Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Music Talk Mixtapes: Reviews & Impressions

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Music Talk Mixtapes: Reviews & Impressions

Old 12-12-06, 08:51 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't received any email other then the first ones either.

I received the BigDave and damfino mixes yesterday. I gave them a quick listen, but need to sit down and listen fully to post my thoughts.

I am working in my third incarnation of my mixtape. I think I have the songs I want, I just can't come up with a good order to make it flow. As it stands now, its more like a compilation cd then an actual mixtape. But it is a personal journey through the songs I've chosen. The journey is in the past, but some more recent songs help convey that thought along.

I hope to have a brilliant breakthrough tonight when I sit down again at my computer and find the perfect order. Barring that, I may go with what I have and burn the copies tonight and get them out in the mail tomorrow or thursday.

I haven't tackled the online mixes yet as I'm waiting to get mine up there first. That will go up as soon as I complete my order for the cds. Originally I had planned on two different mixes for the mail and online group. But I had such a tough time choosing the songs to make on the physical copy, I decided to use the same mix for the online group.

**EDIT** 1:30pm

Well, after more listening to my songs, and thinking of how they speak to me and carry the story I have in mind. I think I have an order. I'm going to make another test cd so that I can listen to it fully and make sure it is what I want. Then, burn the copies to ship out, make up a liner note sheet and mail them out in the next day or two at most.

This was definetly a fun project. I can't wait to get all the mixes and listen to them and post my thoughts. As well as reading what people thought of mine.

Last edited by Canis Firebrand; 12-12-06 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-12-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ghostface180 - Aural Pleasure Mixtape

Spoiler:
I really, really like these songs. Great to hear Deltron Zero keepin' the funk alive, good selection with the Madlib intro, and I love "Earthtones". I don't think there's a single song on this mix that I don't like, and yet I found it difficult to listen to all the way through while working. Too much of the same sound, I guess, and maybe a little too mellow. Still, it's a great mix, and it captures a specific sound very well. I'm really glad you put this together. Thanks.

das
Old 12-12-06, 03:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
Ghostface180 - Aural Pleasure Mixtape

Spoiler:
I really, really like these songs. Great to hear Deltron Zero keepin' the funk alive, good selection with the Madlib intro, and I love "Earthtones". I don't think there's a single song on this mix that I don't like, and yet I found it difficult to listen to all the way through while working. Too much of the same sound, I guess, and maybe a little too mellow. Still, it's a great mix, and it captures a specific sound very well. I'm really glad you put this together. Thanks.

das
Thanks. I'm glad you and The Bus enjoyed the mix.

Spoiler:

I can see how it would be difficult to listen to my mixtape while working. I was going for that mellow, spacey sound as its not often heard in hip-hop. Since I put it together late at night (around 3 AM) after a long day of classes, I needed something to relax and chill out to.
Old 12-12-06, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nobody knows a good Mac program to compress files? I suppose it doesn't necessarily need to be to .rar.

Thanks!
-ringding-
Old 12-12-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd just use whatever compression you can. There are countless tools out there for extracting files, including SIT on Windows.

das
Old 12-12-06, 06:10 PM

Different question: I just downloaded The Bus's mix and when StuffIt unpacked it, all that resulted was an empty folder titled "VA-Birdsongs". There were no files in the empty folder. I have the .zip of 149.1Mb. Anybody know why this would happen? I tried unpacking it a second time with the same results. And the third time.
-ringding-
Old 12-12-06, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
I received Shiv Shankly's and Damifino's today, the first of my bunch. Just looking at the track list of Damifino there is only about 4 of the 20 tracks I do not own the CDs of, good mix for my own collection. Looking at Shankly's track listing, I only recognize 3 of the 23 bands - nice to get exposed to some new stuff.
Midway through Shiv's CD
Spoiler:
a nice mellow mix, and I was surprised that Richard Harris, was THAT Richard Harris.

Last edited by Cusm; 12-12-06 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-12-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

DrRingDing

Different question: I just downloaded The Bus's mix and when StuffIt unpacked it, all that resulted was an empty folder titled "VA-Birdsongs". There were no files in the empty folder. I have the .zip of 149.1Mb. Anybody know why this would happen? I tried unpacking it a second time with the same results. And the third time.

-ringding-
He and I both encrypted our files with a password for extra protection. I don't know how StuffIt (or other Mac software) handles this.

das
Old 12-12-06, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts
Shiv Shankly's "Scattershot Mix"

Spoiler:
This was interesting. Only 3 familiar names and 1 familiar song. (Richard Thompson, Richard 'MacArthur Park' Harris & the Cookies. The familiar song was Morning Girl, but I don't remember Neon Philharmonic (a forgotten 1 hit wonder?). Speaking of one hit wonders, I really like the early 60s girl group sound of The Cookies, who are best known for the pre-Beatles original version of "Chains". I was going to say that this collection was kind of mellow, until I got to that orgasmic Japanese song!
Old 12-12-06, 10:10 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I've got the seven downloaded mix tapes from the initial email. Are there others as well? I haven't received any emails after the initial one for the online group and the mailing group.
Old 12-12-06, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I believe there are at least 3 other online mixes, maybe more. At this point, mine's probably expired, and I'll likely have to reupload it if anyone even wants it. I've burned through the mixes from the first email and would love to hear the others, so if anyone's dying for feedback, feel free to send me a URL directly.

das
Old 12-12-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am terrible at writing these up, but I will give it a shot.

Cerulean
Spoiler:
Taking a look at the playlist before listening, I had at least heard of all of the artists except for Curve, Neil Finn, and the Orange Peels. That said, the only song I could immediately place by name was Riot Radio (love this one). A few more (PJ Harvey, Stereophnics, Keane (I thought I did not like this one, but for some reason the opening of the song seemed better on your mix), Imogen Heap, Alison Krauss) I started to remember when I heard them. I still don't know if I like Bjork which is funny since I own all those dual-disk reissues, but have not really listened to any of them. Favorite "new" song was the Nickle Creek, which I digged the mellow vibe on with the Orange Peels being a strong second. A few I did not really care for on first listen (Fountains Of Wayne, Indigo Girls), but I have been known to change my mind in the past. Nice effort.

Shiv Shankly
Spoiler:
Like I said yesterday, the disc came a bit damaged, so I could not play several of the songs all the way thru. Nonetheless, I really, really liked the mix. On the list, I heard of maybe 4 of the artists, but none well enough to actual know a song they played. From quite a few of the tracks I got this 70's vibe (I don't how many, if any are actually from the 70's). almost if the could be used as a title songs for a slightly cheesy movie (I don't move this in a bad way). I am glad you included the Acid House Kings song as I had heard another one on XM and had meant to check them out. The Reiko Ike one does definately pull you out the mix a bit, maybe it should have ended the CD. I was diggin' things so much that I went ahead and picked the Shortwave Set CD and another one by Saint Etienne when I was at Tower. I think it had a decent flow (the Reiko Ike being the exception) and hopefully we do another mix so I care so more new artists from you.

Next up is Ghostface180
Old 12-12-06, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If anyone wants mine shoot me an email.
Old 12-13-06, 07:21 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'd love any links, via email, to online mixes other then these that I have from the original email.

atlantamoi
Cerulean
Cosmic Bus
DVD Josh
Ghostface180
look4sheep
The Bus
Old 12-13-06, 10:39 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I mailed out all the disks yesterday, except the one to SomethingMore (I had the postcode wrong) and the ones to The Bus (I forgot I needed to send two to him...) Those will go out today.

As a teaser, I thought I'd post the introduction to my liner notes (which don't include the track listing portion.)
<hr>
“He no longer listens to a-sides, he made me a tape of bootlegs and b-sides.”

It was 1974. I had purchased the Paul McCartney and Wings single “Band on the Run.” After playing it over and over again, I noticed that, on the other side, there was another song, called “1985.” I played it. I liked it. I thought, “Holy shit, you mean there’s other good songs on the flip side?! This is too cool!” My love for b-sides was born. Now, many of my favorite songs are b-sides. For most of my all-time favorite artists (The Beatles, The Kinks, Elvis Costello, Billy Bragg, Prince, Teenage Fanclub) my favorite song of theirs is a b-side. While there is no particular theme to this mix, just a bunch of songs I really like – many of which I’ve liked for a really long time – I did toss in a few of my favorite b-sides, just as a tribute to my particular passion. And no, there’s no Art Brut on the CD. Which leads me to…

“No Elvis, Beatles, or The Rolling Stones in 1977!”

The Clash’s manifesto (from a b-side, ironically enough) is another theme of this CD. While none of the artists on this CD are obscure, I have deliberately avoided most of the really big names, like the aforementioned Elvis, Beatles, and the Rolling Stones. Also not included are any songs from particular faves of mine like The Who, Bob Dylan, The Velvet Underground, or Radiohead. So, while I didn’t strive for obscurantism, I largely avoided the obvious as well.

I hope everyone enjoys this CD.
Old 12-13-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't wait!

das
Old 12-13-06, 04:07 PM

Alright, I've finished burning them all and now all I need to do is sleep for a few hours, get on a plane, travel across an ocean, sleep for one night, wake up and go to the post office! Of course, any transportation problems may lead to a delay in shipment.

I have some explaining to do about the mixes, but I will do it all in spoilers. This is the post I will update with tracklists at some point (and not the previous post where I mentioned it).

The mail group gets two cds. It's important to note that I burned from mp3s of varying qualities, so there may be some random volume disturbances, etc. I apologize for that.

I tested each cd on my shitty stereo (has a hard time reading cds) and they all worked, so they should work in any of the inevitably nicer stereos y'all have.

Also, for those of you playing these cds on a computer, you may have gotten an obscenely long title for the cd ("DJ Aj.Ej.Aj.En's Quick Fix to a Musical Education, vol. XX: DVDTalk Mixtape Project, Pt. X - blah, blah, blah") - this is because I have a personal anthology that I've slowly been composing and handing out to friends. I decided to include these DVDTalk mixes in the anthology and the cds were burned from the anthology playlists. Nevertheless, I also apologize for the grotesquely verbose titles.

I was very cheap in packaging the cds - the cds themselves, not the package for shipment. I apologize for that too. The random statement I wrote on each cd sleeve is just that - random, usually a statement normally found on FDA Inspected items.

DVDTalk Mixtape Project, Pt. 1 - Schizophrenic Flo, I'm of Many Minds
Tracklist:
Spoiler:
tracklist1.jpg

Notes:
Spoiler:

On this mix, I was endeavoring more to put forth a variety of styles and it ended up with a very random, hodgepodge feel, hence the title.

More than anything, with both this part as well as the second part, I tried to not make obvious choices - and when I did choose a well-known artist, I reached for less familiar songs (or, at least, ones you probably won't hear on the radio). If it was an artist that I felt needed more exposure, I might have made an obvious choice, as with track 2.

Track by track Notes:
Spoiler:

1) Monty Python "Traffic Lights" - I've always been amused by this track and I figured it would be a bit of a surprise to start off the mix.

2) Damian Marley "Welcome to Jamrock" - a lot of people avoid reggae because they find it to be too happy or the sound to be too grating. This album (and this song in particular) felt different though, because it fused a lot of what's good from hip-hop with a lot of what's good from reggae. Yeah, it sounds a lot like Sean Paul or other better known dancehall artists, but I couldn't help blowing open the doors for a few people, I'm sure.

3) The Slackers "Rude and Reckless" - my favorite ska band by far as they have a very relaxed, very old-timey feel. This album (Redlight) is one of my favorites ever.

4) The Cardigans "Live and Learn" - they are more than just "Lovefool" and I'm hoping this will expose some of you to their later work. This album (Long Gone Before Daylight) is also a personal favorite.

5) Psapp "Velvet Pony" - to tell you the truth, I'm only familiar with this group and I like the song, so I thought I'd put it on because I'm pretty sure most of you have never heard 'em before.

6) David Bowie "Lady Grinning Soul" - this was part of a theater performance I saw this past year and the song floored me then. I absolutely love this song - it's like a lost Bond theme - and I just had to include it.

7) Willy Mason "Fear No Pain" - another song I love.

8) Bob Dylan "VD Waltz" - I think it's a side of Dylan most of you have probably not heard. I put it on as a lark, really.

9) Murs & 9th Wonder (feat. Joe Scudda) "Silly Girl" - unrecognized hip-hop from this year that I felt deserves more exposure.

10) J Dilla (feat. Common and D'Angelo) "So Far to Go" - love J Dilla's album from this past year (Donuts and The Shining). His death was a tragedy.

11) Jackson 5 "Mama's Pearl" - I didn't want to do all obscure stuff and this song gets me moving.

12) Band of Herores "Our Swords" - this song seems to be appearing on a lot of year-end best lists. Now I know I'm not alone in thinking it's an excellent song.

13) Kings of Leon "Day Old Blues" - underrated group, IMO. The singer's voice makes me wanna cry at parts.

14) Belly "John Dark" - my favorite '90's "alternative" group. Tanya Donelly is such a fantastic songwriter that I felt obligated to stick Belly on here and I chose a b-side so as not to be too obvious.

15) Heart "Barracuda" - another lark, just wanted to keep you on your toes.

16) Louis Armstrong "Hello Dolly" - by this point I felt my mix was eclectic, but I wanted to blow it even wider. I love this song and I'll occasionally (yet often) get just the opening words stuck in my head.

17) Sam Cooke "Touch the Hem of His Garment" - I love Sam Cooke and wanted to include him somewhere here.

18) James "Crash" - although they were well-respected, I don't feel they ever got the popularity they deserved. Laid is one of my favorite albums ever, but it's also the one most people are familiar with, which is why I chose a song from a later James album.

19) John Holt "Ghetto Girl" - this song played regularly in my gym for awhile and I eventually had to find out who it was.

20) Mazzy Star "Halah" - an a capella group at my college covered this and I've loved it ever since I got my hands on this original version.

21) Taj Mahal & the Hula Blues Band "Great Big Boat" - a semi-lark. Most people are familiar with Taj but maybe not with this album/song, which is mostly Hawaiian in influence. I wanted to let y'all know about it.

22) The Magnetic Fields "Time Enough for Rockin' When We're Old" - good song. Wanted to change the flow a bit before...

23) Boban Markovic Orkestar "Disco Dzumbus" - I saw them perform in a tent in the middle of the street in my home town a few years ago and their show was spastic and truly exceptional. By this point in the mix, I felt I hadn't really established any flow so I figured I might as well put on some random shit.

24) Elvis Costello "Oliver's Army" - there's something in this song that makes it sound like a happy conclusion. I don't know why. It just feels like something's been resolved. So I decided to put it at the end...

25) The Beatles "Her Majesty" - I had a few seconds left to fill and I had just listened to Abbey Road right before I started burning, so I threw it on at the last second.

DVDTalk Mixtape Project, Pt. 2 - With Flo, My Heart Breaks
Tracklist:
Spoiler:
tracklist2.jpg

Notes:
Spoiler:

This turned out to be a very melancholy mix. I've been listening to a lot of low key, singer-songwriter type stuff recently, and so a lot of it found its way onto this cd. More than the previous part, I've tried to put on less well-known artists with an occasional well-known thrown in. Or, at the very least, solo work from artists better known for their group projects - track 1 is a good example of this.

I put this mix together after reading a post on here stating that somebody else's mix had a story to tell. So I tried to organize these songs into a kind of chronological order. And the story's sad, hence the title of the mix.

Track by track Notes:
Spoiler:

1) Tanya Donelly "After Your Party" - As with the last mix, I really wanted to include Tanya since I think she has never received the recognition she deserves. Unfortunately, I also feel her last two albums haven't quite matched her mid-90's/early-00's work.

2) Stars "The Big Fight" - To continue with the theme of love in trouble, I put this song on because it sort of sets the stage for the rest of the mix. Stars is an excellent group and this album (Set Yourself on Fire) was in regular rotation for me last year.

3) Martha Wainwright "B.M.F.A." - How can you not like a song that has an acronym for "Bloody Mother-Fucking Asshole" as the title?

4) The Black Heart Procession "Not Just Words" - This song was the highlight of this 2006 album (The Spell), IMO.

5) M. Craft "Love Knows How to Fight" - This just fit thematically. I'm not terribly familiar with M. Craft yet, but I've liked what I've heard. Since it fit the theme and I wanted to give the artist more exposure, I threw it on.

6) Grizzly Bear "Reprise" - This album (Yellow House) is one of my favorites this year (but it nevertheless isn't in my top ten). Again, it fit thematically and I wanted to give them more exposure.

7) Okkervil River "A King and Queen" - Love this song. Love this album (Black Sheep Boy).

8) Poor Rich Ones "New Lullaby" - Again, theme and wanted to give 'em exposure.

9) Joseph Arthur "You Are the Dark" - Many of you are probably already familiar with Joseph Arthur, but... again... theme and exposure.

10) Rachael Yamagata "Would You Please" - a better Vanessa Carlton. I wanted to include "Be Be Your Love" because that's my favorite of hers, but it wouldn't have fit thematically.

11) Neil Finn "Last to Know" - former Split Enz member and Crowded House founder struck gold with this album (One Nil).

12) Camille "Pour que l'amour me quitte" - I randomly acquired this album (Le Fil) from a friend this year and I really really like it so I just had to include a song from it.

13) Red House Painters "Song for a Blue Guitar" - I'm new to them, but I liked 'em enough to want to include a song.

14) Ryan Adams "The Fools We Are As Men" - Love Ryan Adams. Didn't want to make this completely full of medium-to-low-level indie artists.

15) Great Lake Swimmers "I Will Never See the Sun"
16) My Brightest Diamond "We Were Sparkling"
17) Great Laswell "High and Low"
18) Jaymay "Gray or Blue"
19) Mindy Smith "You Just Forgot" - these past 5 artists were all put on for theme and exposure.

20) Calexico/Iron & Wine "A History of Lovers" - I love the album (In the Reins) and the song (or, at least, the song title) felt appropriate as the final song.

If I ever get my third mix online (as it's intended as an online mix), I'll put notes here.

-ringding-

Last edited by DrRingDing; 12-21-06 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-13-06, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the comments from those who've heard my mix. Some quick responses to some of the comments:

Spoiler:
The Reiko Ike track probably did come off as surprising where I stuck it; I guess because I've heard it enough, I'm used to it, but last might have been best. The Neon Philharmonic's only hit was "Morning Girl," so yeah, one-hit wonder. Big Dave, hope you like the Shortwave Set disc and whichever Saint Etienne disc you selected. My main goal was expose some stuff I liked, so it appears to have worked in some small way.

I had initially written a few details about each track, which I ended up not including, but I uploaded them to the web, and if you're interested, you can read them at this link

I have received mixes by Damfino, Big Dave, maxfisher, and DJ Linus since yesterday, so I will post responses once I have sat through them all.
Old 12-14-06, 02:50 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've received three CD's so far from Shiv Shanky, BigDave and damfino.

My CD's are going out tomorrow (Fri, Dec. 15th), sorry for the delay, but everyone should hopefully be receiving a nice lil' batch of music from me on or around Monday of next week. So far December's lived up to it's reputation of being the most hectic month of my life as usual, coupled by the fact that I love to procrastinate like a mofo, hence, as I always like to say, "deadline... what deadline, I didn't know there was a stinking deadline, thanks for telling me!"

Love it or hate it, I'll explain more about my choices later.
Old 12-14-06, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts
Big Dave's "Oh What A Lovely Year"

Spoiler:
As soon as I heard Johnny Cash on the first track, I knew I was going to like this one. (Cash is probably the most prolific dead guy since Tupac, so I haven't bought this one yet -- I will eventually). I was surprised that I only knew one song (the cover of "Cowboys To Girls") and I only recognized 4 artist names (Johnny Cash, Massive Attack, Yeah Yeah Yeahs & Yusuf [Cat Stevens]) and I only recognized 2 voices (Johnny Cash & Yusuf) before looking at the track list.

Yusuf/Cat Stevens has been away from music for such a long time that I was surprised to hear that his voice still sounds exactly the same as it did 30 years ago. (he has also been away so long that I don't have any of his cds, but I do have vinyl records!)

Overall, this is a good listen to relax with at the end of a hectic day.
Old 12-14-06, 10:06 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Okay.. I have my mix ripped. I just have to make a text file with the playlist and explanation, etc.

I'm going to mail out actual cds tomorrow. Other then the one zip code correction, the rest of the addresses in the initial email are correct and those are the only addresses?

I uploaded my mix and emailed The Bus and dasMonkey. Hopefully an email can get sent to everyone, or at least all the email addresses forwarded to me.

Last edited by Canis Firebrand; 12-14-06 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-15-06, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry for the delay yall, It's been hectic (i have 2 jobs, cause I can only really make the cd's real late at night, and just today was able to get bubbler's and what not. I should be done by late friday night/sat morning and have them out by sat. I've sent emails out to 2 people who wanted links (the links are actually temp mixes, since some songs have changed.)

Hope you enjoy them (and if u hate them, rip me a new asshole for having such shitty taste, if you feel like it)
Old 12-15-06, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering could someone send me an email link with the newest online mixes not included in the original seven. Guess I've been missing those emails too.

mailto: [email protected]
Old 12-15-06, 08:25 AM

Got to my parent's house late last night, or, at least, it felt frickin' late (midnight aka 6 a.m. Czech time). These people's discs were waiting for me:
damfino, Big Dave, Shiv Shankly, maxfisher, and DJLinus.

I sent out the discs just now. I almost didn't have your zip, damfino, since I never received a correction email but thankfully I did receive your disc already, so I grabbed it off of the envelope.

-ringding-

Last edited by DrRingDing; 12-15-06 at 01:43 PM. Reason: shipping confirmation
Old 12-15-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts
Ok, here are some impressions from the mixes I've had a chance to listen to so far. I don't have time for too deep of analysis, so these are really more just initial reactions.

Big Dave's 'Oh What a Lovely Year'
Spoiler:
This was a nice mixture from a few albums I already have, a few I had heard of but not yet picked up, and some I'd never heard of. I had heard about both Camera Obscura and Say Hi to Your Mom from a friend, but I think this was the first time I'd heard their music. I'm guessing I'll end up buying both albums as a result. Some of the music was a little folksier/bluegrassier than I typically listen to, but all-in-all I enjoyed the mix quite a bit.

cerulean's mix
Spoiler:
So far, this is my favorite mix from our little project. There's a very nice flow to it and I even enjoyed songs from three artists I usually don't enjoy (Fountains of Wayne, Kate Bush, & Bjork). I hadn't paid attention to Neil Finn's post-Crowded House career at all and was glad to hear him still making good music. This mix has also convinced me to seek out the Mute Math album, which my girlfriend had asked me to pick up ages ago, but I'd completely forgotten about.

Damfino's 'The Rock Avenue'
Spoiler:
This mix took me back to late high school and reminds of sitting around drinking vodka and lemonade while most of my other friends experimented with pot, shrooms and acid. I don't really listen to much of this music anymore, but the collection of songs definitely did a great job of taking me back to a specific place and time. And a big thumbs up for Sandler's Ode to My Car. I used to blare that song from my shitty first car's shitty speakers in high school.

Shiv Shankley's 'Scattershot Mix'
Spoiler:
I think the only artist here that I'd previously heard much of was The Dears. I really liked the first half of the disc, and then it started losing me, especially with the Japanese & French songs. Unless the music really, really appeals to me, I have a tough time getting into songs with lyrics I can't understand. The mix picked back up with the Scott Walker song and I enjoyed the final handful of songs.

All in all, the mixes I've heard so far are making me really glad I took the time to participate in this. I'm looking forward to listening to more in the upcoming couple of weeks and am sure I'll end up picking up a dozen or so albums as a result.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.