Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Andy Taylor leaves DuranDuran. Again!

Old 10-26-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Andy Taylor leaves DuranDuran. Again!

I beleive he was the first one to leave last time.
From DuranDuran.com

"A Message to our Fans
To Our Fans

We know that there has been a tremendous amount of speculation over the past few weeks regarding Andy Taylor's continued involvement with the band and we are sorry that we've been unable to provide you with more information until now. The past five years have been an incredible journey for us all - and having the original five back together was something that we had wanted to see happen for some time. As of last weekend, however, the four of us have dissolved our partnership and will be continuing as Duran Duran without Andy, as we have reached a point in our relationship with him where there is an unworkable gulf between us and we can no longer effectively function together. Although obviously disappointed and saddened about this, we are excited about the next chapter of the Duran Duran story and look forward to seeing you all soon.

Simon, John, Nick and Roger

[posted 10/25/2006 U.S.A.]"

Makes for interesting reading!
Old 10-26-06, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It just gets sadder and sadder for this band. "Astronaut" and it's tour were not the comeback they were probably hoping for. "Sunrise" was the only single off the album to barely make a blip on the radar here in the U.S. And did any of their shows sell out? The one in D.C. wasn't even close according to a friend who went. She said the venue was half full. In their next chapter, they are collaborating with producer Timberlake on their next album. Which is widely rumored why Andy Taylor left. Who was the genius who came up with THIS idea!? I personally thought "Astronaut" was crap. With two or three good songs. One of them not being "Sunrise". The Big Screen Store is using Duran Duran singing that live on their commercials lately. Why, I don't know. They just look and sound so tired. Personally, I think they should just pack it in.
Old 10-26-06, 11:19 PM

I loved the song andy had on the American Anthem soundrack
Old 10-27-06, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Daytripper
In their next chapter, they are collaborating with producer Timberlake on their next album. Which is widely rumored why Andy Taylor left.
That would make sense...

Andy's solo debut Thunder is pretty good.
Old 10-27-06, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's so funny. DD had been on my mind a lot for the past few days then this. I must be Psychic.....
Old 10-27-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah I'd been wondering what they were up to myself lately. I enjoyed their last CD and hope the next one is at least as good or better.
Old 10-27-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Duran Duran is still together!??!

The most I've ever seen or heard of any of them doing anything in the past 10 years was John doing Neurotic Outsiders (with the singer of Duran Duran jumping up onstage to do a few songs) who were amazing.
Old 10-27-06, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw them early on when they reunited at the Hard Rock Hotel, (way before the Astrosuck album came out) and they were really good. Too bad what drove Andy away this time, was probably the same thing that drove him away originally. (Them wanting to make poppy/sucky albums)
Old 10-27-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I saw them early on when they reunited at the Hard Rock Hotel, (way before the Astrosuck album came out) and they were really good. Too bad what drove Andy away this time, was probably the same thing that drove him away originally. (Them wanting to make poppy/sucky albums)

"Astrosuck", LOL! Yeah, they can't even come up with a decent name for an album. That's the best they could do? Especially for their first album with the original line-up. So sad.

I did see that Hard Rock Cafe performance. Was on VH-1 right? That had Warren Cuccurullo when he was still with them. If so, that was actually a damn good show. Surprisingly so. I believe that was in support of their album "Pop Trash". Which was also not very good. But that was the last collaboration with Warren. Maybe he'll come back now that Andy is gone.
Old 10-27-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Astrosuck" is not the real name, it was called "Astronaut". It was supposed to be a joke.
I actually liked that album and saw them twice with the original line up. Enjoyed the hell out of both shows. I too am worried about the next album, but I will wait till it comes out to totally slate it!
Old 10-27-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't really been into the band's later albums, but after seeing the 2005 concert when it aired on the hi-def TV station a couple months ago---I was hooked, and went out and got the DVD. They sound GREAT (better than they did in the 80's), and the song selection was awesome---a lot of stuff off their first two albums (even Night Boat).
Old 10-27-06, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jdslater1
"Astrosuck" is not the real name, it was called "Astronaut". It was supposed to be a joke.
I actually liked that album and saw them twice with the original line up. Enjoyed the hell out of both shows. I too am worried about the next album, but I will wait till it comes out to totally slate it!
Uh, yeah. I know what the real name of the album is. As you can see in my first post.
Old 10-28-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry Daytripper, didn't see that!
Old 10-28-06, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm quitting Duran Duran... I want you to take my place, Barney.
Old 10-30-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've seen DD 4 or 5 times in the past 5 years. Every time I've seen them...in BIG auditorium shows ...the seats have been near or completely full. In fact, I saw them just days ago for the grand opening of the Sears Centre in Chicago, which is an 11,000 seat arena. The upper deck seats were not even available to purchase, but the rest of the arena was packed...and at $75 a ticket, I think they're doing alright.

As far as their new music goes, yeah, the album only has two or three good songs, but that's the way they've been doing it for decades. When I go to the show I go for "Wild Boys" and "Hold Back The Rain" and "Hungry Like The Wolf" and "Friends Of Mine" and "The Chauffeur" and "Girls On Film" and "View To A Kill", etc., etc...all of which they did last week. And frankly, Simon looked better last week than at any of the previous shows I've seen in the last 10 years or so. Lots of energy. They put on a hell of a show, and I'll be going until they stop.

As far as Andy leaving goes, it doesn't faze me one way or the other. He's always been the most disposable member to me and I don't really think that he brings much to the table. He was always a hard rocker that somehow wound up in a pop band, and never stopped regretting it.
Old 10-30-06, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho

I'm quitting Duran Duran... I want you to take my place, Barney.
I'm disappointed that it took 14 posts to bring that up. First thing I thought of. I guess this isn't Other.
Old 10-30-06, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I've seen DD 4 or 5 times in the past 5 years. Every time I've seen them...in BIG auditorium shows ...the seats have been near or completely full. In fact, I saw them just days ago for the grand opening of the Sears Centre in Chicago, which is an 11,000 seat arena. The upper deck seats were not even available to purchase, but the rest of the arena was packed...and at $75 a ticket, I think they're doing alright.

As far as their new music goes, yeah, the album only has two or three good songs, but that's the way they've been doing it for decades. When I go to the show I go for "Wild Boys" and "Hold Back The Rain" and "Hungry Like The Wolf" and "Friends Of Mine" and "The Chauffeur" and "Girls On Film" and "View To A Kill", etc., etc...all of which they did last week. And frankly, Simon looked better last week than at any of the previous shows I've seen in the last 10 years or so. Lots of energy. They put on a hell of a show, and I'll be going until they stop.

As far as Andy leaving goes, it doesn't faze me one way or the other. He's always been the most disposable member to me and I don't really think that he brings much to the table. He was always a hard rocker that somehow wound up in a pop band, and never stopped regretting it.
Def agree with you on that last paragraph. I've seen them 3 times now. Twice at Wembley and they all have been sell outs. The 1st time I saw DD they had Warren on lead and to be honest, I couldn't tell the difference!
To me he has always been the most independent of the group and I'm sure he will still get enough money from royalties to keep him going.
I've always found there are about 4-5 tracks that I like per album and just listen to them to death.
Strange that you should mention "The Chauffeur", I used to never give this track a chance, now it's in my top 5 of DD songs. The live version they done was one of the best things I have ever heard at a concert.
Also "Save a prayer" played live is a wonderful thing, love the slow sparkles on the back screens. A thing of beauty!
Old 10-31-06, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw them last year and it was the most fun I've ever had at a concert. I would definitely like to see them again.
Old 11-03-06, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I beleive he was the first one to leave last time.
Nah, Roger was first, then Andy. Andy's always been a rock star in a pop band (as has been mentioned), but Roger was the first to leave, as he has\had horrible bouts of stage fright (and an overall fear of being a public figure).
Old 11-03-06, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
I haven't really been into the band's later albums, but after seeing the 2005 concert when it aired on the hi-def TV station a couple months ago---I was hooked, and went out and got the DVD. They sound GREAT (better than they did in the 80's), and the song selection was awesome---a lot of stuff off their first two albums (even Night Boat).
I saw them live a couple years ago (always wanted to see the original lineup and couldn't go when they came to Ohio in '84) and it was a great show. I picked up the 'Live From London' DVD of the Wembley show(s) and the band sounds better than they did at their height in the 80's.

I actually think Andy brings an element to DD that is sorely missing when he's not there. He brings a little 'rock' to the fold that Warren C. never really did.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Glad I got to see it at least once.