by Night
Closer To the Heart
The Spirit of Radio
Freewill
Limelight
Tom Sawyer

And I'm probably forgetting a couple. For never having owned a Rush album in my life, I could kareoke every single one of these songs and not miss a single word. They're hardly underplayed on the radio.
Old 04-24-07, 03:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
You aren't aware that there are several Rush songs that are played heavily on classic rock stations?
Sorry, I was thinking back to the early 80's (long before classic rock stations) and you rarely heard them on the radio. That's why their success is so amazing. But I guess it's because they are one of the best live bands of all time and word of mouth helped them to sell at least 36M albums worldwide.

Chris
Old 04-24-07, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Here in LA we have no "real" rock stations. KLOS is almost country and KROQ plays pop/Top 40 rock and that's it. KLOS will play a new RUSH song a couple times a week for a few months around the release then they'll go back to only playing "Closer to the Heart" and that's about it.

God I miss KNAC on the radio.

Anyway, I have noticed while reading Radio trade mags that list playslists from other parts of the country that RUSH and other "never played on LA Radio" bands get a lot more airtime.
I actually have heard a couple of Rush songs on Jack93 FM when I listen to that station.

But I'm pretty much 100% KROQ and have been since 1981. Though from 1986 to the late 80's I used to listen to Power 106 when they were dance and before they became Hip Hop.

Chris
Old 04-24-07, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
KLOS is almost country? What? I listen to KLOS daily at work and it's all classic rock. Just this week I've heard Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, Vital Signs, Closer To The Heart, and Subdivisions. They've also been giving away Rush tickets. But even normally they play a decent amount of Rush. Obviously they play more Rolling Stones and Tom Petty and such, but I wouldn't say Rush is underrepresented on that particular station.
I actually haven't listened to KLOS & KMET since the early 80's. They played too much mainstream rock for my tastes.

I was more into the progressive bands like Rush, Genesis, Queen, ELP, Yes, etc. (being the drummer that I am)

Chris
Old 04-24-07, 06:23 PM
Banned by request

All amazing bands. Speaking of drumming, what happened to Phil Collins? His drumming took such a nosedive when he went mainstream. It's such a shame, because his drumming on Foxtrot through Wind and Wuthering was amazing.
Old 04-24-07, 06:43 PM

All amazing bands. Speaking of drumming, what happened to Phil Collins? His drumming took such a nosedive when he went mainstream. It's such a shame, because his drumming on Foxtrot through Wind and Wuthering was amazing.
What happened is he became more of a lead singer than a drummer. I downloaded an early performance of Genesis from the 1970's and I never realized that he sang a lot of backup to Peter Gabriel.

And I read somewhere (here?) that Peter Gabriel said that early Phil Collins sounded more like Peter Gabriel than Peter Gabriel did.

Chris
Old 04-24-07, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks like the album was released a week early, check out your local stores. This is unoffical but it looks like some stores started selling it today.

Here is a link to thealbum artwork

Last edited by Lateralus; 04-24-07 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-25-07, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,202 Posts

Sure, because RUSH has a new CD and tour to pimp. Like I said, that will fall off in 6 to 12 months.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-25-07 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-25-07, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
They're hardly underplayed on the radio.
Like i said, in other parts of the country they get more play.
Old 04-25-07, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
I actually have heard a couple of Rush songs on Jack93 FM when I listen to that station.

Chris
Oh stop. You imagined that.

j/k Jack FM does throw bones out every once and a while. I still say RUSH could be played more in LA. So there. Sue me.
Old 04-25-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've heard the whole thing and must say that I was rather disappointed with the majority of it. And I'm a pretty big Rush fan. Far Cry is probably the heaviest song on it.

I need to listen to it again though, but that's my initial reaction to it.
Old 04-25-07, 01:12 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Sure, because RUSH has a new CD and tour to pimp. Liked I said, that will fall off in 6 to 12 months.
I hear Rush on KLOS all the time, even without the new CD.
Old 04-25-07, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I've heard the whole thing and must say that I was rather disappointed with the majority of it. And I'm a pretty big Rush fan. Far Cry is probably the heaviest song on it.

I need to listen to it again though, but that's my initial reaction to it.

It is much more mellow than I expected but the musicianship is far and above that of any of their albums for a long long time. The songs while they start slow I've really gotten to like a number of them, and I expect I will like them more and more with each listen.
Old 04-25-07, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I hear Rush on KLOS all the time, even without the new CD.
Ok, fine. I'll trust your comment. I stopped listening to them years ago because they never played what i wanted to hear. Back in those days I hardly ever heard RUSH.
Old 04-25-07, 11:51 PM
Banned by request

I listen to it at work to drown out the godawful canned TV content they make us play.
Old 04-27-07, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 818 Likes on 589 Posts
My bestfriend recently bought one of these. Neil's commemorative kit from R30. Only 30 made. It sits in his bedroom. I told him we'll have to recreate the platform for it someday. It's amazing to stand in front of it in awe and intimidating to sit behind it.

Oh, and I do hear KLOS playing Far Cry regularly. Maybe not as regularly as KROQ and the new Lincoln Park song, but they do play it. The problem is that most times, they have a set list of RUSH songs (mainly from Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures), but once in a while something from Signals, Power Windows or Grace Under Pressure will pop up on 2ferTuesdays or weekend blocks.

Last edited by devilshalo; 04-27-07 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-29-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw the CD today at my local new/used record store. Its a friggin' digi-pak!
Old 04-30-07, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 165 Posts
Is the special edition coming out tomorrow, or just the single disc version?

Oh, and I scored 10th row for Pittsburgh from Stub Hub. I hate paying the scalper tax, but since they only come around every 3-4 years (if we're lucky) and with these guys getting older, every tour may be the last, it was worth it. Ironically, I'm in the same row and section I was last time, when I got the tickets for $50!
Old 04-30-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
My bestfriend recently bought one of these. Neil's commemorative kit from R30. Only 30 made. It sits in his bedroom. I told him we'll have to recreate the platform for it someday. It's amazing to stand in front of it in awe and intimidating to sit behind it.

Oh, and I do hear KLOS playing Far Cry regularly. Maybe not as regularly as KROQ and the new Lincoln Park song, but they do play it. The problem is that most times, they have a set list of RUSH songs (mainly from Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures), but once in a while something from Signals, Power Windows or Grace Under Pressure will pop up on 2ferTuesdays or weekend blocks.
I'm not a drummer, but that's a damned impressive kit. Does he actually play it or is it just for the collectibility factor?
Old 05-01-07, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jason
Is the special edition coming out tomorrow, or just the single disc version?

Oh, and I scored 10th row for Pittsburgh from Stub Hub. I hate paying the scalper tax, but since they only come around every 3-4 years (if we're lucky) and with these guys getting older, every tour may be the last, it was worth it. Ironically, I'm in the same row and section I was last time, when I got the tickets for $50!
The single disk version comes out today and the DVD version comes out June 5th.... and it looks like I'm getting both!
Old 05-01-07, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 818 Likes on 589 Posts
Originally Posted by Jippy
I'm not a drummer, but that's a damned impressive kit. Does he actually play it or is it just for the collectibility factor?
He plays on it, just not very frequently, he has his other kit set up in another room, plus he has his v-drum kit, too. Not sure if he was going to incorporate the v-drum kit as part of the R30 one.
Old 05-01-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
$30,000??? Shit.
Old 05-01-07, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Lateralus
The single disk version comes out today and the DVD version comes out June 5th.... and it looks like I'm getting both!
I hate to wait a month, but I'm not double dipping.
Old 05-02-07, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I picked it up tonight and I agree it has a more mellow tone than Vapor Trails. I would also add that this cd is seems very "soulful". Has anyone seen a Tour Playlist yet? I wonder how much of this CD they'll play live?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.