DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Nellie McKay: Pretty Little Head - 10/31/06 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/478837-nellie-mckay-pretty-little-head-10-31-06-a.html)

auto 09-26-06 05:20 PM

Nellie McKay: Pretty Little Head - 10/31/06

from pitchfork:

Nellie McKay's Head Finally Gets Release Date

While it's far from reaching Clipse-like proportions, the delay on Nellie McKay's sophomore album Pretty Little Head has been substantial, to say the least. Originally slated for release late last year, the album was bumped to January 3 after a shake-up at Nellie's then label, Columbia Records, then shelved indefinitely when McKay split from Columbia over the winter holiday.

McKay essentially shrugged, and went on to star as Polly Peachum in a Broadway production of "The Threepenny Opera" (nabbing a Theatre World Award in the process). Now she's back, ready to put the full force of her own new label, Hungry Mouse, and SpinART's distribution muscle behind the October 31 release of Pretty Little Head-- now in double-disc format. Another two-disc release?? Must be some kind of record, man.

Pretty Little Head features 23 tracks in all, the same 23 tracks McKay fought with Columbia over keeping. It includes duets with Cyndi Lauper and k.d. lang and a 40-page booklet depicting McKay having a ball and raising a brouhaha recording the album.

Disc One:

01 Cupcake
02 Pink Chandelier
03 There You Are in Me
04 Yodel
05 The Big One
06 G.E.S.
07 I Will Be There
08 The Down Low
09 Long & Lazy River
10 I Am Nothing
11 Beecharmer [ft. Cyndi Lauper]
12 Swept Away

Disc Two:

01 Real Life
02 Tipperary
03 Gladd
04 Food
05 We Had It Right [ft. k.d. lang]
06 Columbia Is Bleeding
07 Lali Est Parisseux
08 Happy Flower
09 Mama & Me
10 Pounce
11 Old Enough

Conversation continued from this thread:

Columbia drops Nellie McKay

That thread got me to go out and buy the first lp and I'll be picking this one up as well.

DJLinus 09-26-06 09:42 PM

Well, it looks like this release actually warrants two discs, as opposed to her debut. Luckily, I didn't have to deal with that as I bought the DualDisc.

Anyway, good to know that this is finally coming out. Thanks for the heads-up.

Mr. Salty 09-26-06 10:34 PM

I was lucky enough to get a copy of the original single-disc version of this album, which Sony sent out to journalists before the company dropped McKay. It's a great album, and you can bet I'll plunk down the cash for the official two-disc version.

It would be great if this took off and made Sony look foolish for dumping her.

Digital Groove 10-23-06 08:02 PM

I can't wait to pick this up in a little over a week.

Finally!

DJLinus 01-14-07 07:37 AM

It's $6.99 at Best Buy this week. I neglected to buy it when it first came out, but I'll be picking it up today.

A review I read said it's even more political than her first album, which I'm less than thrilled about, but oh well.