Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Nine Inch Nails "Year Zero" April 2007

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Nine Inch Nails "Year Zero" April 2007

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-07, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
The two tracks I've heard so far are kick ass. I actually liked With Teeth quite a bit, but in relation to the others, The Fragile is still my favorite by far.
Old 02-19-07, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Me, I'm Not" has just been found on a plain looking USB flash drive in a bathroom stall at the latest show, similar to how "My Violent Heart" was found. Read all about it, and get download links at http://www.ninwiki.com/Me%2C_I%27m_Not

Also, if you're not busy, give the number 1-216-333-1810 a call. Another sound file was included on the USB Drive along with Me, I'm Not. This sound file sounds like "crickets" and when run through spectograph software, it seemed to be random blips that eventually lined up to reveal the phone number.

Last edited by CKMorpheus; 02-19-07 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-20-07, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think trents gonna try and make the world explode with his new music. I've actually had a feeling that trents getting more furious, and crazier by the years. I thought he was crazy when he made broken, the downward spiral, and the fragile. Even though they were brilliant, people that have created great things have been known to go crazy.

Old 02-20-07, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I think he's a little less crazy, and just more in tune with what is actually happening in the world.

I like the new song a little less than the other two. We'll see how I feel after listening to it a few more times, as well as in the context of the album.
Old 02-20-07, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm enjoying all 3 quite a bit. NIN has been one of my top 3 bands, claiming number one for a long time, for about 15 years. With Teeth was dissapointing lyrically, but his voice was(is) fantastic and the music was fantastic. These new tracks are more along the lines of what I was expecting from the hype surrounding With Teeth. I'm excited to hear this entire record, and even more excited that he's promoting it in this way. It's creative and fun.
Old 02-20-07, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ergyu
I'm enjoying all 3 quite a bit. NIN has been one of my top 3 bands, claiming number one for a long time, for about 15 years. With Teeth was dissapointing lyrically, but his voice was(is) fantastic and the music was fantastic. These new tracks are more along the lines of what I was expecting from the hype surrounding With Teeth. I'm excited to hear this entire record, and even more excited that he's promoting it in this way. It's creative and fun.
instead of using my own words, I'll use yours! Agreed 100%!

this promo method reminds me of the pink floyd mystery related to the division bell/pulse era of touring.
Old 02-21-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, this is the NiN that I wanted to hear a few years ago when 'With Teeth' was released. I love the hype and intrigue that is coming along with the album.

Saw somewhere on Echoing the Sound Trent is already working on another album for next year...Weird, wait all these years for a follow up to The Fragile, and now we are being overloaded with NiN material.
Old 02-21-07, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's not a NIN album out there that I don't enjoy. I've heard the three "leaked" tracks from Year Zero and I really like them, but I don't think I'll listen to any other leaked tracks that pop up before the album is released. I don't want to ruin the experience of hearing the whole album for the first time.
Old 02-21-07, 12:08 PM

I am surprised that they are leaking so many songs, so quick. To me, it almost seems as though Trent knows 'With Teeth' was a letdown to most of the fans and he feels that he has to proved that 'Year Zero' can live up to what is expected. With that said, I doubt I'll listen to anymore leaked tracks also.
Old 02-21-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingINClip
Well, this is the NiN that I wanted to hear a few years ago when 'With Teeth' was released. I love the hype and intrigue that is coming along with the album.

Saw somewhere on Echoing the Sound Trent is already working on another album for next year...Weird, wait all these years for a follow up to The Fragile, and now we are being overloaded with NiN material.
Unless the quality took a severe downturn, he could release new stuff every 6 months and I wouldn't feel overloaded.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 02-21-07 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-21-07, 02:18 PM

I think With Teeth was a pretty commercial success, I don't see really what fans were letdown by. I found the album pretty refreshing along with his tour. His album progression makes pretty good sense, but for some reason people want him to strip down and make pretty hate machine 2...problem is he's not in his twenties using borrowed gear anymore. He has to evolve in some way.

As for all this marketing, I hope it leads to something and means something that is deeper than just putting up cryptic messages for the sake of being mysterious and looking cool.

I don't think this album is going to be a real staple..it almost seems like a transitional type addon from With Teeth....almost like what Radiohead did with Amnesiac after Kid A. This is just from what I heard so far though.
I guess a lot of it has to do with how he wrote this record while on the road during With Teeth and how soon the release is, especially compared to the long dryspells between his previous albums.

Last edited by TripWire; 02-21-07 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-21-07, 04:09 PM

I think most felt that 'With Teeth', while a decent album, was nowhere near what it could of been. The lyrics, in my opinion took a huge step backwards, I mean songs like 'The Collector' and 'All the Love in the World' seemed like something that someone in their teens would write. Infact, I'd say that the most well written song on that album is 'Sunspots', that song seemed like a true NiN song.

With that said, I didn't get to see NiN their last tour, so hopefully I'll be able to catch them when they tour for Year Zero.
Old 02-23-07, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has everyone called the numbers?

"Survivalism"
1310-295-1040

I don't know the significance of this, other than the clip of "Survivalism."

"Case No. 71839j"
216-333-1810

This website kind of explains what you are hearing.
USWiretap
Old 02-23-07, 08:18 PM

I think With Teeth was a pretty commercial success, I don't see really what fans were letdown by. I found the album pretty refreshing along with his tour. His album progression makes pretty good sense, but for some reason people want him to strip down and make pretty hate machine 2...problem is he's not in his twenties using borrowed gear anymore. He has to evolve in some way.
I hated most of With Teeth, because (to me) it sounded like 40-year-old Trent trying to sound like 20-year-old Trent. I mean, he actually tried rapping again on "Only"... WTF was up with that?!
If he can't write great lyrics anymore, he should just do all instrumental. Some of the instrumental stuff on "The Fragile" is really, really beautiful.
Old 02-25-07, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TripWire
I think most people would probably want The Downward Spiral, Part 2, even though I think it is his worst album.
Old 02-25-07, 09:00 AM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree. I have been into NIN since Pretty Hate Machine came out and no matter how many times I try to listen to The Downward Spiral, I can never get through it.
Old 02-25-07, 09:35 PM

"In this Twilight" was leaked via the usual usb key method. It's pretty damn good, sounds like a Sunspots sequel apocalyptic ballad.
Old 02-25-07, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by TripWire
"In this Twilight" was leaked via the usual usb key method. It's pretty damn good, sounds like a Sunspots sequel apocalyptic ballad.
This song is very haunting, especially when listening to the lyrics and viewing the accompanying website:

http://www.hollywoodinmemoriam.org/
http://www.hollywoodinmemoriam.org/memoriam.htm
Old 02-25-07, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Jeezus...is YZ a double disc? Is every song going to be "leaked"?
Old 02-26-07, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It would appear that most of them will be leaked. It'll be interesting to see what it does for his overall record sales.
Old 02-26-07, 03:23 AM

I don't think I'll listen to any of these songs till the album comes out. I've been a fan for over 12 years, but I've only saw them once when they went on the club tour, at the Electric Factory in Philly. I'm excited to buy the dvd on tuesday to see the show they put on for larger audiences.
Old 02-27-07, 09:21 PM

Best Buy has free HD-DVD and Blu-Ray demo discs of the new Nine Inch Nails "Beside You in Time" DVD. They were sitting with all the other HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs.
Old 03-02-07, 12:48 AM

I almost got the Xbox HD-DVD add on for this DVD. Luckily for me the standard looks amazing upconverted to 1080p via VGA on my Sammy DLP. I'm sure the HD/BD looks nicer, but this is seriously one of the best DVDs I've seen upconverted. I guess shooting in hi-def source helps
Old 03-02-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What I'm wondering is if Trent plans on continuing with the 5.1 DualDisc releases for NIN...
Yes...any news on whether 'Year Zero' will be released in Dualdisc format?
Old 03-03-07, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm seeing NIN this Wednesday at the Brixton academy in London (support act is Ladytron, weird choice but they are pretty good). Really looking forword to it, I have not listened to the new stuff on purpose. So any new stuff that night will be a pleasent surprise. Should be getting the Blu ray concert soon and have set up the sound just right.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.