DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Any collect cassette tapes? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/479176-any-collect-cassette-tapes.html)

HunterTexas 09-29-06 06:13 PM

Any collect cassette tapes?

Does anyone collect cassette tapes? I have a couple hundred for sale. If your interested, send me your email addess for a listing.

Alan Smithee 09-29-06 07:12 PM

I collect 8-tracks, have several hundred. :)

The Infidel 09-29-06 08:58 PM

I picked up an old Columbia House 8-track classical music box set at Goodwill not long ago. Interested?

EdTheRipper 09-29-06 09:09 PM

I used to collect cassettes but gave up. Haven't bought a new one in years now.

rw2516 09-29-06 10:19 PM

Some of the cassette singles may be valuable. I had the ZZ Top "Viva Las Vegas" one. The slip cover art was the face of a slot machine and in place of lemons and cherries were the faces of the band. Got $20 bucks for it about five years ago.

The Infidel 09-29-06 10:34 PM

Several years ago I signed up to be on A&M's mailing list, and got free promo cassette singles mailed to me. It didn't last long, but I got Sheryl Crow's "Run Baby Run" b/w "Leaving Las Vegas" from her first album, and Gin Blossom's "Hey Jealousy".

J-Dubya 09-30-06 02:50 PM

i threw mine out years ago, not even worth selling

JeffTheAlpaca 07-12-17 02:43 AM

Re: Any collect cassette tapes?

I can understand the appeal of vinyl but bringing back cassettes?

What are you thinking Millennials?

The artwork is dinky compared to vinyl and you don't risk losing music if a tape gets stuck or gets chewed out.

Cardsfan111 07-12-17 09:54 AM

I just started driving an old van that has a cassette player. I dusted off a case of tapes I had in the garage and have been playing them the last week or so. The sound isn't great, but I'm enjoying the trip down memory lane.

But no, I don't collect 'em.

SmackDaddy 07-12-17 10:46 AM

One of the bigger local record shops recently added cassettes to their inventory. I was picking up a couple of albums and asked about them, and he said that they move quite a bit of them.

PerryD 07-12-17 11:05 AM

Just a few months ago, I pitched a couple hundred cassettes that were collecting dust in my basement. Some may have been rare and/or valuable, who knows? I didn't want to bother.

I was able to sell off a bunch of CDs around 10 years ago for $30 to $100 each, it was amazing how many CDs that I had bought in the 80s were out of print and valuable. I imagine that most of them are available digitally today to own or stream. Yeah, I looked up just one example that I had sold, Voivod's Nothingface, is available mp3 album for $5.99, but out of print on CD and fetching $30+ used

starseed1981 07-12-17 11:55 AM

It's a millennial thing. And it makes no sense.

Mike86 07-12-17 12:11 PM

I don't really collect them but have some. Mainly just some old ones from my parents collections that I have some interest in but haven't actually bothered to buy on my own. I still have a CD/cassette deck too that I've had since like the mid nineties that I've never upgraded and still use on occasion. Nothing fancy but it works.

Jason 07-12-17 04:05 PM

I still have a bunch. Better unload while the unloadings good. :banana:

Of course, most of them are 80's metal, so I doubt the neckbeard crowd will want them anyhow :sad:

parker63 07-12-17 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 13112473)
I still have a bunch. Better unload while the unloadings good. :banana:

Of course, most of them are 80's metal, so I doubt the neckbeard crowd will want them anyhow :sad:

You'd be surprised. Just one example: Do a YouTube search for "Channel 33 RPM" which is mostly vinyl based *but* the guy is always searching for classic metal albums on cassette. And I'm sure he's not alone.

Don't ask me to explain it...I don't get it either, but there ya go.

JeffTheAlpaca 07-12-17 05:37 PM

Amoeba Records in Los Angeles carries them too.

beavis69 07-13-17 12:29 AM

Metalhead collectors are huge into vinyl and cassettes are making a comeback. Nothing is more irritating than finding a great band that releases a digital album and limited cassettes and vinyl, no cd.

Alan Smithee 07-13-17 02:04 AM

I still like them better than mp3s- the sound on a lot of pre-recorded cassettes was bad though. Many of them had an audible 'tapping' sound in the right channel.

Jason 07-13-17 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by parker63 (Post 13112517)
You'd be surprised. Just one example: Do a YouTube search for "Channel 33 RPM" which is mostly vinyl based *but* the guy is always searching for classic metal albums on cassette. And I'm sure he's not alone.

Don't ask me to explain it...I don't get it either, but there ya go.

Just checked two that are definitely not rare (Powerslave and Master of Puppets). Multiple copies sold for $9.99 with free shipping. Now I know what I'm doing this weekend!

cultshock 07-13-17 05:57 PM

Fuck, I knew I should have hung onto all my cassettes (including a lot of metal bands) back when I moved ten years ago. At that time they were getting no action on ebay so I tossed them all. :(

parker63 07-13-17 06:24 PM

It's stuff like this that makes me hesitant to ditch my LaserDisc collection. Basically worthless now and taking up space, but with my luck I'd dump them all then a year later they achieve "collectible" status... :(

Ash Ketchum 07-13-17 06:28 PM

All my Sony Walkmans stopped playing tapes years ago. I don't have anything to play them on now and I have hundreds of tapes I recorded off the radio (Howard Stern, Art Bell, several local hosts in NYC, etc.) and would love to listen to them again.

JeffTheAlpaca 07-13-17 06:35 PM

Amazon carries cassette players and you could get this

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-CFDS70BL...ssette+players