Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommendations please. ROCK. female lead singer

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Recommendations please. ROCK. female lead singer

Old 12-23-06, 02:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll mention Poe, Nina Gordon and Mazzy Star
Old 12-23-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by radicaldeth
I also like Dawn Crosby from Fear of God
Also from Detante.
Old 12-23-06, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Showing my age here, but Leather Leone from Chastain was a favorite of mine.
Shit, I forgot about her. She had an awesome raw voice, perfect for metal. Chastain's "Ruler of the Wasteland" was a great album, as was "The 7th of Never".
Old 12-23-06, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of good bands mentioned, I'll second some of these.
Scarling, Jack off Jill, Kittie.

Those are some great bands with great albums I can't recommend enough. How could we make it 4 pages though without anyone mentioning My Ruin or Otep. I know there was some controversy about Otep using some distortion for her growling but the songs are still great. As for My Ruin, ugh, it's a shame none of you mentioned this band yet, very amazing band.
Old 07-21-13, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Recommendations please. ROCK. female lead singer

Necro bump!

The muthafucking SOUNDS! They're Indi-Rock and New Wave/Electronic all in one. Maja is a hottie! At 3:00 she gets her little nice ass slapped by a chick who jumped the stage and runs away from a second chick who also jumps the stage. haha

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Xvzim1SVeAY?list=FLjjugLx0TWzw4D87NxFmPvw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And her crotch shots are great all while retaining her classiness:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/--CzFYB92Zc?list=FLjjugLx0TWzw4D87NxFmPvw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This track is produced by James Iha formerly of The Smashing Pumpkins. It's grand:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CDZRNtSMkVE?list=FLjjugLx0TWzw4D87NxFmPvw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-21-13, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-LwNDtxN4Ys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-21-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uoXdhwj_kd4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-21-13, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/f55KlPe81Yw?list=PL8BEAF23915B9216F" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-21-13, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Some more groups/singers that started out after this thread was started (in 2006):

Halestorm. Everyone's probably heard this song due to it being in a commercial. I thought their two albums were good ... very much having an 80s/early 90s hair metal influence.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YpJAmlnBxoA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lykke Li. Her first album was an eclectic indie/alt mix. But the second is much more consistent in tone, sounding like something Phil Spector would produce is he around today.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-TTPGAy5H_E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And fitting in best with the OP looking for epic-sounding grandiose female rock, there's of course Florence and the Machine.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WbN0nX61rIs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-21-13, 02:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently disovered Heliotropes on Spotify, and have been listening to this album a lot over the past couple of months. Most definitely fall into the OP's "rock" category.

http://youtu.be/2xhmz5gBDqU
Old 08-05-13, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Grace Potter from Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dXttb52kx8

Melody Prochet of Melodys Echo Chamber
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v29I0srhPwg

It's more like psycheodelic pop ,but I would say they are one of the best newer bands I have heard in years.
Old 08-05-13, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THE SELECTER!! (Pauline Black)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XA-gTRqqTkM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-06-13, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm still digging The Pretty Reckless. Taylor Momsen has an awesome voice. And yeah, she's a hottie.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/txBfhpm1jI0?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/txBfhpm1jI0?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 08-07-13, 04:00 AM
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlK_Q57C3Rk

No love for the fabulous Exene Cervenka?

Watch the vid above to see a VERY pregnant woman scorch the house with the late, great X. (I think the posts say Tony Gilkyson is filling in for Billy Zoom on the blistering guitar solos).

If you watch, hope you stay to the end for one of the best songs of the late 20th-century--the more mellow but lyrically-cutting "See How We Are."

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kbDuaiocQE Added this live performance of Burning House of Love from 1985 Farm Aid concert. Even though John Doe takes lead vocals with Exene harmonizing (sort of), it gives a sense of her unique fashion stylings.

Last edited by creekdipper; 08-07-13 at 04:38 AM.
Old 08-07-13, 04:23 AM
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCQwBFlDvg4

If this ain't rock, then the Stones & Doors are bubble-gum. Juliana rocks, whether performing solo, Blake
Babies, w/ Dando and/or Lemonheads, etc.

BTW...since 'rock' is such a vague term encompassing so wide a variety (witness the entries in the R 'n' R HOF) and includes everything from Bowie & Talking Heads to Clash & Stooges...might as well throw in such diverse artists as Tori Amos, Laurie Anderson, Kate Bush, Bonnie Raitt, Aimee Mann, Sinead O'Connor, and Florence.

Shout-out to the great Johnette. What a powerhouse, emotional voice.

Last edited by creekdipper; 08-07-13 at 05:00 AM.
Old 08-07-13, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Purson- Prog/Doom Rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c90mXA_Jrc4
Old 08-07-13, 08:33 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Showing my age here, but Leather Leone from Chastain was a favorite of mine. And I liked how Doro Pesch mangled the english language in Warlock and when she went solo. I also like Dawn Crosby from Fear of God but can't remember which songs for the life of me. Anyhoo, carry on. ^^
I was surprised that no one mentioned Warlock in the thread. Doro has a powerful, gritty sound to her voice. Her solo work wasn't too bad, but I always liked the Warlock album. All We Are and I Rule the Ruins are great songs.
Old 08-07-13, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are old but to me the yin and yang of female rockers are Blondie and Patti Smith Group.
Old 08-07-13, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Shingai Shoniwa of the Noisettes---extremely talented woman:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1-RI8-eSQoQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wlx0zuMFJck" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-07-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by creekdipper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlK_Q57C3Rk

No love for the fabulous Exene Cervenka?

Watch the vid above to see a VERY pregnant woman scorch the house with the late, great X. (I think the posts say Tony Gilkyson is filling in for Billy Zoom on the blistering guitar solos).

If you watch, hope you stay to the end for one of the best songs of the late 20th-century--the more mellow but lyrically-cutting "See How We Are."

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kbDuaiocQE Added this live performance of Burning House of Love from 1985 Farm Aid concert. Even though John Doe takes lead vocals with Exene harmonizing (sort of), it gives a sense of her unique fashion stylings.
I thought "Ain't Love Grand" was a step down from their first four albums, but I might rank "Burning House of Love" as my favorite single from them. And to me, that's just about as perfect a guitar solo as you could find.
Old 08-07-13, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
THE SELECTER!! (Pauline Black)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XA-gTRqqTkM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Thanks a lot for this post.

My older sister played the hell out of these guys but I never knew what they were called. (Though I heard "On my radio" more than this song)
Old 08-07-13, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Anyone for some Japanese girls in evening gowns? (with one foot on the monitor, giving the first 3 rows quite a show)

That singer has since taken ill (won't say what) and has been replaced. here's a sampler with the new girl.

More recently they've dropped the hostess gown look for a more metal look. Me likey.

Old 08-07-13, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's another Japanese band similar to Aldious called Cyntia (they're on the same label too, I think). The vocals are a more poppy but I like them more than Aldious. I think the music is a bit catchier. As a death metal guy I shouldn't like this nearly as much as I do.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1bDVY5rCU20" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/g09UK5hNO34" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-07-13, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Thanks a lot for this post.

My older sister played the hell out of these guys but I never knew what they were called. (Though I heard "On my radio" more than this song)
Yep, I love "On My Radio". The Selecter were part of the second-wave ska in the UK in the late 70s, on Jerry Dammer's Two-Tone label with The Specials and The (English) Beat. And, they're still putting out records and touring, and I'm going to see them in September!
Old 08-09-13, 10:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
I thought "Ain't Love Grand" was a step down from their first four albums, but I might rank "Burning House of Love" as my favorite single from them. And to me, that's just about as perfect a guitar solo as you could find.
Not to belabor the point about Exene (far from the best technical singer around but fascinating to watch her uninhibited performances), here's her taking on lead vocals on a cover of Jerry Lee's "Breathless". Great audio/video & thought you might like Zoom's guitar solos here, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90T8sdfhpl8

Kinda reminds me of Tim Curry in RHPS.

Another name in the pot...Patty Smyth & Scandal (not Patty Smith). Kind of a Pat Benatar/Heart clone but turned in some strong vocals and some decent solo albums. Here she is from her heyday in the big hair 80's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOGC-YGXj_8

Youtube also has an interesting 2012 live outdoor set (around 1 hour) of her at age 55. Still bringin' on the heartbreak. Here's a clip of her doing "The Warrior" while walking around in the crowd, up into the stands, dancing with the fans, etc. Check out her mini-mini moo-moo...and the rather large security guy following her a few steps behind like a dog on a leash. Fun clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnXYjvEOmOQ

Last edited by creekdipper; 08-09-13 at 10:46 AM.