Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Music Talk Mixtapes: Reviews & Impressions

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Music Talk Mixtapes: Reviews & Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
das Monkey - Show Me the Way or: How to Destroy Your Cred in Five Languages

Another really good mix. I like the aspect that you don't know who's who. I guess with the next ones I'm going to minimize Winamp so I can't find out. This is a mix, that, like atlantamoi's and Cosmic Bus's I can listen to straight through, and it takes me on a very specific trip: I haven't gotten to the last track yet, but I assume it will hold true of the rest of the album.

This is perfect music to work by you guys, and that's not to mean that it's not engaging, but to me at least it helps sharpen my concentration. That's why on Last.fm I have so many soundtrack artists up high (especially Yann Tiersen and Alexandre Desplat).

This is the type of music that plays at bars I like to go to, put it that way.

My guesses on the tracklist, without going anywhere but my own music collection:

Spoiler:

01. Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
02. Frank, of course. Not familiar with this song, but I like it. Sounds like maybe 50s or 60s output... correct?
03. Tony Bennet? He sounds really, really young in this.
04. Don't know this one at all but it sounds vaguely like Mark Kozelek of Red House Painters / Sun Kil Moon.
05. This is João Gilberto and that's Stan Getz. That sax is unmistakable.
06. I may have heard it before, but I can't place it.
07. Nightswimming. This was actually on one of the mixtapes I got in highschool and what got me to thinking of this project again.
08. More Israel? Someone else?
09. I recognize it but can't name it.
10. Another song I got from a mixtape, I think. Unless it's from the O Brother soundtrack. Don't have it onhand, so can't tell.
11. No idea but I really like it.
12. Ditto.
13. Now there's two Crash Test Dummies songs I like.
14. This is the only one that seems out of place. Reminds me of the cheesier side of Keiko Matsui.
15. This one I like a lot and I have no idea who it is.
16. The Fountain. I was wondering it the soundtrack would be any good as I'm a huge fan of Clint Mansell, and this song seals it. I'll be picking it up. I tried to get it the week before the movie but it wasn't out. hbfrank:
17. No clue. Does Tori Amos do instrumentals?
Old 12-07-06, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, The Bus. I was going for a mood here -- or perhaps two competing moods. When I first sat down to do this, I cobbled together a list of favorite songs, but I threw it out and started over with your first instruction: "Try to make it as personal as possible." This is a very personal mix, for reasons that will likely only have meaning to me, but might strike a chord in a few others if I'm lucky. I don't listen to this music that often, but I've been in a strange mood the last few weeks and wanted to capture that while I had it.

I see what you mean about Track 14. It makes perfect sense to me why it's there, but without context, it probably feels out of place.

I'll share a track list at some point in the future. Going for a mood concept here, I didn't want to distract with names and artists. I like the idea of just listening through without knowing what's next. Plus, trying to figure out what everything is can be fun.

das
Old 12-07-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got an idiot senspace question. I have my mix on my computer and what not. How do i put all of the files/songs into one big file, because the way i have it currently, i can only put one song at a time, and that would be a pain in the ass to upload and for you all as well.
Old 12-07-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Most of us put them in .zip files. You'll barely get any compression, but they'll at least be grouped in one file. Use WinZip or WinRar or WinAce. It looks like you may need WinZip 10 or better to open mine (sorry, everyone), so you may as well go ahead and get that if you don't have anything else.

das
Old 12-07-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm making some covers for the CDs. Nothing fancy.

Here's atlantamoi's, for example:

(Remove the _tn from the filename to get the print-quality one).

Ghostface 180's:

(click on this one to go to the imageshack page with the 1MB print cover)

<hr>

Ghostface180's The Aural Pleasure Mix Tape

Well, well done!

Spoiler:
I know the music talk community seems to be anti-hip-hop/rap, but this is one of the better mixes I've heard in a while in this genre. Lots of good thoughtful "conscience rap" and nice production. It starts to run into each other a bit near the end (except for "Brain Cell") but honestly I think it has more to do with how late in the day it is and how many of these I've listened to today.

Highly recommended mixer. A++ will listen to again.

Up next: Block of Rock!

Last edited by The Bus; 12-07-06 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-07-06, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Damfino
Mail participants: please note that my zip code is incorrect. The Bus should be sending out a correction.
I haven't received an email with Damfino's correct zip. Could someone maybe post it here? I'm guessing a zip code isn't personal enough of info that someone would worry about it being posted...
Old 12-07-06, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

There should be an 8 between the 4th and 5th digits of the zip. (Also, I re-sent email through Gmail today).
Old 12-07-06, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
There should be an 8 between the 4th and 5th digits of the zip. (Also, I re-sent email through Gmail today).
Cool, thanks. I'll be sending my mix out either tomorrow, or Monday at the latest.
Old 12-07-06, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
I'm making some covers for the CDs. Nothing fancy.

Here's atlantamoi's, for example:
Cool.
Old 12-07-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by maxfisher
I haven't received an email with Damfino's correct zip. Could someone maybe post it here? I'm guessing a zip code isn't personal enough of info that someone would worry about it being posted...
It's 89180

I'm almost ready to ship myself. I'm using the extra time to print an improved track list, and I plan to ship Saturday.
Old 12-07-06, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Bus

I haven't gotten anything since the first email.

das
Old 12-07-06, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Bus - birdsongs

Great cover art.

Spoiler:
It starts really strong, and I found myself enjoying a lot of it. Then, somewhere around the middle, the tracks stray from "music" to "noise" territory (personal opinion, of course), and it was a bit of a chore to get through. I like "Reno Dakota", but it almost feels like it belongs on another album, particularly when sandwiched between "Rock & Roll" and "Had to Find Out". At about Track 19, though, it picks back up and ends up closing even better than it began. I like that there is some non-English music here, and I love the closing song choice. You essentially did what I did with the closing song, except capturing a different emotion, and it works very well here. Overall, a lot of great music, and I look forward to revisiting it after I get done with some other mixes.

das
Old 12-07-06, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Tinkered with my mix a little today and I have started to burn copies and have created a cover for it. I don't know if it will have all that much flow to it given the very loose criteria I chose. Hopefully it will at least introduce an artist or two to some people. I think if we do another volume it will be a bit easier for me. Tomorrow I will make up a track listing and finish copying the CDs. I will make a trip to the post office on Saturday morning to send them all.

I also downloaded all the online mixtapes and will start to listen to them. I might post mine, but I want to wait until the mail people have received their actual CDs first.
Old 12-07-06, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

cerulean - DVDTalk Mixtape

I love it.
Spoiler:
I have to agree with The Bus, in that I'm not sure about the track order, but the songs themselves are great choices (and while I don't have a problem with the Indigo Girls, "Ghost" is a bit whiney). It's interesting to me how each mix takes me to a different emotional place. Yours strangely reminds me of a once-close friend with whom I somewhat lost touch after he moved away. In my mind, if he made a mix tape, it would sound exactly like this. Closing with "Love is Blindness" is a great choice (hey, if U2 closes an album that way, why not you?). If possible, though, I'd clip the applause from the end. The emotional power of the final lyric is undercut by all the cheering in the distance.

Of the mixes I've listened to so far, I'd say I enjoyed this one the most. Great work.

Edit: Your m3u has absolute links to your personal directory structure.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 12-08-06 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-08-06, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, well well, I somehow figured out how to do the win rar zip file thing after a few hours (i started looking about 12:30 and its now almost 3:20)
So, bus, I'll send you an email tonight (or tomorrow morning). I'll still make all the cd's for those that want it, it just might take a little bit of time, I should have it by next week though)
Old 12-08-06, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Bus, I enjoyed your mix. I can't comment about the flow so much because I listened over three sittings (have to relisten in one go later).

Spoiler:
I like the electronic songs you included the most. The Russian Futurists and Tocotronic were really cool songs. And that Beta Band song really threw me off! I have a few of their albums, but I must have missed this song somehow... I wouldn't have guessed it to be them because of the mix (rap). Love seeing "Ceremony" by New Order get some play. It's in "Marie Antoinette" as well. And since two of you used Asobi Seksu I see it's time to go investigate some more.
Old 12-08-06, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

atlantamoi:

Spoiler:
Asobi Seksu is one of my favorite "new" (to me) bands from this year. Most of their songs are in that same style. I was almost going to put in a Cocteau Twins song right after theirs. I'm seeing them live on Saturday night.
Old 12-08-06, 08:03 AM

The Bus, whatever you've sent isn't reaching me. Can someone on the mail list forward me the addresses? I'd like to mail my discs out... scorpionandfrog AT hotmail.com

thanks...
Old 12-08-06, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

look4sheep - 12.04.06

Spoiler:
This is a fun album. The songs aren't very deep, but it's energetic and fun to listen to while working. I hadn't given much thought to the good Reverend since burping and farting his way through "The Entertainer" on the previous album, but I've always liked "It's Martini Time". I could do without hearing Cake's "I Will Survive" ever again in my life (not that the song's bad, just that I'm tired of hearing it). "Blue Moon Revisited" is nice, but as you warned, it's a little too quiet. I was saddened to find that "Destination Unknown" wasn't the Marietta song. "Woah-oh-oh-oh-o-oh ... destination unknoo-o-own!" I'm not sure about the flow, and there are a few songs that don't seem to fit, but overall it's great light fun, and I really enjoyed listening to it.

das
Old 12-08-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
No one loves me .
Old 12-08-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't say that. I'm sure someone loves you, just no one in this thread.

das
Old 12-08-06, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Don't say that. I'm sure someone loves you, just no one in this thread.

das
Yikes. The Beatles were right. Happiness is a warm gun.
Old 12-08-06, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

DVD Josh - DVD Josh’s Block of Rock

Apt title.
Spoiler:
This mix is packed with artists I like, but with a lot of songs that don't do much for me. Still, I like the start with "I Turn My Camera On", and scattered about are some really nice gems. For fun, sing the lyrics of "Beautiful Oblivion" to the tune of "Enemy". I think as a "mix", it may be too much of the same thing for me. I enjoy rock, but I'm not sure I was prepared to rock this long. Whereas some of the other mixes exist on an attentive start-to-finish level, this is more of a background mix, maybe something you'd listen to in an active work environment and turn it up from time to time to rock out. That's not a criticism, just a different approach. Thanks for sharing it with us.

das
Old 12-08-06, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by das Monkey
DVD Josh - DVD Josh’s Block of Rock

Apt title.
Spoiler:
This mix is packed with artists I like, but with a lot of songs that don't do much for me. Still, I like the start with "I Turn My Camera On", and scattered about are some really nice gems. For fun, sing the lyrics of "Beautiful Oblivion" to the tune of "Enemy". I think as a "mix", it may be too much of the same thing for me. I enjoy rock, but I'm not sure I was prepared to rock this long. Whereas some of the other mixes exist on an attentive start-to-finish level, this is more of a background mix, maybe something you'd listen to in an active work environment and turn it up from time to time to rock out. That's not a criticism, just a different approach. Thanks for sharing it with us.

das
Thanks for taking the time Das. I agree with your criticism. For the next one, I will pay more attention to making it a cohesive "mix" and not a "collection", which I feel this was more like.
Old 12-08-06, 11:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
look4sheep

Spoiler:

I can't say I personally dig the "neo-swing" stuff, but it's not bad. I hadn't heard that Smashing Pumpkins song since I had the "Aeroplane Flies High" box set, which I sold for less than $40 CAD. Damn you for bringing up that memory.

I've never heard of Scarling, but they're pretty good! I may have to check out more of their stuff.

definitely a decent mix, even if I don't particularly enjoy most of the genre it focuses on.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.