DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   PJ Harvey The Peel Sessions 1991-2004 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/482576-pj-harvey-peel-sessions-1991-2004-a.html)

RobertinDetroit 11-02-06 08:46 PM

PJ Harvey The Peel Sessions 1991-2004

Here's some good release news:

http://www.pjharvey.net/

PJ Harvey - The Peel Sessions 1991 - 2004 will be released, in conjunction with the BBC, by Island Records on 23rd October 2006.

A collection of P J Harvey’s Peel Sessions will be released for the first time, during a month of commemorative events, to mark the second anniversary of the inspirational broadcaster's death.

Available on CD and vinyl formats, the twelve tracks, chosen by Polly, span her career; from early versions of the songs on debut album Dry (1992) to her seventh album Uh Huh Her, released in 2004.

Harvey recorded many sessions with John Peel over the years. Of the release, Lousie Kattenhorn, John’s Producer, said 'John loved the sessions and was thrilled to have Polly record so many for his show. He considered her a wonderful artist and they were great friends. It's fantastic that they're coming out on CD’

The full tracklisting is:

Peel 29.10.91
1. Oh My Lover
2. Victory
3. Sheela-Na-Gig
4. Water

Peel 2.3.93
5. Naked Cousin
6. Wang Dang Doodle

Peel 5.9.96
7. Losing Ground
8. Snake
9. That Was My Veil

Peel 10.11.00
10. This Wicked Tongue
11. Beautiful Feeling

John Peel Tribute 16.12.04
12. You Come Through

wendersfan 11-02-06 09:56 PM

Sweet!

The Antipodean 11-03-06 02:23 AM

If there's one good thing to come of Peel's death its the flood of CDs compiling some of his amazing shows over the years. Can't wait to hear this one.

fuzzbox 11-03-06 08:28 AM

No love for ANYTHING off of "Rid Of Me"?

-jason

brokenhanger 11-04-06 12:56 PM

It is absolutely ridiculous that this thing is only 12 tracks long - she did a TON of Peel Sessions, and many of them are represented here by a track or two, so it's not a rights issue holding them back. Even worse, the 2.3.93 sessions [represented here by 'Wang Dang Doodle' - this exact version already available on the 'Man-Size' single - and 'Naked Cousin'] was 4 songs long - the other two, 'Claudine My Inflatable One' and 'Primed and Ticking', have never seen release. [Well, outside of 'Primed and Ticking' on the "Reeling with PJ Harvey" VHS which is l-o-n-g out of print with no DVD release in sight.] And both are fantastic songs. And then no 'Nickle Under the Foot' either. Boo.

1 track from "Rid of Me" - and 'Snake' at that? Nothing from "To Bring You My Love" or "Is This Desire?" but two "Dance Hall at Louse Point" tracks? Who compiled this thing? Well, she did, but what was she thinking?

That said, I'll be there Tuesday picking it up...grumbling all the way. At least it's got 'Naked Cousin'.

RobertinDetroit 11-06-06 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by fuzzbox
No love for ANYTHING off of "Rid Of Me"?

-jason

Are you kidding me??

fuzzbox 11-06-06 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by RobertinDetroit
Are you kidding me??

my mistake- there's one song, but it's from so late in the album that I forgot it.

But i'm shocked that not one of these songs made the cut:

Rid of me
Missed
Yuri-G
Dry
Rib it till it bleeds

just my opinion- I like all of those more than Snake.

-jason

brokenhanger 11-07-06 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by fuzzbox
my mistake- there's one song, but it's from so late in the album that I forgot it.

But i'm shocked that not one of these songs made the cut:

Rid of me
Missed
Yuri-G
Dry
Rib it till it bleeds

just my opinion- I like all of those more than Snake.

-jason

The trouble being, of course, most of these were ever performed during a Peel session. ;) But I agree - 'Snake' has always been one of my least favorite tracks on the album.

I did pick this up today, and despite all of it's shortcomings it is a fantastic little album. [Well, outside of 'This Is My Veil' and 'Losing Ground' - they're even weaker when sandwiched between the '92 and '00 session.] Far too short and maddeningly incomplete, but better than nothing I suppose. The acoustic version of 'You Come Through' at the end is worth the price alone.