Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

KISS - Comprehensive Early Years DVD!

Old 09-10-06, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

KISS - Comprehensive Early Years DVD!

I wasn't sure whether to put this on DVD talk or Music talk - but since it's a music DVD I'll try it here first....

KISS will be releasing a comprehensive DVD set covering their first 4 years as a recording and touring band (basically, the most celebrated part of their career). Everything that I've been wanting to see on a DVD (with the exception of one song) is on this set...

Here's the press release:

"KISSOLOGY VOLUME ONE 1974-1977" first installment on DVD in stores October 31, 2006.

Monumental 6 Hour 2-DVD Box Set Chronicals ascendary of KISS from New York glam rockers to Hottest Band In The Land.

NEVER BEFORE SEEN FOOTAGE of the band's rise to music stardom with more than 70 live performances and FOUR full concerts.

Signal the troops for an enormous KISS Army alert! KISS will be the subject of a three-volume DVD project (volumes 2 & 3 are being prepared for release in 2007) chonicling the career of the hottest band in rock & roll history. The rock 'n roll journey begins with "KISSOLOGY VOLUME ONE 1974-1977" which will be released on Halloween, Tuesday, October 31, 2006 for SRP $29.99.

Disc One of "KISSOLOGY VOLUME ONE 1974-1977" takes a look at early bar-band KISS quickly on the rise. 1974 is covered with a live concert in Long Beach as well as KISS' televised appearances on ABC's "In Concert" and an interview/performance on "The Mike Douglas Show." By 1975, KISS was playing San Francisco's fabled Winterland, headlining NBC's "Midnight Special" and making videos for "C'mon & Love Me" and "Rock And Roll All Night," all of wich is included on "KISSOLOGY VOLUME ONE 1974-1977". In 1976, KISS came to Detroit for an incendiary concert at the Motor City's Cobo Hall, also captured on Disc One.

Disc Two of "KISSOLOGY VOLUME ONE 1974-1977" picks up the threads of 1976 with the bands interview and performance of "Black Diamond" on "So It Goes" a must-see and much-discussed interview and performance of "King Of The Nighttime World" on "The Paul Lynde Halloween Special," and PERSONAL BAND FOOTAGE from May 1976. The 1977 material on Disc Two captures the band at the pinnacle of its international fame, performing to tens of thousands of fands at the legendary Budokan Hall in Tokyo in April '77 and, a little more than a month later, headlining "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert." Disc Two closes with scorching concert footage from The Summit in Houston, TX on September 2, 1977, showing KISS doing, quite simply, what the band still does better than anybody else: Rock & Roll All Night And Party Every Day!!!

View a trailer, and more information (including the FULL track listing) at http://www.flashenhanced.com/mtv/kis.../kissology.htm

Damn! Now THAT is a great music DVD release - on par with Iron Maiden's The Early Years DVD set.

I can't wait!
Old 09-10-06, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got 95% of this already, but will be nice to have the official versions, not to mention the better quality.

I sure wish they put the MSG show from '77 on there!

Glad to see they're finally releasing this stuff!

edit: just saw the "one sheet" on the site: THIRD BONUS DISK with 7 songs from MSG! Hopefully there's not too much overlapping.

Last edited by nodeerforamonth; 09-10-06 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-10-06, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fucking sweet! I have always hoped for the early years concerts to be released legitimately since Kiss was notorious for recording everything they ever did. My favorite concert is a black & white videoed concert in San Francisco '75 which has a cut on Exposed. I have several concerts on bootleg but have never found this one complete at a decent price. I hope that is the one mentioned above.

Can't wait. Thanks for posting this!
Old 09-11-06, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who doesn't love KISS?? (and wasting their money on everything KISS, hahah)....of course I'll be getting this
Old 09-11-06, 06:18 AM
Banned

I have been ready for this since VHS came out!
Old 09-11-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sign me up for 84-87!
Old 09-11-06, 08:01 PM
Banned

LOL, those are Gene's "I look like Phyllis Diller with a bad dye job" years...
Old 09-11-06, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
I have been ready for this since VHS came out!
I can finally retire my bootleg vhs copy of the Winterland show. Can't wait for this release.
Old 09-12-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was looking at stuff like this on eBay recently, but I held off. Glad I did.
Old 09-12-06, 02:18 PM

Awesome! I'm all over this!
Old 09-12-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just read about this elsewhere online last night, and was very psyched to hear about it. Can't wait for this, and the other two volumes coming next year, too!
Old 10-19-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone hear anything about THREE different bonus disks??!?!

I'm hearing (and keep in mind, it's just some "reviewer" on Amazon.com) that the Walmart bonus disk will be Largo '77, the Best Buy bonus disk will be the first night of the Detroit '76 trilogy of shows, and all other stores will be getting the Madison Square Garden show.

I guess I'll be buying three set of this, if true. Can anyone provide any official information?
Old 10-19-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Guess i'll throw this in here..

Does anyone know about the KISS special/concert that was on HBO in the late 70's (I wanna say 1977 or 1978) and if it's on DVD anywhere (or will be on this one)?
Old 10-19-06, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
the Walmart bonus disk will be Largo '77
The Largo MD show is pretty good. I also can finally trash all of my beat up
VHS bootlegs.
Old 10-19-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Guess i'll throw this in here..

Does anyone know about the KISS special/concert that was on HBO in the late 70's (I wanna say 1977 or 1978) and if it's on DVD anywhere (or will be on this one)?
That's from Tokyo. I think it's on the disk.
Old 10-19-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate to say it but the bonus disc idea sucks. I would like to have all three but for sure will not be buying 3 separate sets. Irritating.
Old 10-20-06, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I do wish they would just put out two separate sets, but $60 for 7 concerts is still way cheaper than I've paid for 4th generation bootlegs of the same shows.
Old 10-20-06, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Anyone hear anything about THREE different bonus disks??!?!

I'm hearing (and keep in mind, it's just some "reviewer" on Amazon.com) that the Walmart bonus disk will be Largo '77, the Best Buy bonus disk will be the first night of the Detroit '76 trilogy of shows, and all other stores will be getting the Madison Square Garden show.

I guess I'll be buying three set of this, if true. Can anyone provide any official information?
Question to all of the KISS experts ... I'm only going to buy one of these if this is the bonus disc situation, so which one would be the best one to get? I'm leaning toward the Madison Square Garden one (Target, Circuit City?) I think.
Old 10-21-06, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wasn't the Largo show from '79? (the same one they've used clips from on a couple of their early 90's home videos?)

I'd love to get Largo '79. The Madison Square Garden '77 was poorly shot and the band wasn't at the top of their game (butterflies and all - the show they'd wanted to play all their lives, practically). The Tokyo '77 would be pretty cool, though. I've seen clips from it, and it's a great show.
Old 10-21-06, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, Largo (Maryland) was 79 from the Dynasty tour. It was cool because they all did songs from thier solo albums. Are you sure that's one of the bonus shows, because a show from 79 should be on the next DVD set.

and performance of "King Of The Nighttime World" on "The Paul Lynde Halloween Special,"
ack! I hope they have te whole show and not just King of the Nighttime World, They was the only "video" TV performance of Beth.
Old 10-21-06, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Question to all of the KISS experts ... I'm only going to buy one of these if this is the bonus disc situation, so which one would be the best one to get? I'm leaning toward the Madison Square Garden one (Target, Circuit City?) I think.
I would say the Madison Square Garden show. That was a raw, smokin' set!!! I got a really crappy version of it, and I can't wait to get the real thing!

So it's official? There ARE three different bonus disks?
Old 10-21-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

KISSonline has the following information regarding (one of) the bonus discs

The folks at FONTANA Distribution and VH1 CLASSIC RECORDS have coordinated a KISSOLOGY pre-order campaign with dozens of independent record stores across the country. While tickets for all of the local screenings can be purchased at http://www.bigscreenconcerts.com/ind...ISSonlineblast ; if you live in California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Maine, Minnesota, Nevada, Oregon, New York, New Jersey, Texas, or Utah; beginning this weekend you may preorder KISSology (featuring a limited edition bonus 3rd disc: Madison Square Garden ’77) at the following independent record stores, and receive a pass for “KISS ON THE BIG SCREEN” [OCTOBER 26th ONLY] WHILE SUPPLIES LAST (for showings at their local theaters). Please call these stores ahead of time for confirmation of details and availability. IT’S KISSIN’ TIME U.S.A!
The record stores are listed below. They are:

Jackpot Portland, OR
DITV Minneapolis, MN
Dimples Sacramento, CA
Rasputin San Francisco, CA
Virgin Orange, CA
J&R New York, NY
Bullmoose Brunswick, ME
School Kids Athens, GA
Criminal Atlanta, GA
Waterloo Austin, TX
Virgin Dallas, TX
Vintage Vinyl Fords, NJ
Park Ave Orlando, FL
Fingerprints Long Beach, CA
Rhino Claremont, CA
Lous San Diego, CA
Mad Platter Riverside, CA
Independent Col. Springs, CO
Angelos Lakewood, CO
Twist & Shout Denver, CO
Zia Las Vegas, NV
Greywhale Sal Lake City, UT
So the question is, are these indie record stores the only ones getting the exclusive, or is it a limited-time-offer type of thing, or are other stores getting different bonus discs.

Leave it to Gene Simmons to take a really good concept and be a total dick about it. He should be married to Sharon Osborne.
Old 10-21-06, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, the MSG bonus disk was listed on their site last month (buried in the "one sheet" webpage). No official mention of 2 other bonus disks.

It actually would be a work of genius to have 3 bonus disks. If all the KISS fans buy 3 copies of the set, then that's 3 times the amount of sales they get. Looks really good for charting purposes.

Last edited by nodeerforamonth; 10-21-06 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-22-06, 11:29 AM

There putting out all there live cds in one box set including the unreleased vancouver show from 1999
Old 10-22-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm still skeptical that there are going to be three different bonus discs, especially since the Largo show would be a natural for the next set since it was in 79.

FYI, Friday October 27th, VH1 classic will have a "Hanging with Kiss" special followed by "Kiss Live at the Summit"

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.