Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Music Talk Mixtapes: Reviews & Impressions

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Music Talk Mixtapes: Reviews & Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
look4sheep

I was wondering could someone send me an email link with the newest online mixes not included in the original seven. Guess I've been missing those emails too.
YGM. I sent you all the links I've been able to gather, which should be 11 online mixes.

das
Old 12-15-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry all...just put my mixes in the mail last night. You'll get'em next week.

Now I can start listening...
Old 12-15-06, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Can I get some pirate copies for personal use?
Old 12-15-06, 12:54 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Mixes in the Mail!

Well, my CDs have finally been shipped! Unfortunately, because I'm in Canada, you guys might not get them for a couple weeks.

If you're part of the online group, PM me, and I'll hook you up with my SendSpace links tomorrow (I may have to re-upload...)

Enjoy!!

edit: das Monkey, can you send me the links to all the online mixes other than the original batch? I tried to PM you, but I wasn't allowed

Last edited by Dan; 12-15-06 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-15-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Responses To Comments On My CD So Far

Spoiler:
Damfino: Glad to hear you liked the CD. The Johnny Cash song and the Pipettes song at the end are definately my two favorites of the year depending on what mood I am in. I did not even know that the Cowboys To Girls was not an original song. Glad to see a lot of the artists were new to you, I was a bit worried (and it still might be true) that most of them would be too well known (at least in the world of indie).

I too was surprised how well that Yusuf's voice held up. Maybe the fact he has been so reclusive and probably not done a lot of singing (at least in large public venues) has preserved it.

maxfisher: I did not really know much about Camera Obscura till I saw the funky video for the song and went out and picked it up. The Say Hi To Your Mom song I heard on XM and really dug the beat and lyrics. I think you will enjoy both of them.

I think the music kind of fell into three groups: indie, pop (with a British feel), and coutry/folk. I would imagine that the later would be the least listened to on the board and frankly by me until the last year or so. Glad you liked it.

Ghostface180
Spoiler:
It's always nice to listen to intelligent hip-hop instead of the crap that gets radio/TV play. I think of all the artists that are on your mix, the only one that I had heard of was Blackalicious and I think I know only one of their songs (I used to use their song Passion to workout to). Around songs 5-9 the CD really it its stride and I really liked all of them. Maybe you can reccomed which of those artists has the best CD to start with. A few of things seemed to do a big-time shift in vibe midway thru the song which I wish they did not because the first part was better (IMHO). Overall an excellent CD and a great chance for me to get some exposure to a genre I usually do listen to.

Damfino
Spoiler:
A real nice set of music, a lot of which I had not heard in some time. I don't believe I have ever come across that version of Viva Las Vegas before and it was a nice open to go along with your CD notes. Just by names alone I think there probably 5 bands that I did recall ever hearing. I think the favorite new track was Television. I also was reminded that I needed to get The Dead Milkmen's Punk Rock Girl which I had heard on XM a few months ago. There was really a surrealist quality to a lot of the songs on CD a part of alternative music that you really don't find nowadays. Thanks for the mix.

Next up is maxfisher's 2-CD set.
Old 12-15-06, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

SomethingMore

edit: das Monkey, can you send me the links to all the online mixes other than the original batch? I tried to PM you, but I wasn't allowed
YGM!

das
Old 12-15-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
So far I have received Shiv Shankly, Damifino, DJLinus, maxfisher and wendersfan. I have listen to Shiv's, Damifino's and DJLinus completely, and am half way through maxfisher's. Damifino's mix could have come out of my collection, Shiv's is the most removed from my familiarity. I really enjoyed DJLinus and am really enjoying maxfisher's. From the listing I can not wait to start wendersfan - he is older than I thought and nice to see some older stuff on a mix.

I sent mine out earlier this week and hopefully some will start getting these soon. Sorry my cover is not up to par with most of the ones I have received so far. I am beginning to think my mix is going to be rather pedestrian compared to most everybody else's mix, but I hope you still enjoy it.

Is anyone working on a rating chart?
Old 12-16-06, 09:02 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
How old did you think I was?
Old 12-16-06, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just received the mixes from cusm and wendersfan. I have listened to half of damfino's (while driving yesterday) and am listening to cusm's right now.

I need to hear them all a few times to register any critique of any form.

EDIT to ADD: I updated my earlier post with my tracklists (in .jpg form).
-ringding-

Last edited by DrRingDing; 12-16-06 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-16-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I came home yesterday and finally got my mail for the week: mixes from Big Dave, wendersfan, maxfisher, Shiv Shankly, and Damfino. How cool is that to have a bunch of new music waiting for you?

Just judging by some of the covers y'all made, I'm going to have to step it up the next time we do this (and I hope there is a next time). Christmastime is just kind of hectic and I regret not polishing up the total package of my mix.

I listened to Big Dave's mix last night (without looking at the tracklisting first):

Spoiler:
As Damfino said, I knew I was going to like this mix when I heard the opening to "God's Gonna Cut You Down" - which, coincidentally, closes out my "Best of 2006" mix that I made for friends.

Jenny Lewis's disc is my Album of the Year, I liked the Isobel Campell & Mark Lanegan disc when I heard it earlier this year (it is in the tops of my last.fm charts because I accidentally left it on repeat overnight once), and it's good to finally hear something off of Cat Stevens' new album - his voice is still golden.

And can I tell you how great it is to finally find someone else stateside who is into Katie Melua? (my brother doesn't count since I turned him onto her) Her version of the Cure song is very delicate and pretty.

As for stuff that I hadn't heard before, I really dug the Camera Obscura, Say Hi To Your Mom, and Piperettes songs. I'm going to have to delve deeper into their catalogs.

Some of the songs sounded very vintage...like the ones by Hacienda Brothers and Cat Fish Heaven. Were those recorded in 2006?

Old Crow Medicine Show reminded me of the Asylum Street Spankers, which is not a bad thing.

Overall, this is a great mix of the familiar and the new. Good job.

Those are Cash's eyes on the cover, right?

Last edited by DJLinus; 12-16-06 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-16-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
How old did you think I was?

No idea, I just tend to think, with the exception of our two crypt keepers, most of the "older" members are close to my own age (34).
Old 12-17-06, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I never got an e-mail after the initial one. I'm waiting for everyone's addresses...

= J
Old 12-17-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
wendersfan's (mostly) old fart mix :

Spoiler:
The cover and disc art are cool...reminds me of something the Smiths or Belle & Sebastian would put out. The liner notes are great, too. Perfect Art Brut quote.

This was a good experience for me. While I have a few of the songs (Pogues, EC, Big Star, Joy Division) and have heard a couple of others (I swear, I hadn't even thought about that Edwyn Collins single in years), there is a bunch that is unfamiliar. Kind of shameful being a big music geek and all, but while I knew of Gang of Four, Television, Magazine, and others, I had never actually heard any of their music before. And the deeper cuts of some familiar artists (Kinks, Pixies, Randy Newman) is appreciated. Thanks for the exposure.

That being sad, I've given Sonic Youth plenty of chances over the years and I just can't get into them. Different strokes...

No big deal at all, but the track positions for "September Gurls" and "This Is Pop" should be reversed, according to the listing. Is this just my copy?

I still regret being sick on the night of the Snow Patrol concert a couple of years ago. It would've been fun to hang out with one of my elders.

Last edited by DJLinus; 12-17-06 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-18-06, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some reviews for the internet group, still need to go through last 4, which I received in the email. Thanks for sending that email das Monkey. Enjoyed the mixes so far, and glad that I got to participate. Hope you guys don't take it personal, i'm pretty bad at doing reviews, so if it starts making you turn red, uh, I really didn't mean to make it sound like that, I'm just bad at choosing words and reading peoples is even worst.

About my mix:
The horns thing, well ya I know it was gonna be iffy, but it made up a lot of stuff that was being played when I was young so to me it's always gonna be a part of the soundtrack of my adolesence. As far as it being personal? hmm, I think it's alot of how I am now, trying to keep peppy most times but sometimes a bit vitriolic. What I figure is sometimes normal for most peoples.

atlantamoi

Spoiler:

Loved this mix. In part because I've always wanted to hear more 80s music. Out of your mix, I believe the only thing I've heard before was the Go-betweens and chameleons. Really loved Jazz Butcher Conspiracy and Scruffy the Cat, so it's defintely something I'm looking forward into checking out more. But as I said, I just know the names that seem to have made it out of the 80s, and that being mainly the new wave dance stuff from europe since it made up alot of the stuff I heard while growing up as a kid. I also like it because it reminds me alot of Elvis Costello & the Attractions's Get Happy, which is one of my favorite albums ever.

Cerulean

Spoiler:

Another mixed I really loved. Ghostface's and yours were the first two that I heard, and thought what a way to go (in definite positive ways). Loved your choices, and it kinda mkes me wanna check out indigo girls, although I coulda sworn I remembered them being more folky. Overall, I think it's a really solid mix, and all the tracks are solid on their own merits. I know I'll defintely be listening to this mix for a long time.

Cosmic Bus

Spoiler:

Damn, I'm torn on your album. Your choices like Catfish Haven and Andrew Bird were really great. But at the same time I kinda have a hard time to listen to it in one sitting because of the dreamy mood it puts me into. Which is bad for me because when I get relaxed I drop off to sleep like a log. Still thanks for putting it together, alot of bands on there I haven't heard for, and
I'll try to keep an eye out for should they come into town touring.

DVDJosh

Spoiler:

Hmm, I think I'm gonna have to agree with das monkey about your mix. I like alot of the bands that appears on your mix, at the same time because of the all familiarness of it I'm kinda not ready to listen to it for that long. ALthough if I was back at my old warehouse job, your mixed would've really helped me pass the days there alot better, since the current job doesn't allow me to
crank it up, nor listening to earbuds. Spoon is a band I hadn't heard of though that appeared on your mix, and so I'm kinda wanting to hear what else they have out there. Plus your inclusion of Dross makes me want to give machina II another listen since it's been so long. Hoping to hear your next
mix.

ghostface180

Spoiler:

As I mentioned in cerulean's review, yours was one of the first two mixes that jumped out at me. Plus I thought no one else ever heard of cunninlynguists. I like your mix because of its mix of chill and the lesser
shown side of hip-hop in the media. It's nice to listen to have as background music when I bother to read, but it's nicer to remember that there's more artists out there not rapping about being a thug and hustlin'. Really love your mix, and thanks for getting it out.

The Bus

Spoiler:

Hmm.. I like it. At first I saw the name of trembling blue stars, which i still
associate with that "Lips that taste like tears" and was like, o man, please not one of his songs again. It something that one of my friend tries to get me into and it seems to be at a 30/70 ratio of good to bad, before I found him lacking in characer. I know it's probably wrong, but the belle & sebastian approach of music hasn't really worked well with me, and it's usually these
bands i see associated with it, so I was a bit apprehensive about it. But I like your mix, especially the choice of CAsh and Dylan, and who can resist new order. The tracks keep me going, and I only wish they allowed earbuds at work so I can crank this badboy up.

Last edited by look4sheep; 12-18-06 at 01:51 AM.
Old 12-18-06, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Ok first off, thank you das for helping out with emails. I think I figured out the problem so if someone is still missing stuff, you can contact me. I'm going to mail out what I've received so far at the end of this week to you.

look4sheep:

Spoiler:
I'm glad you didn't hate the Trembling Blue Stars track. I actually don't like that album at all, except for that song. When I was picking tracks it was going to be that one or Belle & Sebastian's "Waiting for the Moon to Rise".

Two reviews of mixes:

DJ Linus's Crypod:
Spoiler:
For a split second, I thought this would be either emo or like very bad goth music. I'm glad it wasn't. This one is very nice and extremely cohesive. I was familiar with some bands but had not heard their music in this context. The fact that I don't begin to interpret lyrics until maybe the 20th or 30th listen means that I don't "get" how truly dark these songs may be, so that didn't bother me.

Shiv Shankly's Scattershot:
Spoiler:
This one is by far one of the more fun mixes I've heard (not that I didn't also like all the other ones). It seems very... I don't know. All the songs seem so familiar yet there's something very odd or strange in their quality. I don't know how to best describe it: they all seem like songs you've heard before but are a bit different. Like a CD of Christmas song covers, except these songs aren't Christmas songs. Also, you've got the biggest let's-hear-that-track-again song, The Shortwave Set's "Is it Any Wonder?" I'm picking up that album next time I'm at a record store.
Old 12-18-06, 08:01 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by DJLinus
wendersfan's (mostly) old fart mix :

I still regret being sick on the night of the Snow Patrol concert a couple of years ago. It would've been fun to hang out with one of my elders.
As far as the track order, everybody's should be identical. I guess when I burned the final mix it was slightly different than the original one, which I used to write the liner notes. Either that, or a copy and paste issue. Also, the final track is obviously not from the year I wrote on the liner notes, but is 20 years older.

Thanks for your kind words.
Old 12-20-06, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
DJLinus "CryPod"

Spoiler:
Although I'm not surprised that it took the 3rd cd to arrive to have something that matches my collection, I never would have guessed that the artist would be The Eels! I hadn't heard Yaz in years. I always did enjoy Alison Moyet's voice, even though I never bought any of her stuff.

Thanks for including another Johnny Cash song that I'm not familiar with. Somebody should add up all of the artist appearances to see who the most popular artist is in the mix project.

Lyle Lovett's "Christmas Morning" was so good I recommended it in another thread!

This was a very enjoyable mix with only half of the artists familiar to me.

I am listening to these in the order I receive them & they are piling up! I've also listened to the offerings from Wendersfan and dasMonkey, so I'll be back soon with more comments. Meanwhile, I've got cusm & auto on deck.

Also, thanks for the comments Big Dave!
Old 12-21-06, 11:55 AM

I feel a little bit stupid now since it seems I'm the only one who did not include a tracklist with their discs. Oh well, next time, it seems.

Admittedly, in order to get it out on time, I really didn't have time to print the tracklist - I had no accessible printer when I was burning the discs.

The discs I do have now: maxfisher, DJ Linus, cusm, wendersfan, auto, Big Dave, das Monkey, hal9000, Vryce, Shiv Shankly, Damfino.

I'll post reviews once I've had sufficient time to digest them, which will probably be in the new year.
-ringding-
Old 12-21-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I've gotten many discs but not all of them. Once I get them all I'll go out and send them to das and you guys.

I may include some kind of bonus for the mail group.
Old 12-21-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DrRingDing
Admittedly, in order to get it out on time, I really didn't have time to print the tracklist - I had no accessible printer when I was burning the discs.
Why not post a spoilerized track list here?
Old 12-21-06, 02:23 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Damfino
Yeah, please do! I'm going to end up doing this myself with my tracks with a quick little tid bit of info that I didn't have time or space to include with discs.

Btw, for those of you using Mac/iTunes I submitted my CDs to Gracenote, so they should load when you put the cds into iTunes. I know Gracenote might end up removing the track lists because they only want legitimate CDs being submitted, but it might work for a little while.
Old 12-21-06, 02:30 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Glad to see mine made it to at least some people. They all went out at the same time.

I'm sure my mix is a bit pedestrian compared to the others I've received so far. But it was a personal mix and one that I felt conveyed a story. They are all artists that I enjoy and try to introduce people to when I can. A lot of artists that make up the mix tapes I've received so far, I've never heard of. But that is the fun part of this in being exposed to new music.

I'm looking forward to reviews of my mix. Though, when you listen to it, you may not want to have any sharp objects near by, such as razor blades. Nor would you want a big bottle of sleeping pills.

Last edited by Canis Firebrand; 12-21-06 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-21-06, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Damfino
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...4&postcount=92

Although, I'm going to update the notes to give some notes on some of the specific tracks.

-ringding-
Old 12-21-06, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wendersfan - "Anna Karina's Gaze"

Spoiler:
It finally happened. I own half of the tracks on this one and I've heard of every artist, still there are some overlooked gems here due to the b-side policy. I hadn't played my Edwyn Collins in ages so it was a lot of fun to hear that one again. Thanks for inspiring me to get out some more of my old cds and for probably getting me to buy a Spoon cd.
Old 12-22-06, 03:21 PM

Anybody who is holding off sending their mix to me, please do not. I'm leaving the US for an indefinite but long period of time next Wednesday or Thursday and getting the mixes will be a pain in the ass if I do not have them before then.

Thanks!
-ringding-

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.