DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   What are some good bands that are like techno/soundtrack music? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/478996-what-some-good-bands-like-techno-soundtrack-music.html)

lukewarmwater 09-27-06 11:53 PM

What are some good bands that are like techno/soundtrack music?

I've been listening to a lot of music by guys like syntax, death in vegas, massive attack, the proppeller heads, etc.

What are some other good bands that have that type of music? It's not quite trance or house, I don't even know if it's techno so any help would be great.

Arpeggi 09-28-06 12:00 AM

Underworld

DrRingDing 09-28-06 03:17 AM

Thievery Corp

gatoinfeliz 09-28-06 05:23 AM

Portishead
Fischerspooner
Royskopp

Not bands but:

Tricky (was on some Massive Attack records)
Bjork (a little more commercial but try her Homogenic, Vespertine, and Medulla albums. Debut and Post are a little bit more dancier than the other albums so you might not like them.)

and lastly:

Goldfrapp - You will not be dissapointed. Let me break it down:

Felt Mountain - very lush and orchestral. Standout is Utopia.
Black Cherry - more electronic, less orchestral. Standouts are Twist, Strict Machine.
Supernature - the most commercial of the bunch which basically makes them pop music. It's like a meeting of the previous two albums with a little more Black Cherry though and some glam rock aspirations. Standouts are Time Out From The World, Satin Chic, Ride A White Horse, You Never Know.

Check these people out on youtube or something to catch their videos and see if you like.

P.S. Goldfrapp do a really good reworking of Baccara's Yes Sir, I Can Boogie.

The Bus 09-28-06 08:14 AM

Question is a bit vague, but I will second Portishead, Röyksopp, Goldfrapp, and Thievery Corporation. I love Tricky and Björk but they don't really belong on this list.

Other recommendations:
Air
B. Fleischmann
Boards of Canada
Fila Brazilia
Erlend_Øye
's DJ Kicks album
M83
Zero7

These are recommended but fall outside of this genre/mood: Crystal Method, Ladytron, U.N.K.L.E

There are the same sound but not as good as the others I mentioned: Faithless, Morcheeba.

Giles 09-28-06 08:27 AM

check out my favourite band called The Egg
which could be best described as jazz/electronic fusion:

all three albums are ace:

Albumen
Forwards
Travelator (my fave of the three)

Deep Forest is a little more 'electo-world' music but the live album 'Live in Japan' is an incredible performance from them.

Baby Mammoth
Monkey Mafia

Propellerheads is best described as Big Beat other artists in that subgenre include:

LoFidelity Allstars
Bentley Rhythm Ace
Freestylers
Lionrock

kakihara1 09-28-06 10:40 AM

Tracy and the Plastics - Culture for Pigeon

story 09-28-06 11:04 AM

Thievery Corporation, Dirty Vegas, Cassius, early Moby, DJ Tiesto, Fischerspooner, Air, Bjork, and Pearl Jam all come to mind. Well, not Pearl Jam. They just always happen to be on my mind. Hmm.

saoirse 09-28-06 12:09 PM

Air
BT
Royksopp
Shpongle

Giles 09-28-06 12:22 PM

oh and the group Bent

Hiro11 09-28-06 01:01 PM

Lots of good recommendations here, here's a few others:
Vitalic- pounding club music, but inventive and tight
Hot Chip- a mix of pop-ish singles and more mellow material
Lemon Jelly- similar to Hot Chip, their 02 and 05 releases are both great (and both have really cool covers to boot!)
The Knife- Chilly, almost goth electronica from Finland. "Silent Scream" is a great album, imagine early Souixie and the Banshees if they were an electronic band.
Junior Boys- a retro synth-pop band from canada. Sound a little like early OMD combined with The Postal Service.
Basement Jaxx- maybe an obvious recommendation but their first two albums are stone cold funk/electronic classics, IMO.
The Delays- very poppy electronica, some great singles.
Union of Knives- a new collective of dance music producers from LA. Sound a little like mid period New Order combined with current indie electronica.
The Notwist- interesting laptop/IDM band from Germany. they havent made anything since 03 but their album "Neon Golden" is pretty good.
Paul Van Dyk- his 2000 release "Out there and Back" is pretty much the last word in trancy Euro-beat/ Bourne Identity music...if you're into that stuff.

Also, I con't recommend (the already mentioned) Boards of Canada enough. Their 2005 album Campfire Headphase is truly excellent chill-out music and their debut basically invented microhouse.

Giles 09-28-06 01:06 PM

how could I forget Plaid

- System 7

- The Orb

Giles 09-28-06 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hiro11
The Delays- very poppy electronica, some great singles.

interesting choice there, since their sound is more 80's-tinged synth glampop, not really 'electronica' if you ask me. Great songs nonetheless.

if don't have it, check out the 'Lost In A Melody' single that includes a fun dancier remix of 'Lost in a Melody' (Tom Middleton Cosmos Remix)

the dance remix of 'Valentine' is also bouncey.

Giles 09-28-06 01:17 PM

Nightmares on Wax falls under the sound of Massive Attack - (who I'm seeing tonight :D - :) )

as does
Smith and Mighty
their Big World, Small World is highly recommended.

4Hero
Creating Patterns

heimerSWT 09-28-06 03:31 PM

Amon Tobin
Hybrid (especially their newest album "I Choose Noise"...it's great!)
Boards of Canada
Shpongle
Younger Brother
Juno Reactor
Leftfield
Crystal Method (a lot more mainstream, but they've done a ton of movies and become popular because of it)

DrRingDing 09-28-06 06:15 PM

Give Aphex Twin's <i>Selected Ambient Works 85-92</i> a spin too, while you're at it!
-ringding-

zombiezilla 09-28-06 06:22 PM

Rob Zombie/White Zombie remix CDs

kakihara1 09-29-06 10:10 AM

Add to my list (of one)

Frontline Assembly: Corroded Disorder
Mentallo and the Fixer: Revelations 23
Numb: Wasted Sky

neocheddar02 10-04-06 02:50 AM

Pick up Air's Moon Safari, one of my favorite albums (of any genre). Also Zero 7's first 2 are very good (especially their 1st). And Portishead's "Dummy" is absolutely amazing.

Ghostface180 10-04-06 10:52 AM

The Cinematic Orchestra
Esthero
BT

TripWire 10-04-06 12:35 PM

Rob Dougan, he's on about every movie trailer with "clubbed to death"
and Clint Mansell of course who did the hookup on Pi and Requiem for a Dream,

also ex NIN Chris Vrenna with his band "Tweaker" is a nice dark seduction
To go even darker check out ex Depeche Mode, Alan Wilder with his project "Recoil"

oh yeah, and previously mentioned Amon Tobin, can't get better than that.

starseed1981 10-04-06 01:52 PM

Juno Reactor > Everything