Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Sabbath Dio Reunion ... sort of

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-06, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Dio era Black Sabbath will playing festivals next year under the name Heaven and Hell. Apparently they cannot tour undre the name Black Sabbath or Black Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio due to "legal" reasons (in other words Sharron Osbourn won't let them)

the full story is on Blabbermouth

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=59307
Old 09-27-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I guess the money must be real good for them to work together again. And without Vinny being there who will Ronnie hang out with?

and to add:

I'll be first in line to buy tickets if it comes my way....
Old 09-27-06, 07:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well that is certainly interesting. Wonder what prompted this?
Old 09-27-06, 09:01 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
Well, they toured with the "featuring Toni Iommi" label for a few years also.

I'm a Dio fan. I'll see it if it comes around here. The Mob Rules.
Old 09-27-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Always preffered the Dio to Ozzy, hell I like the Gillan stuff better too...
Old 09-27-06, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by Osiris
Always preffered the Dio to Ozzy, hell I like the Gillan stuff better too...

Agree 100%

The first time I heard Sabbath it was with Dio fronting the band and he was a great fit.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-27-06 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-28-06, 06:14 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And Dio w/Sabbath live ALWAYS sounds sooo much better than w/Ozzy.
Old 09-28-06, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
I seem to remember something about the Sabbath/Ozzy reunion where Ozzy got part ownership of the Sabbath name - so they couldn't go out with Dio or Tony Martin, or anyone else for that matter and still call it "Black Sabbath."

Which is a shame since Sabbath with ANYONE else is better than Sabbath with Ozzy (as Ozzy can't/won't do any of the Dio era material, and that's some great stuff).

If this happens I'd love to catch a show. It may very likely be the last tour these guys do together.
Old 09-28-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I could swear Iommi owned the name. Or maybe it's part ownership with Sharon...oops! I meant Ozzy.

Maybe it has something to do with Dio saying he would never rejoin with "Black Sabbath" and Bill Ward said he only considers Black Sabbath to be the original four members. So using a different name for the tour eases those concerns.
Old 09-30-06, 04:18 AM
Mod Emeritus

I think there are already tribute bands with that name.

I always throught the name Diommi sounded good but realise that would be disrespectful to Bill & Geezer.

What about:

Ronnie & the Sabbaths, or
Dio & the Sabbaths, or
Ronnie Dio & the Sabbs, or

some similar combination?

I hope that Tony was well paid for tieing up the name he owned in order for the Reunion to go ahead. I suspect Sharon sees it as akin to a pension fund to exploit at a later date or maybe it is just one of her revenge things. Who can tell.
Old 09-30-06, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How bout The Geezers?
Old 09-30-06, 07:15 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I seem to remember something about the Sabbath/Ozzy reunion where Ozzy got part ownership of the Sabbath name - so they couldn't go out with Dio or Tony Martin, or anyone else for that matter and still call it "Black Sabbath."
Here is what Siegler has to say:
September 28, 2006
Heaven & Hell Rising in 2007?
File this story under the "very interesting rumour" department...

I've gotten quite a few emails about this subject today, and I wasn't planning on saying anything quite yet, but the fact that I keep getting emails has prompted me into saying something.

There is a story running today that claims that Ronnie James Dio, Bill Ward, Geezer Butler, & Tony Iommi are going to be touring in 2007 under the moniker of "Heaven & Hell". First off, let me copy the article verbatim, and then I'll have a few remarks about it:

Madrid, Spain-based webzine Rafabasa is reporting that former BLACK SABBATH members Tony Iommi, Ronnie James Dio, Geezer Butler and Bill Ward will rejoin forces once again under the HEAVEN & HELL banner for a number of festival appearances next summer.

According to Rafabasa, the four members cannot tour under the name BLACK SABBATH or "BLACK SABBATH with Ronnie James Dio" due to legal reasons.

No tour dates have yet been confirmed, but the band's booking agent is allegedly offering the group to the promoters of the most important heavy metal festivals that are set to take place next year.

If the report is to be believed, HEAVEN & HELL will play a set consisting of selections from every single SABBATH CD that Ronnie James Dio appeared on: "Heaven & Hell", "Mob Rules" and "Dehumanizer".

In an August 16, 2006 appearance on the syndicated radio show "Rockline", Dio had the following to say about the possibility of further collaborations with BLACK SABBATH guitarist Tony Iommi:

"We've already written one [new] song together. The reason for that is that there's a release coming out, it's called 'Black Sabbath: The Dio Years' ? they've already done one, of course, 'Black Sabbath: The Ozzy Years'; that was the beginning and, really, the best part of it all ? but they've decided to do one, again, 'Black Sabbath: The Dio Years', and we wanted to make it a little but more special, not just give you things you've not heard from a live perspective. These are two things you'll never hear again ? two new songs. We are going to do that. It's been fun already. The one we've done ? the one that I've done with Tony has been really wonderful ? just great to realize how magnificent a player he was. You forget that after 10 years at a time that you don't work with someone. So we are gonna be doing that. And I hope you'll like it. I think it'll be great."

On the rumors of him possibly rejoining BLACK SABBATH, Dio said, "There's always rumors about everything ? about a RAINBOW reunion, about a BLACK SABBATH reunion. Our purpose was to do this because we wanted to have this product be a bit more special than anything else ? not just, 'Here's a live track you've never heard before.' I mean, that's cool, but I'm sure people have heard that. We wanted to do something a bit more special, so the whole band would write and play these songs, and? They've wanted to hear them long enough, so here they are. But it's not anything that we've talked about leading to anything other than that. No, it's for that project."

A few remarks by me on all this:

Today was not the first time I had heard these rumours. Running this site I hear all kinds of things, and generally I tend to discount them - but this one had some more weight to it, so I decided to do some poking around on my own. While I can't get anyone to officially say anything about this, it does seem to have the air of an authentic story to me. Heck, I can't get any official word about who is even playing on the new tracks for the Dio Years set, besides Iommi & Dio. One would hope it's the same four guys (Iommi/Butler/Ward/Dio), but I can't get official confirmation of that one, either.

So it's known that the Dio Years box set is happening. When - who knows, although I would imagine sooner rather than later. What the contents of the set are is also officially unknown. I've been hearing some rumours about specific content, but I don't really want to spread any more FUD about that issue, so I'll leave that out for now. Suffice it to say if what I heard is true, fans will really like it.

The other issue I wanted to say something about was the bit about legally not being able to call themselves Black Sabbath. A few points about this.. Ronnie has stated on many interviews and on his website that he would not be rejoining Black Sabbath. Assuming you take that as true, the rumour I heard that it was a choice to call themselves Heaven & Hell and not Black Sabbath should be taken as correct. The other side to that is the ownership of "Black Sabbath". It's always been my knowledge that in the mid 80's Tony Iommi bought all the rights, and to this day retains such ownership. There was a lot of stories that in order to get Ozzy to come back in 1997, some of that ownership would have to be given to the Osbournes. Now I want to say this. I am a fan. A somewhat connected fan, but I still am a fan. I'm an idiot if I think I know everything - I do not. But I do pay attention, and I have never seen anything that tells me that the ownership situation of "Black Sabbath" has changed. My educated guess tells me that this bit about legally not being able to use the name Black Sabbath is incorrect, that it's a choice to do that. If I hear anything factually to counteract that, I will retract my opinion here.

Having said all this stuff, this is a very exciting possibility. To sum up:

Known facts:

There will be a "Black Sabbath: The Dio Years" box set. Said box set will contain at least two newly recorded tracks. Tony & Ronnie collaborated on the newly recorded tracks.

Rumours/Speculation:

These are all unconfirmed - so don't take it as fact, eh?

Geezer Butler & Bill Ward will comprise the rhythm section on the new tracks.
Iommi/Butler/Ward/Dio will tour in 2007 as "Heaven & Hell".
They are not billing themselves as "Black Sabbath" due to legal reasons. FALSE - see update below.

The Dio Years set may include the video mentioned by Dio on the Live Evil recordings.

Hopefully I can get some official confirmation about this stuff now that the "word is out" so to speak. I do work for Bill Ward & Geezer Butler, and am fairly friendly with Tony Iommi's people, so hopefully I can find out something I can officially talk about. The only "official" things are the three things listed above as "facts". The rest is speculation. I hope it's all true. And if they do tour, they'd better come to Dallas, dammit!

Hmm... Dio replaced Ozzy back in 1979, and now it's (in a fashion) being done again in 2007. Does this mean that a TV show with Ronnie going "WENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDY, the dog crapped on the carpet again!" is far behind?

UPDATE Sep 28: I've since gotten email from an official source that wishes to remain anonymous that I was 100% correct on the legal situation with Tony Iommi and the name "Black Sabbath". It's still his sandbox, so there's no legal reason that would stop them from going out under the name Black Sabbath should they choose to. Should this all come off, and the name "Heaven & Hell" is used, it's my belief that it was some artistic choice, and not a legal one.

Posted by Joe Siegler at 9:23 AM
I cannot say whether Siegler's source is credible. Those familiar with his site(s) can judge for themselves whether he tends to get it right more often than he gets it wrong.
Old 09-30-06, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Interesting. While Sharon may not own any part of the Black Sabbath name, she's probably told Iommi that if Black Sabbath ever does anything without Ozzy, he'll never do another reunion-type show, they'll never be on Ozzfest again, etc.
Old 09-30-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Sharon's a bitch. Film at 11.

They should call themselves "Blacker Sabbath."
Old 09-30-06, 09:32 PM
Banned by request

So did anyone notice this rumor, if true, means they'll ONLY play material from the Dio albums? I don't see how this is any better than Ozzy only performing Ozzy material (something which several members here complained about above). At least Ozzy and Sabbath had 5 excellent albums, while Dio and Sabbath only had 2.
Old 09-30-06, 10:01 PM
Banned by request

I'll have to disagree with you about Dehumanizer. Regardless, I don't see how people can complain about Ozzy only doing Ozzy material and then not complain about Dio only doing Dio material.
Old 09-30-06, 10:38 PM
Banned by request

I agree about the Tony Martin songs. But for his small size, Dio's ego isn't much smaller than Ozzy's.

I wonder why all these metal bands are getting back together lately. First Maiden (I guess "lately" being six years ago in their case), then Priest, now Dio-era Sabbath.
Old 10-01-06, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I agree about the Tony Martin songs. But for his small size, Dio's ego isn't much smaller than Ozzy's.
But Dio doesn't have a "sharon" out in the open to make the ego look 1000x worse.

I wonder why all these metal bands are getting back together lately. First Maiden (I guess "lately" being six years ago in their case), then Priest, now Dio-era Sabbath.

Uhm...$$$$$$$ And good for them. There's always an audience for Classic Metal bands.

Also, while Maiden and Priest had Singer changes they never went away. I know that some of the lesser fans may have dumped the bands when Halford and Dickinson left but neither band's core fanbase ever left them and they kept putting out albums.
Old 10-01-06, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
All three Dio albums are outstanding.
Agreed. Dio is one of the top Voices in Heavy Metal/hard rock.
Old 10-01-06, 07:37 AM
Mod Emeritus

I don't see how people can complain about Ozzy only doing Ozzy material and then not complain about Dio only doing Dio material.
I've seen the Dio flavour of Sabbath and, at that time, RJD sang material from the Ozzy era.

Maybe they think the three albums where Dio provided the vocals contain sufficient quality material to carry a show.

And, as they do now seem to be contemplating using a different name, why should they do a tribute to the early years?
Old 10-01-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by benedict
I've seen the Dio flavour of Sabbath and, at that time, RJD sang material from the Ozzy era.

Maybe they think the three albums where Dio provided the vocals contain sufficient quality material to carry a show.

And, as they do now seem to be contemplating using a different name, why should they do a tribute to the early years?
Dio did a lot of Ozzy songs on Live Evil, but at that point, he was just the new guy performing the band's back catalog, and it was no big deal. If they want/need to separate themselves from the Ozzy years, Dio should be able to pull off any of the non-Ozzy material. As long as they're willing to do a lot of Heaven and Hell/Mob Rules material, they can throw in a new song or two and a Dio classic or two. They'll be able to put together a killer setlist.
Old 10-01-06, 01:20 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Also, while Maiden and Priest had Singer changes they never went away. I know that some of the lesser fans may have dumped the bands when Halford and Dickinson left but neither band's core fanbase ever left them and they kept putting out albums.
Don't remind me. I'm still trying to put Virtual XI out of my mind.
Old 10-01-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

ok, fair enough. But you have to admit the "Clansman" from that CD is a kick ass classic Maiden song. When Bruce does it Live it kills.

Freeee-dooooom!!! Freeeee-doooooom!!!
Old 10-01-06, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

couldn't they just call themselves "Sabbath"?

anyway, I love non-Ozzy Black Sabbath, both Dio and Martin. All the Dio stuff is classic and Headless Cross is one of my favorite albums of all time.
Old 10-01-06, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought Virtual XI was pretty good, In fact just as good if not better than the 2 albums before Bruce left.... The X Factor on the other hand was probably Maiden's worst album of all.

Back on topic I saw Sabbath on the 1st reunion with Dio for the Dehumanizer tour and they kicked major. I was a little dissapointed that the only song they played from Mob Rules was the title track, but they played a few Ozzy era songs. I would prefer that they play only songs from the Dio albums and the new tracks from the box set. \m/ I think it should be called Black Sabbath with Dio because yes its Sabbath and deserves to be called so, but it would confuse most people if it was just called Black Sabbath since they dont have a clue.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.