Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

I could die a happy man if they would just issue a remastered Beatles catalog

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Seriously. After listing to both the CD and DVD-Audio of "Love" for the last month, I'm convinced a remastered catalog needs to come out ASAP. The old CDs just sound like crap next to the stuff on "Love". They could charge $25 a pop for a CD/DVD-Audio version of all the old albums and I'd preorder them in a heartbeat.
Old 01-10-07, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also would like to see this happen.
Old 01-10-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I Beatles Anthology dvd set has remaster Beatles in 5.1. Based on that, I'd basically kill for a "Talking Head:Brick"-style boxed set of DVDA-CD Beatles stuff.
Old 01-10-07, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I'd basically kill for a "Talking Head:Brick"-style boxed set of DVDA-CD Beatles stuff.
I'd kick a nun off a cliff for that.
Old 01-10-07, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree. I've aslo been wishing for a remastered version of "Loveless" by My Bloody Valentine for like forever.
Old 01-10-07, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be careful what you wish for. Unfortunately audio remastering these days is more likely to make it sound worse than better, thanks to the loudness wars and noise reduction/digital tweezing.
Old 01-10-07, 07:37 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
How could you listen to it if you were dead?
Old 01-11-07, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
How could you listen to it if you were dead?
I said "could" not "would".
Old 01-11-07, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
I'd kick a nun off a cliff for that.
Would that be "Mother Superior"?
Funny how the used Sgt. Pepper in that press conference for the I-phone..
We will see some sort of remastered albums this year, but how it will be packaged is unknown. But the way Apple/EMI handled "Love" we can only wish they do the same for the catalog.
Old 01-11-07, 07:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by porieux
Be careful what you wish for. Unfortunately audio remastering these days is more likely to make it sound worse than better, thanks to the loudness wars and noise reduction/digital tweezing.
I agree with you in many cases, but the remasters of Boston's first two albums sound amazing!
Old 01-11-07, 10:58 PM

I'm not saying every single remaster ever done is bad, it totally depends on who is doing the remastering. If they got Steven Hoffman, for example, it would be incredible. Unfornately Abbey Road/EMIs track record here is not so good.
Old 01-12-07, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been really pleased with the remastering done on Beatles Number 1, Yellow Submarine and now Love. I don't see any reason to expect future remasters to receive an inferior treatment. It's also exciting to look forward to more high resolution remixing in 5.1. Due to the fact that they kept all 4 track tapes used when they bounced down tracks they should be able to isolate many individual tracks and create some mind blowing stuff. I fully expect my wallet to take a beating because I'm getting it all on release dates.
Old 01-12-07, 04:18 AM
Banned

I'm not saying every single remaster ever done is bad, it totally depends on who is doing the remastering.
Oh, I know. You are right about many remasters not being up to par.
Old 01-12-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If they got Steven Hoffman, for example, it would be incredible. Unfornately Abbey Road/EMIs track record here is not so good.
Old 01-12-07, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
I don't know what everyone is complaining about...

The original/current Beatles CD's have the best mastering job POSSIBLE!

...from 1986/87 technology!
Old 01-13-07, 12:16 PM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
...If they got Steven Hoffman, for example, it would be incredible...
Old 01-13-07, 09:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by B5Erik
I don't know what everyone is complaining about...

The original/current Beatles CD's have the best mastering job POSSIBLE!

...from 1986/87 technology!
I know you're joking, but the initial Beatles CD releases are actually some of the best non-remastered CDs out there. George Martin always had a crisp, clean production style and that helped out the CD immensely. Compare Love Me Do, recorded in 1962, to Prince's Around The World In A Day, recorded in 1985, and tell me which sounds better. I'll bet it's Love Me Do.
Old 01-13-07, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Actually, I was working at a record store when the Beatles' albums were released on CD. They had held off on the release for a couple of years because the technology wasn't up to snuff for them, and they waited until the CD's sounded the way they wanted.

They were some of the best mastered CD's in 1987 or so. That was 20 years ago, and the technology is better today - so a remastering is overdue. They definitely don't want just anyone remastering them, though, (making them louder, overcompressing them, etc), they need someone really good at mastering older, more dynamic Rock and Roll.
Old 01-24-07, 02:11 PM

They should just get Dr. Ebbetts to do it all, he pretty much knows Beatles' music inside and out by now anyway.
Old 01-24-07, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

According to the folks at the Steve Hoffman boards, the remasters will be first released around Valentine's Day to iTunes then to CDs at a later point.

Don't shoot the messenger, this is all just a rumor so none or all of it may ever happen.
Old 04-01-07, 04:51 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Hope that this is not an April Fool's joke, and that this leads to the remastered CD's to appear very soon (note that I'm more interested in remastered CD's becoming available after this announcement than the digital downloads themselves):

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index...S&newsID=17647

Apple and EMI plan joint announcement Monday
Apple boss Steve Jobs will join EMI chief Eric Nicoli to announce 'digital offering'

Apple CEO Steve Jobs will appear at a joint EMI and Apple press conference on Monday 2 April at 1pm.

Jobs will join EMI CEO Eric Nicoli at the event, which takes place at EMI's London headquarters, according to invitations from the music company distributed to journalists on the afternoon of Sunday 1 April.

The invitation reads: "Please join EMI Group CEO Eric Nicoli at EMI’s headquarters on Monday 2 April at 1pm London/8am New York time to hear about an exciting new digital offering, with special guest, Apple CEO Steve Jobs."

A special live performance by an unannounced artist will also feature at the event, the invitation confirms.

This event takes place after months of rumours claiming that music from The Beatles will be made available through iTunes, but Macworld sources have warned that tomorrow's announcement is not related to that particular piece of speculation.

An audio webcast of the press conference will be made available at The EMI Group's website.

------------------------

Also on CNET news site, stating that it is not an April Fools joke:

http://news.com.com/2061-10799_3-617...l?tag=nefd.top

Edit to Add: Now on Yahoo News:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070401/...i_te/emi_apple

Last edited by parker63; 04-01-07 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-01-07, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't buy mp3's--- mp3's don't replace cd quality IMO, so until I hear that they're releasing them in the shops, I'm indifferent.

I heard from a Beatles fanatic that there's going to be a deluxe edition 40th anniversary Sgt. Peppers collection out later this year, anyone hear that?
Old 04-01-07, 05:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nothingfails
I heard from a Beatles fanatic that there's going to be a deluxe edition 40th anniversary Sgt. Peppers collection out later this year, anyone hear that?
I did see this...doesn't mention anything about a Deluxe Edition, but it's something, although I don't know how valid it is:

http://www.albumvote.co.uk/news/article/1989.htm

June 1 2007 will mark the 40th anniversary of the Beatles’ groundbreaking Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band album, and to celebrate it’s birthday - all 11 of the fab four’s UK albums will be re-released.

The albums were originally released on CD in the late 80’s and the new versions are expected to feature each track re-mastered in a state-of-the art 24-bit sound as well as it’s original mono recording.

Exact details are to be confirmed but Rock Radio reports that the discs could be available as early as March and that iTunes, who are negotiating the digital rights, are to make a special announcement during the Super Bowl on February 4th.

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band is the UK’s biggest selling album of all time; it has shifted nearly 5 million copies and spent a staggering 23 weeks at number one.

Last edited by parker63; 04-01-07 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-01-07, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by parker63
I did see this...doesn't mention anything about a Deluxe Edition, but it's something, although I don't know how valid it is:

http://www.albumvote.co.uk/news/article/1989.htm

June 1 2007 will mark the 40th anniversary of the Beatles’ groundbreaking Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band album, and to celebrate it’s birthday - all 11 of the fab four’s UK albums will be re-released.

The albums were originally released on CD in the late 80’s and the new versions are expected to feature each track re-mastered in a state-of-the art 24-bit sound as well as it’s original mono recording.

Exact details are to be confirmed but Rock Radio reports that the discs could be available as early as March and that iTunes, who are negotiating the digital rights, are to make a special announcement during the Super Bowl on February 4th.

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band is the UK’s biggest selling album of all time; it has shifted nearly 5 million copies and spent a staggering 23 weeks at number one.
June 1 seems a little off since it falls on a Friday and usually albums are released on Monday in the UK and Tuesday in the US. Would be sweet if this was true tho.
Old 04-01-07, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

no reply sounds horrible the way it is........remaster it!!!!!!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.