Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Lily Allen - Alright, Still

Old 02-07-07, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit
Yeah, when I stopped by Tuesday, I noticed that. Still, it's only $9.99. It would've been nice to save an extra $2, but oh well.

And I'd love to hear her do a cover of "Everybody's Changing".

I was at Target today and saw that they had Lily's CD for $6.98....it was a listed on the sign as a temporary price cut, but not sure for how long.
Old 02-08-07, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rainmaker
I was at Target today and saw that they had Lily's CD for $6.98....it was a listed on the sign as a temporary price cut, but not sure for how long.

Sweet. Good looking out, Rainmaker. I guess I'll be making a Target run tomorrow.
Old 02-08-07, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by U6C84
Oh, man...good find! Thanks. (YouTube seems to have everything, even after Viacom and it's subsidiaries keep coming after them.)

But, I don't know. Her cover isn't all that great. Quite bad, actually.

Maybe it's because Keane's version is so good.
Old 02-08-07, 01:29 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

live it was better, more of a ragga beat to it.
Old 02-08-07, 12:32 PM
Banned

i really like her ~ i think her sound is awesome!
Old 02-08-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

She's very cute (love the accent). I was very surprised by this album; has some good buzz.

I was out across the pond for a bit and its the girls like here that I loved.
Old 02-19-07, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just got the cd today thanks to you all (i saw the cd on the new release section at record and tape traders, and remeber reading all the praises hear, even though i was there to pick up a few death metal albums). Already after one listen, I already started it over again, this is a very catchy album. The Swearing caught me a little off gaurd, but it doesn't bother me. Along with this, the Lady Sovergin, KT Tunstall and hopefully the new Joss Stone album, I've become a fan of brit pop/rap.

Last edited by Rypro 525; 02-19-07 at 01:28 AM.
Old 02-19-07, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I just got the cd today thanks to you all (i saw the cd on the new release section at record and tape traders, and remeber reading all the praises hear, even though i was there to pick up a few death metal albums). Already after one listen, I already started it over again, this is a very catchy album. The Swearing caught me a little off gaurd, but it doesn't bother me. Along with this, the Lady Sovergin, KT Tunstall and hopefully the new Joss Stone album, I've become a fan of brit pop/rap.
Alright Still is currently my fave CD. I am constantly humming tunes from it because it is so catchy. It's rare that I find a CD where I don't skip a single track. LOL I just watched the video for Alfie and it's definitely NSFW...sort of.

I haven't picked up Lady Soverign yet. I'll have to give it a listen.

Last edited by HotThang; 02-19-07 at 04:41 AM.
Old 02-19-07, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HotThang
Alright Still is currently my fave CD. I am constantly humming tunes from it because it is so catchy. It's rare that I find a CD where I don't skip a single track. LOL I just watched the video for Alfie and it's definitely NSFW...sort of.

I haven't picked up Lady Soverign yet. I'll have to give it a listen.
You may want to do some itunes samples of her stuff. Mainly either "Love me or hate me" or "Public Warning" cause I played some of her stuff with friends of mine in the car, and they even asked me to change it (rap is their favorite genere.
Old 02-20-07, 03:04 AM

You should all give Amy Winehouse a listen (she beat Lily for the best female Brit Award). She sings beautifully and her music is r&b with some jazz. Her first album Frank was mainly contemporary while her new album Back To Black is 60's girl groups inspired.

Check out:
Stronger Than Me
You Sent Me Flying
Take The Box
Rehab
Back To Black
You Know I'm No Good - incidently this song is used by Ghostface Killah with her on it for his new cd.
Old 02-20-07, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My favorite (by far!) track is "Alfie"
Old 02-23-07, 11:05 PM
Suspended

E
Old 02-24-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^
That tongue looks rather... inviting.
Old 02-24-07, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clemente
I've had the UK version for about a month or so and I quite like it. It's pop with a little bit of an edge - although I must say that having seen her, I wonder is its manufactured edge. I might not care because the music is so catchy. I'm really digging "Not Big".
I think it's probably along the same lines as how Avril Lavigne is portrayed. But I could care less about the artists image. Like you said, this is one catchy album.
Old 03-08-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

eh...
Lily Allen
w/ The Bird and The Bee & Aaron LaCrate (DJ set)
SUN. APR. 8
$25.00

I am kind of thinking back and forward if I should order tickets or not. I am not to big on DJ's and an entire 30 min set might be torture, plus I've never been to 9:30 club before (going mar 26 for lamb of god). Also, this is likely a show that will sell out within the next week or so, so should i or shouldn't i.
Old 03-08-07, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A couple of recent appearences...

She stopped by Sound Opinions for an interview and in-studio performance (good stuff).

She also was a guest DJ on All Songs Considered.
Old 05-23-07, 10:53 PM
Suspended

I saw her for a few songs at Coachella. I moved on pretty quickly. Too packed of a tent and too mediocre of a set, imo.

E
Old 05-24-07, 08:53 AM

Smile is catchy but I cannot stand this chick. She's so annoying and Alright, Still has to be the worst album I'v heard this year.
Old 05-24-07, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like the Album, and although I think Amy Winehouse Back to Black is turning into a better album for me, Lily is someone to keep an eye on. I am looking forward to album #2 to see if this fun album is due to great production, or if she has got some vision and strong songwriting skills.
Old 08-21-07, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

well, damn, i should have bought those tickets when they were on sale in march (the show sold out on me)

"British pop star Lily Allen insists she will never return to America following a recent U.S. working visa revocation. The singer was unable to renew her working visa in the States recently, reportedly because of her assault on a photographer in London earlier this year. But Allen insists she doesn't care. Speaking at England's V Festival on Sunday, she says, "I'll never go back there. The immigration officers are a bunch of w**kers."
Old 08-21-07, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
well, damn, i should have bought those tickets when they were on sale in march (the show sold out on me)

"British pop star Lily Allen insists she will never return to America following a recent U.S. working visa revocation. The singer was unable to renew her working visa in the States recently, reportedly because of her assault on a photographer in London earlier this year. But Allen insists she doesn't care. Speaking at England's V Festival on Sunday, she says, "I'll never go back there. The immigration officers are a bunch of w**kers."

I feel so much safer now, what with Lily Allen being kept out of America and all....

Old 08-21-07, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Smithers
Smile is catchy but I cannot stand this chick. She's so annoying and Alright, Still has to be the worst album I'v heard this year.
Agreed, some of her songs are ‘catchy’ & she is kind of cute but she is very annoying.
Old 08-21-07, 08:58 AM

Damn. We were looking forward to her tour, hoping she'd get around here. Guess it isn't going to happen now.
Old 08-25-07, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Smithers

You're kidding, right? This has to be one of the catchiest albums of the year. I listen to it all the time. And it's not typically the kind of music I like.