Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommendations please. ROCK. female lead singer

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Recommendations please. ROCK. female lead singer

Old 09-18-06, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You gotta like Slunt

Old 09-18-06, 04:43 PM

Lennon

I bet you would like her.
Old 09-18-06, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the suggestions all and please keep them coming.

So I've Youtubed most of these artists and so far I only really like Garbage and Nightwish. I guess I'm picky.
Old 09-18-06, 09:57 PM

Curve has a sound similar to Garbage.
Old 09-18-06, 10:56 PM
Banned

Oh yeah I forgot a good band...

Cocteau Twins!
Old 09-20-06, 12:14 AM
Mod Emeritus

Click for Amazon

More an observation than a recommendation but, just yesterday, I encountered the splendidly-named heavy band "Benedictum" whose lead singer is Veronica Freeman.

Last edited by benedict; 09-20-06 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Typographical & broken link
Old 09-20-06, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Another one I like, even though the are old now and I think only 1 cd available here is Whale. Man I would love to find a dvd quality copy of their video - anyone know of a video collection with this on it?

Last edited by Cusm; 09-20-06 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-20-06, 10:08 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ellen Aim
Old 09-20-06, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, check out that all-girl tribute album "Girls Got Rhythm". All cover songs though. But rock. With female lead singers.
Old 09-26-06, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Mary Prankster

One of my all-time favorites (although retired, at least the MP persona). She described her music as "cow punk". She's not metal, but she can rock.
Old 09-26-06, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
The Runaways
Garbage
The Donnas
Veruca Salt
Tracy Bonham
Old 10-29-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Nightwish [operatic metal]
Go Betty Go [energetic punk]
X-Ray Spex [punk/rock]
Dance Hall Crashers [ska]
Inkubus Sukkubus [gothic/rock]
Shonen Knife [lively, sometimes silly rock from Japan]

I'm not sure which, if any, of these bands are still together/performing.
Old 10-30-06, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another vote for Nightwish here. They are just a fabulous band, if you like operatic pseudo gothic metal.

If you don't mind beauty and the beast style vocals, check out:
Tristania
Theatre of Tragedy (well, their first 3 albums.....they fell apart after that)
Old 12-10-06, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,505 Posts
I'm going to bring this thread back to also recommend Nightwish (especially "Once") and Tristania (especially their "World of Glass" album). And speaking of Theatre of Tragedy, their singer Liv Kristine went on to form Leaves Eyes with her husband. I really like their stuff and especially recommend their second album "Vinland Saga". It has a bit of male death vocals, but its 95% Liv singing. Great stuff.
Old 12-10-06, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Go Betty Go [energetic punk]
They're still together. They play a lot of southern CA gigs. Here's the link to their Myspace page:

Go Betty Go!
Old 12-10-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm gonna prob. get shit for this, but whatever
Walls of Jericho "A Trigger Full of Promises"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bq1CQjuyx...elated&search=
Hardcore music with a female singer (most of the live clips had crappy sound) but their shows are nuts live.
Old 12-10-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love this thread. It's like you guys have been going through my record collection. I'll second:

Garbage, The Muffs, The Distillers, Joydrop, The Kills, L7, Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs, Rilo Kiley, Joan Jett, The Donnas, Sleater-Kinney, Liz Phair, PJ Harvey, The Chubbies, The Breeders, Sonic Youth, Lucious Jackson, Belly, Portishead, Cat Power, The Sundays, Concrete Blonde, Veruca Salt, Elastica, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Damone, Juliana Hatfield, Curve, Cocteau Twins, Whale, The Runaways, Tracy Bonham, and "Alright, This Time Just the Girls," volumes 1 and 2.

Someone also mentioned Betty Blowtorch- I don't have them, but I've got a Butt Trumpet CD which was their first incarnation.

Blake Babies was Juliana Hatfield's band before she went solo. They're worth checking out if you like her. And has no one mentioned Throwing Muses yet? That bewilders me- Kristin Hersh solo and her band 50 ft. Wave are also worth checking out. Melissa Auf der Maur, the bassist from Hole, has a solo album that rocks and is highly recommended by me. Android Lust has a good, dark, industrial sound - Ruby would be another one to look for if you like that sound.

Giant Drag is some great shoegazing rocking fun. Highly recommended.

Heartless Bastards has a lead singer with a great voice. Check them out.

Mary's Danish was a great alt. rock band from the late 80s/early 90s that should've been huge. Their albums are worth tracking down, especially Circa.

Carina Round's "The Disconnection" and Sarah Blasko's "The Overture & The Underscore" were both recent overlooked albums that impressed me. Looks like both are coming out with new albums soon too.

And did this thread really go so long without anyone mentioning Patti Smith? Horses is an essental album, and her latest, Trampin', from 2004 is great too.

I could name tons more... Velocity Girl, The Primitives, Patty Griffin's "Flaming Red" album, The Creatures (members of Siouxsie and the Banshees), Horrorpops, Boss Hog... etc.

Last edited by Tscott; 12-11-06 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-12-06, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Two groups I've not heard mentioned yet (but they're not metal/rock I suppose):

Sneaker Pimps: Becoming X specifically...I think after this album they dropped the singer and got a male singer....d'oh! Here's 6 Underground. Here's a slightly different sound (same album): Post Modern Sleaze. Finally, here's a song called Tesko Suicide. Never saw the singer before finding these videos...I've always found her voice to be very sexy...but damn she's hot to boot! I guess there's a bit of rock to it, but it's more trip-hop than anything else....which brings me to

Morcheeba: Big Calm is a great album. They're a true band, but a bit quiet to be considered rock I guess. Oddly, I can't seem to find any videos from the album Big Calm. Oh well, I suppose you can hear samples over at Amazon...and surely you folks know where else to go to hear more than 25-30 seconds.
Old 12-12-06, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by harpo787
Two groups I've not heard mentioned yet (but they're not metal/rock I suppose):
That hasn't stopped others in this thread from mentioning their favorite artists. I think the scope of the thread has gone beyond the original poster's intent.

Thanks for the sneaker pimps links. Sounds good. I'll have to keep an eye out for that album. I never knew enough about them to know they had a female singer for their first album.
Old 12-12-06, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess I'll throw a couple up while I'm here since Within Temptation-ish music is my favorite right now.

Delain - New band I believe. Started by Martijn Westerholt who was in Within Temptation years ago. I think he left right before they got really popular. Here's a video for my favorite song of theirs, Frozen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jkPS7Bqtmw

The Birthday Massacre - I was nearly killed for posting one of their videos on my site, but I love these guys. Okay, not so much killed, but people didn't seem to care for it. I've seen them describe as "synthrock" and I guess that's not too far off. Their two actual videos are of songs I'm not a big fan of, but check out Lovers End (and an overly gothy picture) on this site: http://vampirefreaks.com/u/thebirthdaymassacre

Last edited by Dr. Phibes; 12-12-06 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-12-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

jucifer is a great band. Girl singer/guitar player and a guy drummer. The older stuff is pretty slow and doomy, the newer stuff has a little more pop/rock in it. Great band on cd, and probably the loudest band I've ever watched.
Old 12-13-06, 11:37 PM

Jucifer is f'n great... their show here was so loud it got shut down by the cops.

I recommend: Halfcocked, Lennon, Eisley, PJ Harvey, Therina Bella, Juliette and The Licks, Paramore, Flee The Seen.
Old 12-16-06, 04:19 PM
Cool New Member

If you like Lacuna Coil and Evanescence, you'll probably also like the following:

After Forever
Epica
Leaves Eyes
Within Temptation

All are of a similar, goth metal style with female vocalists. After Forever is probably the best of these, but Leaves Eyes and the others are great as well.
Old 12-20-06, 11:39 PM

Showing my age here, but Leather Leone from Chastain was a favorite of mine. And I liked how Doro Pesch mangled the english language in Warlock and when she went solo. I also like Dawn Crosby from Fear of God but can't remember which songs for the life of me. Anyhoo, carry on. ^^
Old 12-22-06, 09:18 PM
Suspended

Lunachicks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.