Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Music Talk Mixtapes: Reviews & Impressions

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Music Talk Mixtapes: Reviews & Impressions

Old 12-09-06, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cerulean... here's my take on your mix:

Spoiler:
I'm torn right down the middle on it! Half of it I simply love beyond belief (like the Garbage song you picked is my favorite of theirs and I've always loved those Neil Finn, PJ Harvey and Bjork cuts). But a couple of others I wasn't that wild about. Power pop is a fave of mine and I thought that Fountains of Wayne song was awful (sorry!). Reminded me of some Christian music I used to listen to. My wife was cooking dinner while I was listening and made me FF past the Orange Peels tune (I sang the melody to her all night to bug her). But I REALLY like that band. So, the torn part is really digging many of the tunes but liking different songs from some of the artists you chose. I suck talking about flow... I listened to your mix twice over three settings, so I won't comment on that.

Andrew Bird & Imogen Heap
Old 12-09-06, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
No one loves me .
My take....

Spoiler:
We have different tastes, but it's not *that* far away. I strongly dislike a lot of the new rock that's made it to radio over the past 5-10 years.
Like the Eve 6, Chevelle and Our Lady Peace songs just reinforced how there is so much better out there under the surface. But then you have that Spoon song to start and that was one of my favorite tunes and albums from last year (it's exactly the kind of band I wish could gain more attention from radio). Hearing the Queen, ACDC and Hendrix tunes mixed in made it even more apparent how lacking some current rock is. My criticism is not aimed at you!! We all have different tastes and that's totally cool.

I'd never heard of Athenaeum and thought it was okay. Franz, Weezer and Radiohead... yum!
Old 12-09-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Look4Sheep... YES! This was a lot of fun and you introduced a few bands I'd like to know more about (thanks to AMG I did)

Spoiler:
I thought at first your mix was going to be a whole lot of tired 90's swing, but that wasn't the case at all (I happen to like much of that tired stuff BTW!).

Divinyls... not sure if you are into their regular albums, but these guys probably only get noticed for their big hit. Too bad... cool band and good choice!

Misfits... wow, LOVE this song. I need to go back and hear more from these legends.

Stray Cats "Beautiful Blues". I think that Choo Choo album gets unfairly attacked because it's got a few killer songs.

Go!Go! and Seagull Screaming... WTF?! This is cool as hell. Just the name Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her is amazing to me. Some Japanese band rips a long XTC song title for their name? Love it.

Never heard of the The Living End, but just investigated AMG and see that they could be something I'd love. Rockabilly always moves me and being Australian doesn't hurt.

Overall, I loved your mix and had a lot of fun listening to it. As Jon Spencer would say, "Dayamn!"
Old 12-09-06, 09:31 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Hey all,
I've uploaded my mix to SendSpace. The Bus should be e-mailing the link to you shortly (mail participants will still receive the CDs).

The tracks have been stripped of their ID3 tags and such. Just so you really have no idea what to expect, other than what you can gather from the title of the mix...

I will upload the tracklist by adding a link in my signature after I get back from work today.

Enjoy!
Old 12-09-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I sent my packages to the mail group this morning via 1st class so you should have them sometime next week. I included a track listing, but flipped it over within the case so you can decide if you want to look at it before you play the disk.
Old 12-09-06, 05:45 PM

My disc went out today as well. Track listing is included but obviously optional. I titled my mix "Scattershot Mix," given that that's what it is. I'll be curious to hear your impressions.
Old 12-09-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts
My cds also went out today. Unfold the insert to find the track list and an explanation of what "The Rock Avenue" used to mean in Las Vegas.
Old 12-10-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Hey, mail group. I totally scrapped my first mix (luckily, I didn't burn it onto any discs) and started over this weekend. This one's a bit more cohesive. I'll be sending it out tomorrow afternoon, barring some unforeseen circumstance.

If you don't want to see the tracklist, don't unfold the piece of paper I sent along with it. (I didn't make a cover)

BTW, I should've posted this earlier, but Sam's Club has a great deal on 6" x 9" bubble mailers - a box of 25 for less than $5.
Old 12-10-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DJLinus
Hey, mail group. I totally scrapped my first mix (luckily, I didn't burn it onto any discs) and started over this weekend. This one's a bit more cohesive. I'll be sending it out tomorrow afternoon, barring some unforeseen circumstance.

If you don't want to see the tracklist, don't unfold the piece of paper I sent along with it. (I didn't make a cover)

BTW, I should've posted this earlier, but Sam's Club has a great deal on 6" x 9" bubble mailers - a box of 25 for less than $5.
Got a question regarding mailing. I actually have little thin sleeves (a pack of 50 for 4.99). could i just put those in a regular envelope and ship them out that way?send

Also, how long does the sendspace link work? I sent Bus the link a few days ago.
Old 12-10-06, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rypro 525

Also, how long does the sendspace link work? I sent Bus the link a few days ago.
It used to be 7 days from the last download, but the FAQ is now painfully unclear, so who knows.

das
Old 12-11-06, 10:27 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Big Dave's arrived just now. Cool...

ETA: Damfino's too.
Old 12-11-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts
I just sent out my mixes via first class USPS on my lunch break. I also swung by my apartment and was surprised to find Big Dave's, Shiv Shankly's and Damfino's had already arrived in today's mail. I'll be ripping them to my ipod tonight so I can check them out asap, since I'm going to be traveling the rest of the week.
Old 12-11-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sometimes the Post Office is amazing, It hasn't even been a full business day since I sent them! (obviously they are working on Sundays)
Old 12-11-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hrm. I'll have 'em out Friday, barring flight delays and shit like that.

I have a (different) mix I'd like to put online as well, but I need to find a good free program to compress to .rar for Macs. Anybody know of one?

Thanks!
-ringding-
Old 12-11-06, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not quite sure what's going on with the emails as I haven't seen anything since Wednesday, but I'm assuming the Internet people still do not know how to access my file (I uploaded it Tuesday, so we're nearing the 7 days). Mail people should receive a CD shortly, but if anyone wants access to my stuff, use the forum to email me, and I'll just send you the link directly. It's unfair that I've been able to download all these great mixes and seemingly haven't given anything back in return.

das
Old 12-11-06, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I've sent out three different emails using two different providers. If someone hasn't gotten my emails, I don't know what else to do.

I'm sending out Rypro's info now, BTW.
Old 12-11-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only emails I have received were the ones that posted the original details for the online and mail groups. I have received no updates since then if they were sent.

I received Shiv Shankly's disc today and it looks like the top of the disc was scrapped in some way. I can see it on the data side as well. I will see how well it plays when I give it a proper listen tomorrow.
Old 12-11-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bus, I did some minor tweaks to disc/mix 2 (aka got rid of one song, cut seconds here and there, and added 3 songs, so should i re send it when I get the time (hopefully tonight)?
Also, due to funds and what not, I am sending the first 5 mixes out tonight, and the rest should be done by friday.
Old 12-11-06, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Bus,

Since something strange is clearly going on here, I'll volunteer to work in the distribution department of the Mixtape Mail Room. If you want to send me all the relevant info via IM, I can organize it and resend through my own providers to those of us who aren't able to receive from you.

das
Old 12-11-06, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dave
I received Shiv Shankly's disc today and it looks like the top of the disc was scrapped in some way. I can see it on the data side as well. I will see how well it plays when I give it a proper listen tomorrow.
That's odd; I assume that happened in transit? Everything looked fine when I put them all together. Hopefully it works.
Old 12-11-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I haven't received anything except the initial two either.
-ringding-
Old 12-11-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shiv Shankly
That's odd; I assume that happened in transit? Everything looked fine when I put them all together. Hopefully it works.
I would imagine it must have been in-transit. The package did not look like it had been crushed, but maybe something heavy was on top of it at some point. Was able to scan thru the tracks and it looks like 7 of the first 10 skip when played, the rest seemed ok.
Old 12-11-06, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Okay, I sent mine out this afternoon. First Class turned out to be cheaper than media mail (bonus: y'all will get them sooner).

I listened to my mix again today and wanted to swap some songs. Oh, well. What's done is done.

While I've been on this temp assignment I've been staying at a friend's house to cut down on my daily commute (5 miles vs. 80 miles), which means I only get my mail when I go home on the weekends. Sucks that I have to wait so long to get the mixes.

And for the record, the only e-mails that I've received are the initial mail/internet group ones.

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Got a question regarding mailing. I actually have little thin sleeves (a pack of 50 for 4.99). could i just put those in a regular envelope and ship them out that way?
I guess you could. I just use bubble mailers as an added precaution.
Old 12-11-06, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received Shiv Shankly's and Big Dave's cds today!

I am listening to Shiv's now and I'll be back later with comments.

also, since we are comparing notes on emails. I received 2 from The Bus on 12/6 (one for each group) and nothing since.
Old 12-12-06, 03:47 AM

Just wanted to check in, still listening to the mixes. Probably post my thoughts near the end of the week (12/17), gonna try to give it at least one more listen each night.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.