Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Mika-the next Freddie Mercury?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-07, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flamboyant pop singer-songwriter Mika has been named the best new talent in the BBC's Sound of 2007 music poll.

The Beirut-born, London-based 23-year-old has been compared to Freddie Mercury.

http://www.mikasounds.com/

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/20070102.jsp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC9UzFhNlbA

maybe he should front Queen instead of PR

Last edited by tommy28; 01-04-07 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-05-07, 04:27 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Couldn't hurt. And I didn't even look at the clips.
Old 01-06-07, 08:54 AM

I found this Animated video of "grace kelly"

the more i listen,the more i like!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5go2...elated&search=
Old 01-06-07, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
He's talented, but irritating.
Old 01-06-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Stupid song, but he's easily about a billion times more talented than anything that's ever come out of American Idol...
Old 01-06-07, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts
Originally Posted by tommy28
I found this Animated video of "grace kelly"

the more i listen,the more i like!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5go2...elated&search=
God, I agree. I have listened to this song several times now and it is completely in my head.

Is the CD being released here in the states?

Someone posted that he is the love child of Freddie Mercury & Robbie Williams...I couldn't agree more.
Old 01-06-07, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
God, I agree. I have listened to this song several times now and it is completely in my head.

Is the CD being released here in the states?

Someone posted that he is the love child of Freddie Mercury & Robbie Williams...I couldn't agree more.

Brian check out the song "Billy Brown" on his myspace page.

not sure if america will get it but a few places online(download)will have it
(itunes,limewire)

http://www.myspace.com/mikamyspace
Old 01-08-07, 03:30 PM

grace kelly video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE1TzEUBE_0
Old 01-10-07, 10:53 AM

wow, impressive!

Any word on a US release of the album?
Old 01-10-07, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Reminds me of Jobriath, myself.
Old 01-12-07, 11:50 PM
Cool New Member

It's availble as an import for $17.95 shipped from CD-wow. That's much cheaper than Amazon and others.
Old 01-15-07, 01:21 PM

If he didn't do the falsetto crap, I would like it.
Old 01-15-07, 01:44 PM

I found a few songs online for download and most are pretty good.

any other world, My Interpretation and billy brown to name three..

here are some live clips to check out.

http://uk.launch.yahoo.com/mika/
Old 01-23-07, 02:38 PM

Finaly got a hold of the rest of the album and it's great..

Love today
my iterpretation
grace kelly
any other world
billy brown
big girl

are all great songs.it will win album of the year just about everywhere.

america,will see!
Old 01-23-07, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've had "Lollipop" stuck in my head for a week now. It's simultaneously awful and brilliant!
Old 03-27-07, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
I've had "Lollipop" stuck in my head for a week now. It's simultaneously awful and brilliant!
I cannot get this song out of my head. Great summer song.
Old 03-27-07, 03:05 PM

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Next Freddie Mercury? No. Next Leo Sayer? Possibly.
Old 03-27-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wait now it's just his first album don't jump the gun with the Freddie thing yet.But Brain May likes him I read that somewere.
Old 03-27-07, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I saw him last week at SXSW, it was a fun and entertaining show. I had never heard of him before; I actually thought the single was one of his weakest songs. Some of the other songs had some Elton John and (very obvious) Queen influence, and were quirky but pretty catchy.
Old 03-27-07, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Heh heh. After entering this thread I did the same thing. That song's infectious to the point that I went to Target and picked up the album (after sampling it on iTunes). Only $8, with two bonus tracks - acoustic versions of "Billy Brown" and "My Interpretation" (I chose this edition over the Best Buy one with the bonus acoustic versions of "Love Today" and DMB's "Satellite").

I'm saving my initial listen for tomorrow morning's commute. The car's going to be boppin'.
Old 03-27-07, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up the Best Buy version (Love Today is one of my fave songs off the album, more than Billy Brown and My Interpretation, so I got that one). It's really cool to get a current album with the "Casablanca Records" logo on it, I mean, I think the most recent Casablanca anyone in my family owned before now was the Flashdance soundtrack.
Old 03-28-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts
I picked up the cd from BB yesterday and have listened to the complete album around 5 or 6 times now. One of the best "blind buys" I have done in awhile. I had only heard the "Grace Kelly" song and figured for $8 with two bonus tracks it was worth the chance (hear that record companies??? price it right and people will still buy cds...even blind).

Impressions so far:
1. Grace Kelly - great catchy song with the obvious Freddie influence.
2. Lollipop - can it be...a catchier song than Grace Kelly? Jesus this song gets into your bones. Pure pop confection with lots of fun thrown in.
3. My Interpretation - Good song. Why do I keep thinking of Ben Folds' "Philosophy" when I hear this song?
4. Love Today - Another super catchy song. Great hook and tons of juicy falsetto. One of the best songs on the album.
5. Relax - great song. Catchy dance pop.
6. Ring Ring - just okay. kinda predictable but still enjoyable
7. Any Other World - another good but not great song with ELO strings in the background
8. Billy Brown - Okay. A kinda strange song but it will get in you head. Think "Old Fashioned Lover Boy" (Queen) times "The Diary of Horace Wimp" (ELO) divided by Penny Lane (Beatles) = Billy Brown
9. Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) - Brilliant. Update of "Fat Bottomed Girls" with a dance beat that will sure to be concert pleaser. No doubt this will become a fat girl anthem.
10. Stuck in the Middle - another just so-so song. Album filler.
11. Erase - decent song. nothing special.
12. Happy Ending - another decent above average song...but not a single.
13. Unlisted extra track - weird vocal but strangely haunting
bonus track #1 - Love Today (acoustic) - excellent version of one of the best songs on the album
bonus track #2 - Satellite (acoustic) - better than the original in my opinion. You can actually understand the lyrics instead of having to listen through Dave Matthews nasal mumblings. (disclaimer: but I have always hated Dave Matthews)

So many good songs makes it a great album to buy.

Any other current falsetto singers out there like this? I have always been a big falsetto fan and have everything possibly available by the king (in my opinion) Lou Christie. Also have a ton of stuff by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons as well as the Bee Gees of course. Any others I am possibly overlooking?
Old 03-30-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought it on Wednesday. I don't think it has the same affect on me as it does on most of the people commenting on this thread.

To me, the best song on the album is "My Interpretation". I bought the Best Buy version, and part of me wishes I bought the Target release to get the acoustic version of that song.

"Billy Brown" is another winner (and, because of that, I'm thinking about purchasing the Target version if it's only $7.99 also), just to get the two acoustic versions I don't have. ($4 per song, that would make it, but I've spent money on far less meaningful things).

And as "Lollipop" is silently sung in my head, I'm slowly realizing that this might be a grower.

However, I was really impressed with one of the Best Buy bonus tracks -- "Satellite" (DMB cover). I like the DMB song a lot. (This coming from someone who thinks they're only ok.) He doesn't do much different to it, but his voice adds a new depth to it. So I'm happy I got that. My reasoning in getting the BB version was because, as opposed to get just acoustic versions of songs on the album, this was an entirely new song by Mika. I thought it was worth it.

I like the "Big Girl (You are Beautiful)" a lot. "Lollipop" is not bad, but I don't like the use of the little girls voice in it.
Old 07-03-07, 01:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
oh my! heard the single 'Grace Kelly' on XM's UPop last night and I simply got to hear the rest of the album, thanks slingshot for mention of the Best Buy version, gonna pick this up this afternoon.
Old 11-13-07, 11:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
the live DVD hits the stores today:

Mika: Live in Cartoon Motion

Mika's offering, Live In Cartoon Motion, captures the star at his show stopping best, thrilling a sold-out audience of 4,000 fans at France's famed L'Olympia venue. Mika's Live In Cartoon Motion marks the first time the energetic star's lively show has been filmed in its entirety. Directed by Matt Askem (David Bowie, Paul Weller,) it captures Mika's flamboyant stage presence, with the star performing most of the songs from his 3 million selling worldwide debut album Life In Cartoon Motion, including "Relax, Take It Easy," "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)," and the global chart-topping "Grace Kelly." Using 10 cameras and shot in high definition, the DVD also features a documentary chronicling Mika's escapades throughout his much heralded world tour, a highly-raved-about romp that the caused San Francisco Chronicle to proclaim the star "an incredible showman." Nominated for two MTV Europe Music Awards earlier this week, the tireless star will tour Europe this fall, returning to his native England for a series of live shows in late November and early December.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.