Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Whoo Hoo! George Michael and ... uh ... that other dude ... reunite as Wham!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-16-06, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

At least, that's what the Mirror says..

WHAM! MORE TIME

George Michael, 43, has persuaded exbandmate Andrew Ridgeley to reunite for a Christmas concert at London's Wembley Arena.

They will be joined by their backing singers Pepsi and Shirlie to make it the pop event of the year. Despite George's recent problems - last week he was cautioned for possession of cannabis after being found again slumped asleep at the wheel of his car - he has been determined to persuade Andrew, also 43, to team up with him again.

A friend revealed: "George is thrilled that Andrew's agreed to perform. It was something George had thought about for a long time. He couldn't be happier and can't wait for the gig."

Pop superstar George began his first tour in more than 15 years in Barcelona last month. Critics hailed his return to live performing, with one reviewer noting that although George's "trademark stubble is now greying, he still has one of the finest voices in British pop".

George and Andrew first met at Bushey Meads School in Hertfordshire, formed Wham! in 1981 and had 10 Top Ten hits in four years. They became the first Western pop act to tour China, but split in 1986 following a legendary farewell show called The Final at Wembley Stadium.
Old 10-16-06, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You mean Andrew Ridgely wasn't busy?!
Old 10-17-06, 02:18 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I thought either pepsi or shirlie had died?

apparently not, looks like they aren't too busy either!

Pepsi & Shirlie were a British pop duo who released two albums, All Right Now, in 1987 and "Changes" in 1991. Pepsi and Shirlie were Lawrie "Pepsi" DeMacque (born December 10, 1960 in Paddington) and Shirlie Holliman (born April 18, 1962 in Watford Hertfordshire), who had been a background vocalists for the group Wham!. Holliman's original singing partner, Dee C. Lee, had earlier left the group to marry Paul Weller.

They had two British top 10 hits: "Heartache", reached number 2 in the charts, and "Goodbye Stranger" which reached #9. "What's going on inside your head" was another very popular hit.

Their tours included a concert performed in Amman, Jordan.

Holliman has been married since 1988 to Martin Kemp, a former member of the group Spandau Ballet and now an actor, while DeMacque now resides in Wellington, New Zealand and works at a gift shop on Lambton Quay.
Old 10-17-06, 02:54 AM

wham! reuniting for a christmas concert? i wonder if they'll play my favorite holiday song. ('mamacita, donde esta santa clause' is in a very close second).
Old 10-17-06, 05:04 PM
Mod Emeritus

July 11, 1966 - January 18, 1990

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I thought either pepsi or shirlie had died?
That'd be Mel.

Last edited by benedict; 10-17-06 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-17-06, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just think that George needed a guy who could be DD.
Old 10-17-06, 11:06 PM

I really liked Andrew's solo single "Shake."

Weird that they are getting back together. It would be fun to see them perform some of those old songs. Wham Rap, Club Tropicana, etc.