Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Hinder = more American corporate rock mush

Old 10-04-06, 06:14 PM
art
Banned

Hinder = more American corporate rock mush

Has anyone heard the band Hinder? They sound like a cross between Journey and Nickelback, with every bland cliche thrown in for the benefit of the mindless morons who run American radio. No wonder Bob Dylan said that American music was the worst he's heard in twenty years. American music, RIP.
Old 10-04-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maybe you shouldn't listen to the radio. There's plenty of excellent American music out there, but you have to be willing to turn off your radio... Or, at least, tune into the right channels, like LA's KCRW (and "Morning Becomes Eclectic" in particular). If you're at your computer, you can tune into almost any radio station in the net-connected world!
Old 10-04-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have not heard them. The new (to me) bands I listened to today include Mesh and The Open. I found them both interesting.

Perhaps, as the Dr suggests, you should not listen to radio. By supporting radio, you support bands like Hinder.
Old 10-04-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also, when you've probably just heard "lips of an angel" you'd probably think so, but they've got heavier and better material then that.
Old 10-04-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

oh art
Old 10-04-06, 06:53 PM
art
Banned

Oh please. Bands like Hinder put out their heterosexual love ballads to get airplay on conservative American radio, the point being that such exposure will enhance their album sales. It's a totally cynical move. Nickelback have also used this strategy.
Old 10-04-06, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A student of mine wanted to learn one of this band's songs...took me about 5 minutes to convince them not to bother and instead we started learning Master Of Puppets...I love my power...
Old 10-04-06, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by art
Oh please. Bands like Hinder put out their heterosexual love ballads to get airplay on conservative American radio, the point being that such exposure will enhance their album sales. It's a totally cynical move. Nickelback have also used this strategy.
Well your first post made some sense, but the 2nd post reveals the typical Art paranoia.
Old 10-04-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I dunno, I always thought that Nickelback and Hinder were pretty gay.
Old 10-04-06, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by art
Has anyone heard the band Hinder? They sound like a cross between Journey and Nickelback, with every bland cliche thrown in for the benefit of the mindless morons who run American radio. No wonder Bob Dylan said that American music was the worst he's heard in twenty years. American music, RIP.

I wouldn't waste 30 seconds on Bob Dylan. 60's folk garbage. His voice sounds like a goat being put thru a shredder. There, deal with that.
Old 10-04-06, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Applejack
I dunno, I always thought that Nickelback and Hinder were pretty gay.

No if they were gay Art would love them. That's the whole point.
Old 10-04-06, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by art
Do you have dictionary facts to support that?
Old 10-04-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I want more gay rock on my conservative radio.
Old 10-04-06, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Personally, I love how so many people think this is a new band/new album, when it's been out for over a year now. It always kills me when stuff like that happens.

Way to catch up with the times folks.

Oh, that, and when people totally don't get what a songs about - i.e. actually listen to the lyrics. Case in point, the other day a local DJ was talking on the air about how some woman had called in asking who the song "Lips Of An Angel" was by, because (and get this) she wanted to use it as her wedding song! The DJ was then asked her if she knew what the song was about, and informered her it was about a guy cheating on his significant other.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 10-04-06 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-05-06, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by art
If buying Hinder makes you mad, I'm buying a box of their album.
Old 10-05-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw them open for Godsmack several months ago. Thet were nothing special but not nearly as bad as some are making them out to be. I thought they were kind of like Buckcherry Lite.
Old 10-05-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If your looking for gay rock. Go pick up a Pansy Division album. They'll rock your cock off. All I've heard from Hinder is the TV ad for thier album. I've already determined I don't like them.
Old 10-05-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's not the bands fault for being shitty, it's yours for listening to the radio. Anyone who likes music and has any taste at all knows radio is shit. Hell, the only time I listen to it is when I have to change cds and even then I usually turn it down.

I only heard about hinder because columbia house thought it would be a prefered pick. Apparently buying zeppelin and ravonettes mean I would like hinder. Fuckers.

Last edited by lukewarmwater; 10-05-06 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-05-06, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Andalusia
Do you have dictionary facts to support that?
All Art has is a big chip on his shoulder and no one to care enough to knock it off.
Old 10-05-06, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cactusoly
...I thought they were kind of like Buckcherry Lite.
That would then make then as bad as everyone is saying.
Old 10-08-06, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
It's not the bands fault for being shitty, it's yours for listening to the radio. Anyone who likes music and has any taste at all knows radio is shit. Hell, the only time I listen to it is when I have to change cds and even then I usually turn it down.
That's pretty much my feelings as well.
Old 10-09-06, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by art
Hmm, gee whiz, I always though that it was because the overwhelming majority of Americans are heterosexual and gay love ballads just don't do it for them. It's called supply and demand - most artists out there are heterosexual, so they make heterosexual love ballads, and most listeners out there are heterosexual, so they want to hear heterosexual ballads, especially in the world of pop/rock that Hinder inhabits. It's quite simple really, pure logic. And if "Lips of an Angel" pisses you off that much with its heterosexuality, then you should go check out the video for their song "Get Stoned."

I do agree that Hinder is basically corporate rock mush, but of course there's much worse out there. I've got to give them a little credit though. I saw them open for Staind a little over a week ago and they do put on an energetic, entertaining show. And I must admit, I think "Better Than Me" is a fantastic song. I was four feet away from the stage at the concert and you could tell that the performance was very emotionally charged and heartfelt. They were by far my least favorite of all of the bands that played, but they're certainly not the worst band I've ever heard. They're nothing special, just another cookie-cutter pop/rock band like so many others with a couple catchy songs.
Old 10-09-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am actually seeing them in about a month and a half. They're alright but I'm mainly going for the band Eighteen Visions. And I'm trying to get a few people to go, because they really like "lips of an angel" They'll probably be surprised that there's a metalcore/post hardcore band opening and that while there are a few slow songs on the album, there are a bunch of rockers as well.
Old 10-14-06, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Personally, I love how so many people think this is a new band/new album, when it's been out for over a year now. It always kills me when stuff like that happens.

Way to catch up with the times folks.

Oh, that, and when people totally don't get what a songs about - i.e. actually listen to the lyrics. Case in point, the other day a local DJ was talking on the air about how some woman had called in asking who the song "Lips Of An Angel" was by, because (and get this) she wanted to use it as her wedding song! The DJ was then asked her if she knew what the song was about, and informered her it was about a guy cheating on his significant other.
Yeah, I hated the song when I heard it back a while ago, and I hate it now that radio overplays it to hell.

I also hate that every frakin' girl just looks at the title and thinks it's about them. Kinda like the girl in your story. The lyrics aren't that hard to understand. Morons nowadays.
Old 10-15-06, 07:54 AM
Mod Emeritus

Please remember to discuss the topic and not fellow members. Skimming through this thread I see a few posts that border on personal attacks &/or baiting. That is not a good thing.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.