Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Any fans of "gym class heroes'/

Old 09-23-06, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Any fans of "gym class heroes'/

The song "The Queen and I" has been getting some airplay on radio and mtv.
The album "as cruel as school children" is really good and is refreshing to hear real instruments backed up by a rapper and not samples.
So are there any other fans of theirs?
Old 09-25-06, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like 'em.

= J
Old 09-26-06, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I only know "Papercuts", but I dig that song.

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
The album "as cruel as school children" is really good and is refreshing to hear real instruments backed up by a rapper and not samples.
I highly suggest you check out the Roots, if you haven't already (although, on the last few albums they've added more samples). Better yet, go see them live - they put on one of the best shows I've ever seen, of any genre.
Old 09-26-06, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJLinus
I highly suggest you check out the Roots, if you haven't already (although, on the last few albums they've added more samples). Better yet, go see them live - they put on one of the best shows I've ever seen, of any genre.
Both of N*E*R*D's two albums were backed up by real instruments as well (Spymob on the former, Hugo and Williams on the latter).
Old 09-28-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like them, but their album didn't have a whole lot of lasting value for me. VERY hit and miss.
Old 09-28-06, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by FatTony
I like them, but their album didn't have a whole lot of lasting value for me. VERY hit and miss.
Couldn't agree more. If you like this sort of thing, and want any sort of comedy value - which GCH could do with, check out the UK's Goldie Lookin' Chain - if you hear a funnier song that ''Sister'', I will send you each $1.

disclaimer: I will not send you $1.
Old 03-22-07, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Kay, little pissed here. As you all prob know (or at least those that listen to top 40 radio) that Cupid's Chokehold has been getting extreme air play. I really like the song (girlfriend asked me to burn the song from the cd, well turns out that its not on the cd that i have (cardboard cover), and that it was a bonus track on a newly released version of the album (almost 2 months to the day that I had originally bought the album according to itunes.) Now idiot me had to buy the song from itunes and make a mix of random r&b/rap for her.
Old 03-22-07, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That Cupid Choke Hold song is a damn fine catchy tune... But if it gets caught in your head, you will be singing it for days!!!
Old 03-22-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was looking at someone's myspace and they had that song playing on their page. It was sampling a Supertramp song. Which one is that? I didn't bother remembering the song title, however I thought to myself "ohh, so thaaaat's Gym Class Heroes. not bad."
Old 03-22-07, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Take the Long way Home??
Old 03-22-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No, "Breakfast in America".

I forgot how much they sampled of it, but I do remember the "Take a look at my girlfriend. She's the only one I got." part.
Old 03-22-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Let's just say they copied Breakfast in America...they copied the "Take a look at my gf...." and the badababa badababa part!!!

i liked them UNTIL this
Old 03-22-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Kay, little pissed here. As you all prob know (or at least those that listen to top 40 radio) that Cupid's Chokehold has been getting extreme air play. I really like the song (girlfriend asked me to burn the song from the cd, well turns out that its not on the cd that i have (cardboard cover), and that it was a bonus track on a newly released version of the album (almost 2 months to the day that I had originally bought the album according to itunes.) Now idiot me had to buy the song from itunes and make a mix of random r&b/rap for her.
Yeah, that was pretty weak. But the song is also on their older, much better album, The Papercut Chronicles.

Anyway, seeing these guys tomorrow with Rx Bandits. I still maintain As Cruel As School Children is very uneven, so hopefully they put on a good show, but I have my doubts. At least RxB never disappoints.

Oh, and "Cupid's Chokehold" apparently hit #4 on the Billboard charts this week.
Old 03-22-07, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by FatTony
Yeah, that was pretty weak. But the song is also on their older, much better album, The Papercut Chronicles.

Anyway, seeing these guys tomorrow with Rx Bandits. I still maintain As Cruel As School Children is very uneven, so hopefully they put on a good show, but I have my doubts. At least RxB never disappoints.

Oh, and "Cupid's Chokehold" apparently hit #4 on the Billboard charts this week.
I wish I could see RX Bandits tomorrow
Old 03-22-07, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by paulringodaman
Let's just say they copied Breakfast in America...they copied the "Take a look at my gf...." and the badababa badababa part!!!

i liked them UNTIL this
i read on their website that it is for the most part it is a cover.
Old 03-22-07, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i mean, the lyrics are good and funny..its just that the copying goes to far!!!..like "come with me" by puff daddy is a good SAMPLING of a song (Kashmir)...this one goes too far
Old 03-24-07, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by paulringodaman
i mean, the lyrics are good and funny..its just that the copying goes to far!!!..like "come with me" by puff daddy is a good SAMPLING of a song (Kashmir)...this one goes too far
from their website
"If you guys didn’t already know and didn’t read the article, Cupid’s Chokehold is re-make of Breakfast in America by Roger Hodgson, formerly of Supertramp and Rick Davies of Supertramp. “Breakfast” was the title track of Supertramp’s biggest album that topped the charts for a year in 1979 and sold over 18 million copies. We are huge fans, and are grateful that Roger allowed us to use the song. Check out http://www.rogerhodgson.com to find out more about the inspiration behind Cupid…"