Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Upcoming Rush album and tour thread

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Upcoming Rush album and tour thread

Old 07-26-07, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,179 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
In 10 years I would think most people will still prefer pre 1986 Rush songs. To me, very few of their songs after that were very memorable. I could be in the minority.

But judging from the crowd reactions last Monday night, people still prefer their 70's & 1st half of the 80's songs much more than anything after that.

Chris

Dude, right now most of the fans prefer pre-1982 Rush, especially the ones over 40. If there aren't MOOG synth parts and lyrics about god knows what, then they can't deal with it. You see them sitting on their asses until "Tom Saywer" plays....again. The sad part is the older fans tend to have more money so they drop a couple hundred dollars on the "good seats" for RUSH and when they go, they ONLY want old shit. I wish they would just stay home and buy the show dvds.

Sadly, the ones who love both old and new RUSH are in the minority. I'll remember Snakes and Arrows in 10 years just like I remember Hold Your Fire, Presto, and other albums that people usually piss on. I can tell you that one day afer seeing the new songs performed live I love them even more. I had a new appreciation while I listened to the cd on the way to work.

I guess I'm flying my "Fanboy" flag.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-26-07 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-26-07, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Dude, right now most of the fans prefer pre-1982 Rush, especially the ones over 40. The sad part is the older fans tend to have more money so they drop a couple hundred dollars on the "good seats" for RUSH and when they go, they ONLY want old shit. I wish they would just stay home and buy the show dvds.
Okay, I will

Chris
Old 07-26-07, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Okay, I will

Chris

I'm sorry! I know I was being bitchy but it wasn't really directed at dvdtalkers believe it or not.
Old 07-27-07, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I'm sorry! I know I was being bitchy but it wasn't really directed at dvdtalkers believe it or not.
I was just kidding.

I know I probably won't see them live again. And I'm not a person who lives in the past when it comes to music, but their earlier music is just so much better, unique and ground breaking, that anything in the last 20 years can't match it (in my opinion).

And I feel that way about every other group that is in my Top 20 favorite, except for my # 1 favorite, The Beatles (of course). The Beatles only had about 10 weak songs in the 300+ that they put out (most of them were George's drug induced songs).

Chris
Old 07-27-07, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got my tickets today, gonna go on monday here in san diego.. tickets wern't bad $75 for two tickets.. not the best seats but I really don't mind.. i'm looking forward to the show.. i like the new album.. this will be my second time seeing them, i think i'll pop in my rush in rio dvd to get ready for the show.
Old 07-29-07, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by sergtv
got my tickets today, gonna go on monday here in san diego.. tickets wern't bad $75 for two tickets.. not the best seats but I really don't mind.. i'm looking forward to the show.. i like the new album.. this will be my second time seeing them, i think i'll pop in my rush in rio dvd to get ready for the show.

Is that at Coors Amp? I saw them there a few years ago. I wouldn't mind seeing them a 3rd time but I don't feel like driving to San Diego.
Old 07-29-07, 12:28 PM

yup its going to be at the coors amp.. tickets were $28.50, i guess i got charged more cause i used my credit card.. I missed them the last time they came down.. I didn't want to miss them this time.. and coors is just a few minutes away from my house.. can't wait!
Old 07-31-07, 09:52 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'm really looking forward to seeing 'em on September 22nd, in Toronto. It'll be my second time seeing them and, back in 2003 when I first saw them, they were great. I have the album, but I've only listened to a couple of songs.
Old 08-19-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Here is an update on the DVD album:

LIMITED EDITION DVD-ALBUM PACKAGE

* With a higher storage capacity than a standard CD, the DVD Album is loaded with exciting new features. Superior sound quality plus a wide range of video features and interactive digital content combine to bring you closer to the artists and their music. It plays in all standard DVD players, computers and game consoles with DVD drives. Digital music files are compatible with all MP3 devices.
* The Rush "SNAKES & ARROWS" DVD-album comes in a deluxe box, and includes these 13 new songs in hi-resolution audio, the entire album in 5.1 surround sound, a video documentary on the making of the album, and more.
so how does the album sound in hi-rez? any reviews please?
Old 08-19-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
so how does the album sound in hi-rez? any reviews please?

The DD 5.1 kicks butt, it sounds like a whole new album, I hear guitars that I never heard in the regular CD, heck the 45 minute behind the scenes video is worth the extra money. It is just pretty amazing how you can watch them screwing around in the studio, and how the producer records them and they make a song out of it.
Old 08-20-07, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The DD 5.1 kicks butt, it sounds like a whole new album, I hear guitars that I never heard in the regular CD, heck the 45 minute behind the scenes video is worth the extra money. It is just pretty amazing how you can watch them screwing around in the studio, and how the producer records them and they make a song out of it.
thank you
Old 10-22-07, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not sure if anybody heard but one of the shows on their European tour was taped for a new live DVD!

Anybody think it is overkill? I was really hoping they were going to make another DVD as this tour was so much different than the last two. I know Rush in Rio went at least triple platinum but I'm not sure about R30.
Old 10-22-07, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 160 Posts
Not sure if anybody heard but one of the shows on their European tour was taped for a new live DVD!

Anybody think it is overkill? I was really hoping they were going to make another DVD as this tour was so much different than the last two. I know Rush in Rio went at least triple platinum but I'm not sure about R30.
Why Europe? Why not Canada?

As for being overkill, I imagine we're going to see a live CD and DVD from every tour for major artists from now on. Too easy to produce and too much money to be made.
Old 10-22-07, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Actually, two of their shows were filmed to be edited into one feature.

It is only overkill if no one wants it. There are plenty of Rush fans who would love to have an official document of this tour, especially since it is very different from the previous "greatest hits + Feedback + Roll the Bones" tour. (Seriously, who likes Roll the Bones, anyway? Force Ten, Animate, Subdivisions, and Red Barchetta redeemed the show for me.)

If R30 did not sell as well as its predecessor, that might be because Ai) word got out about the omissions that the band erroneously believed no one would miss, Aii) despite the omissions, there still existed plenty of overlap between the setlists of R30 and RiR, and B) Rush in Rio featured the triumphant return of Rush from oblivion. R30 was a tour in support of an EP of cover songs. I don't know about anyone else, but Feedback was not a concept I found exciting or desirable.
Old 01-19-08, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

2008 Rush tour dates:

APRIL 2008

11: San Juan, PR - Coliseo de Puerto Rico
13: Ft Lauderdale, FL - Bank Atlantic Center
15: Orlando, FL - Amway Center
17: Jacksonville, FL - Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena
19: New Orleans, LA - Arena
20: Houston, TX - Woodlands Pavilion
23: Austin, TX - Frank Erwin Center
25: Dallas, TX - The Music Center at Fair Park
26: Oklahoma City, OK - Ford Center
29: Albuquerque, NM - Journal Pavilion

May 2008

1: Phoenix, AZ - Cricket Pavilion
3: Reno, NV - Reno Events Center
4: Concord, CA - Sleep Train Pavilion
6: Los Angeles, CA - Nokia Theatre
10: Las Vegas, NV - Mandalay Bay Events Center
11: Irvine, CA - Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
20: Moline, IL - iWireless Center
22: St Paul, MN - Xcel Energy Center
24: Winnipeg, MB - MTS Center
25: Regina, SK - Brandt Center
27: Edmonton AB - Rexall Place
29: Vancouver, BC - GM Place
31: Seattle, WA - The Gorge Amphitheatre

JUNE 2008

1: Portland, OR - Clark County Amphitheatre
3: Boise, ID - Idaho Center
5: Denver, CO - Red Rocks
7: Kansas City, MO - Starlight Theatre
9: Chicago, IL - United Center
10: Detroit, MI - Joe Louis Arena
12: Montreal, QC - Bell Center
14: Philadelphia, PA - Wachovia Center
15: Boston, MA - Tweeter Center
25: Indianapolis, IN - Verizon Amphitheatre
27: Milwaukee, WI - Summerfest
28: St Louis, MO - Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
30: Cincinnati, OH - Riverbend Music Center

JULY 2008

2: Pittsburgh, PA - Post Gazette Amphitheatre
4: Atlantic City, NJ - Marc Etess Arena
5: Saratoga, NY - SPAC
7: Uncasville, CT - Mohegan Sun
9: Toronto, ON - The Molson Amphitheatre
11: Manchester, NH - Verizon Arena
12: Holmdel, NJ - PNC Bank Arts Center
14: Wantagh, NY - Jones Beach
17: Hershey, PA - Hershey Stadium
19: Washington, DC - Nissan Pavilion
20: Charlotte, NC - Amphitheatre
22: Atlanta, GA - Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park

I might go to two dates, Philly and Hershey
Old 01-19-08, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Whoa Lateralus! What's this? More tour dates? I went to 2 RUSH shows in 2007 and I guess I'm going to 2 more in 2008

Also from rush.com

RUSH TOUR 2008 - Dates, cities and venues confirmed

TORONTO, ON – January 18, 2008:

After a hugely successful 2007 tour, the fans have spoken and they want more. Rush officially announce dates for their extended 2008 Snakes & Arrows World Tour. The tour will kick off with their first ever appearance in San Juan, Puerto Rico April 11 and hit over 45 cities throughout the United States and Canada. For Rush fans this will be the first time in over a decade the band will make stops in Orlando, Oklahoma City, New Orleans, Reno, Moline, Boise, Austin, Jacksonville and Winnipeg to name a few. Also for the first time in years the band will play Albuquerque, Edmonton, Vancouver, Hershey and Manchester.

The 2008 tour dates and venues are listed below. Tickets for New Orleans, Reno, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Denver and Detroit go on sale SATURDAY JANUARY 26.
American Express Cardmembers will also have the opportunity to purchase advance tickets January 26th through February 1st for Rush performances in Boston; Chicago, Ft. Lauderdale, Holmdel, Wantagh and January 27th through February 2nd in Los Angeles and Irvine. In addition there will be a MUSICTODAY fan club presale for all Rush performances in conjunction with RUSH.COM starting January 22 through January 24.

A SNAKES AND ARROWS LIVE CD will be released sometime in April. Details are forthcoming. In addition, the track "Malignant Narcissism" from the band’s 2007 release “SNAKES & ARROWS” (Anthem/Atlantic) has been nominated for a Grammy Award in the category Best Rock Instrumental Performance.

Fans will experience the technical virtuosity and hard-rocking compositions they have come to expect from Rush members, Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart. In addition the band will update their set list for the 2008 tour.

The Rush tour in North America is produced by Live Nation Global Touring and SRO/Anthem.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-19-08 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-19-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
Maybe this time I can get tickets for Houston.
Old 01-19-08, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Holy Shit I'm going to be in Oklahoma City when they are there! How fucking cool is that!?!
Old 01-19-08, 11:34 AM

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Going to really try to get tix to Phoenix this time, seeing that they aren't playing in the middle of fucking summer outdoors again.
Old 01-19-08, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by SFranke
If R30 did not sell as well as its predecessor, that might be because Ai) word got out about the omissions that the band erroneously believed no one would miss, Aii) despite the omissions, there still existed plenty of overlap between the setlists of R30 and RiR, and B) Rush in Rio featured the triumphant return of Rush from oblivion. R30 was a tour in support of an EP of cover songs. I don't know about anyone else, but Feedback was not a concept I found exciting or desirable.
I thought the setlist for the S&A tour was overkill. Yes, it's a good album, but playing 9 songs out of a 27 song setlist (especially doing five of them in a row) was simply too much. Just dropping one and scattering them more throughout the show would have helped a great deal.

Of course, it was nice to see them not falling into the nostalgia act routine, but they have such a rich catalog that there are other things to play than new songs and Closer to the Heart.

As for feedback, I liked it as an EP, but really didn't need to hear any of those songs live. I did like the accoustic Heart Full of Soul after the drum solo though.
Old 01-19-08, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts
I thought the setlist for the S&A tour was the best of any Rush show I have seen. Doesn't hurt that I think the album is their best since Power Windows. Plus more deep cuts than they usually play. That said, I hope they change it up quite a bit for the shows this year or I will not go to see basically the same show I saw last year.
Old 01-19-08, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I thought the setlist for the S&A tour was the best of any Rush show I have seen. Doesn't hurt that I think the album is their best since Power Windows. Plus more deep cuts than they usually play. That said, I hope they change it up quite a bit for the shows this year or I will not go to see basically the same show I saw last year.
They said they were going to change the setlist but I am unsure of how many songs they are going to change.
Old 01-19-08, 06:30 PM

Rush has performed the following during soundchecks on the first leg
Spoiler:
Distant Early Warning, Here Again, The Analog Kid and Cinderella Man
, so they may be in the new setlist. Also,
Spoiler:
Spindrift
has been rumored to be omitted on the next leg. I didn't think it went over well live, even though I love the studio version.

As for the emphasis on S&A, I found it enjoyable. The only song I wish they hadn't played was Summertime Blues.
Old 01-19-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts
They said they were going to change the setlist but I am unsure of how many songs they are going to change.
I think they have made similar promises in the past and they didn't really happen, so I always am wary of stuff like that coming from Rush.
Old 01-21-08, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome. Hershey and Nissan Pavilion here I come.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.