DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Any love for John Mayer's Continuum? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/477639-any-love-john-mayers-continuum.html)

thismeansyou 09-14-06 01:56 AM

Any love for John Mayer's Continuum?

Thought I might see a thread on this album but seems not... I think it's a pretty good album with a couple slow spots but some great tracks. Favourite track right now is Stop This Train, also really enjoying the cover of Hendrix's Bold As Love. Anyone else pick it up? Thoughts?

JAA 09-14-06 07:22 AM

I haven't picked up a copy yet, but I am reading (and hearing) nothing but raves about this release. Many calling it his best work BY FAR. We will see. :)

DVD Josh 09-14-06 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by JAA
I haven't picked up a copy yet, but I am reading (and hearing) nothing but raves about this release. Many calling it his best work BY FAR. We will see. :)

I've been a huge Mayer fan ever since I saw him in my university's chapel. I personally bought Inside Wants Out from him (well, it was a meet and greet, but still). I love John Mayer, and think he's a phenomenal talent.

However, I have no love for his new record. All of the energy is gone, replaced by chill mood music. There's no track like Neon, Clarity, even Come Back to Bed. It's just easy listening. The licks are still there, but it's a far cry from RFS or HT. If I was having a wine and cheese party, this is the record I'd play.

vedderstapp 09-14-06 12:21 PM

I really hope this doesn't come accross as a threadcrap, because it is not intended as such.

I'm a fan. I really enjoyed the first 2 albums, but there is something very... bland about this album. It's nothing that we haven't heard before from him, and listening to it, all I could think was ''Dido, Dido, Dido...''

Rocketdog2000 09-14-06 09:54 PM

Think I played Heavier Things maybe five or six times before I got completely bored with it. After that, I pretty much got burned out in general on old John.

The new album, however, is the best thing I've heard from him since RFS. True, there may be a chill vibe to most of it - but I've enjoyed it more and more with each listen. It's made me give a damn about him again, I'll also say at least that much.

conscience 09-16-06 10:21 AM

I just heard his single today on that VH1 countdown show. As someone (see: not a huge fan) who has only heard him through his singles (videos/radio), this single, that I can't remember the name of, is the best I have heard from him.

The main thing I disliked about him in the past was the whole "breathy" deal he had. The "Daughters" and "Body...Wonderland" songs grated on my nerves because of that. However, he didn't sound like that in this single which is a big plus, personally. Not to mention it justs "feels" like a better song than the two previous mentioned.

DVD Josh 09-16-06 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by conscience
I just heard his single today on that VH1 countdown show. As someone (see: not a huge fan) who has only heard him through his singles (videos/radio), this single, that I can't remember the name of, is the best I have heard from him.

The main thing I disliked about him in the past was the whole "breathy" deal he had. The "Daughters" and "Body...Wonderland" songs grated on my nerves because of that. However, he didn't sound like that in this single which is a big plus, personally. Not to mention it justs "feels" like a better song than the two previous mentioned.

To be fair, Daughers and Body is a Wonderland are not even remotely representative of his body of work.

Tom Banjo 09-16-06 03:16 PM

I've never had much of an interest in Mayer. I know that singles are not always the best way to judge an artist, but prior singles had turned me off, regardless. However, I've been hearing some stuff from this album on the radio and I like it. Very blue-sy. I may pick it up.

Dan G 09-16-06 05:33 PM

"Did anyone tell you this is John Mayer calling?"

Please tell me someone here knows where that's from.

conscience 09-16-06 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
To be fair, Daughers and Body is a Wonderland are not even remotely representative of his body of work.

And to be fair, I did make a note that I had only heard of his singles. ;)

C_Fletch 09-18-06 10:10 PM

I've got some great live concerts of Mayer and they are ALL amazing. This guy shines on stage. His studio stuff....eh....but his live stuff is spot on. In fact, I had no idea he was into the blues until I heard him live. He's got some decent skills and all I see is improvement. I'll be picking up the new CD.

mphtrilogy 09-21-06 09:57 AM

Juts picked it up, I think the guys is extemely underrated as a writer and an artist, unfortunately hes got some of that lyle Lovett Julia Roberts thing going on, you forget, this guy has a boatload of talent, is a terrific songwriter and an excellent guitarist.

I plan on buying anything from him in the forseeable future

Toad 09-21-06 10:28 PM

I liked Room for Squares at the time. I never liked Heavier Things.

Continuum, however, I feel is one of the best albums I've heard in a long, long time. It'll be a classic in the years to come.

spainlinx0 09-22-06 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dango727
"Did anyone tell you this is John Mayer calling?"

Please tell me someone here knows where that's from.

Hey buddy, another Ron and Fez fan here. God that show is amazing.

Back on topic I have never purchased an album of his, but I did like the single, and am contemplating checking it out. Anywhere I can check it out legally and free, or should I just pick it up blind?

DVD Josh 09-22-06 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Hey buddy, another Ron and Fez fan here. God that show is amazing.

Back on topic I have never purchased an album of his, but I did like the single, and am contemplating checking it out. Anywhere I can check it out legally and free, or should I just pick it up blind?

I believe that clearchannel is still streaming the album (with call out every 30 sec or so). Quality is pretty good.

thismeansyou 09-24-06 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Juts picked it up, I think the guys is extemely underrated as a writer and an artist, unfortunately hes got some of that lyle Lovett Julia Roberts thing going on, you forget, this guy has a boatload of talent, is a terrific songwriter and an excellent guitarist.

I plan on buying anything from him in the forseeable future

John Mayer is one of the very very few artists whose material I always go and purchase whether or not I've heard it, and whose career I follow closely. I dunno why everyone wants so desperately to hate him though. I'd point to left field and say that his career will be longer and more profound than the vast majority of "way better" artists out there gettin love from the indie kids and all.

DVD Josh 09-24-06 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by thismeansyou85
John Mayer is one of the very very few artists whose material I always go and purchase whether or not I've heard it, and whose career I follow closely. I dunno why everyone wants so desperately to hate him though. I'd point to left field and say that his career will be longer and more profound than the vast majority of "way better" artists out there gettin love from the indie kids and all.

Anyone who can pick up a guitar and make Neon come out of it has my vote.