Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

KISSology Vol. 2 - What will be on it?

Old 11-04-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

KISSology Vol. 2 - What will be on it? (Now we know...)

I was giving some thought yesterday to what I'd like to see on KISSology Vol. 2 (1978-1992), and it ends up being a pretty big list.

I don't know if they'll go to 3 discs for this set (which they SHOULD considering it covers 15 years), but here are some possibilities...

(And, truth be told, I wish they could include all of this...)

That's a lot of stuff, and maybe they'll use some of it as "bonus discs" like they did for the current release, but I'd hate to see any of that stuff left out.

My preference is for the Animalize, Hot in the Shade, and Revenge shows. The band really was firing on all cylinders on those tours, and the stage sets were fantastic.

Last edited by B5Erik; 06-23-07 at 10:42 PM.
    Old 11-04-06, 09:50 AM
    DVD Talk Godfather

I may have missed this in the other thread but have they ever released KISS' 80's performance on Solid Gold??

I see you already mentioned the Friday's performance. That show was what let me know Friday's was The Coolest late night show on tv. I mean SNL would NEVER have KISS on. Hell, even Mad TV had KISS on....

Last edited by Giantrobo; 11-04-06 at 09:52 AM.
    Old 11-04-06, 09:52 AM
    DVD Talk Legend

I've got a really nice pro-shot Crazy Nights show from Philadelphia. That should definitely be on there.

The 79 Largo show is pretty good too, but I'm hoping that vol. 2 has more non-makeup stuff on it. Maybe 79 Largo will be another bonus disc.
    Old 11-04-06, 10:20 AM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Knowing the current pro-makeup bias that exists I don't think there's anyway that a full make-up concert isn't included. Largo '79 makes the most sense, although it will be interesting to see what they have of Rio '83 (I still say the sound is poor for that show, though).

And, Giantrobo - if memory serves the Solid Gold '81 was just the video for "A World Without Heroes," which would become expendable if they include the actual live performance from Fridays (which I really hope they do - it was as good as the Midnight Special performance).

I still wonder why "Deuce" from Midnight Special didn't make it on Vol. 1. (???)

At any rate, the shows that are essential to me are Animalize Live Uncensored, the Hot In The Shade Tour, and the American leg of the Revenge Tour.

I wonder if they shot any of the Revenge club shows?
    Old 11-04-06, 10:58 AM

Anyone know when it will be out?
    Old 11-04-06, 11:32 AM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd only be getting vol 2 for the Dynasty/Unmasked stuff. That Tom Snider show is just about the funniest thing I've ever seen. You can see Gene just fuming behind his makeup. Ace & Peter are having a blast.

Tom: So Ace, you're the Spaceman?

Ace: No, actually I'm a plumber.

Tom: Well then I got a pipe for you to clean...
    Old 11-04-06, 11:56 AM
    DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm disappointed that Vol 2 will cover such a long period. I'm a big fan of the 80's non-make-up KISS and that era always gets overlooked.

I think they should have Vol. 2 78-82 and Vol 3 83-90 and Vol 4 90-now

as far as concerts, you have to have Dynasty 79, Australia 80, the Creatures of the Night tour Rio show, Animalize Detriot, Crazy Nights Japan or UK, Hot in the Shade, and of course the Revenge tour. I wish there was a good pro-shot Asylum tour concert out there somewhere!
    Old 11-04-06, 07:51 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by turborobb
    I wish there was a good pro-shot Asylum tour concert out there somewhere!
    You and me both! That was a GREAT tour! Maybe they could include some really good quality bootleg footage of the Asylum tour as a bonus/easter egg.

My hope is that we see the concerts that I listed above as MY picks for "must have" in the set.
    Old 11-05-06, 06:53 AM
    DVD Talk Hero

I'm also a bit disappointed that Vol. 2 will be covering such a broad area of the band's career.

You guys are also forgetting about all of the videos they shot in that era: I Love it Loud, Heaven's On Fire, Lick It Up, Tears are Falling, Uh! All Night, Crazy Nights, Reason to Live, Let's Put the X in Sex, You Make Me Rock Hard, Hide Your Heart, Forever, God Gave Rock and Roll to You, Unholy, Domino, I Just Wanna... even though most of these videos aren't much I would still expect them to be included in the set if it's supposed to be complete. (And I'm sure there a few I couldn't recall.)

I also don't think they should include '92 on there since that was the beginning of their big comeback. Seems weird that the third volume of the set will be devoted mostly to the post-Revenge new make-up years, which isn't really a lot of ground to cover. That's what... MTV Unplugged, Psycho Circus, and Carnival of Souls? How the fuck are they going to make a volume III out of so little material? Never mind that Psycho Circus and Carnival of Souls aren't particularly good.

Look at '78-92... that covers a lot of ground: The MTV years, KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park, the disintegration of the original band, their revolving door guitarists in the early 80s, and 14 albums: the four solo albums, Dynasty, Unamsked, The Elder, Creatures of the Night, Animalize, Lick It Up, Asylum, Crazy Nights, Hot in the Shade, and Revenge.

There's a shitload of history right there, and I'm not sure how they can do it on a two-DVD set between all of the videos, concerts, live performances, interviews, etc.
    Old 11-05-06, 09:25 AM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd rather have full concerts than videos of songs.
    Old 11-05-06, 09:51 AM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, they've already released more than one DVD compilation of their promo videos from the 80's and 90's, so including those is REALLY redundant and would take up unnecessary disc time.

I doubt that they'll do that.
    Old 06-05-07, 09:33 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

A little bump for some info. It's apparently confirmed that the 1980 Sydney show from the Australian "Unmasked" Tour will be included. I'm very happy about that. Also a bit of info from a recent Bruce Kulick interview:

Monday, June 04, 2007 1:19:55 PM - Sydney '80 confirmed for KISSology Volume II...
    (From: http://www.getalifeinc.com/) (File under anything can still change!) "We have just added a special surprise from VH1 Classic and KISS Catalogue Ltd. a special screening of the Sydney, Australia 11/22/80 show. This special DVD is part of the upcoming release of KISSology 2 DVD Set which will be released in the fall of 2007. The Sydney show will feature digitally restored video and 5.1 audio mix to stunning sound and picture quality on a 9 foot screen! Relive this fantastic moment in KISStory as KISSteria takes over the Inner Sanctum! Track list includes the following: Detroit Rock City, Cold Gin, Strutter, Shandi, Calling Dr. Love, Firehouse, Talk To Me, Is That You, I Was Made For Lovin' You, Love Gun, Rock And Roll All Nite and Black Diamond." Lucky those who'll be attending the St. Louis KISS Expo on June 24, 2007!

Additionally, Bruce Kulick recently told Jim Ousley in an interview: "I do have some news on the upcoming KISSology 2 DVD; it's really going to be incredible. I recently got a sneak preview of some of it. A couple of the guys from MTV came over and I recorded a commentary track for a couple of the concerts that I appeared on. The first KISSology went from 1974 to 1977. KISSology 2 picks up in 1978 and goes to 1995 for the reunion. So basically it starts on the solo records, and goes into the Vinnie Vincent era, taking off the makeup, then on to the time I joined the band. Some of the concerts featured are from the Creatures of the Night tour and the Hot in the Shade tour, and they're really well shot. So much better than the bootlegs out there."

There's also some unconfirmed suggestion that there will be bonus discs with this set leading to all sorts of possibilities for partial shows! Time will tell...

http://www.kissfaq.com/news/index.html

I'm a big fan of the 1978-81 era, so I can't wait for this to come out.
    Old 06-06-07, 05:13 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

I was just thinking about this last night. Glad to see at least one non-makeup and previously unreleased concert has made it onto Vol. 2.
    Old 06-06-07, 09:08 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interesting - that cover says 1978-1991.

That would make sense. Throw the Revenge era in with the Reunion era as most fans saw Revenge as a return to classic form.

They've GOT to include a Revenge show on one of these DVD's (and not the ALIVE III soundtrack with fan cam shot stuff, either).
    Old 06-22-07, 12:44 PM

Hey all, sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything.

Anyway, here's what seems to be the official listing for KISSology 2, from the sale sheet (which can be viewed here and here ):

DISC ONE:

"Land of Hype and Glory With Edwin Newman" (1/10/78)
    KISS in Attack of the Phantoms (1979 theatrical version)
    "The Tomorrow Show With Tom Snyder" (10/31/79)

DISC TWO:

"Shandi" music video (1980)
    CNN interview w/ Peter Criss (9/24/80)
    "Countdown" (9/21/80)
    "Rockpop" - She's So European/Talk to Me (9/13/80)
    "KISS Invades Australia" Documentary
    Concert: Sydney Showground - Sydney, Australia (11/22/80)
    "Fridays" - The Oath/A World Without Heroes/I (1/15/82)
    "Top Pop" - I Love It Loud (11/82)

DISC THREE:

Concert: Maracana Stadium - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil (6/18/83)
    MTV Special: KISS Unmasking (9/18/83)
    Cascais Hall - Lisbon, Portugal - Creatures of the Night/Detroit Rock City (10/11/83)
    Concert: The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA (12/18/87)
    Concert: The Palace - Detroit, MI (10/14/90)
    "God Gave Rock N Roll to You" music video (1991)
    MTV News "Day in Rock" excerpt (11/25/91)

DISC FOUR (BONUS):

Concert: Budokan Hall - Tokyo, Japan (4/21/88)

-----------------------

Since this sale sheet has came out, kissonline.com has listed the contents, but now has disc one with a "more details soon" tag attached, and it seems that either the movie may wind up disappearing, or more will be added to the first disc.

Anyway, just thought some here would be interested.
    Old 06-22-07, 01:04 PM
    DVD Talk Platinum Edition

LOL the movie! That will be hilariously lame and awesome at the same time

What I really want to see is concert footage from the Dynasty/Unmasked "SUPERKISS" era, The costumes were so out there...
    Old 06-22-07, 01:21 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad Kiss Meets the Phantom is going to be on there. I meant to buy it when it was briefly released on dvd but took my time. It was pulled due to rights issues (at least what I read) right after it was released.

Can't wait for the new set.
    Old 06-23-07, 10:13 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's the official "tracklist" at this point (note: No KISS Meets the Phantom listed officially - yet):

Disk One

Land Of Hype And Glory with Edwin Newman – (1/10/78)
    The Tomorrow Show With Tom Snyder – (10/31/79)
    Additional material pending

Disk Two
    Shandi (music video) – (1980)
    CNN Interview with Peter Criss – (9/24/80)
    Countdown – (9/21/80)
    Rockpop – (9/13/80) playing She’s So European, Talk To Me
    KISS Invades Australia – (11/80) Documentary
    Sydney Showground: Sydney, Australia – (11/22/80)
    Detroit Rock City, Cold Gin, Strutter, Shandi, Calling Dr. Love, Firehouse, Talk To Me, Is That You, 2000 Man, I Was Made For Lovin’ You, New York Groove, Love Gun, God Of Thunder, Rock And Roll All Nite, Shout It Out Loud, King Of The Night Time World, Black Diamond
    Fridays – (1/15/82) playing The Oath, A World Without Heroes and I
    Top Pop – (11/82) playing I Love It Loud
    Disk Three

Maracana Stadium: Rio De Janeiro, Brazil –(6/18/83)
    Creatures Of The Night, Cold Gin, Calling Dr. Love, Firehouse, I Love It Loud, War Machine, Black Diamond, Rock And Roll All Nite
    MTV Special: KISS Unmasking –(9/18/83)
    Cascais Hall: Lisbon, Portugal – (10/11/83)
    Creatures Of The Night, Detroit Rock City
    The Spectrum: Philadelphia, PA – (12/18/87)
    Love Gun, Bang Bang You, No, No, No, Crazy Crazy Nights, Reason To Live
    The Palace At Auburn Hills: Detroit, MI – (10/14/90)
    I Stole Your Love, Deuce, Heaven’s On Fire, Crazy Crazy Nights, Black Diamond, Shout It Out Loud, Strutter, Calling Dr. Love, I Was Made For Lovin’ You, Fits Like A Glove, Hide Your Heart, Lick It Up, God Of, Thunder, Forever, Cold Gin, Tears Are Falling, I Love It Loud, Love Gun, Detroit Rock City, I Want You, Rock And Roll All Nite
    Music Video – (1991): God Gave Rock ‘N’ Roll To You II
    Day In Rock – (11/25/91): MTV News excerpt

Man, this looks GREAT!! It's got everything that I wanted! (With the exception of Animalize Live Unsensored - odd that it wasn't included...) I can't wait to pick this up! I'm glad 1991 is the cutoff - that way the Revenge era will get a decent amount of time on Vol. 3!

Last edited by B5Erik; 06-23-07 at 10:16 PM.
    Old 06-24-07, 10:43 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Looks great, can't wait! The only thing that seems very conspicuous in it's absence is the 1979 "Largo" show. I have it on video and would love to upgrade. Hopefully it will be an exclusive disc for someone (I wonder if they will do 3 different exclusives like last time?)

Originally Posted by lugnut2099
    KISS in Attack of the Phantoms (1979 theatrical version)
    If this is true, it would be awesome. I never even dreamed this could possibly be included, especially this European theatrical version of the film (which I only have as a very poor VHS boot). Fingers crossed!
    Old 06-28-07, 10:39 AM
    DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like there will be more bonus discs again. From billboard.com.....

Kiss will follow up its wildly successful 2006 DVD box set, "Kissology: Volume One, 1974-1977," on Aug. 14 with a second volume chronicling 1978-1991 via VH1 Classic Records.

"It's fantastic that 'Volume One' of 'Kissology' has done huge numbers, but does it surprise me? No, not at all," Kiss guitarist Tommy Thayer tells Billboard.com. "This is Kiss in its early raw form, four guys with the hunger and fire, aspiring to take on the world. All this great footage is finally available and it's exciting."

"Volume Two" will be comprised of three DVDs and a fourth disc that will vary by retailer. The first disc will feature a news special on the band from 1978 and an infamous 1979 interview with Tom Snyder, with other elements still pending, according to Kiss' Web site.

The second disc shows Kiss in transition, as it features the last promo video to with original drummer Peter Criss ("Shandi"). His replacement, Eric Carr, is behind the kit for a complete November 1980 concert at Australi's Sydney Showground. Also included are the only live renditions of material from the strangest studio album to bear the Kiss logo, "(Music From) The Elder," taped on the late-night show "Fridays" in 1982.

Disc three chronicles Kiss' comeback via a mammoth outdoor gig in Rio de Janeiro from June 1983, one of its last in makeup. Also included is Kiss' infamous "unmasking" on MTV from later that year, a handful of performances from the Lick It Up and Crazy Nights tours and a full 1990 show from Detroit.

Asked why "Volume 2" doesn't include any complete shows from the Lick It Up or Asylum tours, Thayer explains, "We chose the best songs from those concerts. Remember, the 'Volume Two' DVD is over seven hours long and from tour to tour, many of the same songs are played, so you have to pick the choice songs and moments without being too repetitive. When you create a DVD package there are time considerations -- you can only physically put so much on a DVD disc, and each volume of 'Kissology' is designed in advance to be a three-disc set."
    Old 06-28-07, 10:54 AM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dubya
    The first disc will feature a news special on the band from 1978 and an infamous 1979 interview with Tom Snyder, with other elements still pending, according to Kiss' Web site.
    It's basically 6 weeks away. Shouldn't they know for sure by now? I mean, the masters should be at the DVD pressing plant at this moment!
    Old 06-28-07, 03:35 PM
    DVD Talk Special Edition

as a big fan of the 80's non-make up KISS I'm sad that era only gets stuck together on one disc. There are so many great shows during that era.

It should be Vol. 2 : 1978-1982 and Vol. 3 : 1983-1991
    Old 06-28-07, 04:39 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B5Erik
    I can't wait to pick this up! I'm glad 1991 is the cutoff - that way the Revenge era will get a decent amount of time on Vol. 3!

Yeah, right. Vol. 3 will be all reunion era shit, as if that hasn't already been extensively covered.
    Old 06-28-07, 10:31 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jason

Yeah, right. Vol. 3 will be all reunion era shit, as if that hasn't already been extensively covered.
    Vol. 3 will have an entire Revenge concert, their appearances on Arsenio Hall and Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve, and maybe something from one of their South American shows from '94, then discs 2 & 3 will be all Reunion Era.

They might also include the Unplugged show in its entirety as well - you never know.

For right now I'm digging the stuff on Vol. 2! (I can't wait to see what the bonus discs will have...)
    Old 06-29-07, 10:08 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

BONUS DISC NEWS!!!!!!!!

"Inside sources confirm that, like Vol. 1, there will, in fact, be three different limited edition “4th bonus discs” in the initial pressings of KISSOLOGY Vol. 2. Retailer details are not confirmed at this time. The shows to be featured are:

Capital Centre – Largo, MD – 7/7/79 (Dynasty Tour) [track listing forthcoming, though ALL 4 solo albums songs will be included]

Budokan Hall – Tokyo Japan – 4/21/88 (Crazy Nights Tour)

The Ritz – New York City – 8/13/88 (Crazy Nights Tour)

Everyone should feel confident that no matter where they go within the first week or two of release, they’ll get a 4 disc version. Excitement and value are big considerations for everyone involved in the KISSOLOGY series. For those interested in all three bonus discs, specific retailer details will be forthcoming."
    I had a feeling that the Largo '79 show would be one of them - but I was hoping for Animalize Live Uncensored as another. Oh, well - the Tokyo '88 & Ritz '88 shows were pretty phenomenal, so I may just have to buy all three!

Last edited by B5Erik; 06-29-07 at 10:16 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.