DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Genesis reunion / tour discussion & news (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/479827-genesis-reunion-tour-discussion-news.html)

cdollaz 10-05-06 01:11 PM

Genesis reunion tour next year (with Collins, without Gabriel or Hackett)

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf...reform_1009718

Bitchin' as I love the Phil era better than the Gabriel era.

Supermallet 10-05-06 01:14 PM

Oh hell yes. I'd see that in a hot second. I didn't really expect Gabriel or Hackett to join back up.

cdollaz 10-05-06 01:16 PM

Actually I think there was some noise that Gabriel was up for it if the timing was right and he could fit it into his schedule, but I guess it wasn't. I guess he is taking another 10 years creating a new album or maybe producing some African tribal musicians.

cungar 10-05-06 02:29 PM

Though I'm a huge fan of early Genesis, I have to admit the shows that these 3 did in the early 80's with Chester Thompson and Daryl Steurmer were some of the best shows I ever saw. I'm not sure they can still do that kind of show a quarter century later. If they're just going to do their Invisible Touch/We Can't Dance MOR pop I'll skip it.

reverie 10-06-06 08:00 AM

That's awesome, but there's no way I'll be able to afford the tickets I'm sure. I didn't know Phil was divorced yet again. I had hoped to see Genesis on tour for "Calling All Stations", but I think that got scrapped here in the US. I really wish they had kept it up with Ray Wilson, it seemed a fine enough departure from the Phil years (unlike most Genesis fans, I'm fond of the whole, not particular to one singer or another).

DrRingDing 10-06-06 10:49 AM

Just reading that article...

Eighties rock giants GENESIS are reforming <b>a decade after lead singer PHIL COLLINS left the group to focus on a solo career</b>.
Doesn't that seem a bit off?

-ringding-

GuessWho 10-06-06 12:34 PM

MNo---he resigned in 1996 with this statement

"Having been in Genesis for 25 years, I felt it time to change direction in my musical life. For me now, it will be music for movies, some jazz projects, and of course my solo career. I wish the guys in Genesis all the very best in their future. We remain the best of friends."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_%28band%29

lordwow 10-06-06 12:56 PM

Umm yes.

Supermallet 10-06-06 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by DrRingDing
Just reading that article...

Doesn't that seem a bit off?

-ringding-

You might be confused because Collins' solo career started in 1981, but he didn't leave Genesis until 1996.

mndtrp 10-08-06 02:18 AM

This could be cool, but I'm already fearing the ticket prices.

reverie 10-20-06 07:22 AM

Another snippet of news, nothing really new though, just more Peter Gabriel saying he won't be involved:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6067646.stm

Although they seem to hint at the possibility of a new album as well.

blaineo 01-07-07 10:57 AM

Will Genesis Tour The US

Any News if Genesis will Tour the US after of before Europe?

vili 01-08-07 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by blaineo
Any News if Genesis will Tour the US after of before Europe?

They are talking about a 20-date US tour after Europe, but dates and venues have not yet been announced. It should follow more or less immediately after the European leg ends with a free concert in Rome on July 14.

blaineo 01-08-07 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by vili
They are talking about a 20-date US tour after Europe, but dates and venues have not yet been announced. It should follow more or less immediately after the European leg ends with a free concert in Rome on July 14.

Where did you hear this?

vili 01-08-07 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by blaineo
Where did you hear this?

Ummm. I must have read it in some news release.

Actually, if you look at the unofficial Genesis News website, the latest news item suggests that the North American leg of the tour will start in Toronto and end in Los Angeles: http://www.genesis-news.com/

cungar 04-23-07 03:03 PM

Any word on what songs they'll be playing? I just scored some decent seats at the Hollywood bowl and I'm praying they play some earlier/obscure stuff. Less Illegal Alien/Jesus he knows me and more Cinema Show/Squonk.

Supermallet 04-24-07 02:21 AM

Holy shit! The ticket prices go up to over $500 per ticket! I didn't even pay that much for primo seats to the Stones!

cungar 04-25-07 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Holy shit! The ticket prices go up to over $500 per ticket! I didn't even pay that much for primo seats to the Stones!

I scored 2 half way up the Hollywood Bowl for $77 each. You don't have to be close up for Genesis. The light show is half the show and they'll have huge video screens. I don't need to see a close up of Phil Collins perfectly round head.

Decker 04-26-07 01:41 AM

Will more dates be announced? There's no Vegas show listed yet and EVERYBODY comes to Vegas!

cineman 04-27-07 08:39 PM

They are apparently afraid of the South.

The We Can't Dance tour of the U.S. started in Dallas, this time they're not coming anywhere near it.

bigjim25 04-30-07 06:14 PM

Coming to the US May 15th 6CD/6DVD sets

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/image...EL._SS500_.jpg
<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="6"><tr valign="top"><td>Disc: 1 (Trick Of The Tail)
1. Dance On A Volcano
2. Entangled
3. Squonk
4. Mad Man Moon
5. Robbery, Assault And Battery
6. Ripples
7. A Trick Of The Tail
8. Los Endos
Disc: 2 (Wind & Wuthering)
1. Eleventh Earl Of Mar
2. One For The Vine
3. Your Own Special Way
4. Wot Gorilla?
5. All In A Mouse's Night
6. Blood On The Rooftops
7. Unquiet Slumbers For The Sleepers...
8. ...In That Quiet Earth
9. Afterglow
Disc: 3 (And Then There Were Three...)
1. Down And Out
2. Undertow
3. Ballad Of Big
4. Snowbound
5. Burning Rope
6. Deep In The Motherlode
7. Many Too Many
8. Scenes From A Night's Dream
9. Say It's Alright Joe
10. The Lady Lies
11. Follow You Follow Me

All are available seperate except Disc 6</td><td>Disc: 4 (Duke)
1. Behind The Lines
2. Duchess
3. Guide Vocal
4. Man Of Our Times
5. Misunderstanding
6. Heathaze
7. Turn It On Again
8. Alone Tonight
9. Cul-De-Sac
10. Please Don't Ask
11. Duke's Travels
12. Duke's End
Disc: 5 (Abacab)
1. Abacab
2. No Reply At All
3. Me And Sarah Jane
4. Keep It Dark
5. Medley: Dodo/Lurker
6. Who Dunnit?
7. Man On The Corner
8. Like It Or Not
9. Another Record
Disc: 6 (only in box set)
1. Paperlate
2. Evidence Of Autumn
3. Pigeons
4. You Might Recall
5. Naminanu
6. Inside And Out
7. Vancouver
8. Me And Virgil
9. It's Yourself
10. Match Of The Day
11. Open Door
12. The Day The Light Went Out
13. Submarine</tr> </table>

Supermallet 05-01-07 02:03 AM

Are the tracks on disc six b-sides and rarities, or just obscure album tracks?

reverie 05-01-07 09:28 AM

Grr! I've got all of their albums, and all of disc six except "Naminanu", "Vancouver", "It's Yourself", "Open Door", "The Day The Light Went Out" & "Submarine" (I may have one or two of those as well). I think it's time for me to finally put my foot down on not buying stupid reissues for one or two songs (easier to do when it's probably a super expensive box set).

Some of those tracks were on the original US release of "Three Sides Live" (not available anymore), and some are from an EP called "Spot The Pigeon". The rest I'm not sure about, b-sides if I had to guess.

cungar 05-01-07 10:34 AM

I picked up Wind and Wuthering and Trick of the Tail on SACD/NTSC Video imported for $25 a piece. They are both amazing SACDs. Hearing Afterglow and Squonk in surround is amazing after all these years. Can't wait for the Lamb, Selling England by the Pound and Foxtrot in surround.

cdollaz 05-01-07 10:40 AM

I will pick up that boxset. Anyone interested in my remastered editions of Trick Of The Tail, Wind & Wuthering, And Then There Were Three, Duke, and Abacab? I'll make you a good deal as they are going to be unneeded when I get this.