DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   The Cure: Festival DVD Dec. 5th (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/481273-cure-festival-dvd-dec-5th.html)

dvduser6 10-19-06 10:06 PM

The Cure: Festival DVD Dec. 5th

New live Cure footage will be released this December by Suretone Records:

On December 5th The Cure will release a new DVD entitled 'Festival 2005'. This 30 song DVD is a wonderful reminder of how and why The Cure remain one of the most influential bands on the planet.

In 2005 a nascent Cure trio of Robert Smith, Simon Gallup and Jason Cooper celebrated the return of former guitarist Porl Thompson with a series of nine eclectic headline festival shows across Europe (Spain, Belgium, France, Germany, Switzerland, Sicily, Hungary, Greece, and Turkey). The DVD was edited by Daren Butler and mixed by Keith Uddin in collaboration with Robert Smith.

TRACK LISTING:
01. OPEN
02. FASCINATION STREET
03. alt.end
04. THE BLOOD
05. A NIGHT LIKE THIS
06. THE END OF THE WORLD
07. IF ONLY TONIGHT WE COULD SLEEP
08. THE KISS
09. SHAKE DOG SHAKE
10. US OR THEM
11. NEVER ENOUGH
12. THE FIGUREHEAD
13. A STRANGE DAY
14. PUSH
15. JUST LIKE HEAVEN
16. INBETWEEN DAYS
17. FROM THE EDGE OF THE DEEP GREEN SEA
18. THE DROWNING MAN
19. SIGNAL TO NOISE
20. THE BABY SCREAMS
21. ONE HUNDRED YEARS
22. SHIVER AND SHAKE
23. END

ENCORES
24. AT NIGHT
25. M
26. PLAY FOR TODAY
27. A FOREST
28. PLAINSONG
29. DISINTEGRATION
30. FAITH

Arpeggi 10-19-06 11:22 PM

A Forest, damn. Must-have!

Hiro11 10-20-06 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jippy
02. FASCINATION STREET
04. THE BLOOD
05. A NIGHT LIKE THIS
08. THE KISS
13. A STRANGE DAY
14. PUSH
15. JUST LIKE HEAVEN
16. INBETWEEN DAYS
17. FROM THE EDGE OF THE DEEP GREEN SEA
21. ONE HUNDRED YEARS
22. SHIVER AND SHAKE
24. AT NIGHT
26. PLAY FOR TODAY
27. A FOREST
28. PLAINSONG
29. DISINTEGRATION
30. FAITH

All of those songs will be great live... definitely getting this. I likedTrilogy a lot.

DVD Josh 10-20-06 08:27 AM

I didn't care for Trilogy, but this looks like a better setlist. Haven't heard many of those songs live. Any DVD details besides the tracklist?

dvduser6 10-20-06 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I didn't care for Trilogy, but this looks like a better setlist. Haven't heard many of those songs live. Any DVD details besides the tracklist?

That's all I've found so far. I imagine more details will be revealed heading into November. Curious about any extras and the audio options, as well.

megashock5 10-23-06 09:17 AM

Any word of 'Show' ever making it to DVD? It was a theatrical release, I would have expected it by now.

DJLinus 12-04-06 08:00 PM

Just a heads-up that Best Buy will have this on sale for $9.99 this week.

Money's kind of tight, what with it being Christmastime, but I may have to find some funds to buy this.

scarredgod 12-04-06 11:25 PM

not a huge fan but i do plan on picking this up for 9.99 tomorrow.

according to the box cover at amazon, some of it is fan shot, hopefully that wont suck too much.

musick 12-05-06 12:23 AM

great price at BB this week but as much as I think Porl is brilliant I'll stick to the fantastic "Trilogy" dvd release until I hear more about the quality of this release (yes, material was fan shot)

The Cure Ready Live DVD Shot by Fans

Check your clocks and calendars, because Festival 2005 is set to land in, yes, 2006. Your favorite mascara'd mopers the Cure have unveiled the release of a new live DVD by that bland-ass name, due December 5 on Suretone/Geffen Records.
The folks behind the film culled footage from the band's nine-date series of European festival appearances last year. At these events, band members, crew, and a few very lucky fans received video cameras to document the Cure's wily onstage exploits. At the time, the band was celebrating the return of guitarist Porl Thompson.

This material-- in addition to video taken with professional cameras-- was mixed together to form the 30-track DVD that is Festival 2005. Daren Butler handled editing duties, while Keith Uddin mixed in collaboration with Robert Smith.
Sounds like it will be the perfect remedy for all those A Christmas Story marathons.

"In Orange" is what I am more excited for

Cobrachris 12-05-06 07:21 PM

Picked this up at Best Buy today. The show is in widescreen but it isn't enhanced for widescreen TVs. Audio seems pretty good though. It has both Dobly Digital and DTS.

Since Roger O'Donnell left, they are now performing without any keyboards which definitely changes the sound of some of their songs. I was surprised they played Plainsong since its such a "keyboard heavy" song but they just play the keyboard parts by using guitar effects. Kinda cool.

danstheday 12-05-06 08:26 PM

Actually this DVD looks great. There is fan shot stuff but it's incorporated very well. I was scared of what this might look like but for $9.99 I could not go wrong at best buy. The sound is EXCELLENT. The video is colorfull and clear and the colors are bright. Although I don't understand why this is widescreen and not 16x9. The back covers says it it full frame but best viewed in widescreen ??? maybe they mean to stretch/zoom it on a 16x9 screen. It also says this DVD was made to be played in the dark and to turn it up LOUD.

danstheday 12-05-06 08:42 PM

My mistake. It is widescreen and fullscreen depending on which concert is playing.

cdollaz 12-05-06 10:41 PM

This is one of the better concert DVD's I have watched in a long time. All of the effects seem to work OK, maybe it just fits well with The Cure. The last song however, sucks ass as it is just a single camera shot of the band, blurred out, in black and white, from the back of the venue. Lame-ass way to end the dvd but the rest was great. The performance is great also. Interesting to see them as a 4-piece without the keyboards. So many of these songs rock harder and have more crunch than they do on the album versions.

dvduser6 12-06-06 01:26 PM

Picked it up last night and scanned through it briefly. Great selection of tracks and it is really good to see Porl back in the band again. To me, they were never the same when he departed. Here's hoping that "Show" may see an eventual DVD release. I have a soft spot for that album and tour as I saw them three times that year. Great memories!

shaggy 12-10-06 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jippy
Picked it up last night and scanned through it briefly. Great selection of tracks and it is really good to see Porl back in the band again. To me, they were never the same when he departed. Here's hoping that "Show" may see an eventual DVD release. I have a soft spot for that album and tour as I saw them three times that year. Great memories!

Agreed. The Wish album and tour is the Cure's most underrated.

The festival DVD has a great setlist, can't wait to pick it up.

joefrog91 12-14-06 08:52 PM

Robert Smith has said he sacrificed video quality for audio quality on this DVD. I haven't watched my copy yet, but plan to this weekend.

Roger O'Donnell said The Cure was using a lot of backing tracks while he was in the band and can't imagine how many they'll use now there is no keyboardist in the group. I'm a huge Cure fan and have like all the incarnations of the group. I'm glad Porl came back, but hate that Perry was kicked out.

Robert Smith has said that all of the videos should be coming out on DVD soon, but wanted to get the festival DVD out first.

The new album has been pushed back to mid-2007.