Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Silverchair - "Young Modern"

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Silverchair - "Young Modern"

Old 04-09-07, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Making history

Looks like Silverchair is making history.

on SILVERCHAIR's MySpace page:

" Silverchair made music history today with the chart topping debut of their new release Young Modern. They have become the first Australian band to ever have five #1 albums.

This eclipses the achievements of Cold Chisel and Midnight Oil who each enjoyed four Australian #1's over the course of their extraordinary careers. A number of other legendary Aussie bands have had three #1's including INXS, Crowded House, Powderfinger and AC/DC.

It's also Silverchair's fifth consecutive #1 debut – a feat that's obviously also unmatched by any other group.

In more good chart news, their single "Straight Lines" remained at #1 on the national singles chart for the fourth consecutive week. Both releases have already been certified platinum.

"We're overwhelmed by the reaction we've had to Young Modern", said Silverchair's singer/guitarist/songwriter Daniel Johns. "It's been a long time since we've released a new album and we put a lot of time into making this one so we're really grateful that it's getting embraced in such a big way. Ben and Chris and I would like to thank everyone who's helped make it all happen."

In addition to its commercial success, Young Modern, has also been warmly received by the critics with a raft of four and five star reviews around the country. Rolling Stone Magazine called it "a towering triumph", Drum Media said it's "a melodic powerhouse" and the Sunday Herald-Sun described it as "Silverchair's Masterpiece".

Tickets for Silverchair's Young Modern Tour sold out in a heartbeat last week although some tickets do remain for the band's appearance at a festival in Maitland NSW on May 12th."
Sounds good. Can't wait to pick it up... in July.
Old 04-09-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Looks like Silverchair is making history.

on SILVERCHAIR's MySpace page:

Sounds good. Can't wait to pick it up... in July.
why must we wait so long!!!!! damn you silverchair!!!
Old 04-10-07, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
I can import this for about $13. Or do you guys think I should just wait for the American release, that might or might not have a couple bonus-tracks?
Old 04-10-07, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
I can import this for about $13. Or do you guys think I should just wait for the American release, that might or might not have a couple bonus-tracks?
i'd get it for 13, where can you do that?
Old 04-10-07, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by slop101
If anything the non-American releases are the ones with the bonus tracks. I second the "where can you get it for $13" sentiment.
Old 04-10-07, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yep. I'm in for $13 as well.
Old 04-10-07, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Me too. Everywhere I've tried it's around 25 bones after shipping.
Old 04-10-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
I have family in London that will buy it and mail it to me if I ask (I guess Australian imports are more readily available there).

There's also a couple marketplace sellers on amazon.UK that have it for around 8 or 9 "pounds", but I guess after shipping and conversion, that comes out close to $20.
Old 04-10-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Cool. Oh well. I guess July it is.

It's about $25 on Amazon if anyone is that big of a fan. I can wait.
Old 04-10-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've heard it. I'm not a huge Silverchair fan, but I've always sort of liked them. I find this album virtually unlistenable. Starts out okay, but ... not good.
Old 05-30-07, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 211 Likes on 184 Posts
from email:

SILVERCHAIR SIGN WITH WARNER MUSIC GROUP'S INDEPENDENT LABEL GROUP (ILG)

Silverchair have signed with Warner Music Group’s Independent Label Group to release their fifth studio album, Young Modern, in North America on July 24th 2007. The album will come out on Eleven: a music company, in association with Warner Music Group.

The band is already confirmed for a mainstage appearance on Lollapalooza on Saturday August 3rd in Chicago but they also have plans for a full North American tour this July and August. Dates will be announced shortly. While they played a handful of acclaimed, sold out shows in New York, LA and Toronto earlier this year, the forthcoming dates will be their first full tour of the U.S. and Canada since 1999.

Young Modern is the fastest seller of Silverchair's career having been certified double platinum in less than a month.

We'll be in touch soon with the full North American tour schedule.

Cheers,
chairpage.com
Old 05-30-07, 09:01 PM

It's a good album, but for me I'm not sure about repeat playability. Although that might be because "Straight Lines" has just been played to DEATH on Australian radio and I've been hearing it everywhere and am heartily sick of it already!
Old 05-30-07, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
If anything the non-American releases are the ones with the bonus tracks. I second the "where can you get it for $13" sentiment.
That may not be true because the band is from Australia. A lot of times when the bands we like from Europe release their own records over there first, the USA has the bonus tracks so those Europeans will spend the extra cash to buy the imports.

I think the USA version of Young Modern will likely have tracks the Aussie version does not.
Old 05-31-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, didn't Daniel write like 50 songs for this or something like that?
Old 05-31-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Yeah, didn't Daniel write like 50 songs for this or something like that?
that's nothing. I just read in Blender Linkin Park wrote 150 for their latest. Doesn't mean they were all recorded though.. in either case.
Old 06-06-07, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

part of Email:

SILVERCHAIR ANNOUNCE NORTH AMERICAN DATES OF 'YOUNG MODERN' WORLD TOUR

Silverchair has announced their first full North American tour since 1999. The dates will be in support of the band's new album Young Modern which will street on July 24 in the US and Canada on Eleven: a music company through Warner Music Group's Independent Label Group.

Dates for the North American leg of the Young Modern world tour will be as follows:

Friday, 13th July - San Diego, CA - House of Blues Tickets on sale June 8th
Saturday 14th July - Los Angeles, CA - The Wiltern Tickets on sale June 9th
Sunday, 15th July - Anaheim, CA - House of Blues Tickets on sale June 8th
Tuesday, 17th July - San Francisco, CA - The Independent Tickets on sale June 10th
Thursday, 19th July - Portland, OR - Aladdin Theatre Tickets on sale June 8th
Friday, 20th July - Seattle, WA – Showbox Tickets on sale June 8th
Saturday, 21st July - Vancouver, BC - Commodore Ballroom Tickets on sale June 15th
Monday, 23rd July - Atlanta, GA - Roxy Theatre Tickets on sale June 16th
Tuesday 24th July - Washington, DC - 9:30 Club Tickets on sale June 14th
Friday, 27th July - New York, NY - Roseland Ballroom Tickets on sale June 15th
Saturday, 28th July - Philadelphia, PA - Fillmore at the TLA Tickets on sale June 15th
Monday, 30th July - Montreal, QC - Le Spectrum Tickets on sale June 7th
Wednesday, 1st August - Toronto, ON - Phoenix Tickets on sale June 14th
Saturday, 4th August - Chicago, IL – Lollapalooza Tickets on sale NOW
Sunday, 5th August - Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue Tickets on sale June 16th

Please see www.chairpage.com/tours for more information and ticket purchase links.

In addition to their own headline tour Silverchair will also make a mainstage appearance at the 30,000-capacity Lollapalooza Festival in Chicago on 4th August alongside Arcade Fire, Bright Eyes and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.

chairpage.com
Old 06-07-07, 12:55 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Wow; I'm really glad that I checked this section of the forum today. I wasn't aware that Silverchair were touring again. I really need to get tickets for the Toronto show on the 14th. I'll go for sure.

Silverchair are one of my favourite bands. Their music is incredible from Frogstomp to Young Modern. I've seen them twice now (once in 2003 when they toured a bit for Diorama and again a few months ago, when they came back to Toronto and played two shows.) They're an incredible live band and their music is always innovative and of great quality.

I'll admit that I downloaded a leak of Young Modern back in April, but I will be buying the album for sure, when it's released in North America. I've listened to it a few times and I love it. It's an incredible album and I can't wait to get the actual release/see them live again.
Old 06-07-07, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
part of Email:

SILVERCHAIR ANNOUNCE NORTH AMERICAN DATES OF 'YOUNG MODERN' WORLD TOUR

Silverchair has announced their first full North American tour since 1999. The dates will be in support of the band's new album Young Modern which will street on July 24 in the US and Canada on Eleven: a music company through Warner Music Group's Independent Label Group.

Dates for the North American leg of the Young Modern world tour will be as follows:

Friday, 13th July - San Diego, CA - House of Blues Tickets on sale June 8th
Saturday 14th July - Los Angeles, CA - The Wiltern Tickets on sale June 9th
Sunday, 15th July - Anaheim, CA - House of Blues Tickets on sale June 8th
Tuesday, 17th July - San Francisco, CA - The Independent Tickets on sale June 10th
Thursday, 19th July - Portland, OR - Aladdin Theatre Tickets on sale June 8th
Friday, 20th July - Seattle, WA – Showbox Tickets on sale June 8th
Saturday, 21st July - Vancouver, BC - Commodore Ballroom Tickets on sale June 15th
Monday, 23rd July - Atlanta, GA - Roxy Theatre Tickets on sale June 16th
Tuesday 24th July - Washington, DC - 9:30 Club Tickets on sale June 14th
Friday, 27th July - New York, NY - Roseland Ballroom Tickets on sale June 15th
Saturday, 28th July - Philadelphia, PA - Fillmore at the TLA Tickets on sale June 15th
Monday, 30th July - Montreal, QC - Le Spectrum Tickets on sale June 7th
Wednesday, 1st August - Toronto, ON - Phoenix Tickets on sale June 14th
Saturday, 4th August - Chicago, IL – Lollapalooza Tickets on sale NOW
Sunday, 5th August - Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue Tickets on sale June 16th

Please see www.chairpage.com/tours for more information and ticket purchase links.

In addition to their own headline tour Silverchair will also make a mainstage appearance at the 30,000-capacity Lollapalooza Festival in Chicago on 4th August alongside Arcade Fire, Bright Eyes and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.

chairpage.com
Great news for you US fans! Silverchair has added three new shows to the North American leg of their "Young Modern" world tour that was announced yesterday. Details as follows:

Thursday, 26th July - Sayreville, NJ - Starland Ballroom Tickets on sale June 13th
Sunday, 29th July - Boston, MA - Paradise Tickets on sale June 14th
Friday, 3rd August - Detroit, MI - St. Andrews Tickets on sale June 15th

Please see www.chairpage.com/tours for ticket purchase links and more information.

Hope to see you at the shows.

Cheers,
chairpage.com
Old 06-08-07, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

You can hear another new track, Reflections of a Sound, on Silverchair's MySpace Page. It is a video.
Old 06-12-07, 03:59 PM

Wow they're still making albums? I thought by now they were broken up. I enjoyed some of their songs when I was a teenager and still listen to those now, but haven't explored any new stuff.
Old 06-12-07, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JCFantasy23
Wow they're still making albums? I thought by now they were broken up. I enjoyed some of their songs when I was a teenager and still listen to those now, but haven't explored any new stuff.
Yeah. For me they are alot like Radiohead; in that every album is lyrically / sonically different from the last & they never let their audience down.

Try listening to Frogstomp again, then pop in Diorama for an example of their growth as artists.
Old 06-12-07, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is the American release going to be missing two songs?
Old 07-05-07, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

... Silverchair will make their first ever appearance on NBC’s “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” when they perform “Straight Lines” there on Tuesday July 10. They will then perform the song on the CBS’s “Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson” in the wee small hours of Friday July 13.

Daniel Johns also flew to New York this week to film a major feature for MTV News.

Meanwhile, back at home the second single from Young Modern – “Reflections Of A Sound” – will be released digitally on Saturday July 14. The track will be bundled everywhere with live versions of “Straight Lines” and “Mind Reader” from the group’s Carriageworks Album Launch. iTunes will also include an exclusive live version of “Luv Your Life” in their version of the single package.

from [part of] email
Old 07-12-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

SILVERCHAIR RESCHEDULE 4 SHOWS DUE TO DANIEL JOHNS THROAT INFECTION

Silverchair has postponed four shows on their current U.S. Tour to allow singer, Daniel Johns to recover fully from a case of laryngitis.

Daniel caught the common viral infection of the throat earlier this week after flying Sydney/Los Angeles/Toronto/New York/Los Angeles over just four days. It severely impeded his vocal performance on the "Tonight Show With Jay Leno" on Tuesday.

While his Doctor had initially been hopeful that Daniel's laryngitis would clear up "in a day or two", he has since advised that the Silverchair frontman should "avoid singing for 4 to 6 days" in order to be guaranteed of making a full recovery. The Doctor also advised that singing during this time could risk permanent damage to Daniel's voice so the band has no choice but to reschedule these four important shows and to sincerely apologize to those who will be inconvenienced by this change of plans.

The San Diego, Anaheim, Los Angeles and San Francisco gigs will now take place in mid-November at the same venues. New dates are as follows:

Anaheim - House Of Blues - Rescheduled for Wednesday November 14
San Diego - House Of Blues - Rescheduled for Friday November 16
San Francisco - The Independent - Rescheduled for Sunday November 18
Los Angeles - The Wiltern - Rescheduled for Tuesday November 20

Patrons holding tickets for the original dates simply need to retain them and use them to gain admission to the rescheduled dates. Otherwise they can seek refunds from their place of purchase.

Dates for the rest of Silverchair's Young Modern World Tour are not expected to be affected in any way by this temporary throat infection.

Again, while it is obviously beyond their control, Silverchair apologizes for the inconvenience caused by this unfortunate turn of events.

chairpage.com
Old 07-12-07, 10:20 PM

Oh man, they sounded horrible on Leno, but I haven't heard them in forever..so I just figured that is how Daniel Johns sounded now. They should of just postponed, cause it sounded really bad.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.